Head pro vs. Associate pro vs. Apprentice pro

tough one. I would ask for a 15 min lesson from each - then reserve the right to pick who you want after that. Its not a cheap purchase so they should be willing to bend. Also have you considered golftec? I really like their porgrams - their coaches i believe are all trained pretty well int he mechanics and follow a good program to get you where you want to be.

tough one. I would ask for a 15 min lesson from each - then reserve the right to pick who you want after that. Its not a cheap purchase so they should be willing to bend. Also have you considered golftec? I really like their porgrams - their coaches i believe are all trained pretty well int he mechanics and follow a good program to get you where you want to be.

Unfortunately, we don't have any golftecs up here!
It's Golftown, the city, or clubs I'm afraid.

Update:
I have been in contact with the afformentioned apprentice, and we will set up dates when the snow clears out.
He sounds fairly excited!

Update:
I have been in contact with the afformentioned apprentice, and we will set up dates when the snow clears out.
He sounds fairly excited!

Good to hear you are giving him a shot fink. Honestly these are probably the guys that are the freshest with knowledge because they are newer and just starting into the business. Another good thing is he may not have his sound principles he uses on all his students to teach yet so he will actually work with you personally to develop something good instead of just forcing things he using on his other students on you.

That's another great way to look at this.
I figure if he can take me down from a 121 to 110 he will be well worth the money.

These will be my second set of lessons.
I took 5 through Golftown last year and that really just solidified a base for ball striking. I hope to move onto something other than my 7-iron this year :laughing:

Fink this is meant to no dis-respect to your golf game at all, but I assume you are having some troubles (obviously the reason why you got lessons) but just be prepared to make some major changes to your swing and just remember that it is all for the better. While it may not work out at first the harder you work at it, it all starts to come into form. You may be discouraged at some point and wonder if the guy knows what he is doing, but he won't put you in any change ups or methods that he doesn't think will work.

I remember when I got lessons last year my pro wanted me to be in a more upright position. Our whole lesson we are based on the philosophy of feel and not worrying where the ball went, I hit the ball so badly and had sh**k after sh**k which didn't matter but it just felt really awkward and terrible and I said "I don't think I wanna bring this into my swing" Boy was I wrong. We went back to my old posture and continued on with the latter bit of the changes.

The next lesson he brought up my posture again and said "I think if you want to make some improvements you have to change this up" I finally agreed and haven't looked back since, my posture is more upright and feels comfortable now after working on it for quite some time, and it's all been change for the better.

No disrespect taken!
I know I suck the big one when it comes to this game, but it's [actually] one of the few things I seem to enjoy doing, and spending money on so I'm all for working hard to get better.
I was thinking the other day about what I can do to get back into it when the ranges open up...

No disrespect taken!
I know I suck the big one when it comes to this game, but it's [actually] one of the few things I seem to enjoy doing, and spending money on so I'm all for working hard to get better.
I was thinking the other day about what I can do to get back into it when the ranges open up...

Once you start taking lessons and your pro gives you things to work on, your motivation to hit the range and practise just SKYROCKETS, I mean you are going to be out there as much as you can working on these things. The first purely struck ball with the new swing is so gratifying man you will just light up.

Oh it's so true, the first time I started wrenching off 150 yard 7-iron shots last year was a nice sight considering it was way up from my 4i-driver distance of 100 yards :D

Oh it's so true, the first time I started wrenching off 150 yard 7-iron shots last year was a nice sight considering it was way up from my 4i-driver distance of 100 yards :D

Exactly, keep this thread as a journal for your lessons for the readers, I myself would love to read about how much are you improving, and I say that with confidence because I know it will happen.

Good luck Fink!

I start lessons tonight so we'll see how it goes.
I've been to the range twice this week, and they went exactly as I expected.. horribly.
Anything longer than a 7 iron? Forget about it. I think/know I swing too hard and too fast so things just go badly. My back hurts so something is WAY off, and I've decided to call it quits with the range until I get proper instruction on how to do things.

On another note, I'm a vicious weapon with my 58. If I ever get to about 70 yards from the hole, it's like dropping smart bombs.
My 54 though, that things a right little bugger to hit with! I don't quite understand why though.

Good luck RF, looking forward to seeing your updates in this thread as you go forward.

Update:

It turns out that I have a pretty solid swing. On the high speed cameras, if my ball direction was not shown the pro says that it would look like I have the swing of a 10-handicapper.
That was some pretty encouraging news!
My main flaw is an out-to-in swing so I have some drills to work on to work on getting rid of that. Next lesson in T-13 days so I have some time to work on it.

Update:

Played my first 9 holes of the year today, definitely showing promise.
I shot a 60, but that included a par 3 where I lost 3 balls in the water, and I had a couple blow out holes where I hit nothing but chunks around the green.
My putting practice over the winter on my carpet has really helped me with weighting so I only ever 2-putted tonight which was really nice.
Overall, a decent score for me, but the promise that my game is showing is definitely encouraging!

Update:

Went to the range tonight, and I HATE HATE HATE my 54˚ Wedge. I just don't understand why it's such a bugger to hit with compared to my 58˚. I can hit my 58˚ without even trying, but my 54˚ just punishes me over and over again. Ugh.

On the upside, I hit 2 perfect drives, which is a rarity for me!

Update:

Had my lesson on Friday. We figured out that the reason I can't hit my 54 or my driver or is because of my stance. When I was instructed before, I was told to stand on the balls of my feet for an athletic stance. I guess my mind converted this to leaning forward, almost onto my toes. So when I'm up on my toes in the back swing, that translates to me falling back onto my heels as I hit the ball, and follow through. This in turn brings the club back towards me by about an inch or an inch and a half - putting the ball on the toe of the club. Hence my uber slices.

After engraining the thought of standing more flat/even on my feet, I was able to correct some of the slicing (I still have issues with hitting the sweet spot of the club/closing my face at impact).

If it ever stops raining up here, I"ll get to the range and practice some more!
Until then, I'm left with my fairy tale romance with the the 910 driver to get me through the days.

Back