Fastest Improvement You've Made

I started out, last April, shooting about a 95 on 18 holes. Between playing 4 times a week, getting lessons, and being so driven to do better, by the end of August I was shooting 82. I shot 82 3 times and 81 once, with the majority of my scoring being around 83. Thats a drop of 11 strokes! If I work just as hard and do the same things this year (I am hopefully joining the NENY JPGA Tour) I can do (about) that again. I certainly hope that I do!

30% less use of the 'F-word' on the course :D

This summer I shot 83 and then 69(with a 3 putt bogey, UGH).

My best season change came about 8 years ago. I co-worker was a scratch golfer and his dad was a teaching pro and we would play 9 holes at daybreak 3x per week and practice 2-3 x per week.

I went from shooting mid 90s to low 80s in about 6 months.

I started playing last July and was shooting in the high 130's. By the end of Sept. I was shooting right around the 100 mark, some higher a few games lower

Well, this past season was my second full year playing. My first year was with not good equipment, second year started with new Nike sumo irons....little did I know they were a R flex and I had all kinds of trouble hitting them consistently. My first year was nothing below the century mark. I wasn't devoted to getting better at that point, I was just having fun. Second year, new Nike irons, I had 2 rounds above 100, rest were mid to high 90's. I started reading up about equipment, and knew right away that I had to replace the irons. That's when I went with the Adams pro gold set with project x 6.0 stiff rifled shafts, and I had them fitted for my swing, which I will swear by to anyone is a must. Ball striking improved almost immediately, but playing a thinner blade style iron took a bit of an adjustment. I then needed to get my driver situation figured out, which I did, and that helped immensely off the box. After the equipment change, which happened around June or so, I stayed under 100, hit 86 once, but was consistently in the low to mid 90's. I played a ton of golf, according to my wife atleast, I would take my 5 yr old to a little par 3 course in the evening probably 3-5 times a week and just play that which really helped the short game. I would say after getting my equipment spec'd out for me, the next biggest thing that helped my game was work on the short game. I love the different types of shots that can be hit around the green. My favorite is "the flopper" thats what I told everyone when I was going to play it. Still need to improve on putting and anything within 100 yards.

I'd have to say my improvement was this year all because of taking lessons with my pro.

In April 2010 I started the season at a 6.9 Handicap, and progressively started getting worse and worse without lessons until May 2010 I peaked my highest at a 7.5. A couple weeks after that I worked with my coach and got it all the way down to a 5.6 in August 2010 and have been able to maintain that. A pretty dramatic decrease in my mind as I really do find the lower you get the harder it is to drop.

i once shot 100 one day and 80 the next day

I started last spring shooting 100. By the time my tournament season ended (Nov. 3rd) I was shooting 82-3. My last round I unfortunatly had an iffy round (although I pared the first 3...) shooting 86.

Ive improved in single rounds too. I played a round this summer where I shot like +10 on the first four holes, then pared out....and did the same on the back....I was hot on the last 5 holes of each side...shot 101 that day...

The fastest improvement I made came after getting fit for my Driver. I had never shot in the 70's before and the week after I got my new driver I shot 78. I was shooting mid 80 prior to that. Its amazing how well you can score when you hit the fairway more often.

Know nothing about it. Want to know the rules. For me golf is only hitting the ball into the holes.
Is it it?

you are going to be an epic member i can already see it hahaha

Last season I dropped my handicap from 22 to 14 during the course of the season. I have a feeling the next 8 strokes are not going to be that "easy"

Same! I came down from a 22 to a 12 hcp in my first season playing. I'm aiming to have it down to 6-8 this season...but like you allude to, it'll be much harder

My first year back playing i went from barely breaking 100s to breaking 80. Giving up baseball and playing the course instead of the guy walking with me really helped my game a lot.

As many have said it can be a little easier to drop strokes as a high-handicap player.

In November 2009 I shot a 117. The following March I shot a 97 without a single round of golf between the two scores. It wasn't a fluke, I continued to play at that level. How did I do it?

-Putting practice in my home.
-Modern irons/wedges. (I had been using 30 yr old Powerbuilts)
-Looking at good golf swings, thinking about my own, and practicing some changes in my garage.

I eliminated a lot of huge errors just by doing those three things.

you are going to be an epic member i can already see it hahaha

I'm almost certain that is a bot and not a real person, based on the responses I've seen in other threads and experiences on other forums.

I've been playing golf for about 11 years now. My best improvement was from March 2006 to about May 2007. I went from a 16.6 handicap index to about a 5.5 in that amount of time. It's gone back up a little now, but hopefully it won't be long until it goes back down.

I'm almost certain that is a bot and not a real person, based on the responses I've seen in other threads and experiences on other forums.

yeah i love screwing with bots before they get the ban hammer

back on topic
i played my brother on sat and i shot 56/50... everytime we play against each other we play horrendous cuz we get into each others minds
so today i went to the course to get my game back and my mind
shot 51/45/42
so if that counts as fastest improvement then 2 1/2 rounds is all it took

As far as score I can't recall, wish I could but my scores don't balloon or skyrocket and then drop super low. I'm either consistently bad or consistently good.

Scores have dropped since I updated my bag last summer. Went from shooting 110 to the low 90's with some practice. Short game really seems to be coming around. Now if I could only hit more GIR's.

Two season ago I went from a 15 handicap to a 6. Last season played to an 8 handicap.

Back