Callaway RAZR Hawk & Octane Drivers Explained

I went to get my pool water tested yesterday and I was chatting about golf with him (I chat about golf with everyone) and he was going on and on about how great the new Callaway RAZR Hawk driver is. This driver is getting so much buzz not only on the tour but by the general consumer too.

you just had to throw in there " i went to get my pool water tested ". just rub it in, would ya! hehe! i bet you were eating cadbury mini eggs too.

I hit a 10.5 Tour RAZR Hawk on a simulator/monitor over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I've never been a big Callaway fan - the sound, the feel, the shafts... nothing ever was good for me. But the RAZR Hawk sounds much different to me, feels more solid, and at least the Tour seemed to have a better shaft. Based just on the monitor numbers it isn't the shaft for me, but I was pleased enough with the head that I'd certainly consider it, which is the first time I can really say that about a Callaway product.

My new driver of the week showed up today.... :D Razr Hawk Tour I can't wait to get it home!

My new driver of the week showed up today.... :D Razr Hawk Tour I can't wait to get it home!

I'm really excited about hearing your thoughts on the driver jd. I believe you are going to be pleasantly surprised. I like it a bit more than the FT Tour and i loved that driver too.

Keep us posted brother.

We finally have some decent weather here, so I'm hoping to get outside with my new Razr Hawk this weekend. If I do, I will report back. I'm sort of surprised that this thread has garnered more attention. I expected the R11 to be more popular (when I went to test drivers, I figured I'd be coming home with an R11 since I love the look and I've played the R7 for quite a long time and loved it), but 105 pages in the R11 thread compared with 12 in this one is quite the discrepancy.

I listened to this radio show again this morning and then took the two drivers discussed out for some trials. Each time I try the RAZR Hawk, I am more and more impressed. Both drivers impressed me today, but the RAZR Hawk just excelled for my game. There is something about the sound at impact that just has me giddy.

I listened to this radio show again this morning and then took the two drivers discussed out for some trials. Each time I try the RAZR Hawk, I am more and more impressed. Both drivers impressed me today, but the RAZR Hawk just excelled for my game. There is something about the sound at impact that just has me giddy.

JB, I listened to the radio show again this morning as well, and I have hit both the Razr Hawk Tour and the Octane tour, but what differences are you finding between the two? Different sound for sure, but distance, ball flight?

JB, I listened to the radio show again this morning as well, and I have hit both the Razr Hawk Tour and the Octane tour, but what differences are you finding between the two? Different sound for sure, but distance, ball flight?

Im not sure I am seeing a distance difference. I find the RAZR Hawk ball flight a little more penetrating for me personally.

This thread really has me interested in the RH. All the reviews have been fun to read.
I like my FT 9 currently and can't wait for the local demo day in April.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I finally managed to get to the range this weekend to get some outdoor time with the Razr Hawk. My driver swing was not spectacular yesterday, but the Razr Hawk lived up to its billing. I have to agree with JB on the sound. I've never been one to pay a whole lot of attention to the sound of a driver (other than noticing when a driver has a particularly obnoxious sound), but the sound of this one is perfect. I tend to hit the ball extremely high and I always felt that I've sacrificed distance by hitting the ball too high with my driver. The Razr Hawk seems to fix that for me. I seem to get a much more penetrating ball flight, but without sacrificing carry. I tested the Razr Hawk against my R7 and a solid drive with the R7 tended to carry about as far as a mishit with the Razr Hawk. A good shot with the Razr Hawk was no comparison. Better ball flight, probably 15 extra yards of carry, and much more total distance. The extra half inch of length threw me off just a little bit, but I think that will just take some getting used to with more practice.

I finally managed to get to the range this weekend to get some outdoor time with the Razr Hawk. My driver swing was not spectacular yesterday, but the Razr Hawk lived up to its billing. I have to agree with JB on the sound. I've never been one to pay a whole lot of attention to the sound of a driver (other than noticing when a driver has a particularly obnoxious sound), but the sound of this one is perfect. I tend to hit the ball extremely high and I always felt that I've sacrificed distance by hitting the ball too high with my driver. The Razr Hawk seems to fix that for me. I seem to get a much more penetrating ball flight, but without sacrificing carry. I tested the Razr Hawk against my R7 and a solid drive with the R7 tended to carry about as far as a mishit with the Razr Hawk. A good shot with the Razr Hawk was no comparison. Better ball flight, probably 15 extra yards of carry, and much more total distance. The extra half inch of length threw me off just a little bit, but I think that will just take some getting used to with more practice.

If it's working that well for you now, imagine how well it's going to be working for you after more range time and some rounds of golf. The RH is just good. I was thinking about this driver yesterday, and though it is somewhat more marketed than the Razr irons by Callaway, it's a shame that more folks aren't putting this driver on their "to demo" list.

is the performance of this driver, the hawk alot better than the octane driver?

Im not sure I would say better. Its different definitely. I would urge people to try both out.

How many Callaway staffers are thinking about this driver? Me.

I can almost assure you that the Razr Hawk will be in my Callaway staff bag!

Can't wait to hit this thing....the technology sounds amazing and JB has had some really good things to say about it.

I have hit both and was really unable to tell a lot of difference between the 2. Of course it was a an outdoor demo day with 8 inches of snow and a really sunny day! Hard for me to see the ball distance wise. But feel wise I acually liked the Octane better. Maybe it was the $100 difference in price in the back of my head. I am going back this weekend to hit them both and make a decision. I know now to take another set of eyes with me to locate distance. But overall I really like both of them.
Just picked up an Octane tour 3 wood also. Can't wait for golf season in Mich.

I'm really interested in testing these side by side. I like the Octane at the outing and have yet to hit the Razr Hawk. So far the reviews on the RH have been very good. I'm heading to the range tonight to work on the swing, I may have to run inside and see if I can hit at least 1 of these 2 drivers.

I can almost assure you that the Razr Hawk will be in my Callaway staff bag!
I'm with TC on this one. I hit the Razr Hawk probably 10 times on the range and immediately knew this thing is wicked. I need to hit it again, THP Demo Day baby!

*raises hands* The Razr Hawk blew me away. But I'd be interested in taking the Octane for a spin as well. I've kinda gone driver crazy... You'll see in a few weeks lol. I'd be interested in the Octane with some different shafts or just a better PX fit. Ida know, my head is spinning thinking about all the possibilities.

as of last night at 7 pm this thread just got more interesting to me!

I had an opportunity to spend the time on the range and on the course with the RH so I thought that I would add my thoughts as well. Overall I liked the RH as much or more than any of the other new drivers I have hit. The sound and feel of the RH driver were wonderful. The face of the driver felt hot, even hitting range balls it felt like the ball jumped off of the face of the club. I am currently hitting a Ping G5 so of course I found the driver to be a lot longer. The thing that I didn't like about the RH was the longer shaft. I generally hit a fade or slice, the longer shaft caused me to hit some major hooks. I found that to hit drives straight I really had to slow my swing down. If I used my normal swing speed the shaft felt unmanageable. With a nice smooth swing the RH performed and went straight although I felt like I wasn't trying and if I had a shorter shaft the club would go even farther. To test things I choked down a little on the club and decided to see what happened. When I choked down I felt more in control with the club I was able to add some distance. Tuesday was a little windy so I am going to head out this weekend and give the club another spin.

Having tried the following drivers: G15, 910D3, R11, and Octane Tour I am going to try the Superfast 2.0, the RH, and the 910 before I make a decision. I will probably then take my top 3 to the launch monitor and see what the numbers say before making a final decision. I have to say that out of the lot, the RH is the clubhouse leader and actually the Octane and the RH would make up two of my top three. Overall, the face of the RH is great and a nice smooth swing gives you great results. Can't add for much more out of a driver.

I had an opportunity to spend the time on the range and on the course with the RH so I thought that I would add my thoughts as well. Overall I liked the RH as much or more than any of the other new drivers I have hit. The sound and feel of the RH driver were wonderful. The face of the driver felt hot, even hitting range balls it felt like the ball jumped off of the face of the club. I am currently hitting a Ping G5 so of course I found the driver to be a lot longer. The thing that I didn't like about the RH was the longer shaft. I generally hit a fade or slice, the longer shaft caused me to hit some major hooks. I found that to hit drives straight I really had to slow my swing down. If I used my normal swing speed the shaft felt unmanageable. With a nice smooth swing the RH performed and went straight although I felt like I wasn't trying and if I had a shorter shaft the club would go even farther. To test things I choked down a little on the club and decided to see what happened. When I choked down I felt more in control with the club I was able to add some distance. Tuesday was a little windy so I am going to head out this weekend and give the club another spin.

Having tried the following drivers: G15, 910D3, R11, and Octane Tour I am going to try the Superfast 2.0, the RH, and the 910 before I make a decision. I will probably then take my top 3 to the launch monitor and see what the numbers say before making a final decision. I have to say that out of the lot, the RH is the clubhouse leader and actually the Octane and the RH would make up two of my top three. Overall, the face of the RH is great and a nice smooth swing gives you great results. Can't add for much more out of a driver.

Great info. Can I ask why you are limiting yourself to just those drivers to try and not a few others?

Back