Tips on walking a course?

There isn't much more to add, Thainer said it best, know where to put your bag so you can quickly grab and go after you putt out. That and good shoes is all you need. I walk every week and prefer it, especially since our Men's Day plays so got-dam slow anyway, I'd be going even more crazy sitting in a cart that long.

I walk most of the time as well. I agree with what Beowulf said about letting your heart rate get back down a little before making the next shot. It'll screw up your round if you don't take your time a little. I'm not talking about waiting 5 minutes after you get to your ball to hit it, but just take a few deep breaths when you get there and you'll be fine. Other than that, take out any items in your golf bag that aren't necessary. I have two bags, one for walking and one for riding. If I tried to walk with my riding bag, I would kill myself with all the extra crap I have in there.

I agree with the previous posts, take everything out of the bag that you don't absolutely need, stay hydrated, have plenty of snacks, get a great pair of shoes and buy the absolutely lightest stand bag you can find. I know some people who carry half of their clubs one round and the other half the next time.

Last edited:
Personally I think the special underwear and special socks are overrated, and I never ever ride(except for certain unfortunate occasions). You play football, you know what garments work well or well enough under schwetty pressure.

Do you have a stand bag or a cart bag? If so, the stand bag is the first thing you would need

Lots of great info here!

IMO – you’ll enjoy the course more if you walk. Nothing like paying top dollar to play a beautiful course only to have it whizzing by while riding in a cart.

On that note - comfy shoes are a must. If you’re going to walk 5+ miles, your feet will thank you for the comfort. Don’t be so quick to dismiss a push cart – probably one of the best investments I’ve made. I purchased a ClicGear and if you get it on the cart path and it pretty much drives itself.

Lots of good advice here so far. I walk everytime and only take a cart if its a cart only course so my thoughts for what its worth. Good comfortable golf shoes, I like Nike or Adidas but I'm sure there are many others. Push cart, for the love of the Hawt list, a push cart, if you're carrying it just makes it a longer haul. Drink lots of water and have fun.

I agree with the previous posts, take everything out of the bag that you don't absolutely need, stay hydrated, have plenty of snacks, get a great pair of shoes and buy the absolutely lightest stand bag you can find. I know some people who carry half of their clubs one round and the other half the next time.

I will disagree about the lightest stand bag that you can find.
A light stand bag weighs 3 1/2 lbs
A "heavy" standbag weighs 6 lbs.

My standbag weighs 28 lbs fully loaded. I challenge anyone to be able to feel the difference between a 25# bag and a 28 1/2# bag.

I didn't read all the responses so these may have been mentioned. Here are my thoughts (I used to walk quite a bit).

Good shoes. Nothing stiff and/or heavy. Leave the fashion behind and go for comfort. The Nike athletic style golf shoes always worked out for me the best. Good stability and made for comfort.

Keep the bag light. If it is a clear day, don't take an umbrella or the rain gear. Watch all the 'extas' in the bag and leave some in the car if you can. Only keep a certain amount of balls in your bag. 6-8 balls in the bag, 1 in play, 1 in pocket, should be good enough.

Beverages. Take a good water bottle with you. Most good carry bags now have a spot to put a pretty good size bottle. it will add some weight, but you can always carry it if it bothers you. Keep it full at every opportunity.

Watch where you have opportunities to not carry the bag. If you can set the bag down out of the way to walk 50 yards back to a tee box, do it. I used to walk a course where 16 was a par 5 and the last 100 yards was uphill. 17 was a par 3 back down the hill. After a while you figured out what you need for 17 and to finish 16, then leave the bag at the bottom of the hill between the two fairways.

If your going to be second, third, or fourth to play a shot, get to you ball as soon as possible (as long as you're not in the way) so you have a chance to catch your breath. One of the great things about walking is that you are not dependant on someone else. Get to your ball, figure out what you want to do while the other guys are playing. If you were the first or second to hit, start moving to the green (again, as long as you are not in the way) so when everyone is done you are well ahead and can catch your breath before the next shot.

Looks like pretty much everything has been covered (hydration, good shoes, bag placing strategy, lean bag, etc.). I love walking because I tend to concentrate more on my upcoming shot during the stroll and end up with better results most of the time. Just keep your head clear and enjoy the landscape as you walk from shot to shot.

I have to laugh at everyone's comments about 6-8 balls. I usually add another 50% to that for 9 holes, and 100% for 18 holes haha.
I also agree with RxGus about 'lightweight' bags.. get one that is WELL built. My Ogio was like $140 or something, but it just feels solid and can handle almost anything I throw at it. Also, try to balance your bag. Don't just throw everything at the bottom - that will absolutely screw you over. Try and distribute weight as much as you can so your shoulders are evenly loaded.

And at the risk of sounding like Mr Obvious, wait until your partners have shot before you pick your bag up and start walking. The clinking can get pretty loud at times.

I will disagree about the lightest stand bag that you can find.
A light stand bag weighs 3 1/2 lbs
A "heavy" standbag weighs 6 lbs.

My standbag weighs 28 lbs fully loaded. I challenge anyone to be able to feel the difference between a 25# bag and a 28 1/2# bag.

I could beg to differ. After 18 holes you will notice a difference of 3 plus pounds. I do a lot of backpacking. Making your bag a light as possible is a key. It reduces fatigue and if you walk on a hilly course, it can make a big difference.

I may take a bit of heat from some by saying this but here goes. Don't rush your shots. Not in the normal sense of rushing, but be aware that your heart rate will be different after walking 250+ yards after a tee shot. Give yourself time to relax it back down. I realize that you are young and this may not be noticeable to you, but it can and does effect your swing. My home course is somewhat hilly (its name is geneva hills) and it increases my HR very much. This can also very much affect putting.

You won't get heat from me. I'm 38, in good shape, workout 3-4 times a week and can still feel my heart beating fast when I get to the green. I finally realized towards the end of last summer that this was causing some of my putting woes and started focusing on taking a few deep breaths to slow things down before the shot - especially touch shots such as chips and putts.

All the other advice is important too, good shoes, hydration, push cart. My opinion, the heart rate is the biggest "risk" to your game in making the switch.

I could beg to differ. After 18 holes you will notice a difference of 3 plus pounds. I do a lot of backpacking. Making your bag a light as possible is a key. It reduces fatigue and if you walk on a hilly course, it can make a big difference.

I guess I just disagree then. I remove all the "extra" junk to reduce weight, but I would rather have a sturdy bag than an ultralite and honestly, i don't notice the weight difference.

I carry on some pretty hilly courses and have never had problems walking 18. I will say that I am in shape, and backpacked a ton back in the day. 28# is light!

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

LOL. I know. I want some Countours. My friend got some, and they are sweet, but I cannot bring my self to sink a paycheck into one item.

You have to get new shoes. If your feet hurt your not a happy camper. I have seen contours on sale for $59.00. If you cant swing that you better get a new job.

PS: you will walk about 4-6 miles depending on the length of your course. that's a long way on bad shoes !!

I guess I just disagree then. I remove all the "extra" junk to reduce weight, but I would rather have a sturdy bag than an ultralite and honestly, i don't notice the weight difference.

I carry on some pretty hilly courses and have never had problems walking 18. I will say that I am in shape, and backpacked a ton back in the day. 28# is light!

I do agree with a sturdy bag.

Not to get off topic, but a 28lb backpack is heavy to me. I try to carry a sub 20lb pack when I hike. It makes life so great.

Not to get off topic, but a 28lb backpack is heavy to me. I try to carry a sub 20lb pack when I hike. It makes life so great.

I've heard that you generally aren't supposed to carry more than 10% of your body weight.
(that makes me hugely hypocritical since my bag is easily 28-30lbs when fully kitted out for 18 holes.

He's 17. Sheesh. Just go walk it.

Kevin

Kevin

Hehehehe damn walkers and all their questions.

Tapatalk: even for walkers

Kevin

lol.....I agree. It's like walking on a golf course is some sort of alien thing.

Agree. There's something criminal in never walking a course before. I understand that some courses are not set up to be walked. I also understand that some on here ride due to health reasons and what not. I think walking a golf course is one of the more pleasurable things about the game. You get to be on some of the most beautifully maintained land around without a care in the world. My advice is to walk. Keep walking. Take it all in. Enjoy the experience of walking the course and learn about the subtle nuances of the terrain that aren't so apparent when you are zooming down the fairway in a cart.

Typically I play better when I walk because it allows me to be alone in my thoughts. I focus more.

I guess, plain and simple, I don't like cart golf at all. If you are able to walk a course I think you should.

Final tip: play ready golf.

Off topic:
Where do you go that you can get under 20?

Tent, stove, fuel, food, sleeping bag, water, water filter- adds up wicked fast. I consider myself a pretty skilled backpacker and never got less than 25#. Most of my longer trips 5-10 days end up in the 45# range.

Just to make this on topic:
I 100% agree with everyone saying shoes. Nothing will kill your feet faster!

Oh, one more piece of advice. Always have a phone nearby or someone within shouting distance (preferably with a cart). There are the occasional moments when an errant shot may come your direction and it always helps to have someone nearby that can drive you to the clubhouse to patch yourself up. I learned that tip the hard way.

shoes, bag, cart.

I have a pair of Adidas Powerband Sport shoes that are real comfortable to walk in.
adidas-powerband-sport-model-737196-8-golf-shoes.jpg

I use this Nike Bag which is their lightest
nikextremeelement(4).jpg

Also have this cart for when I don't carry
41RKPYB%2BZ0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

17 or not....Walking 5-6 miles carrying a golf bag of any weight can be tough if you're not accustomed to it....Good shoes and hydration...Also try to ease into walking 18...Try riding the front 9, then walking the back 9 for several rounds (if the course allows it)..Then reverse the order for several rounds...Then use a push cart the first few times you walk all 18...Then carry....Work up to it....And good luck....

Back