Polara Golf Ball Testing Review Thread

Got them today but didn't get a chance to play them. Considering my primary irons are in to get lie adjusted.. And my backup set was missing the 8 iron.. Then the 7 iron shaft snapped Friday.. I figured today wasn't the day for playing.

ad414102-e52c-29bb.jpg

ad414102-e53f-2ec4.jpg

Here are some pics next to a ProV1x to check out the different dimple pattern.
photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

I did a 45 min chipping session with both the 2-piece and the 3-piece. This is the area I was most curious about the balls. Also, I got the balls around 1:30 and the soccer match started at 2:45 or I would have played 18 with them. I hit 10-15 yard pitch shots.

2-piece: The 2-piece reacted just as the other 2-piece balls I took to compare against. They didn't feel as hard as range balls as stated by another reviewer, at least in my opinion. I had no problem dialing in distance with them. By this I mean I didn't feel as if any balls went farther or shorter with the exact same swing. I found it easy to predict the roll out with these balls, which I find to be the most important factor around the green with balls. I prefer a ball that reacts predictably over a ball that bites and stops on a dime sometimes and other times rolls out, and these were very predictable. I hit some lower chips with heavy spin and they reacted just as well as any other 2-piece ball. I also hit some higher softer chips and as I stated before they reacted consistently with the same amount of bite and spin each time. I hit all of these chips by just throwing balls down and hitting them as they were, to simulate in-round where I wouldn't want to pick my ball up and line it up. Found no ill effects from not lining the arrow up for chips. My opinion so far on the 2-piece balls would be, they certainly have comparable greenside reactions to any other good 2-piece balls. If they have the effect the company says and help keep the ball online 70% better than other balls I would recommend anyone that plays a 2-piece ball switch to these balls. I haven't tested them off the tee or approaches yet though, so I don't know if their statements about keeping them online are true yet.

3-piece ball: Did the same with these balls as with the 2-piece balls. They're definitely softer than the 2-piece balls. I wouldn't say they're as soft as ProV1x's that I compared them against, but they felt good. I'm not as militant about having buttery soft balls as some though. Once again these balls reacted consistently, which is what I'm worried about in balls. Not as much bite as the ProV1x's, but I don't foresee them being to hard to stop if needed.

All in all, for the 10-15 yard greenside chipping/pitching game these balls worked very comparably with their more well known counterparts. If they do as they are supposed to and really keep it online, I don't see why anyone who's just looking to have some fun playing with buddies and not worried about their handicap wouldn't play these. So far I'm impressed by them. After hitting off the tee and playing approaches my opinion might change though.

On a side note, the packaging is very sub-par to me. The sleeves the balls come in just look like cheap balls. Very mediocre graphics and fonts. This is definitely being very critical, but I feel as a tester I should look at every aspect of them.

I'm going to try and play 18 tomorrow and then I'll be back with more insight. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'll answer them to best of my ability.

Thanks again to THP and Polara for the opportunity to test these out.

Here are some pics next to a ProV1x to check out the different dimple pattern.
photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

I did a 45 min chipping session with both the 2-piece and the 3-piece. This is the area I was most curious about the balls. Also, I got the balls around 1:30 and the soccer match started at 2:45 or I would have played 18 with them. I hit 10-15 yard pitch shots.

2-piece: The 2-piece reacted just as the other 2-piece balls I took to compare against. They didn't feel as hard as range balls as stated by another reviewer, at least in my opinion. I had no problem dialing in distance with them. By this I mean I didn't feel as if any balls went farther or shorter with the exact same swing. I found it easy to predict the roll out with these balls, which I find to be the most important factor around the green with balls. I prefer a ball that reacts predictably over a ball that bites and stops on a dime sometimes and other times rolls out, and these were very predictable. I hit some lower chips with heavy spin and they reacted just as well as any other 2-piece ball. I also hit some higher softer chips and as I stated before they reacted consistently with the same amount of bite and spin each time. I hit all of these chips by just throwing balls down and hitting them as they were, to simulate in-round where I wouldn't want to pick my ball up and line it up. Found no ill effects from not lining the arrow up for chips. My opinion so far on the 2-piece balls would be, they certainly have comparable greenside reactions to any other good 2-piece balls. If they have the effect the company says and help keep the ball online 70% better than other balls I would recommend anyone that plays a 2-piece ball switch to these balls. I haven't tested them off the tee or approaches yet though, so I don't know if their statements about keeping them online are true yet.

3-piece ball: Did the same with these balls as with the 2-piece balls. They're definitely softer than the 2-piece balls. I wouldn't say they're as soft as ProV1x's that I compared them against, but they felt good. I'm not as militant about having buttery soft balls as some though. Once again these balls reacted consistently, which is what I'm worried about in balls. Not as much bite as the ProV1x's, but I don't foresee them being to hard to stop if needed.

All in all, for the 10-15 yard greenside chipping/pitching game these balls worked very comparably with their more well known counterparts. If they do as they are supposed to and really keep it online, I don't see why anyone who's just looking to have some fun playing with buddies and not worried about their handicap wouldn't play these. So far I'm impressed by them. After hitting off the tee and playing approaches my opinion might change though.

On a side note, the packaging is very sub-par to me. The sleeves the balls come in just look like cheap balls. Very mediocre graphics and fonts. This is definitely being very critical, but I feel as a tester I should look at every aspect of them.

I'm going to try and play 18 tomorrow and then I'll be back with more insight. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'll answer them to best of my ability.

Wash your balls man! :D

Stellar review! Great read.

I enjoyed your review F2G . Keep up the good stuff man :thumb:

Would a high launch shaft help as well?

I think the more air you get under these balls, the better. I think the loss of driver distance may balance out for the serious slicers and hookers. If your ball is going off line by 40 yards and that gets reduced to 25 yards I would think that you would actually come out with a net distance gain. Or I am as crazy as your avatar? :D

Wow, that was some superfast shipping :good:

Just good luck there. Ordered THP poker chips and golf towel on Friday and the fabulous Golfer Gal was able to add the test balls to my order! Worked out well.

Good write ups guys, I won't get to play mine until next week and then I will be reporting in.

Got my balls today! I have a sim lesson on Saturday but I'm anxious to try them out so I may head to the place where I practice putting and chipping to try them out. Thanks THP!

Chapter 2 of test round number one, but first a disclaimer: DISCLAIMER: Course conditions yesterday for my testing certainly had an impact on my test results. I can't remember the last time I played that we didn't have some water on the course. First it was melting snow and lately it has been rain, rain, and more rain. That means the greens were very receptive to approach shots especially when using sand and lob wedges. I'm sure other testers may have different results when playing firmer greens.

Again, made the turn at even par and was a little disappointed that I was also making a ball change. Taking the XS out of play and was now going to tee off number one with the Ultimate Staright which is a 2 piece ball. Already talked about driver results in other posts and needless to say I stepped up on number one and teed off with my driver. The thought was maybe the 2 piece ball would provide more driver distance than the XS. Not true. This ball needs air off the tee under it with the driver and I just don't have it.

No problem finding another fairway. That makes me 8 for 8 so far today. Had to lay up again as I'm too far back on this opening par 5 to reach the green. Third shot into the green was with my 60* wedge, over a bunker to a tight right front pin position from 86 yards. Ball stopped within a foot of the ball mark and left me with a 8 foot birdie putt that I pulled. Used a 3 wood off number 2 and again, another fairway. Hit a 56* for my second to #2 and spun the ball back from it's ball mark 8 feet which left me a 21 foot birdie putt that I left a little short. Please remember the disclaimer as to how receptive the greens were.

To try to keep my first review after playing the Polara balls to less than 10,000 words I'll skip tthe hole by hole play back and move on to the highlights. Only had one birdie on the front which was on #5. It's a par 5, 559 yards to a green that is 360 square feet. Can be a little target if you're not hitting the ball well. Hit a choke down pitching wedge to 13 feet and made the putt. Hit 14 of 14 fairways.

Yes, I used a 3 wood on a couple of holes and hit a few hybrids on the shorter par 4's. The Polara balls played about the same as the Z Star I normally use when using those clubs. Remember, off the tee these balls love loft. Off the irons the XS had about the same trajectory as the Z Stars. The Ultimate Straight flew a little lower. Playing the ball down I hit 7 GIR's. For my round I had a total of 9 one putts. Did not have any issues chipping or pitching with either ball and putted well with both. They are both "clicky" balls coming off the putter face but the sound doesn't effect thier performance. I'll be very interested to read about the experience of others, especially those who don't have soft greens right now.

My biggest disaapointment was my final score. The lowest posted score I have at the club is a 76 that I shot in match play against the defending club champion last year. We can only post scores from March 1st through October as GHIN classifies Kentucky as a seasonal state. Was fortunate enough to shoot 74 twice before the end of 2010 at the club. Yesterday, playing in 12-15 mph winds, standing water in some areas of the course and using balls that don't have the same material make up that I normally play and while in testing mode, I shot 75. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Hit a 3 wood off number 9 which is a short par 4, only 345 yards. Probably the flatest hole on the course, ball lands almost dead center in the fairway and the stops dead in a puddle standing water leaving me 114 to a back left pin.

Obviously not thinking clearly I decide to play the ball from where it is, didn't even think of taking relief from casual water. Hit a pitching wedge and lost all energy transfer in the pool of water. Left me about 30 yards from the flag. Took pitching wedge again to hit a little pitch and run and the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do. Rolled just right of the pin, 5 feet below the hole. Yep, you guessed it, missed the 5 footer. The good news is that I still have all 12 balls and will be able to continue testing on Friday and who knows, maybe I'll post my personal best at the club with a Polara ball, who woulda thunk it?. Rain here again today and tomorrow is making me miserable.

After round one testing I can say that even with super soft greens I believe that the Polara balls performed as marketed. I will get goofy with these and see if I can get one to go sideways on another test day. I would be very surprised if any of the testers would give either of these balls a failing mark. Yes, they are harder than a Pro V1 or Z Star or any other ball with a urethane cover. Yes, they are clicky sounding. Yes, they look a little odd due to the dimple patterns. No, they don't have the greenside manners tour balls have. They weren't advertised as having any of those characteristics though. The question really is, do they perform as advertised? My final answer after round one is they most certainly do and I'm looking forward to my round 2 testing.

Came home from work to a package of balls from THP:D. First impression after opening it is the packaging looks cheap, i know its just what the balls come in and the performance is the only thing that matters but just wanted to mention it. These balls really have a unique dimple pattern, along the arrow and the width of the Polara stamp its bigger dimples, and then to the left and right on the side the dimples are smaller and there are allot more bunched together, this is with the ball lined up like it would be on the tee box, arrow down the fairway.

The Ultimate Straight 2 piece feels a little hard in hand but that can be expected with that type of cover and a 2 piece ball, its not range ball hard but just harder than i am use to.

The Ultimate StraightXS 3 piece feels a little softer in hand compared to the 2 piece, im not sure if that is my mind playing a trick on me or not cause i think the cover material is the same on both, (ionomer).

Will add more tonight after i get to chip and putt some with them.
View attachment 2117

Maybe the Postman will ring twice tonight. Got a round tomorrow on a very tight course and being a little straighter never hurt. Looking forward to this.

Some great reads so far. I have quite a bit of catching up to do on reading these posts, but not sure I want those in my head before my own testing. Mine should be here soon, so good luck everyone, I'll play catch up a bit later.

the Polara came in today very interesting looking ball , ground is still soaked probably wont be able to play them for a couple of days hopefully

Balls arrived today. Dumping rain out now but will be using them Sunday rain or shine.

Got mine today. Unfortunately, it has rained like 5 inches since yesterday.

balls came in today however the temp has dropped about 20 degrees and has been windy all day... 35 degs now and may get snow tonight. This after 60 degree weather tuesday.... Only in St. Louis. Will be taking the balls out on saturday and sunday.

Human nature works against us sometimes. No matter how open minded I thought I was or would be, especially for my first round of testing the Polara balls I failed. I made a decision long before I even left the house as to what ball I would play on the front 9 and which I would play on the front side. My decison was based on prejudice so I wasn't really being open minded.

So I was biased about the 2 balls before I ever put one in play. Got to do better about keeping an open mind.

No offense, but why so worried about "bias / predjudice / open mind"? This isn't a blind test as was done in the past, with blank balls / package / etc.

I think all of your feedback is very valid and useful, whether you were biased or not. So far, my best round with hitting fairways was something like 58%. I can't imagine how I'd do if I hit 100%, even with a loss of distance. I'm really curious to try these balls out. I'll probably give them one go around just playing normally, then, depending on those results, really try to whack them around and force a hook.

Last edited:
In my mailbox today I found a dozen Polara golf balls. I immediately tore the package open and took these down to my basement where I still have the Boomerang Putting Professional setup. These don't have the best feel off the putter, a little hard feeling, think TopFlight XL or something. But they're not claiming to be the best putting golf ball on earth, just the straightest. I'll give details as soon as I can get a round in with them.

IMG_20110309_172503.jpg

IMG_20110309_172521.jpg

IMG_20110309_172545.jpg

In my mailbox today I found a dozen Polara golf balls. I immediately tore the package open and took these down to my basement where I still have the Boomerang Putting Professional setup. These don't have the best feel off the putter, a little hard feeling, think TopFlight XL or something. But they're not claiming to be the best putting golf ball on earth, just the straightest. I'll give details as soon as I can get a round in with them.

Jake, you gonna try these at Aviara?

Polara on Aviara.....sounds good together...no?

After putting with these a little bit i can tell you that they do feel a little harsh off the putter, thats to be expected with these though with what the cover is made from and being a 2 piece ball, the 3 piece ball feels about the same, maybe a tad softer. Ill be getting to the course tomorrow to test these out on the chipping/putting green. Ill update back with my findings.

No offense, but why so worried about "bias / predjudice / open mind"? This isn't a blind test as was done in the past, with blank balls / package / etc.

I think all of your feedback is very valid and useful, whether you were biased or not. So far, my best GIR is something like 58%. I can't imagine how I'd do if I hit 100%, even with a loss of distance. I'm really curious to try these balls out. I'll probably give them one go around just playing normally, then, depending on those results, really try to whack them around and force a hook.

No offense taken, appreciate your feedback. The open mind was more for me. Didn't want to go into testing mode being prejudiced or thinking negative thoughts. "Crap, I get picked to test balls and this is what they send me? Can't wait to try out these 2 piece rocks. Probably have as much fun hitting range balls". Things like that. Wanted to be objective and I think I managed to do that so far.

I got my Polara golf balls in today and the rest of the week looks good in Georgia. Guess what I will be doing, checking out these on the course.

DSCF7918.jpg

Just received my balls today.

-Thank You to Polara for this opportunity.
-Thank You to THP for shipping these lighting fast and for giving me all #3s and #4s! (don't ask me why, but those are my favorite numbers)

Looking forward to introducing these to my 6-iron. Worst club in my bag. If any club can sell the performance of these, my 6 can.

Working on a draft of Part One of my review (visual, feel, etc.). Will post full review after Part Two (actual use).

Nice reviews guys!! Hoping mine show up soon so i can get on with testing as well. Very interesting ball to say the least.

I said to heck with it and hit some wedges anyway.

Not my favorites. Feel pretty hard. Launch pretty high, like a traditional surlyn cover.

I don't like the packaging either, on a shallow note. Looks... bland.

Back