Callaway I(Z) and I(S) Golf Balls - Any Thoughts?

ddxu

Reaction score
Handicap
Forgive & redirect me if there is already a thread on this, but my search returned nothing (could be due to the naming convention).

Has anyone tried out either of these balls consistently? They are both on sale at a Walmart here in Boise for $29, which looks to be a pretty good deal. I'm contemplating filling the suitcase while in town.

How do they compare to the Pro Vs, Z Stars, etc?

I fared pretty well with the I series a few years ago, but switched off them last year.

I played the I(s) for a while and its a good ball. It was a little harder imo than the Z-star and I couldn't compress it as well with my irons. This is just based of feel I have no numbers to back that up. Good greenside spin, and short iron spin, for $29 bucks you can't go wrong if you have the SS for them.

I found an IZ on the course one day and tried it out. I was getting tremendous spin with my short irons to the greens. I am used to some rollout but this thing just stopped dead.

I picked up some iS but I really can't give my opinion on them. My swing was a bit off and my new irons were bent way too upright the last two times I've played. However, I have been completely surprised by the iS lack of durability. I have just destroyed the cover on a few of them. You definitely can't hit a tree

Interesting - I was just going to comment to the contrary regarding durability. I found an i(s) on course the other day and finished my round with it. I blasted it all over the place, and after a scrub there's only one slight scuff on it, hardly noticeable. Then again, I don't think I hit anything hard (tree, cart path, roots, etc.).

I usually play a Z-Star, and I was getting expected distances out of the i(s) on well-hit iron shots and tee shots. The ball performs admirably around the greens, but I expected that, since the cover feels very soft / grippy. I enjoy putting with this ball as well. If I found these for $30/doz. I would definitely pick up a box. When my current stash of good balls runs out, I might even try these Callaways out next. There's something about that old english lettering and hexagonal dimple that really catches my eye.

Interesting - I was just going to comment to the contrary regarding durability. I found an i(s) on course the other day and finished my round with it. I blasted it all over the place, and after a scrub there's only one slight scuff on it, hardly noticeable. Then again, I don't think I hit anything hard (tree, cart path, roots, etc.).

I usually play a Z-Star, and I was getting expected distances out of the i(s) on well-hit iron shots and tee shots. The ball performs admirably around the greens, but I expected that, since the cover feels very soft / grippy. I enjoy putting with this ball as well. If I found these for $30/doz. I would definitely pick up a box. When my current stash of good balls runs out, I might even try these Callaways out next. There's something about that old english lettering and hexagonal dimple that really catches my eye.

I agree with everything you said right there. My distances were right up there with the z star. However the couple of trees I hit did a number on one of them. The cart path I unfortunately hit on a bomb on a par 5 took the skin off half of it.

I played the I(s) for a while and its a good ball. It was a little harder imo than the Z-star and I couldn't compress it as well with my irons. This is just based of feel I have no numbers to back that up. Good greenside spin, and short iron spin, for $29 bucks you can't go wrong if you have the SS for them.

Similar to my experience. I play the Z Star and didn't feel like I could really get anything out of the Cally either. Was definately a little shorter off the tee with the driver for me.

I liked the (I)s a fair bit, pretty simialir to the Z Star for me though I did find it stopped a little faster around the green. The I(z) was the longer of the two but it needs a pretty fast swing to get the most out of it

Played the iS competitively most of last season. Very good ball, great around the greens but durability is bothersome. About the same distance as other balls in that category.

Tried the iZ early in the year and didn't like it. Felt more like an NXT Tour than a true tour ball for me. Didn't get enough spin, trajectory had a lot of arc etc.

I play the i(s) and i(z) along with the zstar. The i(s) is a amazing ball around the greens, off the putter it feels great, wedges and short irons its point and shoot with these, they spin so well. When its wet i play the i(z) and when its dry and hard the i(s) since it spins more. I have also hit some of the longest drives i ever have with the i(s)

callaway has good balls. i don't like their clubs but i find the i(z) to be the lowest spinning off the driver of the balls i have tried.

wow, quite a mixed batch of reviews; thanks guys. I might just get a dozen of each and call it a day. If i like them , maybe i can pick more up next time i'm in town. I hope my driver ss of 105 will be enough for the i(z) though.

wow, quite a mixed batch of reviews; thanks guys. I might just get a dozen of each and call it a day. If i like them , maybe i can pick more up next time i'm in town. I hope my driver ss of 105 will be enough for the i(z) though.

im sure 105 will be fine, im not sure what mine is exactly but i think im around there and it works fine for me, my drives are usually around 260-280 with the every once in awhile when the ground is hard 300

Back