Some questions about shafts...

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys. It has become obvious that I am overpowering the shaft in my Burner. I was thinking about going with the stock shaft it came with, but now I am thinking about a component shaft. I am looking for some general recommendations as well as so info, if you all do not mind.

Also, if it helps, my current shaft is a Harrison Star Plus, a high launching shaft.

1. What is the difference between, say, a 300 dollar shaft and a 100 dollar shaft? Do the higher dollar shafts always perform better?

2. I am looking for lower launch than I am currently getting. What are some good shafts in the mid-launch range under $100?

3. I also like a little weight to my clubs, so heavier shaft recommendations would be preferred.

1. What is the difference between, say, a 300 dollar shaft and a 100 dollar shaft? Do the higher dollar shafts always perform better?

Normally, higher priced shafts offer better shaft to shaft consistency due to more concentration on testing, quality control, materials, etc. But that doesn't necessarily make them better for your game. Shafts are all different and a $100 shaft may work better for your swing than a $300 shaft.

2. I am looking for lower launch than I am currently getting. What are some good shafts in the mid-launch range under $100?

3. I also like a little weight to my clubs, so heavier shaft recommendations would be preferred.

If you are looking for heavier weight and mid launch I'd suggest the Motore F1 in the 75 gram version. They can easily be found for less than $100 and are perfect for what you are looking for.

A great shaft that is mid launching is the Proforce V2 if you are looking for something in that price range. She's to be had for only about $50-$60. The V2 does feel a bit boardy, but if you don't mind it the shaft does perform. Aldila Voodoo VS6 and Graffaloy Prolaunch Platinum are some more that fall into your performance wants/price range. Of course this is just a general answer as those may all really suck for you. JB will probably be on here in a while to tell you to get fitted and he is right. I got fitted for a Stiff 63g Diamana Blueboard and it was never on my radar. I waited a couple of weeks until I caught one on this site for under $100 even though it's a nearly $300 shaft. So find out what works for you best and then hit THP marketplace and e-vilbay until you find yours for a bargain!!!

Okay. Thanks for the fitting recommendation, but that really is not a possibility. I did the whole online shaft fit thing, and the recommended me the ProLaunch Platinum as well.

I have played the ProLaunch Red and it is a nice shaft (lower launching than the platinum). You are not going to mistake the ProLaunch Platinum for a $300 shaft, but you can get a 75g Platinum on eBay for $29.99 + shipping which is a pretty good price.

eBay ProLaunch Platinum

I would say that would be a good experiment for the characteristics you were describing wanting, without investing too much into it.

The Axis ProLaunch Platinum was the shaft that was recommended to me also. The new version out is the Axis ProLaunch Platinum, Can be had for cheap. Heard its a good shaft for the money. Im going to try and get one here eventually.

Aggro, I would have that stock shaft put in there and try it out if you can. It's decent and should stand up to your swing just fine. I say this knowing that you don't have a ton of disposable money to throw around. It would probably be worth the 10-15 dollars to switch it out. Hell, you might be able to do it yourself and save a few bucks.

Aggro, I would have that stock shaft put in there and try it out if you can. It's decent and should stand up to your swing just fine. I say this knowing that you don't have a ton of disposable money to throw around. It would probably be worth the 10-15 dollars to switch it out. Hell, you might be able to do it yourself and save a few bucks.

I think I will. At the shop I may try out a few. They have a couple mid rang shafts sitting around.

I recently went through all this crap Aggro. I wound up with a Project X in my K15. The PX handles a variety of swing types and launches low with low spin. Heavier hitters really seem to like it. For me it has great feel and incredible stability. You can't have them for under $100 new. Check out the big for sale thread on a different board. Shafts run through there all the time. There are so many freakin shafts out there it is very difficult to find the right one. I will tell you that there is a marked difference between a quality after market shaft and an OEM or budget shaft. When I say marked, I mean HUGE. If you are patient you can get a used PX for around $100 I bet. Not gonna get all emotional about my shaft, but I could :laughing:

Best I could do was go to GG over a period of time and hit clubs based on what shaft was in there. I did my homework before I hit that way I knew what to look for. Be wary of the "made for" shafts. I say this not because "made for" shafts are junk. Real deal shafts will just hit different is all. Good luck, man. Glad this ordeal is over for me.

I will say this, the pro launch platinum launches alot lower than I thought. Lost a bit of carry distance (around 5-10 yards). The lower trajectory helped with control but its pretty crazy when you plug a different shaft into your club. Id recommend to try a cheap alternative first with similar launch specs to what youre looking at. Dont want to come off as just telling you what to do but its a cheap way to observe what a lower ballflight does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that buying an aftermarket shaft has to be the answer. Aggro, if you aren't planning on getting a real fitting, I don't see any point in buying something based on what you think you need. What if you actually need a high lauch/low spin shaft? You really won't know unless you are able to get some numbers or try out different shafts with the head you are playing.

I know that the shaft in that driver is too flexible for you, but I think you would be best served to either 1) get a shaft fitting with real numbers 2) compromise with the stock shaft you have available that is a little more stout.

I don't think that buying an aftermarket shaft has to be the answer. Aggro, if you aren't planning on getting a real fitting, I don't see any point in buying something based on what you think you need. What if you actually need a high lauch/low spin shaft? You really won't know unless you are able to get some numbers or try out different shafts with the head you are playing.

I know that the shaft in that driver is too flexible for you, but I think you would be best served to either 1) get a shaft fitting with real numbers 2) compromise with the stock shaft you have available that is a little more stout.

Good advice hawk! Thats deserving of a CFML

I am thinking Hawk is right on this one. I really don't need to be buying more golf stuff ATM anyway. The pending club membership has dramatically decreased my parents tolerances for my buying habits.

I strongly recommend you listen to the two THP Radio shows with Miyazaki shafts. NOT because they are about Miyazaki (that is only part of the shows), but because they answer regular shaft questions about questions that you are asking. Like what is the difference between a high end shaft and others, etc...

Just so you know, I'm not saying you can't find something that better matches your swing. I'm just saying that you have another shaft that you can try out and won't cost much to install. I'm betting you see much better results just because it will be able to stand up to your swing speed.

Just so you know, I'm not saying you can't find something that better matches your swing. I'm just saying that you have another shaft that you can try out and won't cost much to install. I'm betting you see much better results just because it will be able to stand up to your swing speed.

Yeah, you are completely right. I am gonna go down to Tuscaloosa sometime soon and have it put in. I have spring break next week, so that would probably be a good time.

It's a bad deal being young and not being able to buy the finer things in life! I remember getting down on myself when I couldn't get stuff that I wanted (not saying you are, but I sure did)! I hope whatever you can afford works better for you though.

I recommend the Prolaunch Red as others have said, the Proforce V2, and the Aldila Serrano. I put the Serrano in my old dymo and it was just a missle. All 3 of these are very cheap shafts.

I am struggling with the decesion to either buy a new driver or a new shaft for my existing. I play a Ping Rapture 9* with the std release Aldila 65gram stiff shaft.
My driver swing speed is about 100-105 and I dont often get more than 240-250 yds. Ball flight is very high, launches off the club face hot, then balloones up and lands shorter than everyone thinks at impact. I love the feel/weight/sound, but really need to get it out there further. My swing is a touch inside out, but not decidedly.
So, newer driver, or is it the wrong shaft?
Thoughts?

I am struggling with the decesion to either buy a new driver or a new shaft for my existing. I play a Ping Rapture 9* with the std release Aldila 65gram stiff shaft.
My driver swing speed is about 100-105 and I dont often get more than 240-250 yds. Ball flight is very high, launches off the club face hot, then balloones up and lands shorter than everyone thinks at impact. I love the feel/weight/sound, but really need to get it out there further. My swing is a touch inside out, but not decidedly.
Thoughts?

Do you have the option of getting fit for a driver? This would allow you to narrow down your choices, and try out different head/shaft combinations. I think, after swinging a few that are close to what you need, you'll be making your mind up. :D

Well, I can go to Golf Galaxy but they dont really offer different shafts other than what is on the rack. I can bring my existing as a comparison for stats. Not sure if Golfsmith is any diff in that regard. But I would like to see stats on mine. So yeah, good place to start. Thanks Paulo.
Wondering if anyone has opionion on Adilia shafts as to launch/spin. It would seem that a 9* driver with stiff shaft ought not to launch high?

Thoughts?

I can only share my thoughts with what I have used. There are many shafts out there that lower launch. Project X is what I have and I will tell you that my launch is down to around 15 degrees over the 17-18 I had with the stock shaft. You may have too little spin as well. Does your ball just fall from the sky or does it penetrate on descent? Conversely, your launch could be fine and you are getting so much spin the ball just keeps climbing. No way to tell really. I am betting you have too much spin.

I can't tell you what is best for you, but it sounds like your shaft is not suited to your swing. Maybe get on a LM and share the numbers you get with the Rapture that way you know what your issue is, launch or spin.

Hi Griff,
Thanks for the post. I was hoping to get to the LM today but those damm customers keep getting in my way. I keep telling them they have to learn to space themselves out better. Bad listeners I guess.
I think you may be onto something with the spin factor. My ball flight does keep rising and then fall straight down. I am becoming convinced that I need a complete fitting including club, shaft and ball.
I believe that is how the big boys are getting what theyre getting. (Along with fitness training that includes strength and flexability).
But I am in fair shape and have a decent swing for an old guy. Hockey players seem to make for decent golfers some.

I will post numbers tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Aggro, a dirt cheap shaft, only because it has been out for several years now, I will personally guarantee you will not overpower is the Aldila VS-Proto. It can be had up to 80 grams, but I'd recommend the 70 gram version since it feels heavier than that. I've gotten my last 3 for under $35. Low spin, low torque shaft that is incredibly stable, but still loads pretty easily and really lets you feel where the head is when you unload it.

I have a driver I hang on to for scrambles only. It is a Cobra L4V 9* with a VS-Proto 60-R (regular flex). My scramble swing speed is around 121-123mph (normal human style, everyday swing is 104mph) and I use a regular flex if that tells you how stable it is. I do that to hit big, high hooks. I'd say a stiff would be a good choice if you go that route.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Back