Push cart vs riding.

Benchmade

Reaction score
Handicap
I just read what was posted for walking. I use a Clic gear cart. I carried once and that was enough. I do not like riding though. The first time i went to my local course to play. The automaticly had me in a cart. I told them that i was walking/push cart and they looked at me like i was and odd ball. Since i was a single and was put with three other people. The other three were in riding carts while i pushed/walked. I find that i'm alot faster moving though the course when on foot vs in a cart. I find myself always waiting on the cart riders.

I did ride once. I did'nt like having to pull a few clubs at a time. The whole thing felt rushed as well as slow lol. Mabe it's just me. Maybe i have'nt played with long hitting strait players. Im not long at all but keep it in the short grass.

Why do courses feel the need to push you to drive a cart over walking? Not to mention whats the deal with the speed players who what to do 18 holes in two hours ? Whats the rush ?

I just read what was posted for walking. I use a Clic gear cart. I carried once and that was enough. I do not like riding though. The first time i went to my local course to play. The automaticly had me in a cart. I told them that i was walking/push cart and they looked at me like i was and odd ball. Since i was a single and was put with three other people. The other three were in riding carts while i pushed/walked. I find that i'm alot faster moving though the course when on foot vs in a cart. I find myself always waiting on the cart riders.

I did ride once. I did'nt like having to pull a few clubs at a time. The whole thing felt rushed as well as slow lol. Mabe it's just me. Maybe i have'nt played with long hitting strait players. Im not long at all but keep it in the short grass.

Why do courses feel the need to push you to drive a cart over walking? Not to mention whats the deal with the speed players who what to do 18 holes in two hours ? Whats the rush ?

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I only ride when I play. I wouldn't mind walking, if I could have a caddy!! I think courses are fast to load you in a cart so they can keep that every 8 minute starting time! I have seen some courses that "load em up" and don't care if it takes you 8 hours to play. That ruins the experience for me. I like to play fast but not be rushed or have to wait all day to hit my next shot though.

Oh lets not start this up again lol, where's OEM at he's got a good opinion on the matter.

A study a year or so ago showed that walkers live longer but shoot higher scores. What would you choose: longer life or lower scores?

Cart = Income

Courses have carts only which speed up play :) A lot of courses give you that option of riding or walking though!

Given this thread, and the one referenced, it surprises me how many people ride when they play golf. I can understand age or injury, but if you're in good health...and the course allows walking...I just don't understand why people don't walk.

Given this thread, and the one referenced, it surprises me how many people ride when they play golf. I can understand age or injury, but if you're in good health...and the course allows walking...I just don't understand why people don't walk.

+2. At 49, I've walked for 35+ years of playing. I hope I have many more.

Why do courses feel the need to push you to drive a cart over walking?
Part of it is that they feel it speeds up the pace of play and its also about $$$. They can soak you for an extra $15 if they force you to take a cart.
I dont care for riding in a cart either. If Im playing golf with friends and they want to take a cart Im fine with it, but Id much prefer walking.

I'm not sure if it necessarily speeds up play. For example, if one person hits it in the left woods and the other in the right woods? Or, if a person grabs the wrong clubs? Forgets a club at the green and has to come back for it? Etc.

Courses have carts only which speed up play :)

only if everyone plays quick... and i don't want to get started on that again :)

but yeah, more people can be fit onto a course if everyone has a cart. that's why my course does it. and they actually charge 10 dollars more if you want to walk!!

I'm not sure if it necessarily speeds up play. For example, if one person hits it in the left woods and the other in the right woods? Or, if a person grabs the wrong clubs? Forgets a club at the green and has to come back for it? Etc.

Come play any course around here as a walker and I will ride. I will play 27 in the time it takes you to play 18 without changing my pace of play. :act-up:

I know that I can ride faster than I push a cart. I agree with JB. Heck alot of times I get off work at 6. Tee off by 615 and am done with 18 by 8. That's why I can play so much. Granted my course isn't the hardest or the nicest. But i can play as much as I want, not get held up and it's a cheap membership!

Come play any course around here as a walker and I will ride. I will play 27 in the time it takes you to play 18 without changing my pace of play. :act-up:
No doubt JB, but you're a single digit. Come to my local muni and ride in the cart with the average golfer...you'll end up grabbing your bag and walking because you'll get tired of sitting and driving all over the course wondering when you'll get a chance to hit your approach. :)

+3. I do ride in a cart for tournaments but I'm out pushing my BagBoy cart any other time. At my club it takes me 2 1/2 hours to walk and play 18 holes. Very few at the club match that pace, even the riders so I don't agree that players using a cart play faster than those that walk. I know twosomes who play 4 1/2 rounds while riding in a cart when they never have to wait to hit a single shot.

It's the same old debate. I love to walk. It is all personal preference. I ride a few times each year if I play away from home and I enjoy that as well.

Cart rental is income, courses have to offer carts so they like to have a high rental percentage on them. As for the speed players if you watch they aren't running around like Crane in his vid. They usually just keep it in the fairway, hit the gir and one or two putt. No big deal I just let them play their game. I take more strokes so I don't try to keep up or block them from playing through. I walk and it is faster for me to do so, I'll use carts too if playing with someone who needs a cart but it is slower usually. I'm talking bogie+ golfers here.

No doubt JB, but you're a single digit. Come to my local muni and ride in the cart with the average golfer...you'll end up grabbing your bag and walking because you'll get tired of sitting and driving all over the course wondering when you'll get a chance to hit your approach. :)

It has nothing to do with skill level in this case. Geography plays a very big role in this and you would not last 12 holes walking at some courses around here. Ask anybody that played at Sarasota National if they could walk it. Or our old course of Westchase. Its just not feasible everywhere.

I ride, my local muni course doesn't rent carts, so I have my own that I use. That takes out some of the aggravation of being with another golfer while he spends 15 minutes driving up and down the rough looking for his ball. When that happens, i just pull up to a shade tree closest to my ball, lean back, and sip on a beverage.

Our good course that's about 40 minutes from me does require carts on weekends. It's a resort park, so they can get pretty busy sometimes, especially on weekends. I'm guessing the cart rule a combination of profit and speed.

It really all depends on how much I'm gonna play. If I'm playing 9, I walk. If I'm playing 18 at my normal course, then I ride. The front 9 is short, but the back 9 has anywhere from 50 to 150 yards between the green and the next tee. I feel I play better when I walk, but that's just me. And, like it's been said before, it's about the money, not the pace of play. 2 courses around me don't allow walking during peak season at all, and only one allows it in the off season after 2 in the afternoon. Both of these courses charge $60 to $80 peak season, and I don't feel either one of them is worth that price.

It has nothing to do with skill level in this case. Geography plays a very big role in this and you would not last 12 holes walking at some courses around here. Ask anybody that played at Sarasota National if they could walk it. Or our old course of Westchase. Its just not feasible everywhere.

I agree. While I walk 99% of the time, I doubt I can play faster than most that ride if we spent the same amount of time at the ball on each shot. Carts have to be faster. When alone for sure. I know in a few years as I get older, I'm going to ride.

It really all depends on how much I'm gonna play. If I'm playing 9, I walk. If I'm playing 18 at my normal course, then I ride. The front 9 is short, but the back 9 has anywhere from 50 to 150 yards between the green and the next tee. I feel I play better when I walk, but that's just me. And, like it's been said before, it's about the money, not the pace of play. 2 courses around me don't allow walking during peak season at all, and only one allows it in the off season after 2 in the afternoon. Both of these courses charge $60 to $80 peak season, and I don't feel either one of them is worth that price.

My wife and I just had this talk last weekend as our yearly membership was due and she pointed out that when we play 18 (we both walk), she is pretty worn out on the second nine. She said maybe would should buy a cart membership this year. I had to admit, that on the really hot days, I'm about done in as well by the time we finish. We decided to put it off another year as it adds $690 to the price but it will happen.
Carts no doubt make money for the courses and there are plenty of courses in my area that are like what JB is talking about. Way too long and hard to walk.

Bandon Dunes is walking only but caddies are encouraged. If courses really wanted to speed up play they would bring back the caddyshack. They rake bunkers, help find lost balls and keep things moving. It was also good summer work for kids and it ads so much to the experience.

Bandon Dunes is walking only but caddies are encouraged. If courses really wanted to speed up play they would bring back the caddyshack. They rake bunkers, help find lost balls and keep things moving. It was also good summer work for kids and it ads so much to the experience.

This is a good example though. Because there are a couple of spots at Bandon where you have to get in the cart to ride to the next tee due to distance. The caddy hops on the back. Those distances can be the norm in some areas.

That's why in my initial post I said courses that allow walking. Some courses don't because of the distances between holes.

Back