TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

I would but expect (and you should) to drop another $100-$200 on a shaft upgrade. If you don't then there would be no point.

Well I for one had awesome results with the stock Blur shaft in x-flex and if you look back a ways to the beginning of this thread you will see the #'s. I was averaging over 300 yrds with a very nice consistent draw. I even reached out to 333yrds a few times. I think that the Blur is better than most think and they automaticly feel because it is the stock offering it isn't the greatest. I too have ordered a couple different shafts to test ( Aldila rip alpha 70 and Fubuki alpha 70 ) but one thing is for sure they will have to work darn hard to beat the #'s the STOCK BLUR is giving me. I am all for finding the best shaft possible for my swing but is it worth the extra $200 to $300 bucks for a couple extra yards???? I guess I will let you know when the testing is complete.

During my fitting I saw 1st hand that stock shafts are very inconsistent. The stock is very wippy and when clamped down and pulled back the stock shaft started up and down and then left to right and then in a circular motion. It didn't even register. Later once I selected my upgraded shaft we put it in the same machine and it was almost a perfect back and forth. This means to me that the stock shaft even if swung perfectly will cause inconsistencies as the shaft will not respond the same each time. As my fitter said the stock shaft in the R11 is "horrible". I can obviously probably hit a stock spalding shaft and hit it just as far as my custom shaft but I will nowhere be as consistent swing after swing. If your going to spend the $400 on a club might as well get the most out of it. As my fitter said why buy a porshe with bald tires.

Hey and take it from me I was very anti-custom fitting not to long ago.

It's not always about yards. You would be #1 on the PGA tour with those #'s, but as you can see your not so you should maybe put more importance in accuracy. For you I reccommend a fitting. It may be what you need to lower that very good handicap.

During my fitting I saw 1st hand that stock shafts are very inconsistent. The stock is very wippy and when clamped down and pulled back the stock shaft started up and down and then left to right and then in a circular motion. It didn't even register. Later once I selected my upgraded shaft we put it in the same machine and it was almost a perfect back and forth. This means to me that the stock shaft even if swung perfectly will cause inconsistencies as the shaft will not respond the same each time. As my fitter said the stock shaft in the R11 is "horrible". I can obviously probably hit a stock spalding shaft and hit it just as far as my custom shaft but I will nowhere be as consistent swing after swing. If your going to spend the $400 on a club might as well get the most out of it. As my fitter said why buy a porshe with bald tires.

FOR YOU THE STOCK SHAFT WAS INCONSISTENT, i have seen the blur be the best shaft for somebody out of all the TP options, everybody is different.

I would but expect (and you should) to drop another $100-$200 on a shaft upgrade. If you don't then there would be no point.
Total Disagree, no offense. Nothing against spending an extra $200 to get your ball flight lower or higher or hit it an extra 5-7 yds but this driver is the best I've ever hit, even with the stock shaft. That statement is a little unfair to the clubs technology and performance it's producing esp. for me and others. Again, all for people getting the best results one can get with a shaft upgrade but let's be fair, this driver is kicking some major ass right off the shelf!

Well I could be wrong but any shaft whether it is stock or upgraded can benifit from being spined!!! This is what was causing the stock shaft to wobble side to side. If it was perfectly spined (which I am sure doesn't happen on a high volume production product) it would have rebounded perfectly straight up and down as well. And I am sure all the upgraded shafts in the fitting carts are spined to optimize the fittings. That being said there is no way to prove that the upgrade shaft you order from TM is going to be spined as well. I had a aldila shaft in my last driver that wasn't spined and i hit it prefectly fine. Then after a season I decided I would have it done and to be honest I did see a difference in accuracy but not huge.

This is a tough room - I say getting fit is a waste of time one day and everyone jumps on me. I then admit I was wrong and now preach getting fit and now the R11 stock shaft is the greatest shaft of all time.

STOCK SHAFTS ARE NOT WELL MADE AND YOUR NOT GETTING THE MOST OF YOUR PURCHASE

It's not always about yards. You would be #1 on the PGA tour with those #'s, but as you can see your not so you should maybe put more importance in accuracy. For you I reccommend a fitting. It may be what you need to lower that very good handicap.

I agree with you distance isn't as important as accuracy ... and I don't remember saying I had accuracy problems. Infact I am quite happy with the way I drive the ball. And thanks for the tips on lowering my handicap but where I need work is not off the tee!!! lolol

Since we're on the subject, if one did get a different shaft in the R11, does the reg R11 and TP version fit with the same shafts or are they different?

This is a tough room - I say getting fit is a waste of time one day and everyone jumps on me. I then admit I was wrong and now preach getting fit and now the R11 stock shaft is the greatest shaft of all time.

You are completely mis understanding this. A stock shaft for you could be wrong but that same stock shaft for me could be perfect. We are not arguing about not getting fit, in fact we all agree he/you/she/everyone should get fit. However just because you get fit does not mean that shaft will be a upgraded $200 dollar shaft. it could be the stock shaft. It all depends on the person.

Since we're on the subject, if one did get a different shaft in the R11, does the reg R11 and TP version fit with the same shafts or are they different?

The heads are the same in the regular and Tp versions so the shafts fit fine in either.

Question for the room - Let's say there are about 250-300 golfers that play weekly (European, PGA, Champions and Nationwide). What percent of those golfers are using stock shafts?

Question for the room - Let's say there are about 250-300 golfers that play weekly (European, PGA, Champions and Nationwide). What percent of those golfers are using stock shafts?

Your still completely missing the point. We are not saying the stock shaft is the greatest thing ever, simply that it could work for some while it doesnt work for others. Get what we're trying to tell you now?

Yes of course - I just said $100-$200 (my buddy that was with me paid $50 for the upgrade) as that is not a bad expectation to have and will give you sometime prior to making your purchase to think about what could happen. It's always good to be prepared. Stock shafts though are very poor and you could probably find the same attributes in a premium shaft that will result in a greater consistency.

Probably all the ones that the stock shaft is perfect for!!! The rest may need a different brand shaft to fit their swing. Lets put it this way what if the stock shaft wasn't the blur and TM didn't get a great deal from Fujikura for them?? Lets say it was Fubuki and that was the stock shaft!!! I guess then because it is the stock shaft the others would be better than it as well??? I think the STOCK SHAFT has more to do with pricing than quality sometimes.

a6898e62-b66b-232a.jpg

That's a big 4 wood off the deck for me.

Tap before talk.

Yes of course - I just said $100-$200 (my buddy that was with me paid $50 for the upgrade) as that is not a bad expectation to have and will give you sometime prior to making your purchase to think about what could happen. It's always good to be prepared. Stock shafts though are very poor and you could probably find the same attributes in a premium shaft that will result in a greater consistency.

How many stock shafts did you actually hit in your fitting? Im guessing just the blur?
I know for a fact that there is a stock Miyazaki shaft in the cleveland drivers that are very far from poor.

Just so you know, im not trying to be a jerk just carrying on conversation. Dont want anyone to get pissed here.

I think that is because your "absolute" statements. First you came and said fitting was a waste and then a week later jumped into fitting when you realized just how important it is.

Stock shafts in some cases are not well made and other times are very well made. I can think of a couple of standard shafts that are some of the best in the world off the top of my head.

In the end, the only thing that makes ANYTHING junk is if it does not fit YOUR swing. There is a shaft for everybody and what works for some will not work for others. The "absolute" statements are just flat out incorrect.

Why would I spend more money on a premium shaft that has the same attributes as the stock shaft? I'm sorry but from all the stock shafts that I have played I never found them to be inconsistent. They were either not suited for me or they were suited for me.

I bet that if 100 people went to a good fitter there would maybe be 3 people (if that) that would walk away saying (and fitter saying) the stock shaft was the best option. That is 3%. In this room though it seems that # jumps to 60-75%. On the tours it's probably 0%.

I feel pretty good in saying that I am right with this one (for once).

JB, how many tour pros use stock shafts? I will rely on your knowledge on this one and won't research.

Thanks.

I can think of QUITE a few that are playing standard shafts in their drivers. Ever heard of Miyazaki?

You are grouping all shafts together based on the word stock which is insane. This is the same absolute statement you made about fittings. What I find comical is that two weeks ago you said fittings were a waste and now you are basing everything this fitter said as gospel. That is irony right there.

Agree 100%. You are the one that changed me. I'm not afraid to admit it - I was wrong. It seems though more people then there probably should be think this stock shaft is the best and by percentage I find it hard to believe.

Agree 100%. You are the one that changed me. I'm not afraid to admit it - I was wrong. It seems though more people then there probably should be think this stock shaft is the best and by percentage I find it hard to believe.

I dont think ANYBODY has said the stock shaft is perfect or the best shaft out there. However a few have found it is the best for their swing.

Back