Cleveland Launcher Ultralite Driver & FW

As this thread kept coming up on my new posts screen, I always dismissed it and thought "Ha, I dont think Cleveland interests me that much." but as I kept reading this thread and reading responses, I am going to get out of my brand obsession and give Cleveland a shot. I just pictured myself this summer with a nice light cleveland driver in my hands and me just bombing em. It just felt right and I am looking to go light weight this year. I am really excited to try this driver. When I go to golf town when I'm in the market I'm walking into the store and grabbing the 270 and the SF 2.0. I am really pumped that the stock shaft is a Miyazaki. I just grabbed one of these and held it up in the store yesterday and said "Wow."

I'm giving Cleveland a shot.

As this thread kept coming up on my new posts screen, I always dismissed it and thought "Ha, I dont think Cleveland interests me that much." but as I kept reading this thread and reading responses, I am going to get out of my brand obsession and give Cleveland a shot. I just pictured myself this summer with a nice light cleveland driver in my hands and me just bombing em. It just felt right and I am looking to go light weight this year. I am really excited to try this driver. When I go to golf town when I'm in the market I'm walking into the store and grabbing the 270 and the SF 2.0. I am really pumped that the stock shaft is a Miyazaki. I just grabbed one of these and held it up in the store yesterday and said "Wow."

Try all 3 of them Dent.

Dude I like it. Im curious to hear your thoughts on the 270.

If the 270 doesn't feel exactly right when you swing it, defnitely give the 290 a try. I actually liked the 290 over the 270 myself.

I've hit all 3, like them all but the 270 and 290 would require a driver shootout to fine tune them.

Who's had a chance to work with the FW? I'm seriously contemplating a weak 3W or 5W

Edited, weak 3W instead of nonextant 4

Try all 3 of them Dent.

I think I will. I'm just curious concerning the different weights, is it just a feel thing for everyone or were some golfers seeing different shot dispersions. I can assume they saw lower trajectories but with a driver too light is the possibility of sprayed drives greater? I guess what I'm asking is what are the consequences of a driver that is too light?

Dude I like it. Im curious to hear your thoughts on the 270.

I will for sure be posting in this thread in the next coming weeks on my results.

If the 270 doesn't feel exactly right when you swing it, defnitely give the 290 a try. I actually liked the 290 over the 270 myself.

What did you find different with the 290 over the 270 besides weight? Greater consistency? Better numbers?

I will for sure be posting in this thread in the next coming weeks on my results.

What did you find different with the 290 over the 270 besides weight? Greater consistency? Better numbers?

Dent - My personal thought is the 290 feels better with a bit heavier shaft (43 gram) and overall balance. I love the trajectory for me as it gives a nice mid high ball flight. It would be good if you could hit the three models side by side to get the right one. Good luck!

I think I will. I'm just curious concerning the different weights, is it just a feel thing for everyone or were some golfers seeing different shot dispersions. I can assume they saw lower trajectories but with a driver too light is the possibility of sprayed drives greater? I guess what I'm asking is what are the consequences of a driver that is too light?

I didn't hit the 270 well at all. The spin rate was much higher too if I remember right. My launch monitor numbers were much better with the 290. I didn't try the 310 but I did try different flexes and lofts in the 270/290 and ended up with best numbers for my swing speed in the 290 reg flex. If I had hit only the 270, I would have been disappointed. Everyone's swing is just so different so I agree that you should really test them all out and find the one that is right for you.

The tech fitting me wrote down launch monitor numbers on several balls for each driver I hit. The SL290 numbers were very consistent and in the recommended range for my swing speed. The rest of the numbers were way off.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess that gives me a little bit of an idea going in when I test them. I guess the 270 isn't looking too promising as with the SF 2.0 I had spin rates in the 4000's which is wayy to extreme for a driver. I am actually really excited to try these ones out now.

I went by Dick's sporting goods last night to look at this club and I have to say that I was impressed!

They only had the sl290 and 270 though and I would really like to see the 310 as I have read that the 310 is better for working the ball.

I do not know if that is the greatest plan because I havent played much in a year, however, once I get my swing back(it peaked its head this weekend on the range) I think I would really enjoy a club like the 310.

I am also interested in the 910 and srixon but the srixon I am not going to be able to test out as no one in town has them and the 910 looks really nice but the gold miyazaki seems to keep calling my name!

AND to be honest, I like being able to buy a club that I can adjust for how I am playing...but at the same time my attitude has changed to see that if I am not hitting as good as I was the day before I should focus on my swing...not the club

I think the cleveland can deliver on that.

Dent, I had the chance to try all 3 with the stock C. Kua shafts as well as the 290 and 310 with the Kusala Black 83x. I definitely noticed a difference in shot dispersion between each of the weights. The 270 was definitely not for me as it felt much too light for me and I was having a very hard time controlling my shot shape. With the 83x in the 290 (9*) and 310 (10.5*) I was noticing a slight difference in shot dispersion. Part of that was the difference in loft, but I also felt like I was able to make more consistent contact with the 310.

As everyone has said, definitely give all 3 a shot and see which one works best. I know you're going to love at least one of them enough to take it home!

I had alittle more distance from the 270 (3-5 yards), but on overall shot consistency the 290 was far better for me. If I didn't have a wedding coming up next month that is proving to be a vampire and sucking up all my cash, I'd have bagged the 290 on the spot in GG.

Take this for whats its worth, cuz I suck with the driver and have a wicked slice that results in lots of OBs. I switched to the 290 last round and only hit one out of bounds during the round which is a record for me. The rest were fairway or short rough. Its the first time in a long time I havent started out with the driver and then switched to a 3W at some point out of frustration. So far, so good....

I am hoping to buy me a new set of Clevelands this year. I just hope they are as good as the old ones i have.

My son came to our course's demo day today and our rep put him on the launch monitor. He was hitting his Diablo driver with a carry of 259 average. After a little bit of testing and fitting, he was fitted to the TL310 9° stiff shaft and was carrying it an average of 278 yards. He has the smoothest swing and doesn't even go back that far. He also fell in love with the 15° 3 wood with the 59g shaft and the CG16 tour irons. His order has been placed.

Last edited:
Cleveland XL 270 Driver

Cleveland XL 270 Driver

Anyone using the new Cleveland XL 270 driver?

I tried it at the Ping Demo day and picked up since nice carry yardage.

Look forward to hearing back.

Nice video Kelly, I'm really liking the sound of that driver. Even with the video camera it sounds slightly muted but still sounds great.

Anyone using the new Cleveland XL 270 driver?

I tried it at the Ping Demo day and picked up since nice carry yardage.

Look forward to hearing back.

Merged this with a rather lengthy thread on this driver. Tons of opinions on them in here.

I need to spend some time with a Cleveland driver at demo day. I've hit the 290 before but it had a Regular flex shaft in it and that's just not a good option for me.

Thanks to the reviews on this forum about the new Cleveland equipment (Ultralite Drivers, FL Fairway Woods and Mashies) and especially the information on the Miyazaki shafts, I recently changed to all Cleveland (from TM). I have the XL 270 Draw Driver, 17 Degree 3 Wood and #2 & #4 Mashies. I may still be in the honeymoon period but I have hit more good shots with each the last three weeks than I had hit with my TM equipment since last fall. Living in sunny Tucson I get to play 6 times per month. I am finding each club to go farther, straighter and easier to hit. I believe it has a lot to do with the Miyazaki shafts. I am fairly new to reading THP everyday and do not post unless I have something worth saying. But to add to the thread on testers, it was those reviews that led me to make my recent Cleveland purchases. Cleveland does not have the "name" that the other guys have. But the insightful reviews made me take a second look -- and I am glad I did.

Congrats on all the new gear! Looking forward to your thoughts after you've had them for awhile.

Thanks to the reviews on this forum about the new Cleveland equipment (Ultralite Drivers, FL Fairway Woods and Mashies) and especially the information on the Miyazaki shafts, I recently changed to all Cleveland (from TM). I have the XL 270 Draw Driver, 17 Degree 3 Wood and #2 & #4 Mashies. I may still be in the honeymoon period but I have hit more good shots with each the last three weeks than I had hit with my TM equipment since last fall. Living in sunny Tucson I get to play 6 times per month. I am finding each club to go farther, straighter and easier to hit. I believe it has a lot to do with the Miyazaki shafts. I am fairly new to reading THP everyday and do not post unless I have something worth saying. But to add to the thread on testers, it was those reviews that led me to make my recent Cleveland purchases. Cleveland does not have the "name" that the other guys have. But the insightful reviews made me take a second look -- and I am glad I did.

I am continuing to improve my driving using the 290.. I havent had one feel this good for me before. I have more confidence at the teebox and it feels almost like when I mishit it or swing poorly that the shaft picks up the slack for me. I cant really explain it, but its a great feeling.

Back