Changes To The Augusta National Over The Years...

I really liked this article when the magazine came out. Golf Digest did something similar article this month too. Seeing the course changes over the years is really interesting. 16 and 11 are completely different holes now.

I'm surprised they haven't made #1 a par 5 yet. Each year they seem to move the tees farther and farther back. I think only reason its not is the putting green is there and they want to keep that to allow players to putt some before going off #1.

New range is so much nicer than old one. They have normal range, putting green, 3-4 places to hit shots out of bunkers, and area the tree lined to hit were they can practice on working the ball. I like to see how permanent stands will look compared to last year.

I'm surprised they haven't made #1 a par 5 yet. Each year they seem to move the tees farther and farther back. I think only reason its not is the putting green is there and they want to keep that to allow players to putt some before going off #1.

New range is so much nicer than old one. They have normal range, putting green, 3-4 places to hit shots out of bunkers, and area the tree lined to hit were they can practice on working the ball. I like to see how permanent stands will look compared to last year.

The actually had to make the first hole tee box smaller last year because they'd stretched it so far back and so close to the putting green that it created a major pedestrian traffic jam.

When you think it can't get any nicer... bam they hit you with this. I can't wait is it April yet?

Thanks for the e-article. I liked that it was interactive.

Man I'm ready for April!

That was really cool. I was more interested on the website than i was reading through the article in the magazine. Its amazing to see how much change the course has gone through over the years.

I can't wait to finally play augusta national on Tiger Woods 2012. I know it isnt real but I can't wait to use the Playstation Move controller on the toughest setting and see what I shoot

+1 Great read. THanks Pingman.

I love Augusta National, it is a priviledge to be there and I miss the old days when you just walked up on practice round days and paid $10 to get to watch the world's best golfers on the world prettiest golf course.

It is a dream of mine to one day go watch the Masters. My uncle is a caddie on tour and can get me badges to any tournament except the Masters unless he happens to be caddying there but right now he is caddying on the senior tour so that is out of the question. Anyway, it is so beautiful on TV I can't imagine how beautiful it is in person.

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Overall, its surprising to see how much it's changed. Its great to read how the course changed because the game changed. Th bunker on the first hole is a great example. It would serve no purpose in today's game.

Overall, everything is tighter, and just a little bit longer. Which is a little surprising, I wish they said how much the overall length has changed.

Thanks for the link littlepingman....now I really want to win our sales contest for the trip to the masters. It's amazing to see how the holes have evolved over time!!!

That was really cool seeing the evolution.

I'm curious to find out how the speed of the greens has evolved. Any thoughts?

Yea thought the same thing. It as listed on one of the holes that they aded heating and cooling to the green so on frosty mornings it would heat up the grass and on hot sunny days it could cool the green down. I am sure that would play into the speed of the greens. Or atleast get a more consistant speed over the years.

I'm curious to find out how the speed of the greens has evolved. Any thoughts?

In 1978, the greens on the Par-3 course were reconstructed with bent. After this test run, the greens on the main course were replaced with bent in time for the 1981 Masters. The bent grass resulted in significantly faster putting surfaces, which has required a reduction in some of the contours of the greens over time

As if you weren't already excited for The Masters...

As if you weren't already excited for The Masters...

..check out this

Golf Digest put together a page that has outlined all the changes to Augusta national. You click on a hole, it starts with it's 1934 design (with a visual outlined of the hole) and a summary of the hole, then you can click on the year (54, 68, 99, whatever) and the visual of the hole will morph to that design with a summary of the changes. For golf design nuts, and masters nuts this is really cool and you could spend a half an hour on this, easy.

..check out this

Golf Digest put together a page that has outlined all the changes to Augusta national. You click on a hole, it starts with it's 1934 design (with a visual outlined of the hole) and a summary of the hole, then you can click on the year (54, 68, 99, whatever) and the visual of the hole will morph to that design with a summary of the changes. For golf design nuts, and masters nuts this is really cool and you could spend a half an hour on this, easy.

Very awesome site, thanks for sharing. I'd like to see something similar for pebble beach

Thanks!

someone posted this yesterday.
GREAT GREAT SITE THOUGH!!
I spent a good 2 hours reading and comparing. And to think that Augusta was a course I thuoght I knew pretty well too...

That is sick, thanks for sharing. Seems all Tom Fazio does to the course is move the tees back for more yardage.

Last edited:
Back