My first experience with a Pro V1x

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
This may sound strange but I had never played a Pro V1x or a Pro V1 in my life and yesterday I played one for about 10 holes. Let me start by saying I am not a Titleist guy and have never been fond of the Titelist balls I have hit in the past (NXT, DT solo & DT Distance, etc) I had never tried a Pro V1 because I thought my swing speed was not fast enough to compress the ball and they cost a lot of $$$. Well I hit one of my Bridgestone e6’s out of bounds and someone threw me a Pro V1x to hit. I though what the heck ill hit it.

I hit that ball 290 yards down the middle. My normal drive is 230 to 250. I thought WOW that felt great. My next shot was perfect and bit up nicely. I continued to play it the rest of the round and to my surprise I liked it very much. My drives were longer then with my E6 and it felt very good off my irons. I did not like the feel as much with my putter as the E6 but it was not bad.

The one thing I did notice was it scuffed up quickly and after I was done the ball looked like it was done.

I have started to be more opened minded towards trying new stuff since I started reading some of the post and reviews here on this site. Prime example is the Mashie. I would have never tried a Cleveland hybrid had it not been for the reviews here on this site. Now I own one and am looking for another.

I guess the moral of this post is; try new stuff you never know what you might run into. Like a 290 yard drive. I still love the feel of the E6 and might not change balls forever but I will be willing to try different ones and see how they work. I will probably buy a box of the new Pro v1x’s and check them out just to see how they work. I also won’t throw them into my shag bag when I find them on the course. Ill Tee it up. :D

Good post rr,

Great to see trying new things has worked well for you. The Pro V's are great, it's just too bad they carry such a hefty pricetag.

i feel there is this faultly mindset that some people have toward the premium balls that you are sacrificing some distance for a more controlled ballflight and more spin. actually if you can compress the premium balls you will probably hit them farther than a cheaper ball except for possibly the pinnacle raw distances of the world etc.

of course the "cheaper" balls have come a long way in the last couple years and are offering a similar performance for half the price so there is nothing wrong with gaming them.

actually if you can compress the premium balls you will probably hit them farther than a cheaper ball except for possibly the pinnacle raw distances of the world etc.

Can I ask how? Do you believe the cores are very different? The cover being urethane makes them travel further? Very curious here on why they would go further if you can compress them compared to a less expensive ball that you can compress.

Good for you man. It can never hurt to try new things for the simple fact that there may always be something out there to slightly improve our games or make the game more enjoyable.

i am not an engineer, but i personally believe it has to be the core. for myself the most glaring example of this was the first year top flight feel ball. this ball was gave to me to test out, and it was so soft that you could physically feel the ball "melt" on the driver. it gave the sense the ball was sticking to the face for too long of a time. consequently i could only hit this ball around 230 yards as it knuckled around. my usual drive is more in the 280-300 range and when i got my usual ball to test against it i had no issues. i tried out the top flight feel other times and always had the same result.

i am not an engineer, but i personally believe it has to be the core. for myself the most glaring example of this was the first year top flight feel ball. this ball was gave to me to test out, and it was so soft that you could physically feel the ball "melt" on the driver. it gave the sense the ball was sticking to the face for too long of a time. consequently i could only hit this ball around 230 yards as it knuckled around. my usual drive is more in the 280-300 range and when i got my usual ball to test against it i had no issues. i tried out the top flight feel other times and always had the same result.

So you believe the core on a premium ball is different than that of a less expensive ball? It could be nothing more than compression ratings and that you were overly compressing one ball and properly compressing? I have not seen one give a 50-70 yard difference before (in fact no where near that), but it certainly happens.

This is why we believe so strongly in ball fitting regardless of brand and in my opinion (and maybe only mine) it has NOTHING to do with price.

I like Pro-V1s they're just so dang expensive. I will stick to Callaways and Nikes (for now) Though I do usually use 1 box of V1s per summer

I've played the ProV1x a few times (found them on the course). I noticed that I hit them further then other balls I've played. They also respond well around the green. The only problem is they cost so much. If I was a more consistent golfer I would consider purchasing them. I don't know about the physics of the golf ball, I just know they worked well for me.

I'll be honest after I grooved my swing back I really liked the Pro V's, and even picked up a dozen of the new X's to try out since I had a giftcard and they were free. The ball's performance leaves nothing to be desired. However, having to replace a ball every 9 holes MAXIMUM at 4.50$ each is ridiculous. In my experience the Tour B330,B330-S, and Penta perform just as well if not better for less money and more durability.

Nothing even comes close to the cover durability of the Bridgestone premium balls. This is just my experience and my opinion alone.

I did the ball fitting on the Bridgestone site and the RXS was recommended. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

I picked up a sleeve of the 2011 Prov1x balls. Loved the flight, spin and feel. The only time it showed any noticeable wear was after it hit a cart path.

So you believe the core on a premium ball is different than that of a less expensive ball? It could be nothing more than compression ratings and that you were overly compressing one ball and properly compressing? I have not seen one give a 50-70 yard difference before (in fact no where near that), but it certainly happens.

This is why we believe so strongly in ball fitting regardless of brand and in my opinion (and maybe only mine) it has NOTHING to do with price.

i am not sure that the actual material of the core is different it may just be they crammed more of the same material into the same space if thats possible. of course some of the balls are 2 piece, 3 piece, 4 piece, and even the penta 5 piece so i am sure than makes some difference.

the top flight feel example was a really abnormal as i can hit most the 2 piece lower priced balls and be about the same distance as the prov's and callaway tours just giving up some spin.

ProV1x is my current regular ball. Like them a lot. I, too, felt the X ball was for high swing speed players. My driver swing speed is around 94-97, depending on how my back feels. But, when I made the switch from regular ProV1 to Prov1x, it just felt right. Now, I compare all other balls to the X.

Glad you had success. When I normally play a pro V1 it is because I found it on the course and then within in a few holes I will lose it again in the woods or water.

I picked up a sleeve of the 2011 Prov1x balls. Loved the flight, spin and feel. The only time it showed any noticeable wear was after it hit a cart path.

Did you have any wedge shots? After I had two full wedges the ball was pretty much done.

I agree 100%. Last year I did about a week of side by side testing with the ProV1 and the NXT Tour and the overall performance of the NXT Tour was much more benefical to my game than the performance of the ProV1. The price of a ball signifys how much it cost to produce that ball not the quality of performance that it will provide to any given swing.

i am not sure that the actual material of the core is different it may just be they crammed more of the same material into the same space if thats possible.

Not sure that is possible. But I strongly urge you to get a ball fitting. It has done wonders for so many.

I play ProV1 all the time and do not find durability an issue. Most days I play one new ball (on the holes without water) and "yesterdays" ball on the water holes. That way if I send one to the gators I don't feel bad.

I find I can often get 36 holes out of a ball before the wear becomes an issue, assuming no cart paths, trees or too many bunkers.

It is probably just my impression but it seems golfers spend many $$$ on clubs and complain about the cost of balls (which they use on every shot)

I did find durability an issue - hence the switch to Srixon most of the time - still do use ProV1X on occasion though

Its always wrangled me when people tell me "You can't hit a Prov1, your ss's too low". The fact is, I played them the entire first year I got back into golf and hit them well with my paltry 96 mph swing, (wind behind me). Sure they were expensive, but I scored better on them than I did any other ball at the time and hit then longer. Now the Prov1x felt like a rock to me, so I didn't hit those.

I've tried a ton of different balls over time and now play a Bridgestone ball 90% of the time. I like the E6 and the B330RX balls because head to head I'm hitting those farther and straighter. Guess it comes down to hitting what works for you, but by george don't tell me I can't, lol.

I used to think that I would only get tour performance with tour balls, but I have learned from bridgestone's ball fitting that the b330 rx works GREAT and it is not a tour players ball. Most of them play the b330 or b330s. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice some pride in order to find what equipment fits your game, whether it is tour equipment or not. I do feel that the prov1x is a very good ball for average swing speeds tho as well

I say let people play em. I like finding them in the woods. Of course, I can't talk. I just bought some Nike ONE Platinums that I have no business trying to play.

I want to clarify I did not hit every drive 290 yards after hitting the first one, in fact I never hit another one 290 yards. May have just been mad that I hit the first one out of bounds and cranked up on it. But I did hit it further on most drives. I also did a Bridgstone ball fitting and they recommended the E6 but it was an online fitting. I have not had the opportunity to to do a live fitting.

I just wanted to clarify that just by changing to the Pro V1x, your not going to get 70 extra yards every shot. I WISH THAT WERE THE CASE. id pay $4.50 a ball for 70 extra yards except for when I slice it, then it would just be 70 yards further out of bounds. :clapp:

I agree 100%. Last year I did about a week of side by side testing with the ProV1 and the NXT Tour and the overall performance of the NXT Tour was much more benefical to my game than the performance of the ProV1. The price of a ball signifys how much it cost to produce that ball not the quality of performance that it will provide to any given swing.

Very true man. I have been swearing by the NXT Tour for the last 6 years. Great ball -- it was only recently that I tried something new, Taylor Made TP Red LDP, and I loved it. So much that it became my ball of choice. That is, until Taylor Made stopped making it! UGH.

So, rather than going back to the NXT Tour right away, I am giving a few other balls a shot. Starting with the Z Star and 330.S, as they seem to have the attributes that I am looking for in a ball. I also plan on getting a ball fitting later this week, so hopefully that gives me a bit of directions as well.

Back