Polara Golf Ball Testing Review Thread

Weather should be ok Friday to knock the rust off this will be first time out since Nov 3rd I will be playing the Polara so I'll post my thoughts Fri eve sorry for the delay

Ok; so had a good practice round with these yesterday. Absolutely no one on the course. So it was nice to be able to hit multiple balls and not worry about slowing someone down.

Initial impressions: i was super excited to try out the technology, you can tell they did a ton of work research and developing this. The dimple pattern is unlike any ive seen -
IMG_3699.jpg

Notice the 3 sets of dimples. One shallow along the equator, larger at the poles, and interspersed dimples on the poles as well.

I first rolled them on the putting green at home, they felt pretty hard compared to the softer b330 Rxs i had on the green. They still went straight - just a different feel off the putterface. More noticeable "click" with the 2 piece.

When i got to the course, i played my initial tee shot with my E-6 for the round. Then i teed up the Polara and Hit it on every hole. The front 9 i played the 2 piece, the back nine the 3 piece. On hole #8, par 5, there is a rather large fairway that i decided to do a real test on.

I teed up my initial tee shot - and it was a decent shot about 250 right of the fairway.

I teed up 6 E-6 balls and hit all of them with my 10.5 Driver.
Then i teed up 6 of the Polara 2 piece balls, and 6 of the Polara 3 piece balls.

I pulled out my pocket notebook and drew a quick diagram - and marked each balls location with my skycaddie gps.

When i had collected all the balls - and marked them - i went back to the tee box and repeated the process with my R9 Fairway wood in 15* loft.

Marked all them in the notebook and GPS'd them then finished the hole with my initial tee shot and the first polara 2 piece ball.

Luckily there was no one behind me or they would have thought i was crazy! hahah but it was a very good test for me i think.

It was pretty enlightening to say the least.

I made a few quick sketches in mspaint - so dont make fun of the artwork!

First the driver results:
polaradriver.png

and the Fairway Wood Results:
polara3wood.png

With the driver - I tried teeing it up at my normal driving ball position: just off my big toe. The 2 piece averaged only about 165 yards total. There was really no roll bc of the wet conditions. (everything is still drying out up here, we had some big rains last few weeks) The 3 piece averaged about 185-190 yards. My E-6 balls were right around 250.

The weird thing was i know the manufacture said to tee it up higher, well for me to do that i have to move the ball more forward in my stance too (outside left foot, 1 inch or so) or ill sky the ball with the top of the driver. I kept it the same for this test, and it felt like it had no backspin at all - which may be what the ball is designed for? high spin reduction which makes it go straight? Well all of my 2 piece balls ended up left of where i was aiming. It was like they were just on a right to left path each time. Same swing with the e-6 was almost a straight ball flight - with a little fade. So that was suprising that these went like a draw.

With the 3 piece and driver - i got almost perfectly straight ball flights - but the distance was again a problem - the best was right about 205 yds and maybe 1 yard ahead of its pitch mark. No roll today.

I then teed them up with a 3 wood, I usually tee my 3wood 1/2 inch off the ground. maybe an inch. I set the face of the 3 wood behind the teed ball and i like the center of the ball to be center of the clubface. I always hit the ground a bit with a 3w off the tee. If i tee it higher - ill sky it.

My normal 3 wood swing - is usually a baby draw (where the driver is a baby fade this year). I hit a good 3w to about 220. Then as you can see -they all pretty much averaged 200-220 yards. The 3 piece and the e-6 were about the same distance (average was just a hair higher for the e6) but the 3 piece was straighter. I put all the 3 piece polara balls in the fairway.

The 2 piece - tehre was some distance loss - but i think its what they do - they reduce spin - and are meant to go straight. As a high handicapper- or a beginner - these balls would be a godsend. But for a lower handicapper - i think the distance loss would be reason enough to bag something else.

When i lined up the iron shots (the balls have an alignement arrow that you use to line up shots) the shots were dead straight. My biggest miss with the long irons 5-6 is right (not closing the face) and with my lower scoring irons - it can be either left or right (not sure what im doing there- too handsy?) Everytime i lined up the arrows on a test iron shot - these things flew straight and good distance (only about 5 yard loss compared to same swing with the e-6). IF you played these without piucking up the ball after your tee shot and aligning the arrow - they are supposed to act just like another ball. And my tests confirmed this. Same swing with a 6 iron produced almost identical flight between e6 and polara 3 piece - only minimal distance loss and missing right.

Chipping: a harder 2 piece ball and im ready for lots of rollout - when adjusted for it wasnt that hard to chip with these - you know what they are going to do and adjust. the e6 has more than normal rollout for me anyways so im used to it - i didnt see any difference between chips with the e6 and polara balls other than feel. The balls still feel a little harder and the impact doesnt sound as crisp.

Putting: as stated before - i didnt see much of a difference in putting. A little difference in feel threw off my rolls - the harder click made me think i had to be softer with it. But they rolled straight.

I tried to take as diligent notes as i could on the course - the diagrams should be good i labeled each one and made the pictures a day or so later so the information was still fresh in my mind.

For high handicappers i think they would be highly recommended. They will find more fairways and reduce distance which will keep it closer to the fairway should they miss too far left or right. It wont go forever into OOB.

Mid Handicappers could use them if they had problems off the tee - but they will see a distance loss.

low Handicappers - probably dont worry about missing that far left or right - and want as much distance as possible.

Later in the round - i remembered an article in golf digest awhile back. It mentioned power drills. One had it set the ball teed way high, almost 4 inches left of the front foot. The idea being the driver will bottom out in between your stance and as its headed up the face contacts the ball on the upswing. I tried to get distance with my driver and these balls - but try as i may - i couldnt get them far at all. I was able to increase the height of them by teeing up a littler more and moving them forward in my stance - but that wasnt enough with my swingspeed to throw them out there where the e6's or a normal ball would go.

The 3 wood - i was able to match the E6 almost as far as distance was concerned. Ballflight was still really low.

Ill post some more later (going to golftec tomorrow if the dentist isnt too long) and ill try and get launch monitor numbers to see whats really happening with the driver.

Nice write up CG.

Great review CG!!

i love the diagrams... great write up cg

Good job cg, I expected you to be too excited to be able to report in tonight.

This won't be a long one, but I'd just like to post about my second test in here. I was using my new r11 rescue 3 today with the polara 2 piece and srixon trispeed tour.

It works like a charm for me every time. My slices and hooks aren't normally too crazy, so this ball goes perfectly straight for me. I still notice that strange knuckle ball-esque flight. Of course, that is an exaggeration.. but it definitely has a different looking ball flight. While the trispped was longer, being right down the pipe is a massive advantage no matter how you slice it.

Good job cg, I expected you to be too excited to be able to report in tonight.

luckily i did most of the work BEFORE 2 pm. i had to keep my brain occupied. it was up till 5 am worrying!!

:beat-up:

I hit 5 (3 of 2pc and 2 of 3pc) out into the open field infront of my house this afternoon. It wasn't any better than Sunday morning. I was hitting the Burner 2.0 6 iron and found all the Polara balls about 5-10 farther than where they were landing. :wtf:
I guess I will try again tomorrow with brothers 10 degree driver but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :alien:

I'm glad to see these actually work

Ok, I took the Polara 2 Piece Ultimate Straight out yesterday and here is how it worked for me.

Putting = They rolled just fine but they felt pretty hard to me. They also seemed to end up a little shorter than my regular ball which is also a 2 piece.

Driver = These things were super straight. The technology definately works. But they were very short. My drives are usually 250-270 and I couldn't hit this ball farther than 210 or so. I use a 9.5 degree driver and it did say to use a higher lofted driver or 3 wood. I tried teeing it up higher but that didn't help me.

3W = My 3W also was super straight and also went about 200-210 yards. But I normally hit it 225-235. So I lost quite a bit of distance even with a 15 degree 3 wood.

low irons = Also straight, but lost distance in these as well. 10-20 yards less on avg.

mid-high irons = I didn't notice a loss of distance on these shots. My shots went straight and distance was on par with my normal clubs. I tried to use the arrow pointing torwards the target to gain extra distance like the paperwork suggested but I didn't notice any. I did notice some extra spin tho when I faced the arrow the other direction as directed.

These balls are STRAIGHT! I only hit 1 fade all day. Everything else was straight. And I usually have several fades, a few slices and even a draw or 2 during a normal round. I scored about the same as I always do even with the loss of distance. I was just that much more accurate. But the distance loss is pretty hard to ignore. I just couldn't get the ball into the air with them. Super low ball flight.

I would definately reccommend these for people just starting out in golf or someone strugling with a big slice/hook. What you lose in distance will be gained in accuracy.

I went to a grassy area where I could test these balls Sunday morning and just like everyone else, these balls would be good for someone starting out or trying to cure a big slice or hook. They did as advertised, but I was a bit reminded of the top flite golf balls of the late 70's, ROCK HARD! They also did not get as much distance as the Penta or the B 330 RX. Not a good feel off the putter either. Thanks to THP and Polara for the opportunity, but these will not be helpful to me!

i would just pick a sleeve to try em out if pro shop of home course has em

Still nothing in the mail to test :disapointed: Any other Canadian testers receive their balls yet?

I managed to get out to the course yesterday afternoon after work and took a sleeve of the 2 piece with me. The front Nine was closed so I didn't get to play as much as I wanted b/c of the crowd, but these balls are VERY straight when lined up correctly. Tried teeing off with 2 balls on the 4s and 5s, the Polara and a Z-star x. Like Barberakb said, these are straight as an arrow, but I did lose a little bit of distance, nothing too drastic, the thing will still go 300+ but I didn't quite get the hang time I look for.

Putting was fine, I'm not a stifler once the ball gets on the green. Spin wise from wedges, not much there, but not much was expected; its a hard two piece.

Again only a small sample so far, and I plan to take the 3 piece out as soon as I can...stupid work >.<

Great reviews CG and Barb! I appreciate the info.

First of all I’d like to apologize for not getting a full review on here as quickly as I had hoped. Unfortunately I was out of the country on business and haven’t got the opportunity to really get out and play a round with these balls. I at least wanted to get some kind of trial on these so I made it out to the soggy practice greens yesterday to put them through some putting/chipping/sand paces.

Putting:
I put the Polara US 2-piece and US XS 3-piece up against the e6, which is normally the ball I play this time of year. I use the corza ghost putter and normally it’s a little harder, less “feel type” putter, but with the 2 and 3 piece Polara balls it seems more so. I was consistently putting past the hole 2-4 feet with what I thought were normal putting stokes. It took a little getting used to and had to mentally hit these a little softer in comparison to the e6s. Overall, I didn’t mind so much having to slow down. The reason being that courses out here are pretty slow, so using a ball that gives you a little extra to get to the hole is nice. I made a few longer putts after a short time and other than the feel of each lacking a bit they rolled true and smooth.

Chipping:
Again I used the e6 ball to compare to the US and US XS balls for this testing. Each of the Polara balls again felt harder than the e6. Maybe it was the higher tone of sound off of the club face or click that gave a feel of more weight or firmness. Either way, I chipped about the same with the XS 3-piece ball as I did with the e6. It had a nice check and small roll out to it. The 2-piece ball rolled out a little more, not a significant amount but it definitely was noticeable. I don’t think of myself as a great chipper so getting used to the rollout of the 2-piece would just take some time to get used to, but the XS would be comparable to what I normally play.

Misc. – Sand
At the end of my practice session (due to it beginning to rain pretty hard), I did some testing with the Polara ball from a practice greenside sand bunker to a pin about 15 yards away with some green to work with. I hit 6 balls (e6, US 2-piece, and US XS) each and compared. Again, sand isn’t my specialty, but both of these balls performed pretty well. I normally like to play the “chunk and run” shot here and each of these balls did the job. I made a successful shot (within 3 feet) 2 points, an ok shot (within 6 feet) 1 point and a poor shot (outside 6 feet) 0 points. The e6 and the US XS got 6 points and the 2-piece had 5. So again, the two Polara balls were definitely close in performance to what like to play.

Overall this is a good start to my initial testing of the ball. I think the difference in feel and sound to their normal ball would be imperceptible for a higher handicapper with regards to within 15-30 yards from the green. I hope to get out more with these two balls soon as I get the time and weather improves. I’d also like to get the impressions from a few guys I play with that only get out 1-2 times a month. Thanks :thp: and Polara again for this opportunity!

Quick review:

Played both the 3 piece and 2 piece ball this past saturday during a round vs the Bridgestone e5, e6 and a Titleist ProV1.

Initial thoughts: Had to look twice at the dimples, kind of distracting but got used to it as the day went on.

Putting: Both the Polara's seemed to hold their lines better than the ProV1 (which wanted to break) and pretty similar to the e5/e6. The polara's had a very clicky sound and felt much harsher off the face than the other three balls.

Chipping: The 2 piece Polara did not want to check at all no matter how clean I hit the ball. It felt like I was hitting a range ball with an old wedge. The 3 piece on the other hand did want to hold and performed just as well as the e5/e6. The ProV1 still spun the best but was to be expected. The 3 piece had an almost identical feel as the two bridgestone balls.

Irons: This is where the technology started coming out. Normally my irons are pretty straight but sometimes put a bit of a accidental draw or fade on them. With both Polara's, I couldn't do anything but hit them straight. The 2 piece ball seemed to go a bit shorter than the 3 piece(~5 yards) and felt much harder off the face. In general all the balls seemed to go within 5 yards or so of eachother. The ball flight was very similar and I didn't really notice a drastic change. Even after trying to slice/hook these Polara's, they still wound up being playable so it seems that the tech works well.

3 Wood: Again the technology was evident for sidespin. My normal 3 wood distance off the deck is 220-230 with a bit of a fade. I was carrying the 3 piece around 200-210 and the 2 piece 190-200 both straight as can be. I did notice a difference in ball flight here as the 2 piece seemed to stay within 15 feet of the ground no matter how I hit it. The 3 piece matched the ball flight of the other balls.

Driver: This was an area that suprised me. I was expecting the biggest help off the driver and actually got quite the opposite. Though my drives were straight, I couldn't hit either the 2 piece (~210) or 3 piece ball farther than 230. The ProV1 tended to settle around 270 while the e5/e6 both tended to get around 285. Not sure if this has to do with the driver or the tech (they recommend 10.5+) but this disappointed me. However, they were straight so that was a plus.

Overall: The 2 piece was a pretty big disappointment. It didn't go as far, didn't check with wedges and didn't feel good off the putter. If someone were to play with these Polara golf balls, I'd recommend the 3 piece. It was pretty comparable to the e5/e6 with more help in the anti-slice/hook department. They had a decent feel and went comparable distances. So if you have someone struggling to control that banana slice, slip a few of these into their pocket and watch them smile as they are finally able to keep a ball in play.

Thanks again THP for this wonderful opportunity. I look forward to helping out on many other tests!

What kind of yardage was he getting. I am guessing that it was probaly the same if not longer if he normally has a 60 yard slice.

he was hitting it about the same since it went straight. but on a few shots it went longer.

got my balls in the mail today... thank you gg!
it rained all night and this morning so i didnt book a teetime today but i have a teetime set up for tomorrow late morning
hopefully the course will be empty enough for me to hit multiple shots off the tee... if not ill play one type of ball per 9
my first impression when i opened up the package was it seemed to look like every other ball but with a different dimple pattern and logo design
the logo could use a lot of work but i like the alignment aid
just holding it in hand didnt seem any harder than any other ball but rubbing my nail across both the 2 piece and 3 piece it seems the 3 piece cover seems softer
i cant wait to take these out on the course and see the tech for myself

Yesterday turned out to be about as good a day possible to test out the Polara golf balls with temps reaching close to 70 degrees here and more importantly the wind started out around 15 mph, but reaching all the way to 35 mph or higher by the end of my round. I chose the Standard green 2 piece today, along with an e6 Bridgestone ball and the difference was night and day on the course.

Unlike the US XS 3 piece I used on the course my last time out, overall distance was the killer here. I was playing pretty solid all in all and driving wise I was hitting the ball very well off the tee with both the e6 and Polara. I had only 5 actual FWIR with the e6 all day, but only two put me in bad situations, the rest were off by a few inches to a few feet. The Polara on the other hand were all in the fw, but averaged almost 30 yards behind the e6. With that said advantage remained with the e6 even though I was in the rough on all but the two holes that I was in trouble spots. Off the tee these are a funny ball to watch. I hit one dead center that felt sweet coming off the driver head with a nice loft, but these look like a knuckle ball as they suddenly drop out of the sky and roll. I had already hit a nice drive with the e6 on this particular hole that just caught the edge of the rough, but this shot with the polara looked really good and I expected it to be just as far as the e6. Wrong, even though it was in the fw with roll it was 20 yards back.

From the fw the polara was still very straight and did its job, all though I had to club up going to the green. I noticed no checkup with this ball on the green, but none of these rolled off the back either. Putting felt ok with me on the Polara. These greens were anything but fast and they seemed easy to cozy up to the pin from 20 ft.

All in all these again did as advertised and if willing to sacrifice some distance for direction and club up from the fw, I think they can help a person score.

My dad plays about twice a month and never ever practices. We grabbed a round a few days ago and I gave him the 2 layer ball to use. Everything he hit was straight. It was awesome! We played 9 holes and he never lost a ball which never happens for him. He commented that he really enjoyed playing the ball and it certainly helped him have a much better round and made the whole golfing experience much more enjoyable for him.

Update on these balls-

They DONT work in a SIM... at least not the sim I use. The slice is there when I put it there and it seems to be about an even dispersion with a normal ball.
The weather is turning here and I am going to be on the course this weekend. I'll put these into play for at least part of my round and will see what happens. I also dropped off one of each ball with a playing partner of mine who has a nasty slice, and asked for his input. He was really excited to give them a try too, so hopefully I can report back on monday with good results from the both of us.

Thanks to everyone who has put up such great reviews. I know I am really looking forward to seeing if my experiences match yours!

Update on these balls-

They DONT work in a SIM... at least not the sim I use. The slice is there when I put it there and it seems to be about an even dispersion with a normal ball.
The weather is turning here and I am going to be on the course this weekend. I'll put these into play for at least part of my round and will see what happens. I also dropped off one of each ball with a playing partner of mine who has a nasty slice, and asked for his input. He was really excited to give them a try too, so hopefully I can report back on monday with good results from the both of us.

Thanks to everyone who has put up such great reviews. I know I am really looking forward to seeing if my experiences match yours!

That's interesting. I thought the ball was working on the sim, perhaps I was just hitting it straight a change. Plus, I thought the duck hooks I hit were simulator malfunction, and here they may not have been reading correctly at all...

Tap before talk.

Back