joining a club or staying public

Another quick question. What are the items that you can most likely negotiate down? Is there anything that is pretty set in stone at most clubs?

you can probably negotiate the initiation fee, club amenitites (driving range fees, fitness centers, pools, locker), guest passes.

most monthyl fees are set in stone

I'm facing a similar situation to this, although I'm in a slightly different position. I live in rural southern Iowa. My local course is a par 31. I think the Blue Monster this weekend had a par 3 that was the same length as one of our par 4s. We've lost over 1/3 of our membership in the past 10 years, and the course condition has just gone to total crap. Last year, we were plagued by crab grass....on a golf course.

So, I'm jumping ship. The problem I have is that the next closest town with a golf course in any direction is 20 miles minimum. However, we also have the benefit of a championship grade course about 35-40 minutes away. I'm going to 'test' it out and see how much I hate the drive. I can do a men's league there. It's $50 annual league due plus $15 for every time I play in the 9-hole league event. If i don't play, I don't pay the $15. Seems like a minimal investment compared to the $60 green fees for 18 w/cart.

I'm also debating getting a driving range pass there. $200 for unlimited year round. It's the only driving range within 60 miles. It's not whether I would use it, it's whether I want to drive 35-40 minutes each way to get there.

if it was my in the same situation i would join the private club as it seems like a better option

Since I am single and it's cheap, I will join my normal club. I can play almost everyday there. Then when I want to play a different course I just go. I get cheap prices on rounds through an auction.

This has been on my mind a great deal lately. There is a local club about 15 minutes from me that is affordable (compared to many others), hosts the qualifiers for the John Deere Classic, and is pretty highly regarded. On the other hand, I have a public course about 35 minutes away that I like and it is cheaper. I thought buying a new vehicle pretty much ended any hopes I had in joining the club.

Well, I was talking to Erica last night about it and she pretty much figured out a way for me to afford it by using a little peice of our tax money. Going to call them today so I can go tour the place!

It doesn't have all the family ammenities - ie pool, tennis - that some other clubs do, but the course is supposed to be really nice, really challenging, and I have a few friends that belong there. For lack of a better word - yippee.

This has been on my mind a great deal lately. There is a local club about 15 minutes from me that is affordable (compared to many others), hosts the qualifiers for the John Deere Classic, and is pretty highly regarded. On the other hand, I have a public course about 35 minutes away that I like and it is cheaper. I thought buying a new vehicle pretty much ended any hopes I had in joining the club.

Well, I was talking to Erica last night about it and she pretty much figured out a way for me to afford it by using a little peice of our tax money. Going to call them today so I can go tour the place!

It doesn't have all the family ammenities - ie pool, tennis - that some other clubs do, but the course is supposed to be really nice, really challenging, and I have a few friends that belong there. For lack of a better word - yippee.

Does it have a good practice area? I hope this happens for you man.

Does it have a good practice area? I hope this happens for you man.

I believe so, but I need to go make sure. I know they have a big range, but I'm not sure what the short game area is like. It's changed greatly since I was there last.

im switching clubs this year, last year was my first, nice experience, but sort of out of the way. The play im joining now is literally 5 minutes from my house, has 227 holes, Donal Ross designed and if my lazy ass can walk every now and then, should be under $2K with the pool, count me in

That's a good price, mike. I figure I'll pretend I'm going to walk so I can justify the cost and then lazy out about 2 weeks into the season.

That's a good price, mike. I figure I'll pretend I'm going to walk so I can justify the cost and then lazy out about 2 weeks into the season.

thats what I did last year lol, wife called me out on it for this year, so i agreed to at least half of the rounds there to be walked...we'll see how long that lasts

Joining a club was the best thing I did last year, so congrats Hawk and MikeD on your new digs.

very cool Hawk. Is it exclusively private or is it semi-private(meaning public is welcome)?
The place I joined this year gets more play than the course I've been a member at for basically my whole life. I'm a little worried about that, but the course is bigger and has a range.

It's private, but you can bring guests. Waiting to hear back from them right now since they only have limited winter hours. I follow them on FB and they've 'liked' our reviews in the past, so I guess it was meant to be.

It's private, but you can bring guests. Waiting to hear back from them right now since they only have limited winter hours. I follow them on FB and they've 'liked' our reviews in the past, so I guess it was meant to be.

that's cool, hope it works out for you.

Good for you Hawk! I've been a member at a club for the last 2 years and really like it. Don't use it as much as I would like with 3 kiddos running around but it's great when I do! Perfect example. I play in a standing Sat. morning golf group each week. About 30 guys play in the group off and on. You let the guys know at the beginning of the week if your in or not. Well, we have an MGA 2 man event in 2 weeks. The guys that I normally play with or ask to play in MGA events were not available. I emailed the group asking if anyone was looking for a partner and got 5 replies back! Ended up picking a guy that I've played with before and is about my handicap. So should be a good matchup! Advantage of having that membership!

Thanks man. I have a feeling I'm going to put up some high scores at first. It's rated at 71. something and 137 from the Blue tees at 6500 yards. It has a monster 600 yard par 5 with water in front of the green. Hopefully it doesn't take long to be a home course hero haha

Dumb question. Do most of you club memebers not make tee times?

No we make Tee times, and sometimes we reserve an entire block of time for like 3 months. For instance the group I play with on saturday mornings, we have all the tee times from 8:30-10:30 booked for the next 3 months.

I'm not sure how they do it here. I know some around here don't really use tee times since they don't need to.

Our club is at max right now so you do need a tee time unless you walk out during the week and there is no function going on. But weekends, yes, tee times are a must. They have a call center that starts taking calls at 7am Wed morning for Sat times and 7am Thurs morning for Sun times. First come first serve. But our Sat. morning group pretty much has 4-5 standing times at 9am because the guys that started it have been around the club for a very long time.

I'm not sure how they do it here. I know some around here don't really use tee times since they don't need to.
Thats true, I can show up and play whenever I want and we will get out and play, but as you start to make friends at the club and playing partners you start to get into weekly games or guys you like to play with and you start booking your times.

If you are going to the club as a single when you first start you don't need to make tee times, the club will get you out there

at my old course I usually didn't. Saturday mornings I would just go over around 7:30 and meet up with other members and play. Sometimes I'd stay all day and play 36 or more. Sunday mornings I would make a time because they would get a lot of play then. During the week I'd just go over whenever, it was only about 4 blocks away from my place.

At this new place I will have to make times on the weekend, but we have preferred tee times.

Right on. Thanks for the info guys. I have a few buddies that belong, so I suppose I'll just do what they do.

Thats true, I can show up and play whenever I want and we will get out and play, but as you start to make friends at the club and playing partners you start to get into weekly games or guys you like to play with and you start booking your times.

If you are going to the club as a single when you first start you don't need to make tee times, the club will get you out there

solid info there Breezy. I'm kind of nervous about meeting new members to play with. I had been playing with the same group of guys for the last 3+ years.

At my last place I did maybe 2 times, they drew for tee times the thursday prior. I just sually played weekend afternoons with no issues.

The new place has permanent weekend tee times from 7:30 to 9:30 then no one else goes out again until noon which helps with pace of play...when it comes time, I doubt I get a tee time there either cause Im moer of a afternoon golfer

Back