Playing to a Number

Around the 265 range is where I lay up. Of course hazards play a big factor. Anytime I can get to some sort of pitch shot is what I'm looking to do. I also like 120 and in.

Most par 3's and all par 5's.

I'm really trying to play smarter, playing rounds with biggsy and AHA has taught me a lot lately about golf in general but taking trouble out is the best lesson yet.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

I have never considered laying up on a par 3. That is interesting as I have played quite a few of them and thought I had no shot at hitting the green. Might have to start rethinking my par 3 strategy.

I found out the other day, If I'm hitting my Dymo 3w well... It's go time. Another automatic go is if I need to clear less than 185 to be out of danger.. MASHIE TIME. Seriously this club has changed everything for me. I have a M1 coming and I don't see lay ups being a part of the game for me much anymore unless it's just too dangerous. I want to score no doubt, but when I don't fear a club I'm going to hit it.

I lay up on par 5's if the green is in a pretty tight area. Not 100% confident with long approaches with a 3w yet. If the green area is open...bombs away. If there is a giant bunker right in front of the green I may lay up as well. I really don't mind any shots from 110 and in. I am pretty confident with my distance control using my 56*.

Typically, I go with what will get me the closest. The smart way though is to hit to a number, I just can't get myself to do it.

If I'm more than 200, I'll lay up. This is almost always on a par 5. My ideal distance is 95-105, just a nice smooth 56*.

I usually try to get at either 105 (50 wedge) or 85 yds (60 wedge) as these are my best scoring clubs. For example at my home course there is a short par 4 (288 yds) which is dog leg left with a tricky 2 tiered green. I usually tee off with a 3h which leaves me with 80-85 yds, a full 60* shot and my best shot at a birdie. Similarly on non reachable par 5, I will play to my favorite yardage on my 3rd shot. It is just good course management to play to my strengths.

Barring hazards or OOB, I'm generally going to go for the par 5 in 2, even if its waaaaay out there (270 or more). I have as good a chance at an up and down from the greenside rough or bunker than from a 100+ yard wedge shot, and there's the odd time the shot even finds the green for an eagle try. I anticipate going for it even more with the M1 Mashie in my bag.

If I'm playing for pure fun and can't reach the 5 in two...I still swing away knowing I'll be in awkward yardage/hazard. It's fun to hit those shots and fun to get out of trouble.

If I'm playing for money (or a record score) I play to the number and leave the ball in the best place to attack the pin.

#2 works out 10x more...but remember it's a game, and the point of the game is to have fun!

I know it's not the smartest decision, but since I'm not as consistent as I'd like to be I really never play to a number on any shot, the only time the distance really comes in to play for me is off the tee and if there's trouble or carry I have to worry about.

Test was completed and I will find the results on the forum.

Any luck with this? I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't find anything. Still curious to see the results of this.

If I can't reach it I like to play to a number. I love about 100 yards into a hole, nice easy swing and you can go pin hunting. If it is a long par 5 and I want to hit back to back irons (maybe the woods aren't my clubs that day) I will try to lay up a number that I have a good feeling with that iron that day.

Annika actually talks about this all the time as one of the biggest mistakes that amateurs make, to always try to go for the green. She used to love to lay up because she was so crazy precise with her irons. Of course, she could go for a pin a lot easier than the rest of us too.

soxngolf, not arguing but in her book she says the opposite of that. She says she prefers to get as close to the hole as possible without bringing in trouble, because she is confident in her ability to hit her wedges 1/2, 3/4 and full and therefore doesn't need to lay up to a spot that gives her a full wedge shot.

I've embraced her philosophy and worked hard to get good at hitting wedges exact distances with 1/2, 3/4 and full swings. It seems to be paying off.

BTW-if anyone hasn't read her book it is worth getting used off Amazon. Not the be all end all, but it is a better roadmap to lower scores than most others I've read. In other words, mere mortals can apply most of her techniques,,,,, except her core workout. Good luck with that. She's a helluva athlete.

Great thread - really making me think about how I "normally" play and will hopefully lend itself to changing my mindset on the course and leaving me in better situations to score (and avoid trouble).

GIR's and FIR's are what matter to me. If I get on a par 5 in three, I don't really care how i got there. I could have bounced it off the clubhouse, the seniors group in front of me, then out of the bunker. If I'm on in 3.....I'm good. I was being facetious with the examples, of course.

I started trying to play to a number more often lately because I like hitting some of my clubs more then others. for example i find myself laying up so I can hit my Mashie lately because I have been hitting it so well. Also having a GPS helps a lot. I now know how far it is to obstetrical that I want to avoid and it also gives me layup numbers.

Back