joining a club or staying public

No brainer --- go for it ! Your game will thank you for it !

The nice thing for the consumer right now Is most are waiving initiation fees. And there isn't required dining. That's why I'm kinda forced to jump on it now- too good a deal to wait a year. Just wish I could get on at scioto- I live a stones throw from clubhouse.

Tapping and talking since 2010.

Wow then you have to jump on that then. I know most waive initiation, but no minimum for dining? That's huge man.

Another point is that as a member of a private course often times your pro can get you on other private courses around the country/world. Great when traveling or escaping the snow

I think this is one advantage that a lot of peopel do not think about. I know i can play any country club in our town with just a phone call. For me the use of the facilities is worth the price of admission. All of y boys go out and hit balls all day if they want to no charge. We use to spend lots of money just hitting balls at the local public course. one day we spend over $50 just hitting balls.

Sounds like you are going to make the jump and i think its a good thing.

I think this is one advantage that a lot of peopel do not think about. I know i can play any country club in our town with just a phone call. For me the use of the facilities is worth the price of admission. All of y boys go out and hit balls all day if they want to no charge. We use to spend lots of money just hitting balls at the local public course. one day we spend over $50 just hitting balls.

Sounds like you are going to make the jump and i think its a good thing.

Yea i spend alot of money at the driving range - usually before i go to work - thats a big reason for wanting to join - as well as gettinga way from the public courses here that leave alot to be desired in a proper course.

Wow then you have to jump on that then. I know most waive initiation, but no minimum for dining? That's huge man.

Yea i was surpised too - no min on the dining - i have an appt tomorrow - maybe when im done theyll comp me a round- high of 55 and sunny tomorrow! woo hoo

I am on the fence on this one. I belong to a semi-private course that I live at and the only thing that keeps me there is mens club, otherwise I would have bailed on the membership already. We have the best mens club in the city from what I hear, weekly Friday night 9 hole tourneys Mar-Nov, plus a combined 27 other tournaments throughout the year on Sat and Sun. If it weren't for the men's club, I don't see the benefit as I can purchase a practice pass for the same course and use the range unlimited for $30 a month. Green fees here aren't outrageous so the cost of the monthly dues isn't significantly more than if I just played 6 rounds a month. So to me the membership that is at the course is the key. If there is no upfront initiation fee that would be great as it gives you a chance to try the club for awhile before committing totally to it. As for the playing the same course over and over, it does get a little boring after awhile, but I found that when I do get bored I just stop playing my course for a couple weeks and play some others and then come back and it's almost like it is new again. But again, I think the most important part is the membership that is there, if you don't get along with them or its not a very active membership then its not worth it.

I need to join a club this summer. I want to play in more events, and be able to play whenever I want.

If you like the course and can afford it, I say go for it. Living 15-20 minutes away is not a good thing though.

Where do you live that a 15 minute drive is a long way? Almost anywhere I go except to the grocery store is that far. My home course is 15 minutes away, and that's nothing. There are 2 which are closer, but one is too pricey and the other one I just don't like. I often drive an hour or more to play different courses.

How much are guest fees Matt? :D

Another perk is you will play more golf, since you aren't reaching into your pocket to pay each time you show up. Before I joined a club I was playing 20 rounds a year, now I am over 50 (and that is just in season posted rounds - Apr thru Oct). As someone mentioned, you can go practice for an hour, play a few holes after work, etc. Not to mention the club events, new friends and everything else that comes along.

Theres pros and cons to both. While a private clubs can be nice for all the perks, it also can get a bit tiresome playing that same courses all the time. With staying public, you can go play whatever course you want.
I did the membership thing a few years ago and it was cool because I could play every day if I wanted and it didnt cost me any more, but then on days when I didnt feel like playing I felt like I was wasting my money and it got kind of boring playing the same course all the time.

Theres pros and cons to both. While a private clubs can be nice for all the perks, it also can get a bit tiresome playing that same courses all the time. With staying public, you can go play whatever course you want.
I did the membership thing a few years ago and it was cool because I could play every day if I wanted and it didnt cost me any more, but then on days when I didnt feel like playing I felt like I was wasting my money and it got kind of boring playing the same course all the time.

I've been playing the same course for the last 6 years and I am not bored at all. Of course, that was one of the things I considered when making my decision - how challenging is the course and how does it stack up to my game (i.e. - I hit it fairly long, so playing a course that maxes out at 6000 yards would be unappealing after awhile). I also made sure there was a good group of guys I could play with on a regular basis, or that I could show up and get paired up when necessary.

I still do golf trips with buddies and play in the local golf association tournaments to play other courses, but 85% of my rounds are at the same course.

I've been playing the same course for the last 6 years and I am not bored at all. Of course, that was one of the things I considered when making my decision - how challenging is the course and how does it stack up to my game (i.e. - I hit it fairly long, so playing a course that maxes out at 6000 yards would be unappealing after awhile). I also made sure there was a good group of guys I could play with on a regular basis, or that I could show up and get paired up when necessary.

I still do golf trips with buddies and play in the local golf association tournaments to play other courses, but 85% of my rounds are at the same course.

+2. I've been at the same course for 35 years! It is about more than golf. For me the friends I have made there is worth more than money. You build lasting relationships with people and I'm as close to the owner and his family as I am to my own family.
I can't imagine life with out these friends and the weekend skins games. We have had skin games that have become folklore. The bantering & badgering is never ending. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Where do you live that a 15 minute drive is a long way? Almost anywhere I go except to the grocery store is that far. My home course is 15 minutes away, and that's nothing. There are 2 which are closer, but one is too pricey and the other one I just don't like. I often drive an hour or more to play different courses.

Hehe Im in the city - 15-20 mins is a haul :p

How much are guest fees Matt? :D

$92 - Sorry i didnt get back to you monday - I snuck out and got 18 in before dark.

After my round at Phoenix today - I got a call from the GM over at Pinnacle - I told him Id stop by the club after I finished. He gave me a good honest deal and I took it!

You are looking at the newest member of Pinnacle!!

Club is planning on opening in two weeks. Guest Fees are a little steep - but its nothing for a round with a fellow THP'er.

First step towards single digit handicap this year is complete.
Now I need to get a strict short game regimen down.

Im not sure how many rounds ill get in before the outing - but i guarantee ill be ready for something in August. *wink wink!

+2. I've been at the same course for 35 years! It is about more than golf. For me the friends I have made there is worth more than money. You build lasting relationships with people and I'm as close to the owner and his family as I am to my own family.
I can't imagine life with out these friends and the weekend skins games. We have had skin games that have become folklore. The bantering & badgering is never ending. I wouldn't want it any other way.

As a member of the Men's Club at a public course for 22 years, I have many of the same associations and ties that you describe. Pick the right venue and you can have many of the advantages of a private course without that annual fee and monthly dining charge. Most public courses (at least those I'm familiar with) have a regular clientele from which the same kind of friendships can be developed.

It's all in how you want to use your golfing time and dollars.

I am excited i just joined the club I have been looking at over the winter. The price was right, considering its NJ and the course layout is very nice too. Played it yesterday and excited to get out there again... and again

After my round at Phoenix today - I got a call from the GM over at Pinnacle - I told him Id stop by the club after I finished. He gave me a good honest deal and I took it!

You are looking at the newest member of Pinnacle!!

Club is planning on opening in two weeks. Guest Fees are a little steep - but its nothing for a round with a fellow THP'er.

First step towards single digit handicap this year is complete.
Now I need to get a strict short game regimen down.

Im not sure how many rounds ill get in before the outing - but i guarantee ill be ready for something in August. *wink wink!

Congrats! Good luck on the upcoming season and make sure you participate in member tourneys (they are a blast)!

I am excited i just joined the club I have been looking at over the winter. The price was right, considering its NJ and the course layout is very nice too. Played it yesterday and excited to get out there again... and again

Congrats Mike! What club did you join in Central NJ? There certainly are some good deals to be had at some very good courses in that area!

Congrats, I think you made the right move. Have a lot of fun with it.
PS: when I get tired of playing the same shots over and over from the same Tee boxes We play what we call Rainbow golf. we put a colored chip for each Tee box in a Bag and draw a color to see what Tees we will play from. Its great. you get to have lots of different shots. You cant post the round but its fun. I also play some 3 club rounds. 4 Hy. GW and putter. The course never gets old.

So have a few friends joining here this year; www.lakesclub.com
Decided I'd give em a call and see what kind of promotions they have. Was really impressed so im probably going to join here too.

I'll give them both a try this year and decide which one to stay on as a permanent member then. I think ill like the lakes for it's other amenities( pool, tennis, dining) and it's better located for the girlfriend to use. We like the area there for houses too. But I want to play both this year and I'll probably spend a lot of time there preparing.

Now just waiting or them both to open.

Both say soon weather depending.

I pass The Lakes when I go to league. It always looks great, another course I'd love to play. I'm sure which ever club you choose you'll be very happy with Matt. Just don't forget us commoners when you want to slum it and play a public track.

I pass The Lakes when I go to league. It always looks great, another course I'd love to play. I'm sure which ever club you choose you'll be very happy with Matt. Just don't forget us commoners when you want to slum it and play a public track.

haha no worries - alot of my buddies still play public tracks. time is right to join (fees are way down) and well probably buy a house up north there.

I'm looking at a course here in MI (Red Run). I think I can get a pretty good deal on their junior memebership. The biggest thing that would hold me back is paying dues in the winter when I can't play. I don't mind going there in the off season to make up the dining minimums, but I'm not the biggest fan of paying for rounds when I can't play the course.

I'm looking at a course here in MI (Red Run). I think I can get a pretty good deal on their junior memebership. The biggest thing that would hold me back is paying dues in the winter when I can't play. I don't mind going there in the off season to make up the dining minimums, but I'm not the biggest fan of paying for rounds when I can't play the course.

Dues are an annual fee, does the course give you an option to pay it all upfront? In making my decision, I took my annual dues divided by expected in-season rounds to see if it made sense financially. Any golf I get in during the offseason (Nov-Mar) is a bonus.

Another quick question. What are the items that you can most likely negotiate down? Is there anything that is pretty set in stone at most clubs?

Back