C_Clark

Reaction score
Handicap
I go to the range and it seems like the alignment sticks are the thing to have these days. I know alignment is something that I need to work on and will help lower my scores but is this training aid really worth it?

I go to the range and it seems like the alignment sticks are the thing to have these days. I know alignment is something that I need to work on and will help lower my scores but is this training aid really worth it?

You can pick them up at Home Depot or Lowes pretty cheap nowadays.

When you say "worth it" I assume you are referring to the cost. They can be found a Lowe's or Home Depot for a few bucks each. No experience with using them myself, but see many at the range and know they are extremely affordable via a home improvement store.

They are worth while for me, but I use mine for everything practice, even putting. Mine came from Lowes

I too use them for almost everything when practicing. I just grabbed too more at Lowes this weekend...they are fiberglass driveway markers and they were $1.75 each.

I use them every time I hit balls. I used to lay down my 3 & 4 iron. But, in a tourney last year, every entrant got a set of alignment sticks.

Best five bucks I ever spent, in my bag at all times!

so ive seen a lot of people talk about these but never seen them in use. How are you implementing them if you dont mind my asking?

I saw a video the other day of Rickie Fowler using them like goal post. He would put them about 5 ft out in front of him and hit through them. He only put them about 6 inches apart. I tried this the other day, but about 1 ft apart and it helped have an aiming lane I was going for. It was going great until I hit the left one and it flew about 10 yds out in to the range. HAHA.

I saw a video the other day of Rickie Fowler using them like goal post. He would put them about 5 ft out in front of him and hit through them. He only put them about 6 inches apart. I tried this the other day, but about 1 ft apart and it helped have an aiming lane I was going for. It was going great until I hit the left one and it flew about 10 yds out in to the range. HAHA.

That actually sounds like a really good idea dmb. How did you stick them into the ground? Do yours have sharp ends?

That actually sounds like a really good idea dmb. How did you stick them into the ground? Do yours have sharp ends?

Mine do. I often put one a dozen feet in front of me and use try to hit left/right of it when working on my shotmaking.

I could defintely see how these would help. Is it illegal to use on the course? I thought about buying a couple doll rods to use.

I have a homemade one just a long wooden stick. It helps me for some reason I have problems lining up with the driver and only the driver.

Yes they have a sharp end. I have the driveway rods from lowes.

so ive seen a lot of people talk about these but never seen them in use. How are you implementing them if you dont mind my asking?

I use mine at a range that is mats only, so I'm limited in terms of being able to put the sticks in the ground. The only way that I can do that is to put them in front of me, like Fowler does as detailed in this thread. The main way that I use them is for my alignment. I usually put one stick on the ground about 2 feet in front of the ball directly on the line that I want to hit the ball, so that I can get my club face aligned correctly, and then have the other stick parallel to my target line and put it between the ball and my feet, mainly to help with my body alignment. I also was having a lot of trouble with my takeaway last year, so I put one of the sticks down about 2 feet behind the ball directly on the target line, and my thought was to have the shaft aimed at the stick on my takeaway as I struggled with taking the club away too much on the inside.

I brought these from Lowes in the section where they sell mailboxes. I found some video online by using google to find out different ways to use these alignment sticks.

Here is a really good video on what you can do with alignment sticks. You obviously don't need to buy these kind cause you can get some cheap ones at homedepot.

Yep, Lowe's has them in orange and yellow, if you looked around you might find another color, but I really did not care about that.

Here is a really good video on what you can do with alignment sticks. You obviously don't need to buy these kind cause you can get some cheap ones at homedepot.

well thats more than i could have asked for! thanks alot. going to try a few of the gate drills - see how small i can get it; i do miss a ton of GIR, maybe this is why

i forever used the alignment sticks from Lowe's. used them on the range every practice session and always with students in a variety of situations.

but then....thatoneguy bought me Pink Tour Sticks for Valentine's Day.

so now....my male students get to use pink tour sticks. bah! they love me.

Back