Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally felt breaking 100 was much more exciting than breaking 90. You try so hard and hard to break 100 and then when you finally do it, it's like a weight lifted off of your shoulders. Unfortunately, I've only broke 90 once and I had God-mode on that day, hitting every single shot perfect (well perfect for me anyway).

I feel the same way with 80. I've only done 80 once but it was a great feeling. Till knowing I gave away 2 strokes in the end.

so I only broke 100 one time last year. I've been playing for roughly a year and a half, if that. I'm setting up 5 hours of lessons so I can say goodbye to 100 forever.

short game = my nemesis

Short game is my nemesis too. My strategy is to practice by going to the short course, (par 29 local muni) with only putter and wedges (and maybe one wood for the par 4s) and see how low I can score. I got a 45 last time. My belief is that if I can get this consistently under 40, I will be ready for a double digit score on the regular par 72 course.

Part of the membership to my club is a par 3 course that's 5 minutes form my house. In the summer, I will head over there straight from the office. It takes an hour to get it in, walking. No woods, only irons, as the "par 4s" don't require a shot longer than 200 yds to the green from the box. When I get out and do that quite a bit, my short game improves quite well. Didn't get to do it much last year, so the short game kind of fell to the wayside, but gonna ramp it up again this year.

So,got in another 9 today, and I think it's time to take a break from the game for a while. Not sure what was going on, but absolutely nothing workd today. Shot a 71 with 13 lost balls for 9 holes. New record for me, both in high 9 hole score and most lost balls in 9 holes. $ of those lost balls I never even saw after contact was made. Never found a fairway. Yep, maybe a month off will be good for me. Who knows, I'll probably be out again later on in the week.

So,got in another 9 today, and I think it's time to take a break from the game for a while. Not sure what was going on, but absolutely nothing workd today. Shot a 71 with 13 lost balls for 9 holes. New record for me, both in high 9 hole score and most lost balls in 9 holes. $ of those lost balls I never even saw after contact was made. Never found a fairway. Yep, maybe a month off will be good for me. Who knows, I'll probably be out again later on in the week.

Sorry to hear that, Ryan. Hopefully you can bounce back soon man.

Yeah I'm hoping so. I've bene looking forward to this all week because it was supposed to be in the mid 50s, but they changed it at the last minute and didn't call me to let me know, so it was in the mid to high 30s while I was out there, all bundled up. I had on so much that I couldn't swing properly and I'm hoping that's all it really was. Now I goota find a way to afford some real winter golf outerwear.

Ouch I guess i'll consider myself lucky at this game. Played twice this weekend and shot 83 on friday but the saturday shot 90. A massive hook came out of no where from day 1 to day 1. But it was still manageable and was lucky to find the fairway even with the hook.

A nice break is needed sometimes

Yeah, a break is good sometimes, but, when you were forced to take on for 3 months due to weather and it's really only like the 3rd week you've been able to play and already need one, that's a bad sign. To be real honest, I'm thinking about selling everything and taking a couple of years off and come back when I can afford to do things like practice and take lessons. Otherwise, I'm basically fooling my self into thinking I'm getting better when I got out and get lucky for a couple of rounds. Really, tho, I'd be in much trouble for that as I pay a membership fee every month and can't resign my membership until february of next year.

I've played 4 times this year and 120, 120, 107 & 110. Three of those were first time playing that specific course though. I feel like I'm hitting the ball a lot better but still losing balls and then the score creeps up on me. I should probably start practicing during the week.

I've taken a few steps back on my journey to leave the club. I have a bad case of ******. I decided it was lessons or I was going to have to hang up the bag.

Tomorrow is my first full lesson.

I couldn't read every page of this thread, but at least on this last page, I thought I'd share my thoughts. Sometimes, golf can be ultra aggravating. It can cause us to completely lose our minds. I can't think of any other sport that causes average every day people to swear like sailors and throw their expensive equipment around. It's especially those days when nothing seems to work right, that we think we need to just take off from golf for the season. Chances are, if your this aggravated about golf, then you like to play golf. It's a love/hate relationship.

Anyone who has ever been to law school likely has heard the phrase "Law is a jealous mistress." Well, golf is a vengeful demonic grass demon whose greatest pleasure is pissing off every golfer in the world with the multitude of bad breaks, bad shots, falling twigs, or in the case of my buddy last year, a dog who ran onto the course, picked up his ball and took off running. It's golf, crazy stuff happens, and if all you have are negative thoughts about what your next shot will be, then the demon has won.

I would never look past the power of even a single short lesson. A couple of years ago, when I was just starting to play regularly again, I was having all sorts of problems sky pushing/slicing my driver and long irons. I had the s***** with my short irons and wedges. I spent a week playing with these problems, including a 4 hour session at the practice green, trying to hit 30-50 yard pitch shots without having any hosel-rockets. It failed.

I paid for one lesson, with a guy I knew personally. It was my first lesson in about 20 years. 40 minutes later, he had my swing fixed. All he did was fix up my posture/stance, and strengthen my grip a little. In retrospect, it seemed like such a simple fix, but sometimes, you just need a pro to tell you that. Two years later, I still remember the tips he gave me to get into the right posture and stance.

Anyways, I rambled. That's just my two cents. Good luck to you all and I hope you stick with it.

Got my first round of the year in today and shot a 99, which I'm really happy with for the first round of the year. 50 on the front 49 on the back....as always had a couple blow up holes and really need to work on my chipping!

Last night I had my first real lesson, oof why did I wait so long.

Complete change to stance and swing. I actually felt feel release with my hands finishing high. I can't wait to get to the range and work on the new swing.

Like I said, was out again later in the week. Shot 43-54 for a 97. Best score on the front 9 for the course and best overall score ever on the course. Was going along just fine until my slice crept back in on 14, but I was able to right the ship by 17.

Sunday went out and carder a 103, my play around the greens killed me.

Today was lesson number 2, worked on my back swing and with the driver. Hitting a big hook is in the cards, but I still have trouble finding the middle. Range time to work on the new swing will be a great benefit.

Would definitely love to break the century mark. Played a few rounds already this year and keep coming in around 105... been working on my putting and am trying to get in some time on the range to work on ball striking before heading out for another round on Saturday. Hopefully the practice work translates over...

had a 104 this Saturday.

I started out so well too, bogie, par, bogie on holes that usually kill me. In fact, the game didn't fall apart too much for the entire round, so I will have to attribute it to my general lack of skills. My partner had a 125, so I can't feel too bad about it.

I had too lost balls, which with penalty and replay, added four strokes to the total. One was a slice into the woods. The other was actually a good shot, a draw into a dogleg left. My partner even congratulated me on the shot, and I was feeling good about it myself, but when we got there, we couldn't find the ball.

The other bad one that sticks in my mind is when I landed on the lip of a green side bunker on my approach, and it should have been easy for me to chip it over to the green. (It was a small and shallow bunker), but I lost my concentration and had a bad chip into the sand.

Of course I had a few other bad shots including blading chips to the back of the green etc, but these are the ones that stick in my mind. So close, yet so far, but I feel I can break it this season if I keep playing regularly. Short game, putts, and course management, in that order, are the keys.

Am I the only one still following this thread (and hence still struggling to break hundred)? :)

Last Saturday had a chance to go down to Monterey and played the Monterey Pines GC at the naval college. Military courses open to to the public are great. Well maintained and still cheap. Was $34 here for entire day's play. I played the front nine in the morning. Didn't really know where to hit the ball since I had never played the course before. Got a 53 for a par of 34. Then went back to the hotel for lunch with wife and kids.

I came back in the afternoon and played 18, scoring 94. Yay! 50 on the back, 44 on the front.

Course par is only 69, and I played from the white tees, which rate 64/104. So does this count as breaking 100, or should I wait until I do that on a 72/120 course before telling myself I broke 100?

Am I the only one still following this thread (and hence still struggling to break hundred)? :)

Last Saturday had a chance to go down to Monterey and played the Monterey Pines GC at the naval college. Military courses open to to the public are great. Well maintained and still cheap. Was $34 here for entire day's play. I played the front nine in the morning. Didn't really know where to hit the ball since I had never played the course before. Got a 53 for a par of 34. Then went back to the hotel for lunch with wife and kids.

I came back in the afternoon and played 18, scoring 94. Yay! 50 on the back, 44 on the front.

Course par is only 69, and I played from the white tees, which rate 64/104. So does this count as breaking 100, or should I wait until I do that on a 72/120 course before telling myself I broke 100?

Congrats on the sub 100 round, book a couple more and you can move on.

Unfortunately I too am still following this thread. I am trying to stay optimistic that ONE DAY, I can move on to the breaking 90 thread. Cheers to that day whenever it may be :drinks:

I still follow this one: I have broken 100 a few times now but seeing this just rubbed the scab of last weeks wound. The one where I shot a 45 on the front nine of the home course and it got me to thinking with a little effort I might be able to break 90. But with that on my mind I went on to shoot a 56 on the back. Son of a @#!$. So as a lesson to be learned for future rounds stop thinking and just swing.

last round i shot 101 with one of those being a penalty shot from double striking the ball while chipping due to trying add loft and not trusting my club. This was one of my better rounds. Aiming to get consitently in the mid nineties so want to see consistant drop over my next 10 rounds. Short game and putting is my big weakness. several chips going 20 feet past the pin followed by 3 putts is a regular feature of my current game!

I shot 95 last weekend and it's the first time I've broken 100 in more than a year. My main issue is inconsistency - I can't count on any part of my game to be good (or bad) during any particular outing. And certain portions of my game leave me, others come back, and I can't figure out how or when. Last week's issue was chipping. I probably wasted 8 strokes with bad chips. Drives, pitching and putting was pretty good. I had 2 birdies and 4 pars in the round, 5 bogeys and 7 others. So again, back to inconsistency. I don't even know from hole to hole what might happen.

I think it comes down to practice and trying to gain a repeatable swing. I read an article on chipping, was doing great at practice on flat ground with good grass. Taking that same technique out to the course on uneven lies, uphill/downhill stance, etc. really killed me. One thing I did was buy a new putter that has a MUCH better ball alignment guide for my eye. That has helped a lot and I'm much improved at making puts from between 3 and ten feet. I know most of my problems are ME, but I do think this new putter will consistently save me about four strokes a round.

i have been only playing a year and i have a 95 and 98 in 2 of my last rounds. However in another i shot 116. I dont drive the ball that far and i am pretty straight and usualy drive between 170-200 yards, so normaly i can`t reach most greens on my second shot as my next club the 3 wood i tend to only hit about 160-170. My putting is ok and i tend 2 put most holes. However my main problem is my short game from 100 yards in i tend to fluff most of my pitches or chips as with my first shot i tend to hit the top of the ball and it flies through the green, with my next shot i try not to hit it as hard in case i top the ball again and i usually chip ok then, but as i did not hit it hard enough i end up short.

I have looked at tons of videos on chipping and it looks easy, but i cant do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back