TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

thanks bro! These clubs are my new found love. Is it bad that I clean them thoroughly after every round? hahaha

Only if you clean them alone in the bathroom.

Any news yet on a stocking date for these clubs? When will they release the Kraken?!

interesting. maybe I need to steepen my swing a bit for these. I tend to have a more shallow / picking kind of swing
I think these will be great for a steep swing because I have one myself. I take divots even on practice swings...haha. I think these irons truly shine there. I had a PW into a green on friday and I took a healthy divot but never really even felt it. the ball flew nice and high, I see exactly what Hawk is saying about the turf interaction. You will have NO problem getting this club through the turf and getting the ball up, granted, you have to get the ball first.

I have a sweeping swing that only rips the top of the grass off even with short irons and the CB's felt very good. My AP2's can feel a bit harsh if I catch the ball a little thin (though they still go plenty high). There was none of this with the CB's.

interesting. maybe I need to steepen my swing a bit for these. I tend to have a more shallow / picking kind of swing

I wouldnt say to change the swing, You should be getting ball first contact anyway

Any news yet on a stocking date for these clubs? When will they release the Kraken?!

I heard mid March but no definite date. I also emailed Taylormade on Saturday asking the same question. No answer yet.

true. but 'should be' and 'what I'm getting' are way different now. Just looking to recapture the same feelings I had when I first started hitting these.
I wouldnt say to change the swing, You should be getting ball first contact anyway

I don't think that these irons neccessarily favor a steeper swing. I just have one and like the way they work with the turf.

Spent about an hour today on the range hitting the scoring irons (8-PW for me). I want to further touch on something Hawk spoke about and that is turf interaction. These clubs do a VERY good job of making it easy to contact the grass and let it work with you. The thinner sole compared to what I am used to using really helped in getting into the ground and helping me pinch the ball properly. Now with that brought in the ability to hit it thick or fluffy by a groove or two, something that many wider soles GI irons help guard against (in theory). When hitting the irons a groove or two thick, they do not have the same forgiveness as a full GI club. Nothing major in the aspect of sending the ball off line or anything, but not the same mass behind the ball high on the club face like there is with a larger or thicker topline club. If this is a standard miss for you, it is something to consider. Because of this great turf interaction, gone were my thins that I had been experiencing as of late.

On to the good stuff and I mean exceptional stuff. I spent the day hitting at the 125 yard flag (it was measured at 121 today) and spent time hitting all of the scoring irons at it all different ways. High, low, cut, draw and the CBs delivered FAR better than I expected. In fact it was so good that I found myself playing games with them such as landing on the green with the cut and the draw and which shot produced the best result and comparing it to the straight ball (straight ball won every time ironically). Then doing the same thing with the high and low shot and comparing it to my normal trajectory. It was a great exercise and really showcased the versatility of these clubs.

Overall, I had another really good day with these and am left pondering things quite a bit.

That is one serious update. Great info there JB. Love to hear the versatility word used with a forged type GI iron.

Spent about an hour today on the range hitting the scoring irons (8-PW for me). I want to further touch on something Hawk spoke about and that is turf interaction. These clubs do a VERY good job of making it easy to contact the grass and let it work with you. The thinner sole compared to what I am used to using really helped in getting into the ground and helping me pinch the ball properly. Now with that brought in the ability to hit it thick or fluffy by a groove or two, something that many wider soles GI irons help guard against (in theory). When hitting the irons a groove or two thick, they do not have the same forgiveness as a full GI club. Nothing major in the aspect of sending the ball off line or anything, but not the same mass behind the ball high on the club face like there is with a larger or thicker topline club. If this is a standard miss for you, it is something to consider. Because of this great turf interaction, gone were my thins that I had been experiencing as of late.

On to the good stuff and I mean exceptional stuff. I spent the day hitting at the 125 yard flag (it was measured at 121 today) and spent time hitting all of the scoring irons at it all different ways. High, low, cut, draw and the CBs delivered FAR better than I expected. In fact it was so good that I found myself playing games with them such as landing on the green with the cut and the draw and which shot produced the best result and comparing it to the straight ball (straight ball won every time ironically). Then doing the same thing with the high and low shot and comparing it to my normal trajectory. It was a great exercise and really showcased the versatility of these clubs.

Overall, I had another really good day with these and am left pondering things quite a bit.

This is a great update. Thanks for sharing, JB.

I think those CG16's are quaking in their boots. I'll take those TT Monacos off your hands

Hmm, damn all of you for your CB feedback and how awesome they feel! Not really.

Excellent feedback JB. You say you have something serious to ponder but I want to pose a question to you. Are the CB's shorter than your CG16's?

If so, are you willing to sacrafice distance in exchange for turf interaction and perhaps more flightability?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I think those CG16's are quaking in their boots. I'll take those TT Monacos off your hands

Internet golf at its finest huh? Ready to take shafts that are custom fit for me because they look good? I totally kid, of course...hehe

Hmm, damn all of you for your CB feedback and how awesome they feel! Not really.

Excellent feedback JB. You say you have something serious to ponder but I want to pose a question to you. Are the CB's shorter than your CG16's?

If so, are you willing to sacrafice distance in exchange for turf interaction and perhaps more flightability?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Im not sure TC. I am going to play both on Wednesday and then really start working on distance and see what I am finding. I know people always say "it does not matter, its just a loft thing", but in reality for me, picking up a 6 or a 7 iron instead of a 5 iron does matter to me mentally.

Internet golf at its finest huh? Ready to take shafts that are custom fit for me because they look good? I totally kid, of course...hehe

Im not sure TC. I am going to play both on Wednesday and then really start working on distance and see what I am finding. I know people always say "it does not matter, its just a loft thing", but in reality for me, picking up a 6 or a 7 iron instead of a 5 iron does matter to me mentally.

+1000 on that part.

I do appreciate the honesty JB. I'm not sure I could give up the distance myself, particularly if it's a club to a club and a half, but that's just me. Scoring irons, no matter what their loft, are a lot less inclined to see more lateral movement than mid irons, conversely, that typically means whether or not I hit a green in regulation.

Looking forward to further testing.

Of course. We've already determined I am the guy in the W/S commercial. My bag needs to look like a playah!

Of course. We've already determined I am the guy in the W/S commercial. My bag needs to look like a playah!

I just spit my drink out laughing at that. AWESOME!

great write up JB, pretty cool hearing about that little game, if I had those shots in my pocket I would play it sometime but I do not. I like how you said that the straight shots were the best results. I guess I can understand the idea of a draw or fade depending on pin placement but that is for the guys who throw the ball at the pin EVERY shot. Which I do not think 99% of amateurs do. So, when you gonna put these in the bag? sounds like they belong there.

great write up JB, pretty cool hearing about that little game, if I had those shots in my pocket I would play it sometime but I do not. I like how you said that the straight shots were the best results. I guess I can understand the idea of a draw or fade depending on pin placement but that is for the guys who throw the ball at the pin EVERY shot. Which I do not think 99% of amateurs do. So, when you gonna put these in the bag? sounds like they belong there.

Thanks for the kind words. Its really not something I try to do on the course all that much unless needed. I am not a large "shot shaper" but it is good to know that these gave me no problem in doing so. One thing that they did do quite easily that I am a big fan of was changing the ball height. Depending on the green, the conditions, etc...I do like to lower the ball flight from time to time and these did that exceptionally well. And better than my current irons.

Not sure they are going in the bag just yet, working on distances this week and will no more then.

Do you think that you can pull more 'shots' off with these clubs vs the CG16's? Or at least more consistently?

Do you think that you can pull more 'shots' off with these clubs vs the CG16's? Or at least more consistently?

More shots? Yes.
Better shots? I dont know as of yet.
Consistency? Not sure on that one either.

Good question Hanks. Ironically, I saw JB work the ball just fine when he had to with his CG16's. He hit the most phenomenal cut shot out of a fairway bunker I've ever seen, and of course, the rope hook me heysoos made an appearance.

Back