Trying to help my dad find some irons

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
Hey everyone, you have been a great help to me so hopefully you can help me help my dad. He is looking for new irons and I have seen great deals on the R9 TP irons, but I could not find a review thread on here for the irons from testers. He is about a 16 handicap and is pretty set on either the r9 or the r9 TP. I personally hit the R9 TP at my local Dicks Sporting Goods the other day and I thought they felt great! Especially for a non-forged iron. I even considered getting them but I currently love my Nike VR split cavity and if I were to switch I would go for the new TM Tour Preferred MC. The r9 TP still seemed workable and I could tell if I did not hit it square but didnt lose a lot of distance. They seemed forgiving and very hot on the face. He is worried about getting the TP irons and not being able to hit them well since they are a players iron, but the regular irons seemed very bulky to me. Anyway...I searched but could not find a testers or review thread, so mods feel free so move this to where it belongs, I just want to get some feedback from others with mid-hgh handicaps on what they felt about the r9 vs, r9 TP irons. Thanks everyone!

I have hit the r9's. I will say this, those things fly a country mile. I averaged 5 yards further over my x-22s. Not the most forgiving club though, as I also averaged 60 yards off target. Felt great though...

Have him hit both. A 16 handicapper can still be great with irons.

I would say for a 16 handicap something more forgiving is worth a look.

Something like the new Wilson Di-11. ?? and the new Adams irons are nice forgiving irons. Just my opinion but most of the time people look right at taylormade and callaway and nike. Like me for example a lot of taylormade stuff however I have looked at other stuff and for Irons Wilson is really bringing the heat. Whenever If i ever change my irons it will be tough to choose between TM, Adams, Wilson but for a 16 handicap I would look for Forgiving irons over shot making irons... you work your way towards the R9 type irons

Also I thought mizuno is the most used amateur iron by the top amateurs out there and they make different levels of irons. Check their iron sets out because Mizuno always makes great stuff but their advertising is less. Doesnt mean the technology is not as good

Thanks tc that's exactly what I was looking for

TMSHACKS I am from Goshen/Elkhart

I was in the market for new irons right around the time those came out. I hit both of them extensively in the simulators and I really liked the TPs. Not as forgiving, but the ball went a LONG way and they had a nice feel to them. But both sets are great sticks.

You can get the R9's for $400 at GPPgolf. Just an FYI

Yeah andrew that is why he is considering them. I really liked the R9 TP and you cant beat those prices. He wants a new set and he is thinking of either getting those along with a new driver or just a brand new set of irons.

I hit the regular R9's today and really liked them. The sounds and feel was nice and I was very accurate with them. When I went to the store that I was going to purchase from I was told that I could buy what they had on the shelf but could not get them custom fit from TM because of the newer models coming out. They could bend them if needed but I could not get the longer shafts that I need. Not sure if your dad would have that same problem with getting them fit to him but just something else to think about.

There are so many great irons out today. I think he needs to go get fit and try out a lot of different ones. I wound up buying mizunos after hitting and trying and reading about a lot of different ones. I would have never thought in a million years I would own Mizunos.

Have fun on your search.

I would tend to agree that the TP's may be a bit too much club for a 16 cap, and that if he is stuck on Taylors I would just go with the R9's. A little more forgiveness and larger club face are going to go a long way. While also getting that "players" look that the TP's have. I would also look at the 2.0's. As I'm sure he would get alot from these clubs as almost everyone who hits them does.
But in saying that, I also agree with rrpruett. In this day and age there are so many different irons out there with so much to offer, it is best to try everything and get fitted properly. You never know, you could end up going completely off the map with something you never even thought of because it works the best for "you" (your dad).
Goodluck in your search!!

Hey everyone, you have been a great help to me so hopefully you can help me help my dad. He is looking for new irons and I have seen great deals on the R9 TP irons, but I could not find a review thread on here for the irons from testers. He is about a 16 handicap and is pretty set on either the r9 or the r9 TP. I personally hit the R9 TP at my local Dicks Sporting Goods the other day and I thought they felt great! Especially for a non-forged iron. I even considered getting them but I currently love my Nike VR split cavity and if I were to switch I would go for the new TM Tour Preferred MC. The r9 TP still seemed workable and I could tell if I did not hit it square but didnt lose a lot of distance. They seemed forgiving and very hot on the face. He is worried about getting the TP irons and not being able to hit them well since they are a players iron, but the regular irons seemed very bulky to me. Anyway...I searched but could not find a testers or review thread, so mods feel free so move this to where it belongs, I just want to get some feedback from others with mid-hgh handicaps on what they felt about the r9 vs, r9 TP irons. Thanks everyone!

Just posted something similar in another thread. I play the R9 with KBS 90 Stiff. I previously played Adams Pro Golds w/ PX 6.0. I hit these R9's approximately 2 clubs longer than with the Adams. I attribute this equally between a swing change, slightly (and I mean slightly) stronger lofts of the R9's, a shaft that fits me better, and because of all that - better center face contact. My handicap has come down about 5-6 strokes since I put this into play. I could not be happier. And at the current prices, to me these are a no-brainer.

Good luck!

Well my dad narrowed it down to the R9 TP, and then he had me order them for him off of gppgolf.com because they were only $499! So anyhow, I called to order them and they said we got the last set they had. So then they come in the mail today and I opened the box, and they all have brand new custom golf pride grips on them! He got a freakin' set of Taylormade R9 TP's with about $85 worth of grips for only $500! They put the black and white golf pride grips on them and they look so awesome with the red KBS shaft band, and then the red, white, black and chrome head. I immediately called GPPgolf to make sure they didn't have another set lying around and unfortunately they don't. I can't even find a set of these on ebay for under $500 I should have taken advantage of it when I could. TGW had a 2-day iron sale last week and had them down to $515, but that obviously didn't include the grips that my dad got included. I am so jealous!

Sounds like you did get a really great deal. Your Dad should be super happy with the clubs. Nice to read that your search ended well!

Back