Poor Northerners: When is the Last Time You Played?

I've been to the range 6 times or so the last couple of weeks and got 9 holes in yesterday after work. It was in the low 50s, mostly sunny, but the course was pretty wet/muddy from all the melted snow and rain we've had. This weekend looks promising for 18, at least.

I've been to the range 6 times or so the last couple of weeks and got 9 holes in yesterday after work. It was in the low 50s, mostly sunny, but the course was pretty wet/muddy from all the melted snow and rain we've had. This weekend looks promising for 18, at least.

We could try and get out Monday- supposed to be nice i think.

Tapping and talking since 2010.

I havent played since October and it will likely be another 2-4 weeks before I can get out on the course.

I took a work related trip to West Point, New York...all I can say is wow! The course was still closed for the season and there was snow everywhere. I'm not sure that I could handle a lay-off for that long. You can get spoiled in place where you can play year-round.

We could try and get out Monday- supposed to be nice i think.

Tapping and talking since 2010.

I'm looking forward to it Matt.

One of the courses in my area announced today that they will be opening on Friday as soon as the frost melts. I think I might feel a sick day coming on...:D
It hit 60* here today and if there had been any courses open I would have played today after work.

I got nine in a couple of hours ago. Not bad for the first time out since October. 42 without a putter. I only own 25 and didn't have one in the bag. Hybrids make great putters BTW

6xxflw.jpg

It's getting closer. Ground is still frozen though. Range might open in a week or so, if we're lucky.

Very wet here in Indiana but it was warm today (60) and I thought why not. Had a little mud splattered on my shoes and pants but it was still golf.

Nov 13th last round probably with the ground still saturated from the snow and rain another month I cant golf until my course lets carts out practiced putting with my putting mat for only the 3rd x since christmas last sun well I got 1 month to break it out and use it consistently LOL.

Very wet here in Indiana but it was warm today (60) and I thought why not. Had a little mud splattered on my shoes and pants but it was still golf.
Why not indeed. Mud season is beginning here too...a sure sign that spring is on the way. :)

It's supposed to be 58 degrees and sunny here tomorrow! Definitely headed out to the range for the first outdoor session of the year for me if the weather holds.

Played on a simulator on Monday, does that count?

Does indoor mini golf count?

just scheduled my first tee time of the season for tomorrow at 2:15! Supposed to be 65 and sunny. Can't wait to get out of the office and on to the course!

It's been seven weeks for me. We had a deep freeze, then 20 inches of snow. It's starting to melt, but the weather folks are calling for another snow storm this weekend.

Usually we get some kind of "warm-up", i.e., low-40s, so a golfer can at least get in a round or two, but no such luck this winter. This is the longest I've gone without playing golf.

What about some of you other folks that live up North? Any luck getting out and playing?

Scheduled my first round of the year in Chicago for Sunday afternoon. Haven't played a true round since I played a few rounds in CA in January.

Last round I played was in October in 35 degree weather. My butt cheeks were cold lol. Everything is starting to green up and some of the courses are cleaning the snow off the greens to get ready. I think in 2 weeks we will be able to play. Time to go to the range at least once a week and order my irons!

I went to the same heated bays range that I have frequented throughout the winter to find it mobbed today. Temps in the 60s' here in New Hampshire today and that on top of multiple days in the 50s'. Snow is disappearing faster than I have ever seen it.

This is an odd period for golfers here. Those of us that are diehards get used to having the heated bay ranges to ourselves because it is very uncomfortable in the winter here heaters or no. However there are still few places that have actually opened yet. Most of the ranges have some work to do and the courses have more to do for obvious reasons. We might catch a break this year regardless of all the snow we got this winter. Judging from the ground generally, a much higher percentage of the snow than usual is evaporating instead of heading into the ground and even the moisture that the ground has been holding all winter is being exposed and is evaporating much faster than I have ever seen. So we might not end up with as soggy an early spring season as we would normally expect. That would be great. As much as I want to hit the links, I hate seeing the beating the courses normally take in the early spring. Sure the courses outline the really bad spots so you stay off of them but the rest is usually just barely playable. If you asked any of us two weeks ago we would have sworn that the area courses would not bear up under any traffic until maybe end first week in April. Now depending on how much maintenance a course is willing to do, I would think they could make first day of April if they wanted to do so. Many of these same courses were open by now last year.

Maybe one of the things that is really kind of a shame is that the hardware guys really have difficulty holding fitting days before we get into April and you would really want to get something done earlier than that if you could. Sure they have indoor facilities but it is so neat to be able to get outdoor for it.

Ping will be at the local Store/range April 7th and I think that is the first one being held there this spring.

Rumour has it that it'll be around +4/+5 C tomorrow with a gentle breeze from the west. Balls on a driving range WILL be hit.

Some time in October was the last time I played a round. The good news is that one of the local courses believes that one of their nines will be open April 16th! Six months on, six months off.....

Last real game was late September. I went to the range a few times in October. The course around here usually stay closed in April to prevent damage, but I'll be working 60 hours a week until May doing taxes anyway.

I haven't touched a golf club since November. I guess I shouldn't be surprised I never get any better!

Scheduled my first round of the year in Chicago for Sunday afternoon. Haven't played a true round since I played a few rounds in CA in January.

Ugh. Hail, thunder and rain prevented my first round in Chicago for the season. Looks like it might be a couple more weeks for me... thank goodness I get to do late night range sessions. Otherwise I am pretty sure I would go crazy!

Back