Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Hmm, tried the Mashie vs VR Pro again, and I have had my mind set on the Mashie for awhile. The VR pro continues to be longer and straighter than the Mashie. I may have to go that route.

Hmm, tried the Mashie vs VR Pro again, and I have had my mind set on the Mashie for awhile. The VR pro continues to be longer and straighter than the Mashie. I may have to go that route.

Can I ask which VR Pro vs which Mashie?

I tested both of these head to head for both distance and dispersion and had very different results with most of our testers.

I tested both of these head to head for both distance and dispersion and had very different results with most of our testers.
I tried the 20.5 Mashie vs the #3 21* VR pro. Both with stiff stock shafts.

I tried the 20.5 Mashie vs the #3 21* VR pro. Both with stiff stock shafts.

And the 21* was going longer than the 20.5*? Do you think that perhaps one of the shafts fit you better?

And the 21* was going longer than the 20.5*? Do you think that perhaps one of the shafts fit you better?

I'm sure that is what it really comes down to. I would argue that is the case with most clubs. The project x 6.0 was the one on the VR pro. I hit 10 balls with the VR pro. From the center line on the screen I was no more than 7 yArds at the furthest, both left and right.

I'm sure that is what it really comes down to. I would argue that is the case with most clubs. The project x 6.0 was the one on the VR pro. I hit 10 balls with the VR pro. From the center line on the screen I was no more than 7 yArds at the furthest, both left and right.

Was this off mats? That might explain things a little bit too. Glide rails usually suffer on mats just a tiny bit on distance and catching things a couple of MM thin.

Just got back from hitting my M3 for the first time. Wow, this club feels so nice. The head and Miyazaki shaft are meant to be together. I probably hit 30 balls or so on the range. I was hitting some high, straight shots that were sitting soft right around the 200 yd marker. These were with some really old, worn out range balls too. I am guessing with a new ball I should have right around 210-215 yds of carry. I hit a few knockdown shots as well, and the ball just goes and holds it line. I did try and swing out of my shoes on a few, which resulted in a high pull/draw/semi hook type shot. Definitely need to focus on holding the face square a little more after impact. I am really impressed so far and am looking forward to playing a few holes with it tomorrow evening.

Was this off mats? That might explain things a little bit too. Glide rails usually suffer on mats just a tiny bit on distance and catching things a couple of MM thin.

Yes, off matS

Hands down my VR pro out distanced the Cleveland. It was also a hell of alot more accurate (for me) as well. If your looking for a hybrid that is more blade/iron like, the VR is hard to beat. The mashie is more along the lines of a wood/hybrid, which may work best for others.

Hands down my VR pro out distanced the Cleveland. It was also a hell of alot more accurate (for me) as well. If your looking for a hybrid that is more blade/iron like, the VR is hard to beat. The mashie is more along the lines of a wood/hybrid, which may work best for others.

I just dont see it that way (FW wood look).

And I am still a little surprised that a 21* hybrid "hands down outdistanced" a 20.5* hybrid. Im assuming this was of the mats right?

Last edited:
Played my first 18 holes yesterday with the Mashies 3,4,5. I found myself hitting them every chance I could because I just hit them so well. My round was not so great but my best shots of the day came from a Mashie. One particular shot that I remember was from about 155 out and I had a tree limb hanging in front of me. I just took out my Mashie, put the ball back in my stance, and the ball started out nice and low clearing the branch and then flew up high and landed on the back of the green. I had a long par 5 hole with the 2nd shot over the water. I would normally hit a fairway wood but decided on my Mashie 3 instead since the ground was so wet and I just felt more confident with the Mashie. I don't think I got the distance with the M3 that I would normally get with a good FW shot, but what I got was an accurate straight shot that allowed me to hit my 3rd shot to the green.

I don't think a hybrid will ever be confused with a blade/iron. If anything the Mashie may look like one due to its retro finish. Hands down is a pretty strong statement....to me that sounds like it's at least 5-10 yds longer and more accurate. Over 50 testers who hit this last year at the THP Outing and others who did comparisons similar to this haven't seen these kind of results either so I'm glad the VR Pro is working well for you!

Yes, off matS

Minarets I can tell you from my own experience that I couldn't hit the Mashie off mats. I'm not trying to sell you on the Mashie but once I got off the mats and onto real grass the Mashie just came alive. It's the only club I have any problems hitting off of mats and I think the glide rails are the reason.

Minarets I can tell you from my own experience that I couldn't hit the Mashie off mats. I'm not trying to sell you on the Mashie but once I got off the mats and onto real grass the Mashie just came alive. It's the only club I have any problems hitting off of mats and I think the glide rails are the reason.

I think you might be right. This and the Baffler both gave me fits off the mats. I was catching every shot thin and distance and accuracy were screwed up on both.

I just dont see it that way (FW wood look).

And I am still a little surprised that a 21* hybrid "hands down outdistanced" a 20.5* hybrid. Im assuming this was of the mats right?

The VR Pro is one of the smallest hybrids I've ever seen, maybe that's why I think the Cleveland looks more FW like. I was hitting 18 vs 18. The mats didn't bother me at all, I wasn't hitting anything thin, the Cleveland was going left more times than not. Could be the shaft, could be the offset, who knows. But for me the Nike much better on both distance and accuracy.

The VR Pro is one of the smallest hybrids I've ever seen, maybe that's why I think the Cleveland looks more FW like. I was hitting 18 vs 18. The mats didn't bother me at all, I wasn't hitting anything thin, the Cleveland was going left more times than not. Could be the shaft, could be the offset, who knows. But for me the Nike much better on both distance and accuracy.

One has rails and one does not. It can affect hitting off mats. Glad you found your hybrid though. The shafts just dont match up for me.

I don't think a hybrid will ever be confused with a blade/iron. If anything the Mashie may look like one due to its retro finish. Hands down is a pretty strong statement....to me that sounds like it's at least 5-10 yds longer and more accurate. Over 50 testers who hit this last year at the THP Outing and others who did comparisons similar to this haven't seen these kind of results either so I'm glad the VR Pro is working well for you!

Like I said, for me the VR was hands down better. For me the Cleveland had a propensity to go left, the VR did not. BTW...I said the VR was more blade like, not the Cleveland.

3aeb16c5.jpg

f81b2067.jpg

I get my Mashie in the mail today, Im really excited probably wont hit it until Thursday though, I also agree the VR pro is smaller, which is the reason it replaces my 3 iron, I even have it cut to 3 iron length, but anyways im super excited about getting my Mashie in the mail today, I stated earlier that I had ordered the regular model but actually the order was placed for the tour version so we will see how this turns out :confused2:....oh and the stock graphite shaft offerings for the VR Pro line is garbage IMHO

I'm aware of what you said. I was just saying that no hybrid will be confused with a blade and that imo I think the mashie would look more like an iron just due tot he paint scheme alone. I'm glad the VR works for you!
Like I said, for me the VR was hands down better. For me the Cleveland had a propensity to go left, the VR did not. BTW...I said the VR was more blade like, not the Cleveland.

3aeb16c5.jpg

f81b2067.jpg

One has rails and one does not. It can affect hitting off mats. Glad you found your hybrid though. The shafts just dont match up for me.

Hey that's why there's alot of different clubs out there. I can tell you though the rails did not affect me hitting the ball off the mat. If I felt the club catching or twisting I would have stopped right there, but I didn't. The ball was up in the air with plenty of height, so thin shots were not the problem. I realize the Mashie has a cult like following here, so I'll tone down my reservations with the club.

Feel free to just ignore me if this as been discussed alread - I'm sure I'l lfind it eventually sifting through the 180+ pages of the comments later. Does anyone have a comparison between the Mashie and the Clevelend DST Launcher hybrids from last year?

see post #2623 in this thread from OEM Kevin.....
Feel free to just ignore me if this as been discussed alread - I'm sure I'l lfind it eventually sifting through the 180+ pages of the comments later. Does anyone have a comparison between the Mashie and the Clevelend DST Launcher hybrids from last year?

My grips are at the house, so I'll get those on tonight...maybe tomorrow I can FINALLY GET MY MASHIE ON!!

My grips are at the house, so I'll get those on tonight...maybe tomorrow I can FINALLY GET MY MASHIE ON!!

Nice, gettin your Mashie on, on your B-day!

Site owner/operator JB played the DST last year and made the switch. I hit the DST too and while it was good I think the Mashie all that much better. For one the shaft is a huge upgrade. Not saying the shaft in the DST is all that bad but the Miyazaki is that good. I find it more forgiving then the DST and easier to hit too.

see post #2623 in this thread from OEM Kevin.....

Boom. Again.

Back