JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I didnt realize old JD was such a TM lover.

Cool. Weird wedge setup.

Lots of TM gear in there! Would someone like JD get lower lofted gear or would he simply be lowering the lofts on his clubs via the FCT? His driver and 3 wood are lofted a full degree below standard.

I like looking at this guys bag. He seems to change gear a lot. Based off of what I saw of him on his show, I could see him playing MB's because serious golfers "should" play MB's. Maybe that's off base.

8 deg driver. Thats Crazy. I wonder what the difference in distance is between a 9.5 and an 8

Any info on what shafts he is using in the driver and 3w? Thanks!

• Admin
Any info on what shafts he is using in the driver and 3w? Thanks!

No shaft info for this event. He had a Miyazaki Black in his driver earlier in the year.

8 deg driver. Thats Crazy. I wonder what the difference in distance is between a 9.5 and an 8

Well, I'm sure the driver loft is so low because it works best with his swing. In the past, Phil Mickelson has played a driver all they way down to 6.5º I believe. I think Rickie Fowler has his around 7º or something like that. It's all about the types of shots the player wants to make, course conditions, their swing, etc. I guess what I'm getting at is that everyone is different, and we're all just experimenting to find out what works best for ourselves.

8* driver do most pro's swing one that low?

I wouldn't say most but alot of pros swing much lower lofts than us amatuers. It all depends on what loft is giving them optimal launch angles.

Those Cleveland 588 wedges sure do get a lot of tour love.

Not really. They are all over the map from 7* to about 12*.

I wouldn't say most but alot of pros swing much lower lofts than us amatuers. It all depends on what loft is giving them optimal launch angles.

used to be the case, but we see more in that 9-10 range now.

Those Cleveland 588 wedges sure do get a lot of tour love.

Man they sure are.

Daly has always played low-lofted drivers...I think for a while years back he was playing like 5 degree. I seem to remember seeing a video of him hitting a 0 or 1 degree once.

Gaming the 588s is interesting. Since that line is several years old, I wonder if they were already conforming or if Cleveland still produces some of them with new conforming grooves.

Is it just me or is he only using 13 clubs?

I assumed it would say cigarettes, Diet Coke or Big Red, and a TV. I assumed he was playing these tournaments with just a driver and putter by looking at his results. Bazinga

Cleveland is making conforming 588's and from what I understand if you look in the right places you can find them for sale. It's a classic shaped wedge with a great sole for bunker play.

I remember reading an article about JD and that he had more than 30 wedges with different loft and bounce combinations. He is VERY picky about his wedges.

I assumed it would say cigarettes, Diet Coke or Big Red, and a TV. I assumed he was playing these tournaments with just a driver and putter by looking at his results. Bazinga

hahhhahhhaahhahah with a hooters waitress for a caddie !

I hear he's using (from his own Twitter feed) a new Penta TP 332 ball. Anyone know anything about a new Penta ball? That would make sense since all the retailers have dropped the current Penta to 39.99. Usually when this happens another ball is coming down the pipe and they are clearing inventory.

I hear he's using (from his own Twitter feed) a new Penta TP 332 ball. Anyone know anything about a new Penta ball? That would make sense since all the retailers have dropped the current Penta to 39.99. Usually when this happens another ball is coming down the pipe and they are clearing inventory.

Hadn't heard anything yet. That interesting though.

Back