Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I've only gotten in one round with the Mashie thus far so I can't really give it a thorough review. I can say that the HB-001 is finally being replaced and I liked the Mashie enough to order a second one. High and straight all day long.

It's always sad to see a club you love go but sometimes it's just better that way.

I've only gotten in one round with the Mashie thus far so I can't really give it a thorough review. I can say that the HB-001 is finally being replaced and I liked the Mashie enough to order a second one. High and straight all day long.

Got to get revenge on a course yesterday that has given me trouble every other time I played it and the Mashie was a big help with that. Some highlights:

Hole #4 - 292yd par 4 - This is an interestng hole as it is a dogleg left that the fairway ends around 200yds as it turns to the left , has some rough area then the fairway continues to the green. I teed up with the Mashie and set sites for the end of the landing area. Hit a typical "Mashie shot" the high, straight one we all know and love. Wound up in the rough (shot went 215 I would guess) then finished up the hole for a bogey ( lousy luck putting, one more roll and I'd have a par)

Hole #13 - 366 par 4 - THis was the most important hole of my round and I will explain why before I talk about my results. Up to tis point this had been the round of my life. I was hitting the ball better than I ever have and I was really impressing myself and my playing partners. ON the hole before this one the wheels fell off and I shot a freakin 10. I worked so hard on being mentally focused all day I really slipped up on that hole. My buddy's started joking with me saying "Ah the real Rhino has returned." I knew it was all in fun but I was still very angry. I was so angry with myself I badly pulled my drive into the left rough after going only 150 yards. I was borderline blowing my entire round, took a deep breath and I pulled out the Mashie knowing the confidence I have with this club. My shot landed just short of the green rolled to about 10 feet away. I looked to my buddies and winked at them and said "The new Rhino has arrived" Another bad break on my putting gave me a par instead of a birdie.

Here were just a couple of placed where the Mashie helped me today. I had played this course 3 times prior and I never scored under a 117. Yesterday's score... 93! :good:

wow way to go Rhino! That's quite the drastic change in scores. Keep up the good work.

wow way to go Rhino! That's quite the drastic change in scores. Keep up the good work.

Yes it is, I took a long time off from that course, it has been over a year since I played it. I have been playing better lately, 5 scores in a row under 100 and all since I got the Mashie. Coincedence???? I dont think so!!! :banana: :blob:

hopefully today is the day Jman!
After getting in a very heated discussion with UPS about their driver's attitude it was revealed the clubs WERE on the truck Friday, had he only checked when I politely asked if he was sure they weren't there and if he could check real quick for me this would have been averted. They are going to "try again Monday". This, is, killing, me. I want to get my Mashie on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is, I took a long time off from that course, it has been over a year since I played it. I have been playing better lately, 5 scores in a row under 100 and all since I got the Mashie. Coincedence???? I dont think so!!! :banana: :blob:

That is quite the coincidence isn't it? So, are you pondering other Mashie's for your bag?

hopefully today is the day Jman!

Haha, yeah...with all the problems I've had with UPS in the last month its killing me. It sayd "on truck" again, so we shall see.

That is quite the coincidence isn't it? So, are you pondering other Mashie's for your bag?

I am pondering a m5 and possibly a m1. As I have wrote here I have had difficulty hitting the m1 but I the m5 i have no problem with at all. The only issue I have with getting the m5 at this point is my 23* Nickent. I had long been my go to club (pre-Mashie) and I dont know if I really need a 20.5* 23* and a 26* club in my bag. Same thing with the M1. If I get to the point of being able to hit it, would it really be used alot during the round. I am definately in pondering stage and waiting to the outing for some possible answers.

Good stuff WR and you will be bringing the Mashie's to WPB to get some revenge on PGA National!

Great job WR!

great progress WR!

Good stuff WR and you will be bringing the Mashie's to WPB to get some revenge on PGA National!

Oh yes Gray!! Last year I headed to Florida worried and a little scared taking on these courses. By the end of the weekend, playing the Squire with Yoccos, Bama and Seth I realized they are just golf courses and if I relax I will do ok. Now fast forward six months to today. I am playing much better today than I was then, plus I have the Mashie which has added to my confidence and my work on my mental game is progressing nicely so yes I will be ready to exact some revenge on PGA National!! No doubt about it!!!

Nice scoring WR! If it's treating you that well then a reorder could be in the works. Hopefully I'll be able to join the Mashie ranks today as the M3 is with brown today.

Nice scoring WR! If it's treating you that well then a reorder could be in the works. Hopefully I'll be able to join the Mashie ranks today as the M3 is with brown today.

Spank, I have seen you play and I know you are going to love the Mashie!!!

Is it possible that The Mashie may be the most popular golf club ever? Those that it doesn't cooperate with are few and far between.

What about this club works for so many people?

littlepingman, I'd love to hear some more of your thoughts on this club. Which one did you get? What flex? One round and it's seriously in the bag?

Is it possible that The Mashie may be the most popular golf club ever? Those that it doesn't cooperate with are few and far between.

littlepingman, I'd love to hear some more of your thoughts on this club. Which one did you get? What flex? One round and it's seriously in the bag?

Speaking only for myself , though I think many will agree, when I swung this club the first time at the outing I was just about floored how easy it was to swing and more importantly the results of the swing. If I remember I took about 10 swings with it and each one took off like a missle and went hit and straight. Seeing that for myself made me want to get one and hit more and more shots with it. After I was fortunate enough to become one of the testers and I got to hit the club in a variety of location on the course like the tee box, a fairway bunker, the rough, parking lot, off the trunk of a '64 Buick ( ok I kid on the last two ). That excitement turned into confidence. I knew that if I just relaxed and swung easy, the club would take care of the work. That mindset has worked itself to my other clubs and now with a relaxed swing I am striking the ball better and susquently scoring lower.

Spank, I have seen you play and I know you are going to love the Mashie!!!

I dug it back in September and I hope that it doesn't lose its luster. If it does what I'm expecting it to do I'll rename it S-Mashie. :D

I dont know if I should be headed towards the heavier shaft or lighter shaft. Hmmm.....

I'll give you some thoughts on it once I get mine and hit it. I got the 83g shaft.

I have a 20.5° shafted with the Miyazaki 83g x-flex shaft. My HB-001 actually had a 105g shaft in it so I didn't want to chance going with the 59g since the 83g is already a good bit lighter than I'm used to. I'm going to be adding an 18° to the bag.

I love my HB-001 enough that I always knew immediately with other hybrids that they couldn't compete. This is the first time I knew immediately I'd finally found a replacement. While I don't hit the Mashie as long as my HB-001(its a degree and half weaker), the flight is just perfect. Very high but not spinny. High enough to hold greens on the fly no problem. The balls lands like a tennis ball onto a pillow. I don't really love the way it looks but it flat out performs. The best part is how straight I hit it. Not a hint of movement in any direction. I did find it nearly impossible to work the ball with it but hybrids aren't the most workable clubs anyway so thats not a big issue.

I really wanna get it back out on the course again as soon as possible and make sure its not a fluke.

Last edited:
Went to the range yesterday. The ground was all kinds of wet so I was hitting a lot of really crappy irons as you really had to be precise or your club dug in. I think it was affecting my swing tempo, etc. So I decided to hit my mashies. I was just killing the M4 straight and high. Tempo got great and went back and was able to transfer that tempo over to my irons and started hitting really nice irons. I am still dialing in the M3 as I find I have to move it a bit forward and also am fighting a slight pull with it. Could be as simple as face angle at address. With how I hit the M4 I'm seriously considering the M5 at 26 degrees to swap out my 5 iron which is 27 degrees. Still too early to tell as my 5 iron shots suffered from the wet ground. They were generally fine but didn't have that consistently high straight ball. Cleveland demo day this Saturday at the golf shop so I'm hoping they have an M1 and and M5 that they'll tape up and let me take acrosss the street to the range.

i know this has probably been answered somewhere within the 175 pages of this thread, but i can't seem to find a comparison between the Mashie and last year's Launcher DST. anyone have any thoughts on how the Mashie sizes up against the Launcher DST in terms of distance and forgiveness? is the Mashie worth the upgrade/switch?

Alas no Mashie for me today. Got shipped the wrong one so I have to send it back to Cleveland. Good news, due to the wealth of knowledge in this thread I got Cleveland to ship the new one lie adjusted.

i know this has probably been answered somewhere within the 175 pages of this thread, but i can't seem to find a comparison between the Mashie and last year's Launcher DST. anyone have any thoughts on how the Mashie sizes up against the Launcher DST in terms of distance and forgiveness? is the Mashie worth the upgrade/switch?

Site owner/operator JB played the DST last year and made the switch. I hit the DST too and while it was good I think the Mashie all that much better. For one the shaft is a huge upgrade. Not saying the shaft in the DST is all that bad but the Miyazaki is that good. I find it more forgiving then the DST and easier to hit too.

Alas no Mashie for me today. Got shipped the wrong one so I have to send it back to Cleveland. Good news, due to the wealth of knowledge in this thread I got Cleveland to ship the new one lie adjusted.

That sucks Spank!!!

Back