What part is holding your game back?

Right now it's my back not letting me get out and play that is holding me down.
When I do play, it's usually a toss up between my driver and long approach shots.

My putting really suffered last year. I've been working all winter on simplifying my stroke. Hopefully my work on the basement greens will translate to doing work on real greens.

Snow in the forecast today for Omaha... 1 to 8 inches expected. I should have been a weatherman.

I also miss too many greens and seem to always be saving pars. Also my length off the Tee. I have to hit a lot of long irons or Hybirds into the green.

I'm a horrible putter. Seriously. I play golf about 50 times a year and my Wife, who has never played golf, can putt better than I can.

I can not begin to count the number of holes I GIR'd last year only to 3 putt my way to a bogey. And I'm not talking about 40' putts either.

BUT HAVE NO FEAR, I've been diligently practicing and I expect a significant improvement. :act-up:

I also miss too many greens and seem to always be saving pars. Also my length off the Tee. I have to hit a lot of long irons or Hybirds into the green.

Well, at least you're saving pars!

Short game. Gotta get better at getting the ball in the hole from 60 yards and in. Think I can get to a single digit handicap this year if I can improve this part of my game.

Short game for sure. I have been working on getting my distances down and finding a consistent half swing shot. I think I am about to ditch my 60* because the more I think about it the more I realize it gets me in trouble. I definitely need a short distance wedge, but maybe my 60* just isn't it.

GIR from 185 yds and out is probably the biggest detriment to my game, but then again my home course has some pretty tough small greens.

Short game. My chipping is sooo bad. I get pretty shaky when I chip because I have some demons with chipping. If I had a perfect short game I could be shooting low 70's.

Driving could be better too.

My inside 60 yard game could be much better. I also think if I stopped trying to get cute with shots I could shed some strokes. Sometimes I just want to try and play a 3 wood from off the pine straw in the trees with a 75 yard slice over water. Haha I really think I need to start taking less club off the tee and leave myself more 150-170 yard shots instead off 60-90 yard shots.

Ability to read putts.....

My inside 60 yard game could be much better. I also think if I stopped trying to get cute with shots I could shed some strokes. Sometimes I just want to try and play a 3 wood from off the pine straw in the trees with a 75 yard slice over water. Haha I really think I need to start taking less club off the tee and leave myself more 150-170 yard shots instead off 60-90 yard shots.

As short as those distances are F2G, those are hard shots. I'm guessing it would be a light 56* or 60* for you and those shots require so much touch it's insane. I don't mind a full wedge but something inbetween like that is deadly. If I had a super chance for a GIR i'd love the 120-130 distance.

Mine is mainly weather (snow). If I could play more i'd be fine. Distance would be a little bit of a problem but i've always dealt with it.

I loose a lot of strokes to penalties from loosing balls off the tee. If I can keep the ball in play, I'll easily shave 15-25+ stokes off my scores. Breaking 100 then would be no problem.

GIRs. I don't hit enough of them. Hard to break 90 when I hit 7% GIR. Also bunker play. I tend to waste a shot or 2 digging up sand and watching the ball roll back down the hill but I may have fixed that with a drill I found online....

Inconsistent directional control on full shots and lag putting. I don't think I'm unique.

Maybe try JB Holmes routine?? Hahaha

haha, the sure-fire way to a 5-hour round! :banana:

With me its simply my head, I can hit the shots, I just let things snowball to easily. I've improved on that aspect though, i'm no where near as bad as I used to be about it.

As short as those distances are F2G, those are hard shots. I'm guessing it would be a light 56* or 60* for you and those shots require so much touch it's insane. I don't mind a full wedge but something inbetween like that is deadly. If I had a super chance for a GIR i'd love the 120-130 distance.

Yeah they're so much feel it's hard to control. Especially with wind and where I live and play is right off the beach, so there's always wind. I'd much rather be able to take a full shot instead of trying to worry about trajectory and how much the wind will hurt/help a little feel shot.

Right now its my driver. Short game and iron play is great right now, when I'm hitting my driver even half decent I can go low, when he is not co-operating scores go wayyyyy up.

As of right now it's putting. I went out this past Saturday for the first time this season. I 3-putted just about every G-D hole! I am usually a pretty decent putter too. The greens were soft and slightly damp what with ground still thawing and all & it was windy as hell. There is still no excuse to 3-putt almost every stinkin' hole! Last year my big downfall was my second shot, no matter where from or with what club. It got to the point it was mental. I hope I don't get that way with putting. I am thinking about switching to a claw-grip for a while. Anybody have any luck with that?

whats holding me back is just hitting some approach shots in worst spots and not being able to get up and down then start to lose momentum and cant really get it back

Proper release with the driver and 3wood. For some reason leaving the club face open at impact or at least that is what it appears to be. Not showing up in with hybrids or irons though.

Get the release better, hit more fairways= better game.

I know I'm in no position to give advice or make suggestions but depending on lie, pin placement, etc I can use anything from a hybrid to bump n run with or a SW/LW
Consistency from 50 yards and in is what is holding me back. I'll be working feverishly to correct that early on this season.

Me to man. It's killing me. I have no clue on which club to even use for a 25-50 yard shot. It's very frustrating. My chances of getting up and down from 40 yards is slim to none right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back