Cleveland CG16 Wedges

So can I ask how much bounce your old wedges had?

Good question but honestly I don't have a clue. They were the Cobra UFI 54 degree sand wedge & the 58 degree lob wedge. The soles were quite large and I'm sure the bounce was huge. My course plays firm and it was extremely hard to get down through the ball. The CG16's are so easy to cut through the firm turf and get the job done.

Oh OK. You had said your previous wedges were high bounce and from looking at the Clevelands they seem high bounce as well which is exactly what a digger like me needs. I am really liking these wedges. I think I'm going to go with a 50/54/58 combo with the DG Spinners. Thanks for the reviews. You got me to bite I think.

I think that combo would match up with your Di11's very nicely, CL.

Oh they definitely will Hawk. Now I just need to sell some stuff. Gambler Straight and some wedges coming my way soon.

Oh they definitely will Hawk. Now I just need to sell some stuff. Gambler Straight and some wedges coming my way soon.

I think you will love them. I loved the XFT, but these are just top-notch wedges.

Going to take these out on the course again this week and should have a review finished up shortly after. Will be taking them to a course with open greens, so should be able to get that last bit of info I need.

I am definatly missing something inbetween my PW and SW, I think I am going to have a go with these CG16's.

I think you will love them. I loved the XFT, but these are just top-notch wedges.

Hawk, what would you say are the biggest differences between the CG16's and the XFT's? I know that you were fond (and had good results) with the XFT's, so what about the CG16's makes them take the XFT's place?

I will answer this one later today buddy. Kid in one arm and phone the other.

Hawk, what would you say are the biggest differences between the CG16's and the XFT's? I know that you were fond (and had good results) with the XFT's, so what about the CG16's makes them take the XFT's place?

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I will answer this one later today buddy. Kid in one arm and phone the other.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Sure thing buddy. Play well today.

Ok, free at last!

I would say the biggest difference between these and the xFT's are 1) the added forgiveness 2) the slightly larger head size. Both wedges have a straighter leading edge, which I prefer and both seem to be weighted well for me. I'd give the edge in shafts to the xFT's for sure.

I loved the xFT and still think it's a great wedge. I think the fact that I got to play with it instead of the CG16's at the outing was great, because it allowed me to try out something I probably wouldn't have chosen otherwise. At the demo day, I absolutely loved the CG16's, but JB had to remind me that I couldn't take them on the course like I wanted to due to embargo. I think that I would have been happy to play the xFT this year.

In the end, I'm just really impressed with the versatility of the CG16's. I'm able to pull off all kinds of short game shots very easily with them and they seem to be receptive to all of them. I've never been a fan of the 60° wedge, but that CG16 60° is money. It's starting to become my go-to when I get close. I can flop it, keep it lower, and get some great stopping power from it.

So, basically the CG16's are easier to hit? More forgiveness, larger head, should equal a much easier wedge to hit. I think the 16's are slick. I like that they are meant to be blended with the iron set.

Yes, on full shots the forgiveness has come in very handy to me a couple times. You'd think that forgiveness would be a non-issue with wedges, but I can miss with them too. Just not as often. When you add all the versatility to that package, it's pretty tough to beat for a golfer like me.

Hawk, do you think they are substantially better than the cg14 wedges? I ask because I loved them and have a brand new set of them that are sitting in my closet. I was thinking I might sell them if the new ones were alot better.

I've never used the 14's, but I was able to check them out yesterday at Dick's. They look very similar to me, but that's about all I can tell you. I'm sure JB could give you some more info.

Hawk, do you think they are substantially better than the cg14 wedges? I ask because I loved them and have a brand new set of them that are sitting in my closet. I was thinking I might sell them if the new ones were alot better.

I've never used the 14's, but I was able to check them out yesterday at Dick's. They look very similar to me, but that's about all I can tell you. I'm sure JB could give you some more info.

Here is my brief take on the subject. I liked the CG14s, but thought the "gel" pad in the back deadened the feel slightly. I also found that they were very forgiving low and high on the club face which I loved, especially since so many hit thin and thick with wedges due to deceleration. However I always felt that if someone could create a blade type of wedge and add some sort of cavity to it (oxymoron) in a couple of small places, they would be golden. As long as they could do so without killing the versatility and feel, which is where the problems come in. Companies have tried to do this before and ruined good wedges in my opinion by eliminating the impact feelings. Well, finally, someone was able to do this I think. The mini "notches" add mass to the heel and toe without changing the versatility one bit in my opinion. Plus they extend a little higher up on the club face which helps with the balance and weighting of the club. The pocket cavity gives you the great feel you deserve when hit purely on the sweet spot. Overall, it is a great evolution to the CG14 line in which I think they added a little more forgiveness without taking away any feel (in fact put some back). Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Hawk and JB. I thought the looks were similar. I guess I just need to wait till the THP demo day. Of course, with all of the great reviews on this site, that is hard to do. :angel:

Thanks Hawk and JB. I thought the looks were similar. I guess I just need to wait till the THP demo day. Of course, with all of the great reviews on this site, that is hard to do. :angel:

Lol it is very hard. I need some wedges!!

Just remember, you get to try everything out on a grass range and may be able to actually use for a round. No better way to see how something works for you.

Lol it is very hard. I need some wedges!!

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Hawk- Did you get to take these on the course today?

Hawk- Did you get to take these on the course today?

Thankfully, yes. We were stopped short by weather, but these wedges were solid today. I didn't really have any full shots with them, but from 50 yards and in they were great. I'm figuring out which wedge to use in each situation and it's different than what I used to play. Last year, I was using the 50 and 56 almost exclusively, but I've found that the 60 excels on chips from 5 yards and in (among other things). I put a couple close with it. The 52 is working very well for low running chips from a bit farther out and also for 40-50 yard pitches. I'm using the 56 more for fluffier lies. I was in the sand three times and the 60 worked very well for me. I had one that I just chunked, but the rest were pretty good. Jrod tell me I put some spin on an e6 out of the sand. I didn't see it as I was down below the green.

I'm feeling super confident in my short game right now and I have to say that these wedges are part of that.

Last edited:
HAHA Great Ad by Cleveland Golf
"Instead of whining like Golf Digest did about the new groove rules, we saw it as an opportunity."

No respect for GD anymore.

HAHA Great Ad by Cleveland Golf
"Instead of whining like Golf Digest did about the new groove rules, we saw it as an opportunity."

No respect for GD anymore.

That is a pretty cool answer. I love my 50 & 56 degree CG16 wedges. Great stopping action and just a fun wedge to depend on. It's almost like those cars that park themselves, well like I said, almost :D

Sorry, but I'm a little confused. I'm not making a smart comment, but rather looking for info. I love Cleveland, but don't see where they took this opportunity they are talking about. I think that they did great with working the cavity in the back of the wedge, but in their response they were speaking of groove rules. All I see in their groove changes is that they moved from non conforming to conforming grooves. These are the same as the CG15 tour zips, no changes. And they kept the laser milling, same as before with no changes. So where was it that they took an opportunity to rewrite the book on grooves before starting to call other people whiners? If they did do something else that I'm missing then please let me know because I would like to be well informed on their changes.

Any takers in reference to the above question? Sorry, but I just had to move this thread back to the top so that maybe someone that might have missed it before can answer.

Back