Your Favorite Golf Destination

Tough to beat Bandon

Tough to beat Bandon

I live close enough to race up in the off season when the weather is good and play for $75 and share a room with a buddy for $80 each. Winter play is interesting because the prevailing winds blow the wrong way meaning long holes play into the wind and visa versa. I have played in everything from sunshine to driving hail (all in the same day) and had just as much fun in both.

The best part about Bandon however is that anyone can play it. Bogey is achievable for a bogey golfer like me but a scratch golfer will need to work for their birdies. There are plenty of tees to choose from and the fairways are so fast and firm that you can be a less than perfect ball striker and still get down the fairway in a reasonable number of strokes, provided you stay out of the bunkers.

The other thing that makes Bandon great are the Amenities. This place was built for the buddy trip with great food, scotch, cigars and rooms made for men.

My favorite is Kiawah Island. It is hard to beat the number of great courses there both public and private. The food is also fantastic.

I live close enough to race up in the off season when the weather is good and play for $75 and share a room with a buddy for $80 each. Winter play is interesting because the prevailing winds blow the wrong way meaning long holes play into the wind and visa versa. I have played in everything from sunshine to driving hail (all in the same day) and had just as much fun in both.

The best part about Bandon however is that anyone can play it. Bogey is achievable for a bogey golfer like me but a scratch golfer will need to work for their birdies. There are plenty of tees to choose from and the fairways are so fast and firm that you can be a less than perfect ball striker and still get down the fairway in a reasonable number of strokes, provided you stay out of the bunkers.

The other thing that makes Bandon great are the Amenities. This place was built for the buddy trip with great food, scotch, cigars and rooms made for men.

Me and some pals were discussing the Bandon option. Thanks for the info!

Myrtle Beach is by far my favorite place to play golf. So many good courses, shops, and stuff for the family to do while you are playing 18.

I've had the opportunity to take a lot of golf destination trips. Had great times and great golf in so many. But the ones that shine through aren't always about the golf, but about the golfers I get paired with. I was single for a long time and would choose to take off for a long weekend by myself and go play golf. Have this system in place where I would check flight times, rates, weather predictions, and top 100 courses I wanted to collect logo balls from.
My top 5... Pinehurst, Pebble, Phoenix, Palm Springs, Atlanta. Each has some special memory that makes me smile in remembering them. Autumn in Atlanta....my God she was beautiful. As I watched my phone sink into lake here in Minnesota, I knew I had now way of ever re-visiting that one.
But guess what, I still think my favorite will be my next one. I always am most excited about where I might go and who I might meet.

Currently thinking that I need Bandon or Bethpage visits.

Try World Woods Golf, about an hour north of Tampa near the end of the Sun Coast Parkway. It is reasonable in season and great rates in the off season May-November. Two courses, a great practice area, good conditioning, and no houses around. The Pine Barrens course is exceptional, among the top courses in the country and Rolling Oaks is a really good course as well. I usually stay at the H I express about 10 miles down the parkway. Or the H I express just off I-75 at exit 301-about 30 minutes. There is another course, Sherman Hills, near that exit as well, it's not bad for the money. There are probably some cheap motels in Brooksville about 15-20 minutes away from WW as well.

Back