Most Used Ball On Tour

Thats a cool chart JB. I noticed Taylormade just has the Penta, are there any variations to it? I look at all the other ones with stars/diamonds which can indicate possibly a different production model. Wondering if that is the same with Taylormade balls.

Yes they do have different versions of the Penta ball...I seen it somewhere let me see if I can find the link...

Yes they do have different versions of the Penta ball...I seen it somewhere let me see if I can find the link...

During testing they had quite a few versions, however according to them yesterday, "all players were using the same ball".

During testing they had quite a few versions, however according to them yesterday, "all players were using the same ball".

Interesting that one ball fits so many different players with no tweaks....All Titleist players dont play this years ball, Nike clearly always has little tweaks to balls for their tour staff, srixon has the xv, the diamond, and the zstar, callaway tour i(s) and (z) balls with capital S and Z although retail only comes in lower case.....if this is true, which I dont doubt that is that is a great credit to Taylormade and their golf ball R&D department.

Question, do you guys think alot of companies will follow suit with the Rezin core technology as they did when Nike started the solid core golf ball? Do you guys see pros other than Nike staff switching to the 20XI ball?

You sure Nike created the first solid core golf ball?

I believe Spalding was the first back in the 70s and then Bridgestone was the first to do the first solid core multilayer urethane covered ball.

Tiger Woods I believe was the 1st to win on the PGA Tour with a solid core ball prompting Titleist to release the Pro V1 golf ball just months after Wally had said the wound ball was not dead.

I could be wrong in this stuff, but I am pretty sure that is the timeline as I remember it.

EDIT: In my research it appears TW was NOT the first to win with the solid core, he was merely the first to win with a Urethane covered solid core ball. There was actually solid core wins in the 90s by Nick Price, Faldo, etc...

Last edited:
Interesting fact for the WGC. If you break balls down by year/model, the Titleist ball is not the most used. It is in fact the TM Penta. That surprised me a LOT.

1212732717_F566y-L.jpg

Thanks for the chart JB, very interesting. Would have bet that the Penta didn't have that many users. Even though Titleist doesn't lead the count with a single ball they still hold 56% of the total brand used.

Thanks for the chart JB, very interesting. Would have bet that the Penta didn't have that many users. Even though Titleist doesn't lead the count with a single ball they still hold 56% of the total brand used.

No question and I think it says a lot of things, one of them being the quality has been there for years. Has the innovation? Not sure, but the quality has, that is for sure.

You sure Nike created the first solid core golf ball?

I believe Spalding was the first back in the 70s and then Bridgestone was the first to do the first solid core multilayer urethane covered ball.

Tiger Woods I believe was the 1st to win on the PGA Tour with a solid core ball prompting Titleist to release the Pro V1 golf ball just months after Wally had said the wound ball was not dead.

I could be wrong in this stuff, but I am pretty sure that is the timeline as I remember it.

EDIT: In my research it appears TW was NOT the first to win with the solid core, he was merely the first to win with a Urethane covered solid core ball. There was actually solid core wins in the 90s by Nick Price, Faldo, etc...

He was the first to win a Major with one though. If I remember right it was the 2000 US Open and Pebble.

He was the first to win a Major with one though. If I remember right it was the 2000 US Open and Pebble.

Nope, I believe that was Faldo, but he was the first to win with the Urethane covered solid core ball which is what I said above.

Interesting that one ball fits so many different players with no tweaks....All Titleist players dont play this years ball, Nike clearly always has little tweaks to balls for their tour staff, srixon has the xv, the diamond, and the zstar, callaway tour i(s) and (z) balls with capital S and Z although retail only comes in lower case.....if this is true, which I dont doubt that is that is a great credit to Taylormade and their golf ball R&D department.

The Penta with its 5 layers was supposed to be a one size fits all (tour players) golf ball wasn't it?

Interesting fact for the WGC. If you break balls down by year/model, the Titleist ball is not the most used. It is in fact the TM Penta. That surprised me a LOT.

1212732717_F566y-L.jpg

Great stat JB!! Titleist will still point out that more players are using their balls than any other OEM.

Nope, I believe that was Faldo, but he was the first to win with the Urethane covered solid core ball which is what I said above.

hmmm... That's not what I remember reading in Golf Digest. But I don't feel like finding the article again. I won't argue with you on it.

hmmm... That's not what I remember reading in Golf Digest. But I don't feel like finding the article again. I won't argue with you on it.

Then I would call them incorrect to. Looking at the stat, it was the Precept Tour Double Cover with a "large" solid core in 1996.

However TW won with the 1st Urethane Solid Core golf ball like I said above.

Then I would call them incorrect to. Looking at the stat, it was the Precept Tour Double Cover with a "large" solid core in 1996.

However TW won with the 1st Urethane Solid Core golf ball like I said above.

Golf Digest incorrect!? Never!

Nick Price actually won the 1994 Open Championship and PGA Championship using a 2-piece solid core Precept golf ball, made by Bridgestone. Tiger won the first ever major with a solid core, multi-layer urethane cover golf ball. Nick Faldo won the Masters in 1996 with a 4-piece, solid core Precept golf ball (still had a surlyn cover), also made by Bridgestone. Tiger's success with the solid core, multi-layer urethane cover ball is what prompted Titleist to abandon the wound Professional and introduce the Pro V1. That golf ball, Nike's TW Accuracy, guess who it was also made by. : ) Seeing a pattern here.

All of these facts and timeline are available in the official court papers from the Bridgestone Golf patent infringement lawsuit against Acushnet. You can find them for yourselves if you know how to search legal records in the District Court of Delaware.

I do find it interesting that titleist staffers are straying away from the new ball, all that tells me is that clearly something in the performance of that ball is not matching up to their previous versions of it.

I do find it interesting that titleist staffers are straying away from the new ball, all that tells me is that clearly something in the performance of that ball is not matching up to their previous versions of it.

Is that what's happening? I'ld be curious to see the reasoning they give. (the pros who have stuck to the older model.) I'm curious is it because they Don't like the new model? or if they are happy and comfortable with the older model.

Is that what's happening? I'ld be curious to see the reasoning they give. (the pros who have stuck to the older model.) I'm curious is it because they Don't like the new model? or if they are happy and comfortable with the older model.

Im guessing you skimmed this entire thread? :act-up:

I think they should signify which balls CAN'T be purchased by the consumer and those shouldn't count to the totals. Why do I care what ball Tiger is playing if I can't buy it?

The same thing should be true for shafts. If it's a prototype shaft, while it's interesting to read about, why does it matter to the normal everyday golfer if he or she can't actually test or use the model to improve his or her game. Same would be true for the Srixon dot ball - those are tour only issue. Same goes for certain lofts in woods and makes and models of putters. Good reading material but not going to influence my own purchases.

I think they should signify which balls CAN'T be purchased by the consumer and those shouldn't count to the totals. Why do I care what ball Tiger is playing if I can't buy it?

The same can be said of all golf equipment. It is not new news that the OEM's build everything to fit the pro's under contract to fit them, above what we can get from the same OEM. Special or prototype equipment for the pro's is not a bad thing at all. They are the testing ground for what we may or may not see in future releases. Most of the time we can't even purchase the hat the pro's are wearing at a given time. It is not really a big deal. Either you like a brand and their equipment works for you or you don't.
At least the OEM's are bringing foward and allowing us the same technology as far as fitting's go that the pro's have enjoyed for sometime. The game is better now than ever just it that area alone.

I was just watching yesterday's coverage and noticed for the first time that Tiger is playing a Nike ball.

I was just watching yesterday's coverage and noticed for the first time that Tiger is playing a Nike ball.

He has played a Nike ball for the past several years. But it isn't a ball that is available for purchase - it is something like a Nike Tour One Black if I remember correctly but it is different from the balls off the shelf.

He has played a Nike ball for the past several years. But it isn't a ball that is available for purchase - it is something like a Nike Tour One Black if I remember correctly but it is different from the balls off the shelf.

Actually that is not entirely correct. According to the info we get, quite a few times he is playing a regular ball.

Neat. I know at Aronimink he was using something a little different. His ball had a star on it.
Actually that is not entirely correct. According to the info we get, quite a few times he is playing a regular ball.

Back