Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I watch golf on a weekly basis, The PGA, Euro PGA and some Nationwide events and I have found that I really enjoy all of the commentary offered up by the Talk Heads inside my TV. I may be in the minority but I really Like Johnny Millers candid comments on the players and the state of their games. He is very knowledgable and I agree with a great deal of his views. I'm also becoming a fan of the banter between Sir Nick and Jim Nantz (who may be becoming a little full of himself)

Who do you like? What channels converage really does it for you? Do you enjoy the Format. I'm interested in finding out your views.

I moved this one over to the Golf section for people to find.

Good topic.

Nick Faldo is much better than Johnny Miller in my opinion. Nick is a lot more contemporary and understands modern swing thoughts and techniques. Plus Nick Faldo won a lot more than Johnny Miller ever did. Instant credibility.

Fehrety is the only one I actually enjoy listening to

Good Points, Nick's resume is pretty impressive! 6 majors is Hall of Fame status

Nick Faldo is much better than Johnny Miller in my opinion. Nick is a lot more contemporary and understands modern swing thoughts and techniques. Plus Nick Faldo won a lot more than Johnny Miller ever did. Instant credibility.

Jim Nantz- just a good annuncer whose tone always fits the scene
Faldo- as long as he keeps his cliches to a minimum he's good, especially when breaking down a swing
Dottie Pepper- tells it like it is and doesn't take crap from Johnny Miller
Johnny Miller- brutally honest but sometimes overplays the 'Simon Cowell' bad guy motif
Feherty- how can you go wrong with an Irish guy who farts on tv and makes Tiger crack up?

I like Johnny Miller. At least he is not kissing anyone's rear and tell's it like he see's it. I also like David Fehrety, great sense of humor. Not a big fan of Faldo. Just comes off way too arrogant for me. He talks about how he did this and done that, or how good he was way too often for me. Someone just needs to tell him its not about him anymore. Gary Koch and Dottie Pepper are good as well along with Roger maltby. JMO

I really like the banter between Feherty and Gary McCord. I think Peter Jacobson does a good job also. Johnny Miller is a favorite and I can do without Faldo and Nantz. Kelly Tilghman should be seen and NOT heard.

I think most of Nantz's commentary is just played off a tape for the Masters, at least when he's discussing the history of the course or how good a particular hole looks. "Here we are, looking at the 9th hole at 6am this morning, when there was still dew on the grass. It's truly a majestic hole. It's the calm before the storm. It's hard to imagine it being this peaceful just a few hours ago...."

I mean, c'mon, he could use lines like that every single year. They should just take commentary from EA Tiger Woods and let some guy in a booth hit the right button for commentary. "Annnnnnd, that's a birdie." "Now putting, for his 11th consecutive birdie." LOL

Feherty is pretty good.

Love Feherty. Faldo isn't too bad. Milelr gets annoying after saying someone succombed to pressure the fourth time on a saturday telecast. Nantz, well, he's Jim Nanatz, and isn't going anywhere. Now, I was watching the Puerto Rico open last night and heard Rymer on there. Who the hell is this guy and where did he come from? I will watch Golf Central, but, if he's on it, I change it immediately. His voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard and his over excitement for everything is horrible.

My favorites are Feherty, McCord and Tilghman.

The guys just have great jokes are I enjoy their voices, and Tilghman just has that serious tone to her that I like.

I'll take Sir Nick over Johnny Miller. Don't have anything against Miller, I just like Faldo more. Feherty is always a blast to listen to. I wish he could be at every event. McCord is good too. Actually I mind mind any of the announcers/commentators that we see/hear on a regular basis.

Feherty and McCord,Faldo and Miller.Always like listening to these guys.

I actually prefer Azinger and Tirico over Nantz and Faldo. If ABC/ESPN did more tournaments, I think you'd hear these names come up more in announcer chatter. I think Nantz tries too hard or the big moments seem forced / preplanned ("a win for the family..."). I agree with many that Pepper and Feherty are the best on course announcers. I really dont have many that make me hit mute or turn the channel, but agree that Charlie's excitement is over the top much of the time. There was a thread a while back about the golf announcer dream team. Its worth a read, IMO.

Faldo does on occasion sound like he is trying to tell us that these guys are OK for what they are but "since they never had to face me on a Sunday....well we will never really know how capable they are". I keep expecting Miller to tell us that golf is "90% mental and the other half is physical". He is not that bad but all too often you find yourself wondering what the hell he just said. Every time a guy takes a drink of water or ties his shoe laces it is because "the pressure is obviously getting to him and his round is spiraling out of control".

Pepper is excellent in my view.... straight up reporting with no frills and no over the top efforts to impress. She occasionally ventures into analysis and commentary but is best at straight up reporting. You know what is going on with a minimum of B.S.

I think Faherty will be fine once he finds his legs. He is clearly hunting for the right tone and the right level between frivolity, playfulness and information. Once he gets it right I think he will really shine. McCord is OK. Nantz is actually kinda' annoying.

Johnny Miller makes me hate watching golf. I often just mute the tv when NBC is covering an event. He always seems to know how to play every shot, after it was played and criticizes every bad shot as if he could do better and the player should be ashamed with his effort. The constant "back when I was playing..." comments get really old too. It's a different game now and he needs to realize that. I don't care what the loft on your 5 iron was and so on. I'm convinced he's a little bitter that these 20 year olds are making millions when he only made $35K when he played his best round of his life to come back to win a major.

Don't watch too much golf on TV, so I really can't say which commentators I like or dislike.

But I think Robin Williams said it best:

"I want the guy who does Mexican soccer to do golf one time....the ball is rolling....the ball is going to the...HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Don't watch too much golf on TV, so I really can't say which commentators I like or dislike.

But I think Robin Williams said it best:

"I want the guy who does Mexican soccer to do golf one time....the ball is rolling....the ball is going to the...HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE!"

That would be EPIC

If they don't make me change the channel then they're winning. But its hard for me to change the channel regardless, though I'd much rather listen to Feherty he's a lot of fun. I think I've learned more by watching golf channels early round coverage. It helps me to know what a player is really thinking when analyzing the next shot. So for that aspect Faldo is great. Whenever I see the lie and I hear Dottie talk about how terrible it is I crack up, because if I can see the ball, then its a good lie for me! I disagree with whoever said Kelly is better seen than heard. I think she has useful information and I agree completely with the other poster about her serious tone. Nantz is Nantz. I could listen to him call a Ghandi sit in.

All in all:

Feherty
Nantz
Tilghman
Faldo
Pepper

I really like them all!

I really enjoy the understated way the European tour talking heads go about their business. Its all about the golf and not them. I'm entertained by the golf not the announcers. I would like to go out with Dottie however.

I personally think that the golf commentators as a whole group are the best out of any sports. Miller can be a bit much at times but at least you don't get the constant overhyping of every player on any given weekend. (outside of tiger back when he deserved it) When I watch a football game I have to turn off the sound because I can't stomach listening to the morons ramble on and on.

I actually prefer Azinger and Tirico over Nantz and Faldo. If ABC/ESPN did more tournaments, I think you'd hear these names come up more in announcer chatter. I think Nantz tries too hard or the big moments seem forced / preplanned ("a win for the family..."). I agree with many that Pepper and Feherty are the best on course announcers. I really dont have many that make me hit mute or turn the channel, but agree that Charlie's excitement is over the top much of the time. There was a thread a while back about the golf announcer dream team. Its worth a read, IMO.

You beat me to it. I think Tirico is the best in the business, hence the nickname "Mr.Smooth". The best telecasts were when Faldo just started and they had him, Tirico and Azinger all commentating.

Of those we get to see most often I like Faldo the best and Frank Nobilo from TGC has grown on me quite a bit too.

Back