Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Has anyone hotmelted these heads yet? I need to figure out the grip situation as the 83 shaft has a .580 butt and I am going to cut my shafts shorter by 1/2". I am very long with these things and like the shorter iron like length. Just putting on new grips dropped the swingweight as expected but cutting them shorter will make it worse. Want them to be D4/D5 and they will be around D0/C8 with grip and shorter shaft. Don't want to put lead tape on the sole since it might affect it's rail performance. Could settle with a tip weight but prefer hotmelting.

I got my first official Mashie today. I played a few shots out of KellyBo's bag and she can speak about the results. I had to purchase one after we made the turn. I have a M3 20.5 in my bag and it is hawt! I was concerned about some posts on here referring to too much hook, too much offset, etc. I can hook a shot with the best of em but with a smooth swing, this dawg will hunt. Baby draws that turn right back into the pin. I played every hole today from the back tees except the last hole. We had some players in front of us and I wanted to move up so we could see their location. Teed off from the senior tees on our par five #18 with the M3. Tee shot was approx 220. Hit it again from 210 out and was 20 yards short of the green. Wedged up and hit KellyBo's ball or it would have been a tap in birdie, made par :angry:. Anyways it was fun playing two M3 mashie shots on a par five from the Senior tees. The next addition to my bag will be the M1 15.5 :thumb:

Last edited:
I was thinking a bit about my issues with the Mashie the other day and I'm pretty sure I have them figured out. Now, I just need to get back on the course to confirm. Last year, steep (normal) swing + hitting down on the ball like an iron = Mashie success. Sunday, trying a flat swing and slightly opening the face (for some stupid reason) = Mashie failure. Not sure what I was thinking, but I changed some things that just didn't need changing.

Feel free to just ignore me if this as been discussed alread - I'm sure I'l lfind it eventually sifting through the 180+ pages of the comments later. Does anyone have a comparison between the Mashie and the Clevelend DST Launcher hybrids from last year?

I own both in the 4 hybrid. I haven't had the Mashie long enough to tell you for sure but I really liked the DST too. I will do some comparisons for you this week and let you know how they come out. Ole Gray is using my DST 4 hybrid now and loves it. I'll let him test with me and we will let you know OUR results.

I picked up a #3 and #4 today.

Come on down to Georgia and hit em! Seriously you will be pleasantly surprised. You KNOW how much I loved my Cobra Bafflers and for me to do a flip flop is not likely. Well consider it done now.

Played some golf this evening with the M3 for the first time. I hit a variety of shots and was quite impressed. I hit twice off the tee that resulted in a pull and a small draw, but both were still playable. I decided to try and hit a 3/4 choked shot from 185 yds that resulted in a bounce pin high and rolled about 10 feet (sunk birdie putt, but who's keeping track). The next hole was a par 5 and after my tee shot, I was left with 277 to center. I would normally hit to the 100 yd marker and leave a nice wedge in, but I decided to swing away with the mashie. I aimed at a tree behind the green and the ball ended up 58 yds from center right inline with the tree! (the course is very wet, so in normal conditions the ball would have probably been 10 yds closer) Later in the round I had a 209 yd approach on another par 5, with a small creek in front of the green. These were the kind of shots I wanted the mashie for. Before, I would either lay-up (!?) or try and squeak a 4 iron there. Sometimes I would try a small 5 wood, but I would usually end up long or pulling it into the woods. I choked down on the mashie a little and hit a shot heading right at the pin. It ended up being a little long, but was maybe 2 yds off the back of the green. I am VERY impressed with the mashie and am looking forward to gaming it some more this weekend after the rain passes. Honestly, I still can't believe Cleveland is selling these for $149....it's a steal!

Played some golf this evening with the M3 for the first time. I hit a variety of shots and was quite impressed. I hit twice off the tee that resulted in a pull and a small draw, but both were still playable. I decided to try and hit a 3/4 choked shot from 185 yds that resulted in a bounce pin high and rolled about 10 feet (sunk birdie putt, but who's keeping track). The next hole was a par 5 and after my tee shot, I was left with 277 to center. I would normally hit to the 100 yd marker and leave a nice wedge in, but I decided to swing away with the mashie. I aimed at a tree behind the green and the ball ended up 58 yds from center right inline with the tree! (the course is very wet, so in normal conditions the ball would have probably been 10 yds closer) Later in the round I had a 209 yd approach on another par 5, with a small creek in front of the green. These were the kind of shots I wanted the mashie for. Before, I would either lay-up (!?) or try and squeak a 4 iron there. Sometimes I would try a small 5 wood, but I would usually end up long or pulling it into the woods. I choked down on the mashie a little and hit a shot heading right at the pin. It ended up being a little long, but was maybe 2 yds off the back of the green. I am VERY impressed with the mashie and am looking forward to gaming it some more this weekend after the rain passes. Honestly, I still can't believe Cleveland is selling these for $149....it's a steal!

Thanks for the write up man, sounds like a performer to me. So would you say that its a club that you could easily hit into a green of average speed from over 200 yds and still be able to confidently stop it on the green?

Come on down to Georgia and hit em! Seriously you will be pleasantly surprised. You KNOW how much I loved my Cobra Bafflers and for me to do a flip flop is not likely. Well consider it done now.
Thanks for the invite Gray! I will look forward to that day. I see you picked up the #3...for a southerner you keep getting closer and closer to Cleveland. :-0

tm is better

I can handle your double posting in every thread, I get that your new, I understand that. But please do not disrespect a company by posting this comment in a testing thread. Its very uncalled for and im almost willing to bet you havent even hit the mashie (just a guess) Please be more respectful of the site, thats all im asking. Have a good night, doublex.

Better yet, report it as the spam it is.

Thanks for the write up man, sounds like a performer to me. So would you say that its a club that you could easily hit into a green of average speed from over 200 yds and still be able to confidently stop it on the green?

I think if I hit the ball flush it should be able to stop on the green. Most of the shots I have hit have been fairly high, so I can see a green holding it. The 185 yd approach was kind of a peircing trajectory and it held. It was about 10 feet from the ball mark. I plan to play 27 saturday and 36 sunday, so I should get a lot of mashie time in. I will definitely give my thoughts sunday night.

I can handle your double posting in every thread, I get that your new, I understand that. But please do not disrespect a company by posting this comment in a testing thread. Its very uncalled for and im almost willing to bet you havent even hit the mashie (just a guess) Please be more respectful of the site, thats all im asking. Have a good night, doublex.

Yeah I agree. Unfortunatley this isnt the only thread that I have notice the problem in.

I got my first official Mashie today. I played a few shots out of KellyBo's bag and she can speak about the results. I had to purchase one after we made the turn. I have a M3 20.5 in my bag and it is hawt! I was concerned about some posts on here referring to too much hook, too much offset, etc. I can hook a shot with the best of em but with a smooth swing, this dawg will hunt. Baby draws that turn right back into the pin. I played every hole today from the back tees except the last hole. We had some players in front of us and I wanted to move up so we could see their location. Teed off from the senior tees on our par five #18 with the M3. Tee shot was approx 220. Hit it again from 210 out and was 20 yards short of the green. Wedged up and hit KellyBo's ball or it would have been a tap in birdie, made par :angry:. Anyways it was fun playing two M3 mashie shots on a par five from the Senior tees. The next addition to my bag will be the M1 15.5 :thumb:

Welcome to the world of Mashie Gray!!!!!

I think if I hit the ball flush it should be able to stop on the green. Most of the shots I have hit have been fairly high, so I can see a green holding it. The 185 yd approach was kind of a peircing trajectory and it held. It was about 10 feet from the ball mark. I plan to play 27 saturday and 36 sunday, so I should get a lot of mashie time in. I will definitely give my thoughts sunday night.

Thanks for the feedback and the quick response. Testers like you being able to provide timely and crucial performance information to us consumers is what makes THP one of the best testing forums in the business and frankly any manufacturer should feel confident having their products tested here.

Thanks for the feedback and the quick response. Testers like you being able to provide timely and crucial performance information is what makes THP one of the best consumer testing forums in the business and frankly any manufacturer should feel confident having their products tested here.

No problem, bro. I am actually not a tester. All of the reviews I have read on here made me a buyer. I have had 1 other hybrid before and didn't like it, but I love the Mashie though. I 100% agree with everything you said though. Well put!

No problem, bro. I am actually not a tester. All of the reviews I have read on here made me a buyer. I have had 1 other hybrid before and didn't like it, but I love the Mashie though. I 100% agree with everything you said though. Well put!

Well you having the club in your hands and providing your feedback to THP members makes you a tester in my eyes wether its offcially for THP or not. Plus Im sure Cleveland appreciates you taking the time to provide your opinion as well. So either way I appreciate it.

I had a Mashie shot like that my last round. It was the #1 HCP and I had about 210 ish to the hole. Im pretty sure I hit the M2 with a nice little draw on it and stuck it. It landed nice and soft too. Maybe rolled two feet.

Based on the terrific thread bought an M1 and M3. Am on vacation this week and haven't go to play a good bit. After getting used to them the Mashie's are terrific clubs. Was seeing 225 with the M1 and 195-205 with the M3. Am considering an M4 or an M5. How many yards drop are people seeing between their M3s and M4s or between M3s and an M5? I worry that the degrees are so close between the clubs that it may not be that different. Thanks everyone

Based on the terrific thread bought an M1 and M3. Am on vacation this week and haven't go to play a good bit. After getting used to them the Mashie's are terrific clubs. Was seeing 225 with the M1 and 195-205 with the M3. Am considering an M4 or an M5. How many yards drop are people seeing between their M3s and M4s or between M3s and an M5? I worry that the degrees are so close between the clubs that it may not be that different. Thanks everyone

I think thats the perfect combo right there. I think I might off my M2 and go the same route as you. The M3 is just such an awesome club and the M2 doesnt seem to be that much longer then it.

Cobra called and they want their fan club membership card back Gray...looks like you have a whole lot of Cleveland stuff in the bag and now some MAshies!?!?!

I had a Mashie shot like that my last round. It was the #1 HCP and I had about 210 ish to the hole. Im pretty sure I hit the M2 with a nice little draw on it and stuck it. It landed nice and soft too. Maybe rolled two feet.

Thanks man. Thats one of my top priority's with a hybrid is the ablility to be able to hit them into greens and have them stop.

Cobra called and they want their fan club membership card back Gray...looks like you have a whole lot of Cleveland stuff in the bag and now some MAshies!?!?!

He's joined the cult!

Back