Palmetto Golf Club - Aiken, SC

incredible pics and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

i grew up in highlands, nc. my grandfather was the caddy master at highlands country club and my dad (the good folks on THP call him uncle daddy) was a caddy there for the bulk of his youth. it was bobby jones' home away from atlanta. he came up there during the hot georgia summers and his home there is owned by the club and has been kept exactly the way it was when he lived there.

i understand exactly what you mean about a course "that is for golfers". i've heard phenomenal things about palmetto and it's cool to see some of it as well.

I will see you in April for my birthday present to myself!

PingMan you got an awesome talent about describing golf courses dude! Enjoyed reading your course writeups and it makes me feel as if I'm almost there, well I wish :D.......

I guess we could buy each other green fees for "gifts". :laughing:

I'm finally going to be able to add more photos to this thread. Andy(johndeere10) and myself will be playing here Masters week and I'll be sure to snap many more photos for your viewing pleasure.

This is my favorite golf course and I very much look forward to teeing it up there again. The history of this place is remarkable.

I don't know how I missed this thread but I will be checking this course out on my way through in April.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Sell Masters practice round tickets to fund our golf....smartest thing I've said all day. I love The Masters but it just makes me want to play golf even worse. I still plan on going by to pick up a few things at walk-in place at side gate but I'd much rather be playing golf that Monday.

Sell Masters practice round tickets to fund our golf....smartest thing I've said all day. I love The Masters but it just makes me want to play golf even worse. I still plan on going by to pick up a few things at walk-in place at side gate but I'd much rather be playing golf that Monday.

I'll always choose playing golf over watching others play golf.

Great pics! Palmetto is my favorite course in the Augusta area besides the obvious pick. When I was younger I had a friend that had a series of lessons with the pro there, and we would go for his lesson and then play. Later the course was added to the rotation in the local Cadillac Cup series of tournaments. I got to play there quite a few times then (mid 80's thru early 90's).

The course is maybe 6400 yards from the tips, par 71, but it will test every club in the bag and every part of your game. It is also unusual in that the 9th hole does not return to the clubhouse area - it is routed so that you play 15 holes, then pass the clubhouse to play the final 3 hole loop. The course has 4 of the most memorable par 3's you will ever play, and I think the 7th hole is the equal of the 12th at the Aug. National. It is a classic of that same 155 yards, where you hit to a green cut into the side of a steep slope right that sits at about a 45 degree angle from the tee. There is no good place to miss that green, which as I recall is similar to the 12th in that the green itself is relatively flat if you successfully hit it. Palmetto has seen some renovation and improvement in playing condition since the years I played it, but I wholeheartedly agree it is a gem!

Looks nice, I may have to check it out.

I live in this area...this course along with Houndslake are gems when it comes to golf.

I dislike Houndslake almost more than any golf course I have ever played. It's like playing down a 2 lane highway for 18 holes.

Here are a few from our round today:

CIMG0428.jpg

CIMG0429.jpg

CIMG0430.jpg

CIMG0431.jpg

CIMG0432.jpg

CIMG0433.jpg

CIMG0434.jpg

CIMG0435.jpg

CIMG0437.jpg

CIMG0438.jpg

Nice pics dude! I know you guys had a blast out there as well! How was the RH today for you?

Nice pics dude! I know you guys had a blast out there as well! How was the RH today for you?

Left..... But not 75+ yards left into the woods like FT Tour... :D

Left..... But not 75+ yards left into the woods like FT Tour... :D

That's good then, huh? What a gorgeous day it was for it today though. Glad you guys had a good time.

Well still under trees so alot of punch shots out. Chip-in for par and birdie only highlights today. Well hitting #7 green.... Chris said take pride in that. LOL Not my worse day but left feeling alot better than I did when we played The Cliffs.

I still can't think of a cooler groomsman's gift! punch shots, flop shot, chip outs, pars, birdies, who cares? You were playing on a phenomenal course today.

Yup best groomsmen's :present: ever!! :banana: The Staff was the nicest group of people I have ever met at a club!

Thats an incredible looking course. Thanks for the write up.

I had to dig deep to find this thread, and to see the author is banned - yikes! I see I commented on Palmetto when the thread was active.

Last weekend I got invited to play Palmetto CC on Tuesday, as my pro was taking a group there to play. It's hard to beat free golf, especially on a wonderful course like Palmetto in Aiken SC. This course was established in 1892, but the remarkable little-known fact about it is that it was rebuilt under the eyes of Alistair Mackenzie while he was also working on the Augusta National. His work is unmistakable if you look at the bunkering. Unfortunately my camera batteries died after just a few shots as I played, so I didn't get many pics and none of the bunkering.

I arrived for our 1 pm tee-off -

P1011660.jpg

and met my pro and two other 'invitees'. I went in the clubhouse and ran into long-time head pro Tommy Moore, and reminisced with him for a few minutes about the days when I used to go to Palmetto with my talented young friend. Then it was off to the first tee -

P1011650.jpg

That picture does no justice to the 50' drop off the first tee to the fairway.

I opened with a nice drive up the middle, and put a nice wedge on about 25 feet below the hole, and amazingly rolled that one in for an opening birdie! The course was in awesome condition, with fairways of bermuda overseeded with rye and FAST smooth greens. My next couple of pictures didn't take right, as I had an issue with the lens sticking, but at the par 4 4th tee I took this

P1011652.jpg

Back