TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Spent some range time with these and wanted to write it up as I was working on something in particular that I found interesting. Hard grass and tight lies.

Some speak about wider soles and thinner soles and what works for the eye, but rarely discuss turf interaction between the two and what makes them different. So I decided to take the 9 iron from this set and the 9 iron from the Ping G15 set to the local range that has some different types of hitting areas.

Mats - Both performed rather well. The CBs offered clean hitting and an impact sound that was incredibly nice and put off a great feel. The miss with the G15 was when coming in a little heavy and hitting what would amount to a heavy shot showed the sole of the club "bouncing" off the mats indicating I was hitting the ball thin. VERY THIN. Leaving low shots that were in essence skulled.

Wet Grass/Heavy Grass - The CBs leading edge got a little messy here with the wet grass as it had a tendency to dig quickly (for my swing) leaving a few shots short of their target. The G15s did not suffer from the same "bounce" type of issues off the mats here and while they slid in to the thicker grass and wet grass in a similar fashion, the thicker top line and mass behind the ball on the higher grooves provided a forgiveness that is not really available in the CBs to that extent.

Tight lies/Hard Fairways - The CBs shined once again here in comparison and it showed virtually identical findings to that of the mats. The CBs slid through the turf with perfect interaction and did not have any struggles. The thicker sole of the G15s gave me a bounce off the turf on 2-3 occasions that left a thin shot.

I expected something similar but in all honesty, not to this extent. The forgiveness of the thicker and larger iron excelled in the trouble areas (like it should), but provided an issue or two with the very tight lies offered in some fairways.

I believe the reviewers at Golf.com said the same thing about the CB's, they dug in a little too much for their liking.

that's a really cool comparison JB...if these do well for TM, do you see them making a larger soled forged iron to appeal to another segment of the golfing community or does that get cost prohibitive?
Spent some range time with these and wanted to write it up as I was working on something in particular that I found interesting. Hard grass and tight lies.

Some speak about wider soles and thinner soles and what works for the eye, but rarely discuss turf interaction between the two and what makes them different. So I decided to take the 9 iron from this set and the 9 iron from the Ping G15 set to the local range that has some different types of hitting areas.

Mats - Both performed rather well. The CBs offered clean hitting and an impact sound that was incredibly nice and put off a great feel. The miss with the G15 was when coming in a little heavy and hitting what would amount to a heavy shot showed the sole of the club "bouncing" off the mats indicating I was hitting the ball thin. VERY THIN. Leaving low shots that were in essence skulled.

Wet Grass/Heavy Grass - The CBs leading edge got a little messy here with the wet grass as it had a tendency to dig quickly (for my swing) leaving a few shots short of their target. The G15s did not suffer from the same "bounce" type of issues off the mats here and while they slid in to the thicker grass and wet grass in a similar fashion, the thicker top line and mass behind the ball on the higher grooves provided a forgiveness that is not really available in the CBs to that extent.

Tight lies/Hard Fairways - The CBs shined once again here in comparison and it showed virtually identical findings to that of the mats. The CBs slid through the turf with perfect interaction and did not have any struggles. The thicker sole of the G15s gave me a bounce off the turf on 2-3 occasions that left a thin shot.

I expected something similar but in all honesty, not to this extent. The forgiveness of the thicker and larger iron excelled in the trouble areas (like it should), but provided an issue or two with the very tight lies offered in some fairways.

that's a really cool comparison JB...if these do well for TM, do you see them making a larger soled forged iron to appeal to another segment of the golfing community or does that get cost prohibitive?

No. I think they will leave the Burner iron alone. It is their best seller and the "forged" marketing side of things does not interfere with those buyers.

Now you really have me thinking T. Great write up my friend. I'm glad you all are covering turf interaction.

I got out on the range on Saturday and must say that I had an INCREDIBLE day at the range. I did pull out my 3 iron just for you buddy. I was hitting it pretty well with the 3 iron, I did notice I was a little inside on the club face which was giving me a lower ball flight and some distance loss. I did flush a couple and I will say that the ball flight was penetrating and quite frankly just beautiful. But, for what its worth, I will not game the 3 iron. haha. I need a little more forgiveness.

I took the 2.0 6 iron to the range to test against the CB and I left with VERY mixed emotions on the two. First, with the burner I hit EVERYTHING FAT!! I then put it side by side with the CB and realized(which I already knew) the shaft on the burner is significantly longer, hence the fatness. I backed away from the ball(felt wierd at first) and was hitting ropes. it felt very pure and smooth off the face, I missed one out on the toe and the ball still had a great ball flight and I could tell I lost a little distance. When I had the club gripped at the tip of the grip I could tell there was an increase of distance ot that of my CB's. But I will say that I found the burner to be much better for my game when I choked down on the club and just smoothed my swing that I actually liked the results A LOT more. To recap, with the Burner 2.0 I was seeing good distance, nice straight ball flight, and a nice trajectory.

so, now its time to take out the CB 6 iron to see the differences. I gripped the club at the tip of the grip(normal) and started swinging away. my distances were almost spot on with the burner(when I hadchoked down on the grip of the burner) which is exactly what I expected. I felt much more comfortable there. but I will say that the way the CB reacts with the turf and a pure shot, there is NO WAY to describe the feel of that. It is a feeling that you want to feel over and over again. Thats where the CB just shined way past the Burner IMHO! The ball flight was a nice penetrating ball flight that finishes high and lands soft, which is something I like seeing in a 6 iron.

recap: is the Burner 6 iron longer? Of course it is when gripped normally but it was uncomfortable to me, so when I choked down I was seeing the same distance out of my CB. I was very impressed with the Burner and would game those in a heart beat because the feel great, a well struck ball gives you instant feedback that you pured it. But, the CB truly interacts with the turf like nothing else, and a pured shot leaves you wondering how the hell something can feel that good.

My CG7's were a regular flex, I dont rememberthe shaft type though. The reason I went with regular was to get my ball flight up a bit but I noticed that I was just a little bit less consistant with my aim. I would totally agree that the shaft in the CB best fits me.

Ok, now ot my range time with the CB's!

I started out on the range warming up with my PW, which I hit about 135. there was a concrete box (looked like a well cover) that was about 3X3 sitting at about the 135 point on the range, so I made that my target because I would get instant feedback if I hit it. I was tearing that little box up, it was so much fun. I would hit...wait for it....and click, it would bounce off of it. It just made me smile. I dont think I hit the ball bad with my PW. it was so much fun. so I moved down the line to my 9 iron and on.....first shot with my 9 iron was to the 150, I was in the middle of the range and the yardage markers were on both sides, so I would just pick a spot that looked 150 in the center of the range and fire away. I was dropping balls on top of each other. the ball flight was nice and high and the wind was the only thing pushing my ball off path. I am finding that when I just smooth these clubs, the results are incredible. If you have played with me then you know I do not fear the divot, I welcome it. I hit one where I just pured it, divot after the ball and I absolutley sprayed myslef with the dirt. I dint know if I should be mad or happy that it didnt feel like I took a divot.

from my PW to my 7 iron I see a very consistant ball flight, as you get to the 6 and 5 I have noticed that it is more of a penetrating ball flight. I do want to touch on distance just a bit, I stated before that I have not seen any distance loss and I want to retract that comment just a bit. I am actually seeing a little loss but it is only 5 yards. I used to hit my CG7 9 iron 155, I hit my CB 9 iron 150 pretty darn consistantly. but my shot dispersion with the CB is much more on target.

Overall, I am still just a pleased as it gets with these irons, the feel is one of a kind. the turf interaction is second to none. ball flight is just plain fun to watch. looks will grow and grow on you. I would buy a set of these if I didnt alread have them!

Great write up's One T and JB. Lots of great info. Sounds like a little loss in distance for One T, but dispersion is king if you have natural distance. Thats were I may be at a disadvantage, I need both.

Hi all. First post here but have been following this thread since it started when I found this forum. Great place to be and lots of great information from all of you. Just wanted to share that I got my CB's today!!!! They came straight from Taylormade through Goilfsmith. Can't wait till Friday to get them on the course. Again glad to be here and Ill post how it goes.

J.C.

Last edited:
Hi all. First post here but have been following this thread since it started when I found this forum. Great place to be and lots of great information from all of you. Just wanted to share that I got my CB's today!!!! They came straight from Taylormade through Goilfsmith. Can't wait till Friday to get them on the course. Again glad to be here and Ill post how it goes.

J.C.

Congrats on the purchase JC!!!! I can tell you from experience as a tester here on THP that nothing made me happier to have a new member sign up and tell me that they purchased irons based on our reviews. You've got yourself a gorgeous set of sticks my friend and I wish you the best of luck with them in 2011.

Congrats the new sticks! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Welcome JC. I have to say I'm jealous. Golf Galaxy won't have these irons in to even 'test out' on the simlulators until March 25 now, and my closest pro shop doesn't expect them for another couple weeks. It seems to me that if consumers can get them at home, then retailers should be able to stock them. Oh well, at least by waiting, my local pro shop is also going to be getting the TM Select Fit fitting cart/system.

J.C.

Congrats JC!! I cant wait to hear your feedback on the irons. I for one think you will love them.

Thanks for.the welcomes. I am coming from R9's. I really enjoyed those.irons and feel these will be as nice if not nicer. I am just a once a week golfer due to my work schedule so I am just a average player at best but I really liked.the look of.these irons and the reviews you guys have given so far. I'll stay active here and maybe ill get a chance to.review a item here for you guys down the road.

J.C.

Last edited:
Not sure why I have a angry face at the beginning of the post. LOL. That is not my mood.right now so ignore.it. I couldn't figure out how to get it to go away.

Thanks for.the welcomes. I am coming from R9's. I really enjoyed those.irons and feel these will be as nice if not nicer. I am just a once a week golfer due to my work schedule so I am just a average player at best but I really liked.the look of.these irons and the reviews you guys have given so far. I'll stay active here and maybe ill get a chance to.review a item here for you guys down the road.

J.C.

why the angry face?

We are glad to have you and hope you do stick around. I have not hit the R9's in a long time but I do think these feel similar, just better.

Not sure why I have a angry face at the beginning of the post. LOL. That is not my mood.right now so ignore.it. I couldn't figure out how to get it to go away.

hahaha....I was wondering....coming from a guy who just got some new irons.

HAHAHA! I love it. I saw the angry face, and I was like......heeeeyyyyy, what did I miss? Why is he mad? Look forward to your comments and thoughts on the irons.

I am typing from my phone right now so when I get home late tonight I can.probably figure out how to get rid of it. Just at first glance when I opened them before I left for work I have to say they are beautiful irons.

J.C.

J.C.

Welcome...still a newbie as well and came over due to the Hackers press from the TM testers. Still waiting for my Golfsmith to get these in so I can test 'em! Good Luck!

Didn't have my best iron striking day today, but still came back with some valuable feedback on the CB's. I had a case of the fatties for awhile in the middle of my round, and while my misses were mostly straight, they were short. Sometimes 20 yards or more. Ball first is always better, but missing behind the ball with these will cause the sole to dig and you will be sorry. It happens though.

Well struck shots were blissful as always. I hit a great 5 iron today that really got out there (for me). Probably the sweetest 5 iron I've ever hit in my life. It felt like hitting nothing and the ball was as high as any other iron in my bag and landed very soft. I didn't hit every 5 iron shot like that, but that one left me hungry for more.

One thing I continue to love is the ball flight with these. I just love seeing a nice high ball since it was something I struggled to get for so long.

Just got caught up with this thread again. Solid reviews coming in from everyone!

On the distance vs accuracy issue, I have to say that I am a big fan of accuracy. Being able to consistently put balls out in roughly the same place is a really good trait IMO. I wish I could do that. I do however struggle with distance. I am not a long hitter by an means, so extra distance for me right now would be a big help. I guess I'm rather conflicted....

I have a set of CB's 4-PW XP S300 on the way. Can't wait to get them to the course. Like a few others have said they seem to have more forgiveness than the R9 TP and thinner top line and less offset than the Burner 2.0, can't wait.

Looking forward to you stopping back and sharing your thoughts! Congrats on the new sticks. I think that you'll love them.

I have a set of CB's 4-PW XP S300 on the way. Can't wait to get them to the course. Like a few others have said they seem to have more forgiveness than the R9 TP and thinner top line and less offset than the Burner 2.0, can't wait.

Congrats on the new irons.

Just got caught up with this thread again. Solid reviews coming in from everyone!

On the distance vs accuracy issue, I have to say that I am a big fan of accuracy. Being able to consistently put balls out in roughly the same place is a really good trait IMO. I wish I could do that. I do however struggle with distance. I am not a long hitter by an means, so extra distance for me right now would be a big help. I guess I'm rather conflicted....

I think that's a question that a few of us have right now, but I don't think it's just distance vs accuracy as the CB's have some other very desirable traits too. I love the weighting, turf interaction, feel, the smaller head, and the looks in general. Those are all things that come into play when you look at one iron vs another. I picked these over the S3's so far and it wasn't just becasue of the accuracy. I think I said to TC at one point that distance is great, but it isn't everything. Right now, I am satisfied with how far I'm hitting the ball with these. They play right into my gaps at both ends and are certainly not a short iron. They just aren't as long as some irons on the market today.

Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. It means you can continue to ponder and test!

I think that's a question that a few of us have right now, but I don't think it's just distance vs accuracy as the CB's have some other very desirable traits too. I love the weighting, turf interaction, feel, the smaller head, and the looks in general. Those are all things that come into play when you look at one iron vs another. I picked these over the S3's so far and it wasn't just becasue of the accuracy. I think I said to TC at one point that distance is great, but it isn't everything. Right now, I am satisfied with how far I'm hitting the ball with these. They play right into my gaps at both ends and are certainly not a short iron. They just aren't as long as some irons on the market today.

I'll sacrafice distance over accuracy any day and it seems (with everyones reviews) that you may be losing a bit of distance but that is made up 10-fold in the accuracy that these clubs bring to the table. I'm really excited to try this set out sometime soon. It also helps that they are just a great classic looking club.

Back