Polara Golf Ball Testing Review Thread

I played 18 holes yesterday to test the 2 and 3 piece balls .I also tested them against a b330-rx.I found that both the 2 piece and 3 piece balls flew extremely straight 13 out 14 faiways.But i also noticed a great deal of distance lost 20 to 30 yrds short of the b330-rx.Off the irons i only noticed may be a half of club difference.The spin off short irons were not bad but i liked the 3 piece alot better spin and feel.Seems like a good lower end ball 20 dollar range.I also believe that it would b a great ball for a mid to high handicapper that has trouble hitting it straight.

Make sure you check out the company's response to the distance loss in this thread a few pages back.

I am torn over this one. Yes I have taken gimme's and used mulligans, but I think there is a real difference between that and using a non-conforming ball for a full round. But then I think, what if i found out my Hibore XL was the non-conforming version, would I switch it.... Probably not since I think it likely has no impact on my game... but then again would I have bought it if I knew it was non-conforming? No way.

Or the new groove rule. Am I planning to switch out the Niblicks or CG15? Nope. But then again I can still legally use them as an amateur and by the time they are illegal I will have long ago worn them out.

Clearly they work as advertised. So well done Polara and kudos for letting THP test them out.

But I think I would feel like I would have to put an asterix next to any score I made using them. And I would feel pretty awkward playing them in a group- unless everyone was using the same ball.

I just don't know.

I am torn over this one. Yes I have taken gimme's and used mulligans, but I think there is a real difference between that and using a non-conforming ball for a full round. But then I think, what if i found out my Hibore XL was the non-conforming version, would I switch it.... Probably not since I think it likely has no impact on my game... but then again would I have bought it if I knew it was non-conforming? No way.

Or the new groove rule. Am I planning to switch out the Niblicks or CG15? Nope. But then again I can still legally use them as an amateur and by the time they are illegal I will have long ago worn them out.

Clearly they work as advertised. So well done Polara and kudos for letting THP test them out.

But I think I would feel like I would have to put an asterix next to any score I made using them. And I would feel pretty awkward playing them in a group- unless everyone was using the same ball.

I just don't know.

The Polara balls have been to test but they're not a ball designed for me. However, I do know several golfers who will thoroughly enjoy playing them and will enjoy their rounds more because they will actually be able to play on the short grass. I wouldn't post a round after using these balls but the players I know that I will suggest use this ball could care less about GHIN or any other handicap system as they play less than a dozen times a year.

For testers that have to post every round at their club, so do we. Take the ball to your local muni and give it a swing so there's no conflict with you clu'bs policies. We can't post scores in Kentucky until April 1st. The assistant pro at our club played the Polara with me for a few holes when I told him I was testing the ball and he was amazed at how well they resisted hooking or slicing. He jokingly said the club would probably save thousands of dollars in labor costs if we used them for range balls since picking the balls up be quicker due to them being in the mown areas of the practice range.

Have been reading this thread with interest mainly because i have been trying to think about the conditions under which I might use them and then if others would use them. First off anything that allows people to get out and enjoy the game I am for. I would not use them for all of the same reasons people in this thread have mentioned. I don't bet on golf so outside of tourney conditions I would not even care if somebody we were playing with used them while I did not. I just don't care about stuff like that and prefer people have a way to enjoy the game.

I tried to think about a circumstance where I might use them and almost had myself convinced that I would carry a sleeve for the possibility of a very very bad day when maybe I just could not make anything work and just wanted a way to get back to the clubhouse in one piece. But then I quickly said to myself that no, I would not change to one of these balls to get home but would instead work it out on the course. Things don't get that bad for me anymore anyway. I mean everything is relative and when things go south for me now it tends not to be a full blown, four star, towering inferno disaster movie.

So I think it will be interesting to see how many people actually buy them and play them. I think there will be some resistance even within the audience that should be right in the middle of the bell curve for this product. I hope they do well as it seems to me to be a pretty cool application of technology and a way to keep people enjoying the game. I am sure I will buy a sleeve and take them out to the local muni as was suggested just to see how they work and for the pure fun of it.

I do want to thank Polara for making them available to THP testers even though I was not one of them and I want to thank the testers as well. A great job by all as usual. I am not sure but it sounds like some of the testers are still waiting for them so I guess there are more reviews to come. I look forward to those as well.

Make sure you check out the company's response to the distance loss in this thread a few pages back.

Hey JB have you heard anything else from Polara about our reviews? Just wondering what they are thinking

Ok here's my spin (pun intended) on this ball(s). I took these out yesterday and I was hitting multiple shots with either the standard or the xs vs. an E6. To test the sidespin reducing factors I primarily compared all 3 balls off the tee using my 15 deg 3W. Normally I hit my 3W in the range of 220-230 and the E6 proved that. I also normally hit a draw with a hook as a miss. The Polaras are as advertised. They reduced sidespin as my shots were dead straight. No draw, no hook. Even on a shot where I felt like I cupped the head of the club at impact, instead of a hook it ended up looking like a pull. That's a plus for keeping it safe and not gator bait as a hook would've resulted in that and a +1 penalty on a water ball. When hit though I noticed that the trajectory seemed more like a topspinned ball (as someone eluded to earlier). I compare it to a topspin lob that one would hit in tennis. I believe this is what results in a loss of distance. The fairways were excellent today so roll would not have been the issue and I averaged 200 yds (GPS'd) on the Polaras where I was averaging 215 on the E6 (GPS'd as well). I could see that market for these on players that play with less spin (since I know that I thrive on spin) as well as those that try to fight their swing in orer to be more consistent.

I also hit these at full iron swings and pitching as well as putting. On full iron swings they do react like normal balls where if you need a cut or a draw they do so but just not as pronounced which was expected. Pitching is also the same with a fair bit of roll out so an adjustment would have to be made for folks that expect a check and stop type shot. Putting also felt on par with these as there are no significant issues with roll on this ball.

The biggest item I noticed while playing this ball is feel and how it feels coming off the face of any club, woods through putter. I normally like the feel of a heavier, softer ball that I feel I can compress. I didn't get the same feedback on the Polara. The feel I got was that I was hitting a pebble (and this was consistent through all the clubs) and the ball felt like it pinged off the face which I believe is the reason why I heard a click sound on audible feedback. I much prefer a pop or a crack sound if that's descriptive enough.

Does it do what is advertised? Absolutely. Will it draw a market? I believe so. There in lies the quandary with these balls which I have questioned since I researched them on their website. If you are a beginner that wants to get serious and improve, would you game these balls and hide your deficiencies or would you play a standard ball (whatever it may be) and not hide those deficiencies so you know what part of the game you have to work on? I think for some that just want to go out there and enjoy the game then this is your ball. For those of us that play with the heavy slicer that loses balls left and right and that player just wants to go out there and play we'll thank you for playing this ball. For those players that want to see their deficiencies so they can work on them then this might not be the ball for you. Again, it's a niche market that these balls are aimed that (I believe) and for that I think these balls cover a portion of that that it will do well. I also think that if the target market for these do pickup on these balls it will increase business for rounds played as this will increase enjoyment for those that tend to lose a lot of balls due to slices and hooks. Overall, I think it's a win/win for a lot of folks who jump on board and it brings another option to the table and, in today's game, who doesn't like options.

I want to, again, thank THP and Polara for allowing us to provide a write up on these balls. It speaks very highly of a company that they have enough confidence in their product that they would allow all these folks the ability to dissect their product and provide honest feedback.

Well guys, I know my reviews have been a little sparse, but I have got a round planned for Friday. Big review coming then.

I hit more irons today. I still don't know if it is helping my draw, but I have noticed they are flying a pretty good ways. For some reason, I tend to hit a Urethane ball several yards further with my irons, but these are keeping up with them.

Possible thread jack, but can anyone explain why a Urethane ball would fly further off the irons for me? I don't get it...

Well guys, I know my reviews have been a little sparse, but I have got a round planned for Friday. Big review coming then.

I hit more irons today. I still don't know if it is helping my draw, but I have noticed they are flying a pretty good ways. For some reason, I tend to hit a Urethane ball several yards further with my irons, but these are keeping up with them.

Possible thread jack, but can anyone explain why a Urethane ball would fly further off the irons for me? I don't get it...

Maybe you need more spin, only thing i can think of, urethane balls spin more. Is that the reason, i dont know but its the best i could come up with lol

Does anyone know the page number where the company responded? I have been looking for a while now and can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know the page number where the company responded? I have been looking for a while now and can't seem to find it.

Pg 25 Post #374

Maybe you need more spin, only thing i can think of, urethane balls spin more. Is that the reason, i dont know but its the best i could come up with lol

Now that you mentioned it, my spin off the irons is very low.

I hope to get back out with these Polara balls very quickly. I can't think of a better way to resume my testing of these than with the start of testing with my new SuperFast 2.0 3 wood. Sounds like win win to me.

Just a heads up I will be going through this thread today and tomorrow and I am going to post a list of the people who received golf balls but did not post a review. I sent out about 100 dozen golf balls and as you can tell there are not 100 reviews in here.

I think I may put a second driver in my bag for my upcoming round with these. I have an 11 degree Fusion (the illegal one) with a high launch shaft. I am gonna see if I get better results that way.

Just a heads up I will be going through this thread today and tomorrow and I am going to post a list of the people who received golf balls but did not post a review. I sent out about 100 dozen golf balls and as you can tell there are not 100 reviews in here.

Good idea. I made it out the day they arrived, but weathersgot us back inside now. However, the forcast looks great for getting back at it with these.

Still waiting on mine. Sure hope they arrive Monday.

Cheers!!

Good idea. I made it out the day they arrived, but weathersgot us back inside now. However, the forcast looks great for getting back at it with these.

We certainly understand weather Duey. I think it more pertains to people that are no where to be found in the thread.

I guess before you do I need to post a compilation review of all my findings so far. My little disjointed reviews don't quite qualify, I don't think.

I hope to get back out with these Polara balls very quickly. I can't think of a better way to resume my testing of these than with the start of testing with my new SuperFast 2.0 3 wood. Sounds like win win to me.

It's a good place to start Duey since the company recommends the higher lofts better. I didn't even bother with my driver because I only hit it on some of the 5's and the 3W is where control is key.

But at least you let us know you got it. There are several people who haven't posted anything. Not a "hey just got the golf balls" no pictures, nothing. I hate to be a b!@#H but I am not going to do a testing like this again if people aren't going to post about it. I spent hours upon hours boxing and shipping all those golf balls and I am not going to do that again if I don't get the participation back. It's not the fault of those who have done a great job and I assure you those people will definitely be chosen again for testing but the people with no response will not be included again.

Love all the reviews so far. I have not gotten the balls yet, but I'm sure they will be here monday or tuesday, .... or wednesday depending on customs. They will be put to the test the day they come in.

But at least you let us know you got it. There are several people who haven't posted anything. Not a "hey just got the golf balls" no pictures, nothing. I hate to be a b!@#H but I am not going to do a testing like this again if people aren't going to post about it. I spent hours upon hours boxing and shipping all those golf balls and I am not going to do that again if I don't get the participation back. It's not the fault of those who have done a great job and I assure you those people will definitely be chosen again for testing but the people with no response will not be included again.

I don't think you are being a B%$^$ at all. You spent a lot of time sending those balls out, and if you haven't gotten them yet you can still spend time in the thread asking questions and commenting on the updates.

You aren't being a b!@#H. You just do not want your hard work to go to waste. A perfectly understandable reaction.

Love all the reviews so far. I have not gotten the balls yet, but I'm sure they will be here monday or tuesday, .... or wednesday depending on customs. They will be put to the test the day they come in.

I am hoping the Canadian testers will have their golf balls sometime this week. My rant is not geared toward you all I know you haven't received yours yet.

Back