Has Golf ever become boring?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Simple question.

There was a time, for a few years, that I didn't want to play. Got the shanks or something. Just didn't care for a long time.

Dang for a few years huh? Ive never gone through a slump that dramatic but yeah I know the feeling your talking about. I would say my longest was only like a three week run, which is an eternity for me.

Last year at the end of the year. I started hitting the ball so badly I had no motivation to play anymore. Sometimes it's good to take a break. Only way it should be boring is if you shoot 59 every day for 18. It's a different challenge everyday for me.

What is worse, I am only a teen still, so for me that was a LONG time.

Dang for a few years huh? Ive never gone through a slump that dramatic but yeah I know the feeling your talking about. I would say my longest was only like a three week run, which is an eternity for me.

I've never quit because it got boring, but I haven't played since Feb 2nd, because I'm waiting for my new clubs. Just don't want to play the old ones anymore.lol

Yes. Every year there is a lull. I take the time to go fishing, shooting, working around the house, or other projects.

the very beginning of spring time when the course is packed to the gills and a round can last 6 hrs... its not the play thats boring... its the 3 hrs of waiting
that and when i cant get the ball off the ground... those rounds get boring when im over being angry about it

Never has golf become boring to me. It's what has made me addicted to the game and getting better. Most other sports came to me easily which in turn caused me to lose interest and try something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It gets boring to me from time to time. I play 99% of my rounds as a single and at the same course. With the new job, and slightly better income, I hope to play different courses much more often. It's always fun to me playing somewhere new.

I've played for 35 years and never taken any time off. I play in two leagues and play in skins on Saturday and Sunday. Normally play with the wife on Sunday, Monday and Friday evenings and with the league guys on Wednesday evening.
For me it is about more than just playing. Most of us that play together have been doing so for years and years and it is just a big part of my life. it is about friendships.

This game never gets boring to me. There's always something I can be working on. In fact, I can't get enough of it.

No not really. What gets boring for me are golf magazines (Except for THP the Magazine) I used to love the golf tips and equipment sections but now it seems the golf tips are always the same or just another variation and the equipment stuff is boring because either I've already read about it or talked about it here. Or I've even hit it already so when I see reviews that are completely different from what I experienced it makes me wonder

Golf was always pretty boring to me until last year. I could take it or leave it. I think it was because I was so busy with so many things in my life that it just wasn't a priority at all. After retirement, I found myself having more and more free time so it just kind of snuck up on me. I'm hooked in a major way now.

It gets boring to me from time to time. I play 99% of my rounds as a single and at the same course. With the new job, and slightly better income, I hope to play different courses much more often. It's always fun to me playing somewhere new.

playing somewhere new is always fun

I wouldn't say it's ever boring,but I do get burned out sometimes.If I get burned out I won't play for a few days maybe I'll practice a bit.I play alot so it happens sometimes,but I always come back fresh. New courses work great if your getting bored.

I got burnt out on golf few years after I started playing. I put the clubs down for almost a year. It was mostly playing by myself and going through the motion of playing just to be playing. Golf just didn't seem to be fun then. I was still ordering new stuff pretty regular but it didn't help. I think now it would be hard to get bored since I play alot less than I used to. I pretty much spend 7:30-4 on golf forums looking at golf stuff and few hours when I get home. Littlepingman and myself like to go to new & different courses all the time when we get to play so that helps too. Well new for me he played tons of courses in North Ga and SC area.

Every now and then there will be a weekend that I may just not feel like going out and playing, but other than that, I try to get out every week. It's never gotten to the point where it gets boring and I want to sit out for an extended period of time.

Never bored. I can't think of any break i've taken from golf since i started playing with my mickey mouse plastic clubs on the golf course as just a tiny little kid. The most break I've had is 2 years of no golf courses because I was college poor, but I still managed to make the driving range at least once every couple of weeks then.

As for those days where play is slow due to the volume of players, a few adult beverages can help with that, but it can come at a cost to your game.

Simple question.

There was a time, for a few years, that I didn't want to play. Got the shanks or something. Just didn't care for a long time.

Not for me. Went through a really rough period with the game last year due to an almost terminal bout of the s&%*#s. Wasn't sure if I would just go crazy or have to walk away from the game because I couldn't figure it out and neither could the first two instructors I saw. The end result was I just worked harder on my short game until I found someone who could cure my disease. Game is finally starting to come back now but it never became boring.

Boring, never. I did take a couple of years off for personal problems that I finally got sorted out and then came back to the game. That entire time, tho, I thought about going back out and playing all the time, just never did. I don't really get to play enough for it to get boring, what with the kids taking up a good majority of my time. My son is now finally at the point where he wants to go to the course with me, and we have a little par 3 course as part of my membership, so I will be taking him out there quite a bit this year to play a few holes. The only part that really gets boring for me is the fact that 99% of my round are played as a single as my golf buddy lives in Boston and only gets to town once or twice a year, and my brothers don't have as much time to play when I do.

I've never been bored with it and never will.
I refuse to play the same course over and over again and I love showing up to a course as a single and playing with new folks.
You never know who you are going to get paired with.

Never been bored of it before....but mostly just frustrated. Had some back problems and a new job that took me away from the game and coming back I realized I couldn't swing the way I had before. I went from shooting in the 70s to not even close to breaking 100 just because I couldn't do that swing anymore. Even now after a ton of changes and work with a instructor those terrible rounds still creep back in. So overall, it's just purely frustrating....but never boring.

I can see how playing by yourself all the time could get boring. I did that alot when I first started and didn't want to burden anyone with my hacking. But then I was so thrilled on the rare occassion when I caught the ball cleanly it held my atention. Now I think I would be willing to caddie if I couldn't play just to be out there. Meeting new people and spending time with friends is such an important part of this game.

I lost interest in it and did not play for about 5-6 years. I would play once or twice a year and that was about it. I was doing a lot more fishing and building my business. Last year all of my sons (4 of them0 all wanted to start playing golf and that is want got me back into it. I also had a back problem when I quit.

I've never been bored with golf, but I've been frustrated to the point of taking some time away from the course.
Usually though, if I'm missing out on golfing, it's because of something I need to do or would rather do, but not because I'm bored.

Back