Come on Titleist, for real?

Really the only thing Titleist I play with is their balls!! Oh wait that typed bad!!

My $0.02 - I do not agree that their equipment is over rated. (No more than any other company, that is.) You get some good choices in the $400 driver price tag. (ie, R11, J38, Razr Hawk, Z-Star, etc.) However, I do agree that it’s a bit much that they don’t throw in the tool with the hybrid. When I purchased my 910 D2, I was torn between it and the R11. The driver came with the tool. Had it not, I would have gone with the R11. You don’t spend $400 on a driver and not get the tool necessary to make the adjustments. I feel it’s the same way with the hybrid.

TC – I feel your pain. I always have to double check my spelling!

I understand why Titleist wants a rep where ever their club is – but I’m glad THP doesn’t allow it. The joys of demoing clubs is being able to do it freely without any kind of influence from anyone. If it’s a good stick, it’ll sell itself.

I just got this email from Titleist

Dear Jarret:
We are writing to apologize for an e-mail that was recently sent to you in error regarding a Ball Fitting event that you did not attend.
This mistake was the result of a technical glitch that we have remedied.
Your loyalty to Team Titleist is truly appreciated by everyone on our staff, and we are very sorry to have subjected you to this error.
If you have any questions, please contact us at webmaster@titleist.com.
Thank you for being a member of Team Titleist.
All the best,
- Your friends at Team Titleist

MY RESPONSE: I bet Taylormade would send me some golf balls for my time

If youre going to buy the hybrid or the 3W dont you already have the driver? No need for another wrench. Doesnt TM do the same thing anyway?

I was considering their AP2 irons as well this year, but I was waiting since last year for them because I thought they price might drop at least a little. However, the club is 2 years old and still holds a $900 price tag. No other company does that.

The AP2"s were revamped in 2010 they are different than the ones that came out on in 2009. In TM speak you can think of the current ones as "AP2 2.0's"

It is a great looking club that I would like to try out, but I have to agree that if you are going to market/sell something adjustable then that feature should not require further investment.

That being said, it's not that different than other niche markets. In guitar, a Marshall amplifier (which is probably the Titleist of guitar equipment) has changeable 'channels' of sound, but if you wanna control it with a foot-pedal (and you do wanna) it will cost something like an extra $80.

I also saw something in my Golfsmith catalog that allows you to add an adjustable hosel to pretty much any driver/wood. Not sure how well that would work but I like the idea.

The other day I received a sleeve each of the new ProV1's and ProV1x's in the mail. I have no idea why.

Sorry INgolfer, but I'm going to have to disagree with some of those comments.

A: Yes, I like the fact that the reps aren't there at the demo day and think it's a amazing idea. However, after doing a Titleist fitting, I can see why they might not like that idea. They want to have someone on hand who can watch the ball flight then give you one of 30 odd shafts they have on hand, adjust the hosel setting and re-evaluate. Could a lot of people on THP do that? Certainly. However this is a place with a lot of knowledge that I don't feel accurately represents what companies come across at a standard demo day. If they want to maintain the "players" image it stands to reason they aren't just going to hand out a club to anyone to try out without getting feed back from a fitter. Remember how everyone says "always get fit", well that's what Titleist is doing. Sure, the way they do it comes off snobby but that doesn't mean I disagree with what they want to accomplish.

B: The cost of Titleist equipment never drops, that's just not part of their business model. They make one line every 2 years and then stand behind it which in the days of mass releases is somewhat refreshing. I aslo don't think lambasting them for not getting into a pricing war is really fair. If you assume their opening premise of being a higher quality product then it follows they are going to use the same business model. I don't see Lexus getting into too many pricing wars around here.

C: Not including the wrench with all the clubs is dumb and cheap. From a company that pushes customer service to the Nth degree this just comes off as a sour note. Sure, they can assume that everyone that is going to get a 910H or F will already have a D2 or D3 and thus the wrench but that's clearly not the case. If it's a perk for those who go all Titleist to get a wrench included at all then just say so. If this is the reasoning behind it, it's kind of silly. How are you going to convert players to an all Titleist bag if you can't get the club that's going to convert them in the first place into their hands? Poor choice Titleist.

I don't see Lexus getting into too many pricing wars around here.

Two Lexus for the price of one would be awesome though... (Kia)

Bought the 910f today and all I had to do was ask for an extra wrench that Titleist had sent them. No issues at all.

I just got this email from Titleist

Dear Jarret:
We are writing to apologize for an e-mail that was recently sent to you in error regarding a Ball Fitting event that you did not attend.
This mistake was the result of a technical glitch that we have remedied.
Your loyalty to Team Titleist is truly appreciated by everyone on our staff, and we are very sorry to have subjected you to this error.
If you have any questions, please contact us at webmaster@titleist.com.
Thank you for being a member of Team Titleist.
All the best,
- Your friends at Team Titleist

MY RESPONSE: I bet Taylormade would send me some golf balls for my time

I got this same E-mail. Also no luck on the free golf balls.

I am also so glad to hear that im not the only one that has to look at someone signature before I can spell it. Titleist. See I had to do it again just now.

I was asking the assistant pro at my club why Titleits never has a demo days at our place. He said that they are very picky about their Demo days and they have not been able to get them there. I would like to try some of their clubs on real grass.

I dont doubt Titleists ability to make great clubs. I would not have considered their hybrid if I didn't think they make good clubs. I was considering their AP2 irons as well this year, but I was waiting since last year for them because I thought they price might drop at least a little. However, the club is 2 years old and still holds a $900 price tag. No other company does that. The Prov1 balls are also like the only ones that you NEVER see go on sale. They only get marked down to $40 after the next model comes out. Anyway, they make great equipment, but I don't think they care too much about the consumer's wallet, especially in a down economy. They still want to Nickel and Dime everyone as much as they can. That being said, I just think that Titleist has some stiff competition out there now and a lot of companies are really stepping up their game, so I'm surprised they went with this move.

I believe Titleist is coming out with a new set of irons this fall, atleast thats what the sales rep told me a couple of months ago so maybe then the price will drop a little.

I have always found it easy to spell. Just think of it as (en)title-ist. And that pretty much sums them up for me!

Not giving the tool is a bad decision. You shouldn't have ask for it, or beg the store for one. It should be included with your head cover in a package like TM does it. No brainer.

I have always found it easy to spell. Just think of it as (en)title-ist. And that pretty much sums them up for me!

Thanks that helps.

Older Adams hybrids will hit just as well as a newer Titleist hybrid IMO. You cold grab 2-3 A7's for the price of 1 new Titleist hybrid. Ridiculous. Not sure how 99.9999% of us wouldn't take a seamless set of 2-3-4 A7 hybrids over a single 910.

I have hit the 910's and I don't get it. Not bashing Titleist, they can charge whatever they want. From a pure performance stand point they don't do it for me.

edit: For the Mashie crowd...imagine double the Mashie goodness.

Titleist will always be a ball manufacturer first. Everything else for them is secondary.

You don’t spend $400 on a driver and not get the tool necessary to make the adjustments. I feel it’s the same way with the hybrid.

Which "tool" are you referring to? A wrench or a pushy sales rep?

Which "tool" are you referring to? A wrench or a pushy sales rep?

:D Nice one Ken. I think Titleist could really improve their reputation if they worked a little harder on their sales tactics and customer service. The club pro at my home course has switched to Titleist this year and they have even turned him into a pushy sales person. Every time I have gone in to talk about ordering something besides Titleist he always bashes whichever equipment manufacturer I am considering and tries to talk me into buying a Titleist club. My brother in law works at the course and I found out that when he was thinking of switching companies he kept telling them all he would only do it if they gave him a full set of free clubs. Titleist offered him free clubs and more incentives so he switched to them, but he was never this pushy when he played Cleveland.

So that fact that the pro became pushy is Titleist's fault? I know that Titleist tends to give better incentives upon a sale then other companies at the green grass level. Perhaps the pro became pushy because he wants to make more money?

Tomahawk 18: When I purchased a R11 fairway and hybrid, neither of those came with a wrench. I had to ask for one and they didn't want to give it up either saying I should have it from a R9 or R11 driver already. Perhaps the stores in your area are just nicer about that sort of thing?

Tomahawk 18: When I purchased a R11 fairway and hybrid, neither of those came with a wrench. I had to ask for one and they didn't want to give it up either saying I should have it from a R9 or R11 driver already. Perhaps the stores in your area are just nicer about that sort of thing?

What? Really? I have seen over 100 of those clubs shipped and shipped over 30 myself and EVERY single one of them comes in the bag with the headcover and wrench. You might want to check with your store, because they forgot a few pieces for you.

What? Really? I have seen over 100 of those clubs shipped and shipped over 30 myself and EVERY single one of them comes in the bag with the headcover and wrench. You might want to check with your store, because they forgot a few pieces for you.

Ya they ALL come with a wrench. The store is screwing you

Yes when I asked about this at my local golf store he told me that the R11 rescue comes with a wrench but the 910 does not, and he was not given any extras by Titleist to give out to anyone to who purchased the hybrid without the driver.

Back