Bama...Golftec...The Adventure...

Good for you Bama! This should be a great one to follow and I wish you the best of luck attaining your goals.

good stuff bama. I say it multiple times a week, I wish there was a golftec near me.

thanks all....
now I just need to get either in the backyard, range or course to practice a bit....

Spring is right around the corner...I can hear the golf a callin....

Great write-up bama, were you amazed at how different your golf swing looks vs. how it feels?

Great write-up bama, were you amazed at how different your golf swing looks vs. how it feels?
oh yeah...even more amazed (read uncomfortable) when he put me in the correct motions... Gonna take a while to ungrain the bad stuff and ingrain the good....

Thoroughly enjoyed my evaluation too; have not been able to pull the trigger (on the wallet) yet for a series of lessons
I pulled the trigger and told Travis it was a lot easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.... (BTW...I begged.....and was forgiven)
The wife likes shopping in that area anyway.....

Im sure you'll appreciate that $$$ and time comittment in the long run buddy, good luck with the lessons. Wish I could hit up a GolfTec but the closest one to me is about a 6 hour drive one way, so unless they could cure all my problems in one visit Im not sure I can justify it.

oh yeah...even more amazed (read uncomfortable) when he put me in the correct motions... Gonna take a while to ungrain the bad stuff and ingrain the good....

I pulled the trigger and told Travis it was a lot easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.... (BTW...I begged.....and was forgiven)
The wife likes shopping in that area anyway.....

I looked at it like this: I was planning on getting new irons (at least $800) and started at GolfTEC for a fitting, but then with just a few small tweaks my swings was instantly better so instead of new irons I went with lessons and was going to get new irons after I finished the lessons at some point in the future. A good swing is better than new irons, and more useful. As it turned out, though, the irons that were my best fit (R9 TP) just dropped $300 in price and I had enough credit in my account to go ahead and get the irons anyway and still have some lessons left over! Win-win!

I forgot to mention one thing that is bugging me a bit...not about Golftec, but about my numbers....
Evidently, my hips hardly turn. (aka..armsy swing)
I am currently in the Red on that part of my swing,....but working on it...

I forgot to mention one thing that is bugging me a bit...not about Golftec, but about my numbers....
Evidently, my hips hardly turn. (aka..armsy swing)
I am currently in the Red on that part of my swing,....but working on it...

I feel your pain! :D

Good luck Bama! I'm really looking forward to your reports about your lessons & experiences

Good luck Bama! I start lessons on Tuesday with a local instructor, but looking at the golfTec website it's impressive. The closest GolfTec near me is a little to far for a regular commitment.

Thanks Bama for the insight and good luck as you continue. I've been kicking around the idea of getting fitted for a new driver and irons. The closest Golftec for me is also about 90 miles west of me in Cleveland Ohio. At $3.59 a gallon, I need to decide if the drive is worth it. Thanks for your write-up. Guess I should call this week for an appointment.

Happy golfing!

okay....Trying to learn something here about the way Golftec does their Handicapping system.
I sent an email this morning, but decided to ask the Golftec trainees out there.
Do any of you subscribe to the Golftec handicapping system??
they threw it in my package for free but it is pretty confusing...
Looks like they associate you with their home based golf course..... (in my case, Knoxville Country Club)

There is a place to just post scores and one for full game tracking.
Any advice on this system??

thanks
bama

Lesson #2

Lesson #2

Went for my second lesson....
Travis definitely liked my stance (weight more on he balls of my feet) and my weaker grip (both V's on my thumbs pointing at my shirt buttons.

He did not like the fact that I was still swaying back/forward too much on my swing.

He leaned a chair up against me that only needed a slight backwards nudge to make it fall the other direction.
Then he told me to start making practice swings....
(I started getting the idea after the second time I knocked the chair over)

The big theme to todays lesson was Takeaway Separation
I was trying to keep my rear elbow too tucked into my side and not separating the club enough from my body on my backswing....

My homework is too make my right arm as straight during the backswing AND my left arm (rear) as straight as I can ....

I started feeling muscles across my chest I have not used in a while....:beat-up:
I gained 15* of turn on my shoulders by not tucking my rear arm, but the better thing was I created a better path on the downswing by having the club away from my body......

More to come....

Bama

Last edited:
Went for my second lesson....
Travis definitely liked my stance (weight more on he balls of my feet) and my weaker grip (both V's on my thumbs pointing at my shirt buttons.

He did not like the fact that I was still swaying back/forward too much on my swing.

He leaned a chair up against me that only needed a slight backwards nudge to make it fall the other direction.
Then he told me to start making practice swings....
(I started getting the idea after the second time I knocked the chair over)

The big theme to todays lesson was Takeaway Separation
I was trying to keep my rear elbow too tucked into my side and not separating the club enough from my body on my backswing....

My homework is too make my right arm as straight during the backswing AND my left arm (rear) as straight as I can ....

I started feeling muscles across my chest I have not used in a while....:beat-up:
I gained 15* of turn on my shoulders by not tucking my rear arm, but the better thing was I created a better path on the downswing by having the club away from my body......

More to come....

Bama

Enjoyed your follow-up post. It sounds like some major adjustments going on good buddy! I hope you enjoy the process and get that swing ready for some 2011 par shooting :thumb:

glad to see the progress already

I had a few lessons at the beginning of the last few years, really make me an overall better ball striker

then came one of the last lessons, chipping...lets just say it didnt go well, and I wanted to shove my wedge where the sun doesnt shine.

So now im working on it solo, hoping I can get teh old pro at the club I joined to give me some pointers, but ive heard he is useless

I have had my share of problems with swaying too. There's nothing like video feedback to see what you're doing wrong. My instructor sent me a video from a swing the other day and I immediately saw some things I had no idea I was doing. I really like that chair drill. I need to do that one myself.

I'm curious as to why you are now using a weaker grip.

Keep up the hard work. I enjoy seeing how other GolfTEC lessons go for other people to compare with mine. So many different swings out there and so many ways to fix things using the same equipment and techniques. For instance, my GolfTEC coach has also had me use a chair, but against my butt, not my side. Instead of knocking it over I'm supposed to maintain contact with my backside so I don't "hump the shaft" - as he calls it - during my downswing. Who needs expensive swing aids all the time? I can use a chair at lessons or my golf bag on the range. Free!

I have had my share of problems with swaying too. There's nothing like video feedback to see what you're doing wrong. My instructor sent me a video from a swing the other day and I immediately saw some things I had no idea I was doing. I really like that chair drill. I need to do that one myself.

I'm curious as to why you are now using a weaker grip.

KB,
My LH thumb "V" (for Lefty) was pointing at my left shoulder..(or even outside of that)
I have a problem of coming through the ball and flipping my wrists too quickly causing a pull at impact
By weakening up the grip (the hands don't want to turn over as much through impact....)
Works pretty well...

KB,
My LH thumb "V" (for Lefty) was pointing at my left shoulder..(or even outside of that)
I have a problem of coming through the ball and flipping my wrists too quickly causing a pull at impact
By weakening up the grip (the hands don't want to turn over as much through impact....)
Works pretty well...

Thanks for the explanation Bama. Glad it's working for you!

ok...so I finally got back for my next lesson....
I decided to do a double lesson this time around due to the 90 mile drive (one way)
We split it up into two different categories...Full Swing and Putting..

Thus Far my lessons have included:
dont sway onto my back foot, weak grip on my Left Hand and throw that club as far back as I can on the back swing....

My full swing lesson this time around was on "getting the angle"
I am a pretty shallow golfer..Arc way back and arc on the downswing....Wrong....
You know that saying about "finding the slot", or "creating the angle".. Well..it finally clicked.....My instructor Travis, threw a pic of Phil up next to me and showed the acute angle he created on his downswing....and the obtuse angle I had..
Needless to say this opened up my eyes for the first time in years....Not only did it have me getting better ball speed. It started down the path of getting a better inside-out path as well as fixing my chicken wing right arm.....

05Still2.jpg

07Still3.jpg

The 2nd part was all about putting. The major word for me was inconsistent.
I told him to start from scratch....He threw up a pic of Tiger and said watch his hips and head...which neither moved. He then showed me my "always moving" body when I putt. the start of the fix. Eye over the ball by bending at the hips..I was too straight up...Biceps touching my chest and and facing outwards. Head and hips still.... While it felt totally awkward, I took it to my league that night and shot a 39 with about 50' of putts made...It was totally amazing....

Right now, I cant get enough golf with this new found wisdom..
thanks Goftec...for opening my eyes.....

Back