1st Round of the Year Posts

airguard

Reaction score
Christchurch, New Zealand (USPS / APO Address)
Handicap
Played in a New Years Day club tournament yesterday. Thought I would start the New Year with a new found confident game.
Just the opposite! Blew out the front nine then realized what (and how many) things I was doing wrong and came back on the back nine but not before blowing my handicap.:shame:
So much for starting the New Year right…. What a humbling game!
Hope you all start your golf year better than me!

THP Edit: Since we have so many playing their first round of the year and starting a new thread on it, we have decided to merge them all into one thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played already? Man, I'm jealous!! We've only had 3 hours of daylight so far here today!

It was almost 60 here yesterday and almost all of the snow us gone. Today =15 degrees and windy. That's just not fair.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Played already? Man, I'm jealous!! We've only had 3 hours of daylight so far here today!

It helps that it is summer there! It's about 20 degrees here, so no playing today!

It's close to 50* here so the trunk is loaded up with clubs. Heading to the driving range for "lunch" if anyone ask or should be there from work. It's not playing a round but it's going to have to work for now until it gets dry and warmer.

look i can post like tc from tapatalk

Thankfully I still have a couple of months of false confidence left before I make it to the course.

We have about 4 inches on the ground, so I'll be playing pool today instead of golf. Could go to the sim, but then I'd want to buy something.

I was going to play today with my father in law as on new years day all the courses here open up for free so you can play the beautiful private clubs that you can't play all year. But then today it is -4* celcius with frost on the ground and all the courses closed! Damn.

I am leaving in 15 min for my first round this year... wish me luck

I am leaving in 15 min for my first round this year... wish me luck

I wish you luck but damn you warm weather Canucks.

Just got back from my first round (9 holes). Only played average, but it was nice to get out in decent weather for a change. 63*F right now, but started at around 47.

I didn't score great but I hit two of the nicest INTENTIONAL cuts I have ever played. In the end I shot a 46.

First Round of the Year Thoughts

First Round of the Year Thoughts

I'll be playing my first round of the year on Thursday, my birthday coincendentally!

I haven't picked up a club for probably almost four or five months. I'm curious what you all think I should focus on.

A little background info, I switched to the S&T swing style last year and have seem some good improvements by using it, but don't exactly follow it to the letter anymore.

Should I be focusing on just short game, long game, or maybe just putting???

P.S. As it is by Bday I'll be enjoying a few cigars so I know I'll be taking my time and enjoying just being off work and on the course!

I'm gonna say focus on crisp contact. Don't worry about how well you do, just focus on getting your swing back where you left off last season. It will come back sooner or later, just get the feel and the rythem as if you were playing on a nice warm day in the middle of last season.

Happy early Birthday Icey!

I know what you mean. I haven't played in a long time either and wonder what my first round will be like and what I should focus on. IMHO I think you should just go out and have fun. It's the first round of the new season! See what your game brings and it will let you know what you need to focus on down the road.

Tempo and having fun, and have a happy birthday.

I alway think fairways and greens first , then the putting will come around {maybe, sometimes i think}

Pull an 18'er and have fun.

I would recommend two things.. Your short game and your flexibility.
I don't mean that you need to rush and take up yoga. Golf uses specific muscles, so throw a
club behind your neck and do some twists to start getting loose.

Sit on the floor with the soles of your feet touching and do butterflies to warm up your
hip joints... You also have time to get your clubs regripped, that's always a nice gift to
yourself, if they need to be replaced.

After that, drink a cold one for us and enjoy! Happy birthday (thursday)!

I'd just stretch good, practice putt for awhile, and remember first rounds are bound to be rusty.

I developed a huge slice but I did manage a 45 yard chip in. Had a good short game and irons, but my driver and hybrids were not great.

1st Round

1st Round

Played my first round of golf this year on my Charlotte Vacation!

Shot 74 at EAGLE CHASE GC in Marshville, NC

Pictures to follow

wow nice round R7! I guess your game didn't get too rusty over the winter.

Good round. How was the course? I have never played any courses on the East coast.

Nice round! Also nice to have a good one right at the start.

Very nice round r7. Way to start the new season.

Back