Tips on walking a course?

Learn where to put your bag so you can get it on the way to the next tee. Nothing worse than seeing someone putt out and walk in the completely other direction to go back to their bag then walk back across the green to go to the next tee. I usually forget this the first couple times out.

That's one of the biggest complaints I have about cart riders! Park at the back of the green if that's the way the cart path goes. So many groups park in front or to the side even though they have to drive around to the back of the green on the way to the next hole.

Are you going to carry? If youre so used to riding I would recommend a pull cart.
Dont give up too much support. The support is necessary.

Even better, a push cart.

LOL. I know. I want some Countours. My friend got some, and they are sweet, but I cannot bring my self to sink a paycheck into one item.

I spent 5 years worth of checks on one item (it's inevitable)! As for walking, make sure to care plenty of fluids, I drink about a 2 liter of water every 9 I walk. Also, avoid Gatorade - The sugar content always make me feel more thirsty when I'm parched. Don't be afraid to take a quick break, I sat under a tree one day for 15 or so minutes waiting for my 2nd wind, and ALWAYS have an umbrella.

Tap before talk.

He's 17. Sheesh. Just go walk it.

Kevin

Hahaha. I walked and carried until I was 21 and at my first full time job out of college and could afford to get a cart. Had a regular bag too; no stand bag. Didn't have the extra money for a cart when I was in school.

This is exactly the advice I was going to give as well. As someone who enjoys walking shorter courses when I play them, a comfy pair of shoes will do wonders. I had a pair of shoes that I bought without thinking about walking comfort, needless to say I had to buy a 2nd pair after paying better attention to walking comfort.

In all honesty aggro, if you plan on walking a lot, you might want to consider investing in some decent golf shoes. I know it's a topic you've mentioned before but you're going to want something that fits well, is light weight, and is comfortable.

Keep some water or fluids to stay hydrated in your bag, and make sure you never, ever place your golf bag on the green.

Having a push cart is the way to go, and its a great investment too :) I just got an umbrella for mine, have used it in the rain and provides excellent shade as well :good:

Off topic:
Where do you go that you can get under 20?

Tent, stove, fuel, food, sleeping bag, water, water filter- adds up wicked fast. I consider myself a pretty skilled backpacker and never got less than 25#. Most of my longer trips 5-10 days end up in the 45# range.

Just to make this on topic:
I 100% agree with everyone saying shoes. Nothing will kill your feet faster!

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

Still off topic:

I use a tarp, alcohol stove, dehydrated food, I don't carry much water, just get it along the way. I like to go as minimal as possible. I think the heaviest thing I carry is food.

Having a push cart is the way to go, and its a great investment too :) I just got an umbrella for mine, have used it in the rain and provides excellent shade as well :good:

+2. Umbrella is a must.

Get a caddy. :smile:

Next thing you'll be playing forged blades and swearing by them :D

As most everyone has mentioned, great shoes are a must. Then I a push cart saves a lot of wear.

Never knew you really needed tips to walk a course? :alien:

I prefer to walk. But it seems like I play better if I have a pull cart and worse if I carry my clubs. So I use a pull cart.

I would say the most important item you would need is a quality, light weight pair of shoes. I stress the light weight part, because your body will be thanking you later!

If you do plan on carrying your bag, I would make sure your bag had a equal-weighted strap, such as a Sun Mountain.
I never carried anything extra that I didn't need also, just because the extra couple of pounds is noticable! I love walking because it puts the course in a whole new perspective in my opinion!

I would say the most important item you would need is a quality, light weight pair of shoes. I stress the light weight part, because your body will be thanking you later!

If you do plan on carrying your bag, I would make sure your bag had a equal-weighted strap, such as a Sun Mountain.
I never carried anything extra that I didn't need also, just because the extra couple of pounds is noticable! I love walking because it puts the course in a whole new perspective in my opinion!

I agree. Good shoes are a must. But for me the weight issue on what I carry is taken care of with the push cart. They are worth every cent.

I carry now and again, I leave anything I can behind. Extra clothes, headcovers, clubs I can't hit reliably, anything over 6 or 8 balls. I carry plenty of water and food though and I make sure I eat it too. Almost any golf shoe is gonna be a great walking shoe and it'll give you better connection=better ball strikes. To me the walking is one of the best parts of the game.
Nowadays I roll, and my bag is like the hallway closet, seems like I'm pushing a wheelbarrel sometimes.

I carry now and again, I leave anything I can behind. Extra clothes, headcovers, clubs I can't hit reliably, anything over 6 or 8 balls. I carry plenty of water and food though and I make sure I eat it too. Almost any golf shoe is gonna be a great walking shoe and it'll give you better connection=better ball strikes. To me the walking is one of the best parts of the game.
Nowadays I roll, and my bag is like the hallway closet, seems like I'm pushing a wheelbarrel sometimes.

+1. Food and water are always a must. When it's hot you should always drink before you get thirsty and eat before you get hungry. Hunger pangs will ruin a round. I get a big 32 oz water bottle and two power bars.

I had to walk in college and there were no push carts allowed. First course I walked was 7140 yards. Get a bag that is light. Get some good shoes and socks. Also where compression shorts so you do not get chaffed and add some powder. Do not take your bag all the way back to the tee box if you are playing the tips. Leave it up further and just carry the club you need. Look for angles to cut like where the green is in relation to the next tee box and so on. The most important part is to have good shoes. I also suggest making sure your bag has the back pack style straps that go across both shoulders. Do not leave the bag hanging low make sure you adjust it properly. I use to walk 27-36 a day at college when I did not have class, we were able to walk the course for free. It was flat so not to bad. You will lose some weight. And make it fun listen to your I pod while walking and try to time your self. I use to try to walk as fast as I could. One last thing pack a snack and take a water bottle.

i have an ultralite bag for walking - its worlds lighter than a stand bag. like everyone else said - bring a water bottle, i like to keep some CLIF bars in my bag. And a bottle of aspirin/ibuprofen if my back starts acting up.

good excercise though. Youll definately want to hit them straighter haha

One of the courses I play at has walkways and bridges they put in just for walkers so they could take shortcuts to the next tee box. Some of them cut off about 100 or more yards from the route the cart path takes.

I may take a bit of heat from some by saying this but here goes. Don't rush your shots. Not in the normal sense of rushing, but be aware that your heart rate will be different after walking 250+ yards after a tee shot. Give yourself time to relax it back down. I realize that you are young and this may not be noticeable to you, but it can and does effect your swing. My home course is somewhat hilly (its name is geneva hills) and it increases my HR very much. This can also very much affect putting.

+1! That is a great comment. I never considered this before!

Agreed on the shoes comment as well. I made the mistake of walking 18 in brand new shoes. OUCH is all I can say.

He's 17, and while I suppose there's no reason to make it harder than it needs to be, he should be able to walk 18 holes. I know aggro had mentioned he's a heavy guy, but he also says he plays football which is certainly harder than walking a golf course. Didn't any of you caddy as a kid? There were some days when I was 13 or 14 where I would carry a bag in the morning if I got out early, then do a second loop in the afternoon. And this was at a country club full of members with big golf bags. I also carried two bags a number of times.

With some decent shoes a 17 year old kid should be able to carry a staff bag and play with no problem. Drink some water while you're out there and you're good to go.

That being said, I never walk now. Too old, too husky, and too lazy. I do, however, walk 18 when following my daughter in tournaments. I don't like it, but I have to do it.

Kevin

+1 on food, water and a push cart.

Also, depending on conditions, I would suggest carrying an extra pair of socks. This has saved me more than once when walking a course that is still soggy after a rain.

I play 100+ rounds a season and ride about seven to ten times (during tournaments), course I'm only 55. As others have said, make sure you stay hydrated...even if you're not thirsty make sure you drink some water every hole...try to stay away from sodas. If you're playing 18 at least have a protein bar or two in your bag. Carry only what you need, and not a lot of extra stuff...that includes too many golf balls. If you can walk in the shade, or if you're waiting on a hole or to take a shot stand in the shade. Wear a hat and put on sunscreen. And, have a comfortable pair of shoes.

It won't be that bad. You're a big strong guy. Most of all...have fun!

Thanks for the advice guys.

So here is what I have gleaned:

Good Shoes
Water
Food Bar
Cut Corners
Keep heart rate under control.
Use Stand bag (my ogio doesn't like uneven ground, and it is only a single strap model.)
Pack light (I ain't skimping on the balls. I dead lift 450 for crying out loud, a few more ounces won't kill me)

What do I do if there is a cart rider behind me? Let him play through?

What do I do if there is a cart rider behind me? Let him play through?

Absolutely.

As a few others have mentioned, part of the joy of walking is enjoying the scenery around you more. Let them play through- what's your hurry?

Back