Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

Sounds like ur going to be getting a new set of irons. Good luck with them i luv mine.Iim not as good of a golfer though i cant get 2 to 3 yrds i dont think in all 5 shots

Well I went out today and I hit the new TM 6 Iron I received and compared it to my JPX Iron. I personally did not care for it. It felt clunky and did not feel as smooth as my iron. I did hit it further on a few shots but I did not like the feel of it. I think the Mizuno’s feel better when hit solid. It also seemed like I could work the ball better with the JPX. On thing to note is that the JPS was fitted for me and is ½” over in length.
I do like the looks of the TM and I also like the stock grip. Two of my sons also hit the TM and liked it. One of my sons is playing the Burner Plus and the other is playing the Big Berthas. Both hit them during our round and seemed to hit it very solid. I asked my one son that played the Burners how it compared to his and he said it felt about the same.
Im going to let my dad hit them tomorrow, he also plays burners and see what he thinks of them. He is a very good player and likes TM a lot.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in with your findings rrpruett. That surprises me that your one boy felt that they were the same as his older Burner irons. I'd like to hear his thoughts after being able to hit more than just 6i. You're playing a sweet set of irons with your JPX 800 and you're used to them so it would be hard for the Burner 2.0 to completely knock your socks off, but yeah I'd be interested to hear what you thought after hitting all irons and not just 6i. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for chiming in with your findings rrpruett. That surprises me that your one boy felt that they were the same as his older Burner irons. I'd like to hear his thoughts after being able to hit more than just 6i. You're playing a sweet set of irons with your JPX 800 and you're used to them so it would be hard for the Burner 2.0 to completely knock your socks off, but yeah I'd be interested to hear what you thought after hitting all irons and not just 6i. Thanks for the feedback!

I only got the 6 iron from Tm in the giveaway. I actually put my name in for the free 6 iron when i was looking to buy some irons about a month or more ago. Since then I purchased the JPX's. My son is using the 2010 Burner Plus irons with a steel shaft in stiff so the 6 iron I received is graphite and regular so not the same set up as his, but he did like it. My other sons that was hitting the Calloways is in the market for some new irons and will be looking at the TM 2.0 so if he gets a set, I can compare all the irons to mine.

Thanks.

I only got the 6 iron from Tm in the giveaway. I actually put my name in for the free 6 iron when i was looking to buy some irons about a month or more ago. Since then I purchased the JPX's. My son is using the 2010 Burner Plus irons with a steel shaft in stiff so the 6 iron I received is graphite and regular so not the same set up as his, but he did like it. My other sons that was hitting the Calloways is in the market for some new irons and will be looking at the TM 2.0 so if he gets a set, I can compare all the irons to mine.

Thanks.
Right, yeah I read that you rec'd the 6 iron so that explains the limitations on your comparison. The shaft thing is huge too actually, not really comparing apples to apples anymore when you're looking at one with a graphite shaft and one with steel. Thanks for the write up all the same buddy!

Thanks.

Thats just mean, I like one-T and TC myself and would never hit them :D . Good right up, but as P4B said it is going to be hard to compare when one has a graphite shaft.

Update to my previous essay......I had my first somewhat competitive round with the 2.0's on Saturday. Apart from having a really bad driving day, the irons performed brilliantly. What really surprised me was the control, consistency and accuracy of 9i - SW. I made 3 easy birdies on par 4's by hitting an, AW and two SW's to between 3 feet and 2 inches! Also then chipped in for a 4th birdie with a 7i (something I have done in ages!) All in all I am very impressed with the irons, and had more fun though 18 holes than I have in 3 years.

One or two lessons learned though:
1. You can't/mustn't try and force extra yards out of these by trying to hit them too hard, as I found that the impact/strike can become a little iffy/unpredictable resulting in a drop in consistency.
2. The shorter irons spin the ball a lot (without cutting up the ball cover, which I find very interesting), so you need to take that into account when looking at distances.

More to come - but in the mean time I now need to find a driver to complement the irons!!!! I might be forced to get over my abject disgust for the look of the R11 and try it out......

Update to my previous essay......I had my first somewhat competitive round with the 2.0's on Saturday. Apart from having a really bad driving day, the irons performed brilliantly. What really surprised me was the control, consistency and accuracy of 9i - SW. I made 3 easy birdies on par 4's by hitting an, AW and two SW's to between 3 feet and 2 inches! Also then chipped in for a 4th birdie with a 7i (something I have done in ages!) All in all I am very impressed with the irons, and had more fun though 18 holes than I have in 3 years.

One or two lessons learned though:
1. You can't/mustn't try and force extra yards out of these by trying to hit them too hard, as I found that the impact/strike can become a little iffy/unpredictable resulting in a drop in consistency.
2. The shorter irons spin the ball a lot (without cutting up the ball cover, which I find very interesting), so you need to take that into account when looking at distances.

More to come - but in the mean time I now need to find a driver to complement the irons!!!! I might be forced to get over my abject disgust for the look of the R11 and try it out......

Nice update andre! I love that you are back out there and not only having fun, butscoring. I would agree with you about trying to "force" the extra distance out of these irons. They don't need that at all. I am most inconsistent with them when I get after it myself, and there's really just no need to do that.

Great stuff Andre, I think everyone who has played these would agree with you that they must be swung with an even smooth tempo, and if you try to go after one, bad results will occur. I actually think this is a good thing for the amateur golfer.

Thanks for the update Andre, nice shooting with the irons and wedges buddy! I also found the same exact thing you did on trying to force extra distance out of an iron shot, not a good thing. Really there is no point in squeezing any more distance out of an already incredibly long iron anyway so it shouldn't be too hard to avoid. Keep the updtes rolling in Andre, I think you've got quite a few people enjoying the posts you're making in this thread.

I love me some 2.0's. Turns out it wasn't a honeymoon, the Ci9's will be leaving soon because of it, this is full fledged love here!

Just picked up a set last Friday. Tried out of the Callaway Razr X and these. My old clubs where the x22. I like the feel of the 2.0 better. I was never a fan of the uniflex shaft on the x22. I ended up going with the stock size and lie. When I got fitted I was told I could go a little smaller with the shaft but was told I was hitting the stock size so good to just try them out to see how I end up liking them. I can't wait to try them out this weekend.

after following this thread for quite some time, i've purchased a custom fitted set of burner 2.0s.. i have a 4-pw 2* upright with kbs 90 stiff shafts.. with approx 3 range sessions and a 18 hole round, all i can say is WOW! i can definitely reinforce what most are getting with these irons.. 1) they're about 1 - 1 1/2 clubs longer than my previous irons.. 2) high penetrating flight that isn't ballooning 3) 2 tone face is great for aiming which results to accurate shots 4) very forgiving and will let you know if you've mishit ie on the toe 5) and of course sexy to look at!!

still need more course time to get used to the distances on each club.. its giving me lots of confidence in shots and want to play golf more.. i've noticed that they work better with a smooth tempo.. the stock grips isn't much of an issue with nice feel.. will update as i have a chance to play them more often with photos of wear

after following this thread for quite some time, i've purchased a custom fitted set of burner 2.0s.. i have a 4-pw 2* upright with kbs 90 stiff shafts.. with approx 3 range sessions and a 18 hole round, all i can say is WOW! i can definitely reinforce what most are getting with these irons.. 1) they're about 1 - 1 1/2 clubs longer than my previous irons.. 2) high penetrating flight that isn't ballooning 3) 2 tone face is great for aiming which results to accurate shots 4) very forgiving and will let you know if you've mishit ie on the toe 5) and of course sexy to look at!!

still need more course time to get used to the distances on each club.. its giving me lots of confidence in shots and want to play golf more.. i've noticed that they work better with a smooth tempo.. the stock grips isn't much of an issue with nice feel.. will update as i have a chance to play them more often with photos of wear

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I think the things that you highlight are exactly what I like so much about these irons.

Mine are showing some wear but it's not something that overly concerns me and it's something that I would expect with this type of finish.

Good luck with your adjustment period. It's the one thing that took me a decent amount of time, adjusting to my new distances.

I find it pretty amazing that people are still following this thread and still buying sets of 2.0's after reading it. Its very cool. The 2.0's are such great irons and up to this point are a favorite of mine.

I find it pretty amazing that people are still following this thread and still buying sets of 2.0's after reading it. Its very cool. The 2.0's are such great irons and up to this point are a favorite of mine.

Yeah, I think it is pretty cool too dude. I like it when new 2.0 owners chime in though, it reminds me of how excited I was to unbox these beauties!

Yeah, I think it is pretty cool too dude. I like it when new 2.0 owners chime in though, it reminds me of how excited I was to unbox these beauties!

Yeah how cool was that unboxing the 2.0's back at PGA National at the THP outing? Well.. haha

Yeah how cool was that unboxing the 2.0's back at PGA National at the THP outing? Well.. haha

I think you know exactly how cool that was right now, don't you?

Do you know if the 2.0 irons can be bent if standard lie is not working? I would imagine some buyers out there are purchasing them off the shelf without a fitting.

I think you know exactly how cool that was right now, don't you?

lol. Well played forum leader. And since I know exactly what you speak of its looking like the 2.0's will be making one last run this weekend before testing begins. Seems like I just got them too.

Do you know if the 2.0 irons can be bent if standard lie is not working? I would imagine some buyers out there are purchasing them off the shelf without a fitting.

They can be but its dicey. FLTC had his bent a little and I remember a few others in here talking about it. The interesting thing is it seems quite a few people had their 2.0's checked and the lie's were way off.

Im sure they can be bent a little bit Gray, but if you are on the fence about them, I would definitely get a fitting first.

I had mine bent OG but boy! is that some hard metal. I was only able to get about a degree bent upright before my club fitter/builder and I were getting uncomfortable. I would recommend that if someone needed them seriously altered, send them to Taylormade and let them do it.

KellyBo won a six iron 2.0 and it arrived yesterday. I will be taking it out on the course today to get a feel for it. Hers came graphite with an "M" flex. I suppose that is senior flex but I will get it a twirl and see what she will do.

I decided to game the 2.0s during the Kingdom weekend, I will be playing with other winners and TaylorMade staffers and since I hadn't gotten the TP MBs out for a real round yet I wasn't sure if I trusted my swing to blades in front of other people just yet. I went and hit the 2.0s yesterday to get reaquainted with them and I immediately remember how much I love these irons!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back