TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Has anyone heard that they (Taylormade) tweaked the head a little right after the initial release in response to complaints about feel?

Yes this is true. They changed the weighting and made it lighter.

JB, I know you love the 3 wood and are slowly warming up the driver. I'm just making sure that this initial success with the 4 wood wouldn't even remotely correlate to potential success with the driver, right? I love the smaller head and the sound - I'm just curious of similarities/differences between the two, aside from the obvious

Tap before talk.

I know many will say they are the same line, but I find them to be very different clubs personally.

Has anyone heard that they (Taylormade) tweaked the head a little right after the initial release in response to complaints about feel?

Yes this is true. They changed the weighting and made it lighter.

What he said.

I hit the R11 off the tee as much as possible yesterday. That's something that I normally don't do. I like course management. I like to play to the 150 marker most of the time, but it was my first round with the white beast so I was pretty excited. Plus, this course is LOOOONNNGGGG, like biggsy long, so it was appropriate to hit the R11 a good amount. First few shots, I aimed up the right side, b/c I typically cut the ball, and boom! the dreaded straight ball. This happened for about the first 3 holes until I decided to just trust the fact that this driver is a straight shooting cannon.

The Fubuki/9* head offer a great ball flight for me. I'm still contemplating opening up the face just a hair and dropping the loft a bit to lower my flight just a smidge but I don't tinker whilst playing. The club doesn't feel much heavier to me than my R9, but I wasn't out there comparing them to one another either. I quite like the sound off the driver to be honest. It's beefy sounding, like you know you've hit a golf ball for sure.

I struggled a bit with the driver mid way through my round. I started noticing that I was hitting more shots closer to the heel, in fact, for a guy who's typical miss is out near the toe, I don't think I've come remotely close to the toe on this driver. If anything, I'm missing more near the heel which makes my brain go into over-drive. Do I need to move the 10g weight from the heel to the toe? I won't know until I tinker.

The good news is, I got into a lovely little groove on my last 9 holes of the day. I had what I call a break through. For me, this driver isn't receptive to being over powered. When I focused on a good smooth back swing, setting the club and the top, and then just fire'ing from there, much better results. I have a tendency to get quick in the transition from the top of my swing to my downswing, thus causing an unintentional shortening of my swing. When I really just thought to myself "smooth, long and even" swings, much better contact and conversely, incredible results. It's amazing how much better this driver is when you are hitting the ball in the center of the club face.

All in all, I shot a 79 on my 18 holes, then came back and shot 1 over on the additional 9 holes. Not bad for my first time out with a new driver. I cannot wait to get some serious range time in with this driver.

I hit the R11 off the tee as much as possible yesterday. That's something that I normally don't do. I like course management. I like to play to the 150 marker most of the time, but it was my first round with the white beast so I was pretty excited. Plus, this course is LOOOONNNGGGG, like biggsy long, so it was appropriate to hit the R11 a good amount. First few shots, I aimed up the right side, b/c I typically cut the ball, and boom! the dreaded straight ball. This happened for about the first 3 holes until I decided to just trust the fact that this driver is a straight shooting cannon.

The Fubuki/9* head offer a great ball flight for me. I'm still contemplating opening up the face just a hair and dropping the loft a bit to lower my flight just a smidge but I don't tinker whilst playing. The club doesn't feel much heavier to me than my R9, but I wasn't out there comparing them to one another either. I quite like the sound off the driver to be honest. It's beefy sounding, like you know you've hit a golf ball for sure.

I struggled a bit with the driver mid way through my round. I started noticing that I was hitting more shots closer to the heel, in fact, for a guy who's typical miss is out near the toe, I don't think I've come remotely close to the toe on this driver. If anything, I'm missing more near the heel which makes my brain go into over-drive. Do I need to move the 10g weight from the heel to the toe? I won't know until I tinker.

The good news is, I got into a lovely little groove on my last 9 holes of the day. I had what I call a break through. For me, this driver isn't receptive to being over powered. When I focused on a good smooth back swing, setting the club and the top, and then just fire'ing from there, much better results. I have a tendency to get quick in the transition from the top of my swing to my downswing, thus causing an unintentional shortening of my swing. When I really just thought to myself "smooth, long and even" swings, much better contact and conversely, incredible results. It's amazing how much better this driver is when you are hitting the ball in the center of the club face.

All in all, I shot a 79 on my 18 holes, then came back and shot 1 over on the additional 9 holes. Not bad for my first time out with a new driver. I cannot wait to get some serious range time in with this driver.

Nice write up TC

Great stuff TC. I guess I need to work out or something. This driver feels very heavy to me

Great write up TC. I think this driver definitely needs range time in the beginning. It just has so much possibilities to it and it takes time to dial those in. I am even thinking about hiring a local TM fitter with a launch monitor to help dial mine in perfectly. Just so I am not out there guess and checking around.

Great write up TC. I think this driver definitely needs range time in the beginning. It just has so much possibilities to it and it takes time to dial those in. I am even thinking about hiring a local TM fitter with a launch monitor to help dial mine in perfectly. Just so I am not out there guess and checking around.

You know, that's not a bad idea at all. I may reserve some time at the local GOlfUSA in order to get on his vector, make some changes and look for optimal #'s for myself as well.

Let us know if you go that route, and keep us posted.

You know, that's not a bad idea at all. I may reserve some time at the local GOlfUSA in order to get on his vector, make some changes and look for optimal #'s for myself as well.

Let us know if you go that route, and keep us posted.

They only charge $75 so I think it would be worth the price in the long run. A least it seems like a fitting by the Kingdom Winners is the way to go.

I played the R11 for the first time Sunday and I struggled mightily with it. I had range time Saturday with it and struggled then too, so Sunday was no surprise. I guess I can blame my driver swing since its pretty poor at this point. I like the white color. I like the Fubuki shaft. This thing has options when it comes to the adjustments but it just wasnt working for me. I felt like I just wasnt getting around on it. My miss was high and right with the R11. As a result I didnt use driver much Sunday as I was just scared of losing it out right. For me and my game I think this might be just a tad too much a players driver. I dont see the forgiveness that I need in the R11. Im going to try it again next time at the range and see what happens.

I played the R11 for the first time Sunday and I struggled mightily with it. I had range time Saturday with it and struggled then too, so Sunday was no surprise. I guess I can blame my driver swing since its pretty poor at this point. I like the white color. I like the Fubuki shaft. This thing has options when it comes to the adjustments but it just wasnt working for me. I felt like I just wasnt getting around on it. My miss was high and right with the R11. As a result I didnt use driver much Sunday as I was just scared of losing it out right. For me and my game I think this might be just a tad too much a players driver. I dont see the forgiveness that I need in the R11. Im going to try it again next time at the range and see what happens.

Did you get a chance to mess around with the adjustments, Kevin?

Did you get a chance to mess around with the adjustments, Kevin?

I did change it a bit on the range Saturday but not Sunday. I lowered the loft down and closed the face. But I think the Indian needs to go back to hunting lessons with the bow. :-(

I hear you dude.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I hear ya... I was tinkering for about 4 range sessions when I had my eureka moment with the R11. It was born out of finding a good setting for me and from becoming comfortable with hitting the club.

I hear ya... I was tinkering for about 4 range sessions when I had my eureka moment with the R11. It was born out of finding a good setting for me and from becoming comfortable with hitting the club.

What setting worked out for you looper?

great write up big bro....sounds to me like the paint is performing!!!!

The R11 7 - Wood I am testing has pushed one of my favorite hybrids out of the bag. Not just because it's my job to do a long term review on this wood, but because how it is performing. This is no doubt the honeymoon phase with the 7 - wood and we all go through that with new clubs. This little club inspires confidence when I'm over the ball. The white head was something I was not sure would fit my eye. It does not bother me at all and in fact it has grown on me. Have I hit some awkward shots, yep you going to do that. I have had a couple push shots to the right and that was before I changed the club to the open position. When I initially took it to the course it was in the standard neutral position. I had some really quack hooks as did one of my low handicapper friends. I changed my target to the far right side to combat the hook and pushed a couple of shots right with a block swing. The next nine holes my wife brought a R9 wrench and the setting was adjusted to the open setting. That was what I needed and the club has performed very well for me. I have hit some low hot draws but they were in the fairway with a ton of roll out. I think some of the low shots I have hit are a result of adjusting to the longer club as hybrids have been my weapon of choice.The normal trajectory for this club is a nice booming high flight that is awesome. In the past while using a fairway wood I had a tendency to hit on top of the ball. No doubt it was a swing flaw but also contributed by not liking the longer shaft in FW woods. The R11 7 - wood is quickly winning me over. Off the tee I could play this thing on any short par four with confidence. Heck in fact I love hitting it off par fives so I get to hit it again on my next shot. I am loving this little beast!

Reactions: TC
Great write up Gray! Sounds like this is working for you already!
The R11 7 - Wood I am testing has pushed one of my favorite hybrids out of the bag. Not just because it's my job to do a long term review on this wood, but because how it is performing. This is no doubt the honeymoon phase with the 7 - wood and we all go through that with new clubs. This little club inspires confidence when I'm over the ball. The white head was something I was not sure would fit my eye. It does not bother me at all and in fact it has grown on me. Have I hit some awkward shots, yep you going to do that. I have had a couple push shots to the right and that was before I changed the club to the open position. When I initially took it to the course it was in the standard neutral position. I had some really quack hooks as did one of my low handicapper friends. I changed my target to the far right side to combat the hook and pushed a couple of shots right with a block swing. The next nine holes my wife brought a R9 wrench and the setting was adjusted to the open setting. That was what I needed and the club has performed very well for me. I have hit some low hot draws but they were in the fairway with a ton of roll out. I think some of the low shots I have hit are a result of adjusting to the longer club as hybrids have been my weapon of choice.The normal trajectory for this club is a nice booming high flight that is awesome. In the past while using a fairway wood I had a tendency to hit on top of the ball. No doubt it was a swing flaw but also contributed by not liking the longer shaft in FW woods. The R11 7 - wood is quickly winning me over. Off the tee I could play this thing on any short par four with confidence. Heck in fact I love hitting it off par fives so I get to hit it again on my next shot. I am loving this little beast!

Nice review TC. Don't you hate it when you allow for the miss and don't miss, lol. Thats what I was going through with the SF yesterday off the tee, until I started trusting it. Are you saying you actually look for the sensation of stopping at the top of your back swing? That helped me a lot last year when I started getting out on the toe and fanning my R9, but someone told me thats a sign of the shaft needing a bit stiffer tip? I have no idea why the stop would help unless it resets the face some how, but it helped.

nice write up Gray, its kind of fun to be able to just change the settings to fix our flaws...I do it with my driver all the time. I am happy for you that you have found a good fwy wood! keep it up

Great job Gray. I've never hit a 7w so this is really interesting. Did you try any tape on the face to see where you where hitting it?

Nice review TC. Don't you hate it when you allow for the miss and don't miss, lol. Thats what I was going through with the SF yesterday off the tee, until I started trusting it. Are you saying you actually look for the sensation of stopping at the top of your back swing? That helped me a lot last year when I started getting out on the toe and fanning my R9, but someone told me thats a sign of the shaft needing a bit stiffer tip? I have no idea why the stop would help unless it resets the face some how, but it helped.

Yeah, I suppose I am trying to find that sensation of stopping at the top (without actually stopping). I just get quick duey, and getting quick kills me. It makes me inconsistent with my direction. When I'm smoothing it back and through, I'm a much better ball striker, and i'm finding that I'm actually hitting the ball further due to it.

Ok, so all the talk last night about stock shafts vs premium shafts got me thinking about a shaft change and what it "could" do for me and the R11. I am going to call up GolfTec today and schedule an hour with their staff to try out the different shafts to see what it really does for me and the club. I've also wanted to record my numbers for the driver (swing speed, balll speed, spin, etc.) so for $100 what the heck. Gonna try and do it tomorrow so will post the results when completed.

Nice write up TC, interesting that your misses are a little towards the heel now, is the shaft longer than your Miyazaki, or perhaps a different weight? Great that you shot a 79 on your first round with it though, that says a lot right there on a Biggsy type course.
Good stuff Gray, I know how hard it must feel to drop a beloved hybrid, but its great that it is now working for you. I've never personally hit a 7 wood ever, so I am very interested to see how you like it as the testing goes on.

First few shots, I aimed up the right side, b/c I typically cut the ball, and boom! the dreaded straight ball. This happened for about the first 3 holes until I decided to just trust the fact that this driver is a straight shooting cannon.

Same here! I did like to play a little 10-15yd cut so am slowly adjusting my line a bit more down the fairway. Crazy!

Great write up Gray! Sounds like this is working for you already!

nice write up Gray, its kind of fun to be able to just change the settings to fix our flaws...I do it with my driver all the time. I am happy for you that you have found a good fwy wood! keep it up

Great job Gray. I've never hit a 7w so this is really interesting. Did you try any tape on the face to see where you where hitting it?

Good stuff Gray, I know how hard it must feel to drop a beloved hybrid, but its great that it is now working for you. I've never personally hit a 7 wood ever, so I am very interested to see how you like it as the testing goes on.

Thanks guys and the long term journey with the TM 7 - wood with be interesting to say the least. I was honestly hoping for a 3 or 4 wood to test but now, I have made a new friend with the TM 7 - wood. It could be a lifetime friend :thumb:

Due -- The tape is a great idea! KellyBo has some in her bag. Her coach gave it to her at her last lesson and it shows where the ball is struck on the face. I will use some on my next round.

Back