how do you put more spin on the ball

yo, i got so tired of da ball not spinnin enuff... i started hittin all my short shots with sta puffs...

if you want 2 get alot of spin, the key is 2 make sure the club pinches the ball perfectly off the ground. It is just 2 awesome when you spin ur ball off the green with 2 much spin. (Ok I'm done, I won't let you get me hooked LPM.!)

Dang Nabbit, Sorry guys just noticed this is the ask the pro thread.

No problem guys. TO spin the golf ball a few things need to happen. First you need a good lie to play from. Fluffy doesn't work in terms of spin. Tight lies help here. Next you need to hit down and through the ball meaning your hands need to stay in front of the club head through impact. The last piece here is to take a fairly shallow divot. Taking a pelt here will not help your spin.

I just try to hit the ball on the green in regulation. When I can start doing that more often then I will learn how to put spin on the ball

Hit the ball further on your drive, and you can use a wedge to get it onto the green. LOL

No problem guys. TO spin the golf ball a few things need to happen. First you need a good lie to play from. Fluffy doesn't work in terms of spin. Tight lies help here. Next you need to hit down and through the ball meaning your hands need to stay in front of the club head through impact. The last piece here is to take a fairly shallow divot. Taking a pelt here will not help your spin.

So why do the pros take such a large pelt?

They are taking the divot well after the ball. Most people I work with when taking a divot it tends to start at or just before the ball. If I can get them trying to hit down and through the ball without feeling like you need to take a big divot they stay with the shot longer. A big divot is just fine IF you are hitting the ball clean and first.

I don't seem to leave many divots with my irons. I pick it clean most of the time. I don't think this is normal. Is it? Should I try to correct it?

Picking the ball clean is a very common move. It just means you are flipping the hands at impact and not getting the hands out in front of the ball through impact. The best drills and way to feel this correction is to work on the short game. The chip motion is where you want the hands through impact. Work on the short game and you will see better moves through the ball on your full swing.

Back