5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

Fantastic news everyone who has been knocking off the weight!!! Way to go people!!! Mary, Yoccos was right and you eserve two thumbs up for the great work you have done and here they are :good: :good: I like the black and orange !!!! :bananadance:

For a few reasons, my weight loss program has not been as successful as I hoped it would of been but I am gonna try to push hard in these next couple of weeks and knock off what I can.

KellyBo said muscle mass weighs more than fat. She said picture a block of butter and the muscle would weight twice as much as the fat.

I think it's that a pound of fat and muscle weighs the same but a pound of muscle takes up less space than a lb of fat (took longer to finish this than I thought in case anyone beat me to it).

On a related topic, joined a gym after a week's trial. Going to start my workout program in earnest on Monday. Until then cardio cardio cardio. And good news is that jeans are fitting better. Bad news is I foresee having to buy a new wardrobe in a few months.

good luck to all.

I think it's that a pound of fat and muscle weighs the same but a pound of muscle takes up less space than a lb of fat (took longer to finish this than I thought in case anyone beat me to it).

While they weigh the same, muscle will take up less space & burn calories at a faster rate than fat will.

I was able to get through 13 miles today and feel pretty good. I am starting to feel alot better about my impending marathon in Nashville that is now 56 days away. Keep up the good work folks, MaryC is setting a high bar!

I have lost a total of 18 pounds since this thread started.12 in the last 2 weeks. The atkins diet I switched to is really working wonders. I love eating steaks and burgers w/o the bun. It has been tuff at work though. It is hard to resist all of the roasted nuts.

I have lost a total of 18 pounds since this thread started.12 in the last 2 weeks. The atkins diet I switched to is really working wonders. I love eating steaks and burgers w/o the bun. It has been tuff at work though. It is hard to resist all of the roasted nuts.

WOW! Congratulations Clam and I am envious to say the least :clapp:. I am hanging around a four pound loss but my body shape has changed for the good. I will work more on the diet part and hopefully drop six more pounds by May. I may end up five pounds short of my goal but we shall see . I have put five days a week into some serious workouts and burned a ton of calories but still not losing enough. :at-wits-end: You are an inspiration Clam :thumb:

Thanks Gray! Only 10 more pounds to go. The atkins diet has made it easy and I have been walking and running 3 miles a day for the last week.

Clam nice job buddy! I just want steak and burgers. Haha.

I weighed in at 235.4 yesterday. It's coming down to where its not much per week anymore but I feel 10x better.

WOW! Congratulations Clam and I am envious to say the least :clapp:. I am hanging around a four pound loss but my body shape has changed for the good. I will work more on the diet part and hopefully drop six more pounds by May. I may end up five pounds short of my goal but we shall see . I have put five days a week into some serious workouts and burned a ton of calories but still not losing enough. :at-wits-end: You are an inspiration Clam :thumb:
Sounds like to many secret stops at the DQ :bananadance::hungry:
I could stand to loose a few myself , but that Schwinn Airdyne makes for a better place for the wife to hang clothes :D

Sounds like to many secret stops at the DQ :bananadance::hungry:
I could stand to loose a few myself , but that Schwinn Airdyne makes for a better place for the wife to hang clothes :D

Actually we did not make the trip to DQ as KellyBo mentioned last evening. I did have one beer yesterday which is not bad. ST the funny thing about me is I have lost one size in my waist. My pants are literally falling off without a belt. I can pull them over my hips without unhitching the button etc. So although I am not drastically showing a decrease (down to 214 from 220) my body is changing. KellyBo was going to take a picture of me today, after I returned from the Gym and compare it to three months ago. Battery problems so no pics but I am pretty excited about my strength and firmer body. Not bad at all for a 60 year old young guy :D. We have barely over two months before the outing. I work out five days a week so that gives me roughly 40 more workouts before the outing :thumb: It will be here before ya know!

Last edited:
Actually we did not make the trip to DQ as KellyBo mentioned last evening. I did have one beer yesterday which is not bad. ST the funny thing about me is I have loss one size in my waist. My pants are literally falling off without a belt. I can pull them over my hips without unhitching the button etc. So although I am not drastically showing a decrease (down to 214 from 220) my body is changing. KellyBo was going to take a picture of me today, after I returned from the Gym and compare it to two months ago. Battery problems so no pics but I am pretty excited about my strength and firmer body. Not bad at all for a 60 year old young guy :D. We have barely over two months before the outing. I work out five days a week so that gives me roughly 40 more workouts before the outing :thumb: It will be here before ya know!
You trying to turn yourself into a lean mean golfing machine ? :D
Good on ya for all the work , its sounds like its paying off !

Well, no reply in a long while, I've been lazy! lol

Down to 209, feels so nice! I'm only down 2lbs in 2 weeks but the inches are soemthing crazy, my 36 pants I JUST bought are now quite a bit looser, not to mention the new 39 Adidas Golf Belt is already on the last loop! Thats from being on the 3rd from last two weeks ago.

And YAY for large shirts! Its been at least 12 years since I wore a large.

Awesome job Jman!!!!! That's some fantastic results.

Down to 209, feels so nice! I'm only down 2lbs in 2 weeks but the inches are soemthing crazy, my 36 pants I JUST bought are now quite a bit looser, not to mention the new 39 Adidas Golf Belt is already on the last loop! Thats from being on the 3rd from last two weeks ago.

KellyBo was going to take a picture of me today, after I returned from the Gym and compare it to three months ago.

Just make sure Brett Favre isnt the photographer :D

Great report Jman! It really is about more than the number on the scale. I love your "belt" scale! Congrats and keep it up

The say "size" is what counts buddy :D. My pants are getting loose and my tummy firmer. Instead of carrying a six pack of Miller Lite, it will be a six pack of abs :bananadance:. Jman good stuff buddy. Off to the gym for an hour or so.

I admire you guys. I have yet to drag my self to a gym. Despite a downward slope of 'feelign' towards my appearance.

I'm glad that I discovered this thread. I've been "meaning" to lose weight for most of this past year and have just been gaining instead.
After gaining 6 pounds in the previous two weeks, I've decided that enough is enough. I'm cutting out most of my Dr. Peppers, eating fruit for snacks and trying to cut down on all the big meals I've been having. Also, I dusted off the elliptical and got on it Monday night for the first time in close to two years.
Hopefully I can make some progress and even start walking a few holes with my new stand bag once my back starts feeling better.
Now that I've found this thread, I'm going to do my best to lose 15 pounds even though I'm getting a rather late start.

I'm glad that I discovered this thread. I've been "meaning" to lose weight for most of this past year and have just been gaining instead.
After gaining 6 pounds in the previous two weeks, I've decided that enough is enough. I'm cutting out most of my Dr. Peppers, eating fruit for snacks and trying to cut down on all the big meals I've been having. Also, I dusted off the elliptical and got on it Monday night for the first time in close to two years.
Hopefully I can make some progress and even start walking a few holes with my new stand bag once my back starts feeling better.
Now that I've found this thread, I'm going to do my best to lose 15 pounds even though I'm getting a rather late start.

Congrats on taking the first step on losing weight and welcome to the thread! Let us know how things go

So I ate nothing but chocolate, candy, BBQ and wings for about 4 days straight and gained 2 lbs. To be honest I am shocked that's all I gained. But I have been working hard at the gym and already lost 1 of those lbs. I knew the party would come to an end but it was tasty while it lasted but now it feels good to be eating healthy again.

So I ate nothing but chocolate, candy, BBQ and wings for about 4 days straight and gained 2 lbs. To be honest I am shocked that's all I gained. But I have been working hard at the gym and already lost 1 of those lbs. I knew the party would come to an end but it was tasty while it lasted but now it feels good to be eating healthy again.

you need to do that once a week! Shock your body

you need to do that once a week! Shock your body

Oh it shocked my body alright. I felt like crap for a few days after and then I got back into the gym and struggled big time with the running. But I have a very intense workout today and my arms and legs feel like jello. I did learn something interesting. Because I am doing so much training that uses my own body weight as resistance when I use the machines I have to challenge myself more just to feel a hint of soreness.

Because I am doing so much training that uses my own body weight as resistance when I use the machines I have to challenge myself more just to feel a hint of soreness.

Soreness is a good thing.

What type of foods are you all eating? What kind of workouts, just curious. I've found that eating 6 small meals a day has helped my waistline tremendously. It also helps to get copius amount of protein. So far I've lost 12 lbs in about 4 weeks.

I weighed myself this morning and I am 10 lbs lighter than when we started this. That outs me half way to my goal and only a couple pounds to get sub 200 for the first time in over a year. I have been working on improving my diet, but I need to put a more concerted effort into working out if I am going to shed these next 10 lbs. Great job to all! I know I don't post in this thread a bunch, but I read about you progress and it inspires me to be better.

Back