Looking for some thoughts/advice

JRamz

Rippin' and a tearin'
Reaction score
Handicap
As I have stated a few times recently I have currently been on a crusade to lower my launch and spin with my driver. I have come up with two possible options (more suggestions are welcome) and I would like to get the thoughts of my fellow THP'ers.

I've found some one selling the Taylormade TP Aldila Voodoo NV6 shafts for $100. This shaft compared to my Fubuki has a slightly higher kick point and should lower my launch some. I have never hit this shaft though and I find purchasing golf equipment online a little sketchy.

Also I am considering getting a Graffaloy Pro Launch Red. I've always heard good things about this shaft and I am intrigued by the High kick point. But again I have not hit this shaft either.

So that's where I am turning to you guys. Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions would be much appreciated.

One of the easiest ways to do this is with the golf ball. Have you been fit for a golf ball?

The Graffaloy would be a good cheap choice to try out a lower launching shaft for sure if you just wanna try it, have you seen your numbers with your current set up?

One of the easiest ways to do this is with the golf ball. Have you been fit for a golf ball?

I have. I even chatted with the guys at Bridgestone online and naturally the recommended the e7 which I have played some in the past and I will be trying again in the near future. It was great out of the tee box but I prefer the NXT Tour around the greens. So if I can bring my spin down another way and continue playing the NXT Tour that would be ideal.

The Graffaloy would be a good cheap choice to try out a lower launching shaft for sure if you just wanna try it, have you seen your numbers with your current set up?

That was my thoughts exactly. Unfortunately I don't have $200-$300 to spend so the Pro Launch Red seemed like a nice option.

Here's my numbers with my current setup give or take.

Club speed: 105-107
Ball speed: 150ish
Launch: 15 degrees
Spin: 3300-3500
Distance: 280-300 yards

well, I would say to only buy something for a price you feel you can re sell it for if you need to, or just be willing to take some sort of a loss. But, if you find the right shaft then it may be worth losing some money.

I have. I even chatted with the guys at Bridgestone online and naturally the recommended the e7 which I have played some in the past and I will be trying again in the near future. It was great out of the tee box but I prefer the NXT Tour around the greens. So if I can bring my spin down another way and continue playing the NXT Tour that would be ideal.

Which is ironic considering both balls makeup being multilayer and covers that seem to both be very similar surlyn. But different strokes for different folks of course.

well, I would say to only buy something for a price you feel you can re sell it for if you need to, or just be willing to take some sort of a loss. But, if you find the right shaft then it may be worth losing some money.

Good points One-T but you have to have the money to spend to begin with. Haha!

That was my thoughts exactly. Unfortunately I don't have $200-$300 to spend so the Pro Launch Red seemed like a nice option.

Here's my numbers with my current setup give or take.

Club speed: 105-107
Ball speed: 150ish
Launch: 15 degrees
Spin: 3300-3500
Distance: 280-300 yards

With those numbers I'm not sure I would want to change anything.

Good points One-T but you have to have the money to spend to begin with. Haha!

very good point! But, I bet if you bought the voodoo and didnt like it that you could get something back

Which is ironic considering both balls makeup being multilayer and covers that seem to both be very similar surlyn. But different strokes for different folks of course.

Very true. I just found for me the NXT Tour checked much easier on the green and I got more roll out with the e7. But I am going to give it another go. If I have to just play for more roll I guess there's worse things to deal with.

I would not freaking change ONE thing. Getting 300 yards of distance with a SS at 105-107 is awesome. My SS is roughly the same thing maybe a few mphs slower and I am no where near that with very similar numbers at the rest of it.

So I would say do not change a thing.

very good point! But, I bet if you bought the voodoo and didnt like it that you could get something back

I actually felt the Voodoo was a great deal. I am just cautious of online purchases. With counterfits and all.

I was about to say the same, those are pretty good number. Not sure I would want to change much, but you never know. IMO I would give the PL Red a shot, worse case you still have an extra tip and can try other shafts pretty easily afterwards and you're not out much money either. Another line of shafts to look at are the Arthur Xcalibur shafts, they've peaked my curiosity quite a bit. (I'm on a budget as well JRamz)

I would not freaking change ONE thing. Getting 300 yards of distance with a SS at 105-107 is awesome. My SS is roughly the same thing maybe a few mphs slower and I am no where near that with very similar numbers at the rest of it.

So I would say do not change a thing.

Believe me I am not complaining about the distance. I just feel sometimes my ball gets way too high and on a windy day is murder.

I was about to say the same, those are pretty good number. Not sure I would want to change much, but you never know. IMO I would give the PL Red a shot, worse case you still have an extra tip and can try other shafts pretty easily afterwards and you're not out much money either. Another line of shafts to look at are the Arthur Xcalibur shafts, they've peaked my curiosity quite a bit. (I'm on a budget as well JRamz)

I've not heard anything about those shafts but I will check them out. That's the nice thing about the R9's and 11. If I try the PL Red and it doesn't work out I can easily pop the Fubuki back in.

Believe me I am not complaining about the distance. I just feel sometimes my ball gets way too high and on a windy day is murder.

That may be, but keep in mind you are coming close to defying physics here unless you are getting insane amounts of roll. Tour distance with a SS close to 10 mph less than the tour average is incredible. CHanging that could mean a lot of things change.

I've not heard anything about those shafts but I will check them out. That's the nice thing about the R9's and 11. If I try the PL Red and it doesn't work out I can easily pop the Fubuki back in.

Exactly, I just got the superdeep with a Matrix HD 6 over the winter and saw great numbers with it, I had an unused graffaloy Epic lying around and I'm gonna try out just for fun, you never know what can happen.

That may be, but keep in mind you are coming close to defying physics here unless you are getting insane amounts of roll. Tour distance with a SS close to 10 mph less than the tour average is incredible. CHanging that could mean a lot of things change.

True. I am not sure where it comes from. I'm a tall guy 6'6" with pretty long arms. Maybe it comes from the large arch I can create? Either way again if I try something and it doesn't work out I can always through the Fubuki back in.

I will trade you my 10-11* launch angle for you 15*.

True. I am not sure where it comes from. I'm a tall guy 6'6" with pretty long arms. Maybe it comes from the large arch I can create? Either way again if I try something and it doesn't work out I can always through the Fubuki back in.

Yes but taht would increase all the numbers, not just distance.

I was just looking at the PL Red on Grafalloys website. They have the standard PL Red and now a PL Red Axis. Can anyone elaborate what the difference is between the two? I can see the Axis has a slightly higher torque. They also have alot of technical jargon explaining the Axis that is over my head.

The Axis tech is how the graphite is woven for the shaft. Previously people have refered to the PL Red as like swinging a 2x4. To stop those complaints they went with the Axis tech which lets them put more torque in the shaft for improved feel but keep the same launch characteristics.

Edit:
I would also, not kill, but maim for those numbers. I generally hit 108-110 with the driver and top out at 260

The Axis tech is how the graphite is woven for the shaft. Previously people have refered to the PL Red as like swinging a 2x4. To stop those complaints they went with the Axis tech which lets them put more torque in the shaft for improved feel but keep the same launch characteristics.

Edit:
I would also, not kill, but maim for those numbers. I generally hit 108-110 with the driver and top out at 260

Thanks for the clarification Tuna. Your explanation makes much more sense to me.

Yeah I definitely don't have a problem with the distance I am getting I just feel I hit the ball way too high. Which when the wind is relatively calm isn't an issue but if I am hitting into a head wind I am FUBAR'ed.

Back