Cleveland CG16 Wedges

Nice review Gray!

Like you Hawk I've giving these an eye with DG spinners in mind. I like the KBS Hi Rev's but the stopping power of the DG's with the sole/groove of these has my mouth watering.

ST -- I don't believe you can go wrong with these. I will work more with them next week so more posts to come.

I doubt it'll be very hard to convince me Gray. I really liked the CG14's but simply wore them out while the CG15's and I never got along for some reason. I've also got a Cleveland demo day appointment coming up where I'm hoping to sort the wedges out.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you get more time mate.

I've played a few rounds with this wedge, 56/14, over the past 2 weeks. So far I really enjoy it from the rough and short stuff for flops, pitches, and chips, it allows me to hit a variety of shots. Where I have struggled is in the sand, I just can't seem to get comfortable with the club at my home course where the sand is coarse. I typically play 14 degree bounce SW's so I'm not sure where the inability to adjust to this club in the sand is coming from - I'll continue to work at it or just put the Vokey back in the bag.

My wedge game was sort of here and there yesterday, but I did take a lot of shots with these. I was struggling with getting my feel for distance down on touch shots, but that's not surprising since it was the first round of the year. Also, the wet conditions were the complete opposite of the mats I've been using.

What I did find is that these are 1) Long 2) very high. I know it sounds kind of stupid to say a wedge is long, but I was hitting them farther than I normally do on full shots. A perfect example is on a short par 3 that was playing about 105 yards. I hit a PW a little off center first and saw that I cleared the ravine, so I thought I'd give the 52° a shot. Normally, the 50° I played before would be my 100-105 club, so I had concerns about making it over the ravine. I ended up overshooting the flag by about 7 yards. Weird, but true.

Also, love the turf interactions with these. On that particular shot I remember the ball being very high and it felt incredible off the face. I actually looked down to see a monster divot and turned to ask Jrod if I took it on my swing. Apparently I had, but it felt like I was cutting through air and not grass.

I am looking forward to getting these around the green soon and will be able to finish up my review after that. Could be a little while, but I want to make sure I have all the facts before it goes up. In the meantime, I will keep this thread updated.

Hmmm, now you have me pondering Hawk, you rascal. I've always liked Cleveland's wedges, and these intrigue me a ton. Do you find them more forgiving than what you're use to, or is it too early to tell? I like that they have somewhat of a cavity on them, I'm sure it helps.

Hmmm, now you have me pondering Hawk, you rascal. I've always liked Cleveland's wedges, and these intrigue me a ton. Do you find them more forgiving than what you're use to, or is it too early to tell? I like that they have somewhat of a cavity on them, I'm sure it helps.

I want to use them more on the grass before I comment on that, but I will say that I'm able to be pretty consistent with them on full shots in terms of distance and accuracy. At the range last week I was putting them in the same spot over and over and over. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with forgivness since I'm not a great ball striker. That said, I have a better looking impact spot in the middle of the 52° than any other club in my bag right now. I've hit a few stinkers and can confirm that toe shots go right lol.

I want to use them more on the grass before I comment on that, but I will say that I'm able to be pretty consistent with them on full shots in terms of distance and accuracy. At the range last week I was putting them in the same spot over and over and over. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with forgivness since I'm not a great ball striker. That said, I have a better looking impact spot in the middle of the 52° than any other club in my bag right now. I've hit a few stinkers and can confirm that toe shots go right lol.

Yeah, I figure you will need some more time on grass before answering slews of my questions. At least those grass sessions are right around the corner. Keep up the good work pal, I'm excited about 2011 for you.

I don't know why I'm concerned about this, but for some reason the ultra high ball flight is a bit of a worry. I think that trajectory definitely helps me stop the ball, but I wonder how it will affect me in the wind. Time will tell, but I do think that some could benefit from a lower lauching/higher spin shaft.

Are hosel rockets easily controlled?? LOL. That's most of my wedge shots nowadays.

I'm following your review Hawk closely for a few reasons. But I almost pulled the trigger on a 52* this weekend. So close. But I'm going to wait to see how this plays out for you. Well try to at least.

Are hosel rockets easily controlled?? LOL. That's most of my wedge shots nowadays.

I'm following your review Hawk closely for a few reasons. But I almost pulled the trigger on a 52* this weekend. So close. But I'm going to wait to see how this plays out for you. Well try to at least.

LOL. Yes, I was able to hit a dead right hosel rocket a few times yesterday after I got tired. I just kept saying, "am I really s******* a wedge?"

I don't know why I'm concerned about this, but for some reason the ultra high ball flight is a bit of a worry. I think that trajectory definitely helps me stop the ball, but I wonder how it will affect me in the wind. Time will tell, but I do think that some could benefit from a lower lauching/higher spin shaft.

Hello Spinners!!!!

LOL. Just needed to make sure its a consistant right haha. Dude I'm not even kidding when I say I played to my rockets last week.

These CG16's remind me more of the CG14's than the 15's did. I had a love thing going with the 14's. These 16's though are stunning in hand. I was also wondering about the shaft because of all the spinner love out there. These look like the real deal and sound so far like they are living up to it. Can't wait till you get more grass time buddy.

LOL. Yes, I was able to hit a dead right hosel rocket a few times yesterday after I got tired. I just kept saying, "am I really s******* a wedge?"

As you use these more you'll be able to manipulate the trajectory of the shot so being able to hit it high with a stock swing is a good thing Hawk. (In my opinion anyway). Thanks for the update, sounds like you've got a nice wedge setup and I can't wait to hear how it works out for you as we get the 2011 season going.

Chu are much faster than me my friend. Exactly what I was thinking. That radio show on the spinner shafts has me thinking CG16 50* spinner combo.

Hello Spinners!!!!

These are an extension of the CG14 line, so your observation is correct ;)

As you use these more you'll be able to manipulate the trajectory of the shot so being able to hit it high with a stock swing is a good thing Hawk. (In my opinion anyway). Thanks for the update, sounds like you've got a nice wedge setup and I can't wait to hear how it works out for you as we get the 2011 season going.

That's very true and I was able to alter the trajectory quite a bit when I was on the range with them over the last few weeks. Like I said, I probably just need to quit thinking about it because I use trajectory to stop my shots more often than not. I do think that some would like these better with a different shaft though.

Have the CG 56* and 60* only clubs in my bag besided my putter that are not Taylormade. Love the feel and response.

nice update Hawk....sounds like these will work out really well for you this year
My wedge game was sort of here and there yesterday, but I did take a lot of shots with these. I was struggling with getting my feel for distance down on touch shots, but that's not surprising since it was the first round of the year. Also, the wet conditions were the complete opposite of the mats I've been using.

What I did find is that these are 1) Long 2) very high. I know it sounds kind of stupid to say a wedge is long, but I was hitting them farther than I normally do on full shots. A perfect example is on a short par 3 that was playing about 105 yards. I hit a PW a little off center first and saw that I cleared the ravine, so I thought I'd give the 52° a shot. Normally, the 50° I played before would be my 100-105 club, so I had concerns about making it over the ravine. I ended up overshooting the flag by about 7 yards. Weird, but true.

Also, love the turf interactions with these. On that particular shot I remember the ball being very high and it felt incredible off the face. I actually looked down to see a monster divot and turned to ask Jrod if I took it on my swing. Apparently I had, but it felt like I was cutting through air and not grass.

I am looking forward to getting these around the green soon and will be able to finish up my review after that. Could be a little while, but I want to make sure I have all the facts before it goes up. In the meantime, I will keep this thread updated.

Absolutely LOVE Cleveland Wedges!!! OUTSTANDING!

I have the 50 & 56 and these wedges do perform. I love the way Hawk described the feel as cutting through air with the turf interaction. Perfect bounce for me as my old wedges had TOO bunch bounce for our course. I love the balanced feel of these clubs in my hands. Not too heavy, not to light, but just right. I hit my 50 degree from 110 yesterday and it sailed nice and high with great spin on it. I am falling more in love with these wedges each time I go out :thumb:

I played today and these wedges performed better than any wedge I have ever hit. Very consistent with great spin and they perform like a top quality wedge is suppose to. They cut through the firm turf and they are basically point and shoot. I can not say enough good things about my 50 & 56 degree CG16 wedges other than I highly recommend them :thumb:

Glad to hear, Gray. I also had the chance to use these today a feel very much the same as you. I'm still working on my feel and touch, but I was really getting some good wedge shots with them. I've found them to be quite versatile. I was able to use the 60 for everything from a shot, low flying chip shot to a very high flop that stopped dead.

I continue to struggle on flighting the ball lower with fuller (is that even a word?) shots, but had some success. It's not a shot I've used a lot, but I'm going to keep trying.

I have the 50 & 56 and these wedges do perform. I love the way Hawk described the feel as cutting through air with the turf interaction. Perfect bounce for me as my old wedges had TOO bunch bounce for our course. I love the balanced feel of these clubs in my hands. Not too heavy, not to light, but just right. I hit my 50 degree from 110 yesterday and it sailed nice and high with great spin on it. I am falling more in love with these wedges each time I go out :thumb:

Skim warning but what bounce do you have on these wedges Gray?

Skim warning but what bounce do you have on these wedges Gray?

Chunk -- My 50 degree = 10 bounce & 56 degree = 14 bounce.

Like I said, these wedges are my all time favorite!

So can I ask how much bounce your old wedges had?

Back