Titleist Fitting - mini review and thoughts

Super Tuna

You can't scale this!
Reaction score
Handicap
Afternoon all,

So a number of weeks ago I signed up for a Titleist fitting with a local pro to try and help me sort out the long game clubs (knowing already that titleist short game clubs and I don't get along). I ended up doing the fitting yesterday and it was rather interesting.

First we checked the driver I already had and went through a number of different shafts just to make sure everything checked out (it did) and then moved on to the fairways and hybrids as you would expect. What I didn't expect was the numbers that showed up for the fairways and hybrids, though perhaps I should have. As others have mentioned it appears both the fairways and hybrids tend to be shorter then a lot of the other clubs out there even when drilled on the screws. Ball speed is signifigantly slower which is dropping distance everywhere. However just as much as the 910 series is leaking distance, it's gaining accuracy and forgivness, the later not being what Titleist is known for with it's "for players" reputation. I do have to say that the repuation seems to be carried along with the fitters a bit. There was a fair bit of talk about how the club should only reward you with a good swing and every and all bad or even slightly off swings should be punished. To be honest that's not exactly up my alley nor a philosophy I agree with. As an example when we were testing fairways we put the 910 against my S2 and it was neither as long as accurate. Their opinion was that as I take more lessons the 910 would keep getting better. I was curious why they thought the Cobra wouldn't get better as I improved as well but didn't recieve much of an answer.

Personally, I think Titleist has a good thing going with the 910 line. They still look like players clubs and still reward a great swing but can also put up with the amateur hacker like me quite well. I don't think that forgiveness message has trickled down to everyone as of yet though...

In summary
- Titleist fitters really know their stuff
- They're obviously brand bias, as they should be, so keep in mind info and numbers you already have from clubs you own or have tested
- This location really goes out of their way to make sure you're comfortable and give you a good experience. Their customer service is simply superb

In the end, I'm not yet convienced that more Titleist clubs will be making their way into my bag (hybrids are my current bug boo). None the less, it was a great experience and I ended up with a lot more info about exactly I want the clubs to do and the gaps I have to fill. If you have a Titleist advanced fitter in your area and are interested in their clubs at all, I would consider the visit worth it

Afternoon all,

So a number of weeks ago I signed up for a Titleist fitting with a local pro to try and help me sort out the long game clubs (knowing already that titleist short game clubs and I don't get along). I ended up doing the fitting yesterday and it was rather interesting.

First we checked the driver I already had and went through a number of different shafts just to make sure everything checked out (it did) and then moved on to the fairways and hybrids as you would expect. What I didn't expect was the numbers that showed up for the fairways and hybrids, though perhaps I should have. As others have mentioned it appears both the fairways and hybrids tend to be shorter then a lot of the other clubs out there even when drilled on the screws. Ball speed is signifigantly slower which is dropping distance everywhere. However just as much as the 910 series is leaking distance, it's gaining accuracy and forgivness, the later not being what Titleist is known for with it's "for players" reputation. I do have to say that the repuation seems to be carried along with the fitters a bit. There was a fair bit of talk about how the club should only reward you with a good swing and every and all bad or even slightly off swings should be punished. To be honest that's not exactly up my alley nor a philosophy I agree with. As an example when we were testing fairways we put the 910 against my S2 and it was neither as long as accurate. Their opinion was that as I take more lessons the 910 would keep getting better. I was curious why they thought the Cobra wouldn't get better as I improved as well but didn't recieve much of an answer.

Personally, I think Titleist has a good thing going with the 910 line. They still look like players clubs and still reward a great swing but can also put up with the amateur hacker like me quite well. I don't think that forgiveness message has trickled down to everyone as of yet though...

In summary
- Titleist fitters really know their stuff
- They're obviously brand bias, as they should be, so keep in mind info and numbers you already have from clubs you own or have tested
- This location really goes out of their way to make sure you're comfortable and give you a good experience. Their customer service is simply superb

In the end, I'm not yet convienced that more Titleist clubs will be making their way into my bag (hybrids are my current bug boo). None the less, it was a great experience and I ended up with a lot more info about exactly I want the clubs to do and the gaps I have to fill. If you have a Titleist advanced fitter in your area and are interested in their clubs at all, I would consider the visit worth it

Great write up ST. I have to ask if you have been to any other advanced fitters in the past? The reason being as the thing with the Cobra FW is one of the oddest I have ever heard from a fitter before. Curious is maybe it is something more geared towards your game specifically maybe, because otherwise, I would think that is absolutely TERRIBLE advice for amateur golfers. Clearly my opinion of course.

Hi JB,

In the past I've done a Golftec fitting as well as an advanced fitting with another local who wasn't associated with a brand.

I can only guess at their reasoning but it might have to do with the spin numbers when I put a bad swing on it. When I do that, I tend to get inside out on the ball and thus put a lot of backspin on it and perhaps they believe that when I don't do that the Titleist will offer more distance through less spin. Again, I'm only guessing at this point though I do intend to follow up on it when they make their final recommendations in a couple of days. Either way I see little reason to switch as when I put a good swing on both, the Cobra was a good 18 yards further on average with the same dispertion.

I would say u slice ur woods and the cobra with the built in hook bias helps u hit it straighter.U learn to hit the ball straighter he is saying u would hit the 910 better thats what im betting.

Sounds like a heck of a salesman to me.

Hey Tuna,
I am an Advanced Titleist Fitter and Staff Member and here is my take. Each club should be evaluated on it's on. If I have someone who fit's into a Titleist driver and needs fairway's and hybrid's, the process begins again with each. There will be an optimal launch angle and spin rate for a fairway wood and hybrid just like there is for a driver. As a fitter it is my job to get you the club that performs the best for you, regardless of brand.
It's not unusual, actually more the norm, that a player will have a driver of one make, fariway woods of another and hybrids of yet another. It all depends on what works the best for you.

Hi Bobby,

Sounds like a good take to me!

I think rather then trying to optimize each club as a whole, they were trying to get it to a set distance to close gaps which is perhaps why I was a bit miffed with some of the performance. It wasn't the results that got me, more of the perception about how we reach the results if that makes sense. Sort of the throw spagetti at the wall method instead of fine tuning the club.

In the end though, they did achieve what I would like and I did put more Titleist clubs in the bag which they liked (your openness to other brands working the best wasn't much in display but that's ok. I was a Titleist fitting afterall).

It was still a great experience and I'll likely do it again in a year or so to see if alterations need to take place.

Hey Tuna,
I am an Advanced Titleist Fitter and Staff Member and here is my take. Each club should be evaluated on it's on. If I have someone who fit's into a Titleist driver and needs fairway's and hybrid's, the process begins again with each. There will be an optimal launch angle and spin rate for a fairway wood and hybrid just like there is for a driver. As a fitter it is my job to get you the club that performs the best for you, regardless of brand.
It's not unusual, actually more the norm, that a player will have a driver of one make, fariway woods of another and hybrids of yet another. It all depends on what works the best for you.

I guess that explains your signature.

Hi - Bobbie Hix - I went to demo day and at 6'5" tall I was trying to find solution that added new tools to my bag. I had gone to all hybrids down to GW and added 1.5" on them. In trying the 910 D2 I was able to see it go from my driver I had that was usually a slight slice to hitting straight and slight draw with A3 setting. I did same with 19degree hybrid, all with stiff kali shaft. Added 1" on each as part of demo and I was hooked.
My real question came with what was solution for hybrid to GW. Guy doing demo was great and I hit the AP1 710's with 105T stiff shafts and plus 1". The result was hitting it toward toe. His assesment was at 49 years and 6'5" and my swing, it looked like I may have found success with hybrids due to wider club face and a little longer. The 710's were plus 4 degrees upright that I tried which I knew from prior with irons was what I wanted and could not get in hybrids since they are not bendable for most part. So....I am looking for the 710's with the 105T's but wondering if they are right clubs. I also wonder if the AP1's from prior year model are about as good as the new 710's. They have the dynamic golds which are 15 grams more for shaft and that can be factor.

All in all, I am a little confused and trying to figure it all out. Was ready to pull trigger on 710's but price is quite high even for pre-owned if I can find them.

Have thought of putting after market shafts in AP1's from last year but not sure what performance specs are for the 105T steel shafts.

Good news is I can't wait for my 910 D2 and h to arrive on Monday.

Hey Tuna,
When my son was going into his junior year of high school he was fitted by a pro just like you Bobby (Advanced Titleist Fitter and Staff Member) . The pro had him try a number of different irons, but in the end it came down to two: the Titleist CB's and the AP1's. The pro didn't try to sell him on any one brand. The fitting itself took well over an hour. They went to talk to my son's teaching pro and when it came down to it they went with the AP1's. In any case he's love's those irons.

When my son was going into his junior year of high school he was fitted by a pro just like you Bobby (Advanced Titleist Fitter and Staff Member) . The pro had him try a number of different irons, but in the end it came down to two: the Titleist CB's and the AP1's. The pro didn't try to sell him on any one brand. The fitting itself took well over an hour. They went to talk to my son's teaching pro and when it came down to it they went with the AP1's. In any case he's love's those irons.

But I assume since you were at a Titleist Advanced Fitter getting fit, you only worked with Titleist clubs correct? It was a fitting, werent they trying to fit you into the Titleist gear?

Awesome ST! :D
I like Titleist a lot and you don't hear very much about Titleist fittings.

Thanks for info. Looks like I will have to go back to a fitter or just try old fashion way and buy and experiment. Fitter sounds more logical. Will look to see if I can find one in the area.

If anyone has some other info or questions let me know and we can play fitters in cyber space - fun but not very efficient or effective - still fun, maybe.

But I assume since you were at a Titleist Advanced Fitter getting fit, you only worked with Titleist clubs correct? It was a fitting, werent they trying to fit you into the Titleist gear?
No, he hit Cobra's, Callaway's, TM's, and Pings.

Back