TaylorMade Rescue 11 Hybrid Review Thread

For this model, what's the difference between the TP and regular model? The shaft? Couldn't find any info on the site but retailers list two R11 models (ie regular & TP). I was fit for the Rescue 11 18 degree with the RIP 85 S shaft, saw it in the thread and it said TP on it...so I was fit for the TP model?

Just the shaft with the Rescue 11, the TP has the 85 RIP

The TP model has an 85g RIP shaft and the regular version has a 65g RIP shaft

I am picking up my 5 TP hybrid today. I am looking forward to your review.
I got my hybrid, for testing, at 6:30pm. As it turns out, it's a 23.5* 5 hybrid. I have never hit a 5 hybrid. I will be going to a range tomorrow to give it a whirl.

I encourage the questions that may be hanging out there in the THP universe.

OK, so here are my initial pictures and thoughts after my first range session with the 18* R11 TP Rescue:
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg

I was very excited to see that I received the 18* hybrid because that it was I currently play so it would give me a better chance to compare distances and performance. Here are some of my initial thoughts after day 1:

LOOK: I have been a big fan of the white heads ever since Taylormade revealed their new line-up, and the R11 Rescue is no different. I love the looks of this club. It gives confidence looking over it from the playing position, and it makes it very easy to align the club because of the white head and black face. The grooves on the face are also white so it helps align the club even more. I really like the shape of the head as well. It is very traditional for a hybrid. I have been looking at new hybrids this year and I am just not a fan of some of the new looks. The Nike VR Pro and the Titleist 910h come to mind, they just have odd shapes. This is not so with the R11, as it is very traditional looking like I said. It also has a nice looking shaft, which is an 85g RIP shaft.

FEEL: I took both hybrids to the range: My Nike Slingshot Tour, and the Taylormade R11. I hit about a dozen with my old one just to remind myself how it felt since I have only been to the range about 6 times so far this year and have mostly worked on mid-long irons. Anyway, I hit about a dozen with my Nike. Until this year I never tried out many new hybrids, but now that I have, the Nike just does not have very good feel. It feels like I'm hitting a 5 lb ball with it. It does not come off the face very hot. Now, I pulled out the R11 and within my first few shots I was amazed how it felt coming off the face. I could tell it was hot coming off the face. I also felt like I had a bigger sweet spot. The clubhead felt a little heavier than my Nike, but I felt that helped me to have more control over my swing and I could feel the head throughout my entire swing. It is very hot off the face and has a very soft feel compared to my Nike and a couple others I have hit on the range this year.

PERFORMANCE: Here is the big one...I consistently hit my Nike hybrid straight about 215 yards. If I mis-hit it I would be lucky to get 190. After hitting a dozen balls aiming for a green on the range that is about 225, I pulled out the R11. First shot I noticed it had a higher launch, I thought it would come up shorter since it launched higher. I was wrong, my shot sailed over the green and landed on the back slope of it, so my shot was around 235ish. I thought, "lucky shot." I hit some more...I consistently hit it nice and straight, and consistently hit it over the green about 235. This club is 15-20 yards longer than my Nike, and even my mis-hits were going 215. But I did not feel like I had hardly any mis-hits because I could tell the sweet spot is bigger on the R11. I even tried hitting a couple of draws with it and it is SO EASY to hit my draw that I like to use every once in a while. It comes off the face so hot, comes down softly, and adds distance to my previous hybrid. What more could I ask for?

FINAL FIRST THOUGHTS: This club already has a place in my bag. I have not even tried adjusting the head yet to see what I can do with it on the different settings. I will do more of that later, but as of now I am EXTREMELY pleased with how it performs on the neutral settings. Now I must find a caring home for my Nike Slingshot Tour hybrid, but I cannot say I will miss it much now that I have hit the R11 rescue. I am very anxious to try this club in different lies, because it has a flatter sole than my Nike does. I will also be getting to the practice greens today to try chipping with it. Further reviews to follow.

I'd like to thank THP and Taylormade again for this wonderful opportunity. There were so many worthy candidates for this testing and I consider this an honor to be able to test this and help out anyone considering the R11 Rescue. Please post any questions on here or send me a PM with questions as well and I will do my best to answer them. Until then, HIT EM STRAIGHT EVERYONE!

great first write up!!

great first review. I had a similar experience as you when I first hit this club. Can't wait to hear more

Love the reviews coming on this one. Ill be doing some heavy THP research on some certain companies clubs and I absolutely love all the feedback that's coming.

I took my first outside swings of 2011 today. I went to a covered range and took 3 clubs. I Took my 7 iron, driver, and the recently received Taylormade Rescue 11 23.5* hybrid. 10-12 balls with the 7, 10 with the driver, and then it was onto the 5 hybrid.

First impressions: I play 2 hybrids normally. I am used to how they look at address. However, I am not used to seeing a hybrid head on a 5-iron length shaft. That took a few swings to get used to. I had to learn how far off the ball to stand at address, how far forward would the ball be in my stance at address and the weight of the club where the hardest to get used to. As it turns out, placement in the stance and distance away from the ball at address were the same as a normal 5-iron, go figure. The white crown was not an issue at any point in my session with this club. Repeat, the white crown was not an issue at any point in my session with the club. I did not find the white to be distracting or overly helpful. It wasn't a bad thing, just not that big of a deal. However, the most positive thing I can say about the club at this point is the audible and tactile feedback. The sound and feel are special. I was asked by other golfers at the range if the feel was as good as the sound. It is. The confidence I got from that sound was palpable. I wanted to reproduce that sound. Hitting the club flushly was always rewarded.

Performance: My 5-iron is my 175 club. My driver swing speed is 94-100. I could not tell what kind of distance I was getting with the club. Between the snow on the ground and on the trees at the end of the range, it was hard to tell how far I was hitting the club. Plus, I never trust range balls. I will say that the ball flight was very nice. I did not find the club to produce a balloon or a knuckleball. Just a nice medium-high flight that seemed to carry a while, a product of backspin I believe. I have a feeling that going into greens on par 3s or long 4s will be easy with this club. The only concern I have with the club is that I seemed to hit a lot of draws and even some hooks. I understand that is probably a result of the fonzanoon swinging the club, but I do not usually hit a draw with my 5-iron. I weakened my grip at address and that seemed to straighten the ball out. The last ball of the session was a very nice gentle draw that seemed to carry a ways down range.

Warning: This is not an overly forgiving club. There is a definite sweet spot. Since it was the first range session and I was getting used to the 5-hybrid, I had a few bad swings. They were not forgiven by the club. I would not recommend this club to high handicappers looking for a hybrid.

I like what this club produced as far as ball flight and feedback. The only gripe I have with the club at this point is that it is a 5-hybrid and I am not used to it. Hardly the clubs fault. I saw some nice results with it, being the first session of the year. There will be many more sessions and rounds with the club. I did not find the club to overly forgiving, but that is probably more on the indian, and less on the arrow.

Great initial thoughts there blu!

good stuff so far guys.

Hi Blugold, Nice first write-up! I picked up my 5 TP hybrid today and I am looking forward to hitting it. What is your normal ball flight and i would be good to know your handicap as well. I draw the ball as well but so far I am not hitting any hooks with my 3 and 4 hybrids.
I took my first outside swings of 2011 today. I went to a covered range and took 3 clubs. I Took my 7 iron, driver, and the recently received Taylormade Rescue 11 23.5* hybrid. 10-12 balls with the 7, 10 with the driver, and then it was onto the 5 hybrid.

First impressions: I play 2 hybrids normally. I am used to how they look at address. However, I am not used to seeing a hybrid head on a 5-iron length shaft. That took a few swings to get used to. I had to learn how far off the ball to stand at address, how far forward would the ball be in my stance at address and the weight of the club where the hardest to get used to. As it turns out, placement in the stance and distance away from the ball at address were the same as a normal 5-iron, go figure. The white crown was not an issue at any point in my session with this club. Repeat, the white crown was not an issue at any point in my session with the club. I did not find the white to be distracting or overly helpful. It wasn't a bad thing, just not that big of a deal. However, the most positive thing I can say about the club at this point is the audible and tactile feedback. The sound and feel are special. I was asked by other golfers at the range if the feel was as good as the sound. It is. The confidence I got from that sound was palpable. I wanted to reproduce that sound. Hitting the club flushly was always rewarded.

Performance: My 5-iron is my 175 club. My driver swing speed is 94-100. I could not tell what kind of distance I was getting with the club. Between the snow on the ground and on the trees at the end of the range, it was hard to tell how far I was hitting the club. Plus, I never trust range balls. I will say that the ball flight was very nice. I did not find the club to produce a balloon or a knuckleball. Just a nice medium-high flight that seemed to carry a while, a product of backspin I believe. I have a feeling that going into greens on par 3s or long 4s will be easy with this club. The only concern I have with the club is that I seemed to hit a lot of draws and even some hooks. I understand that is probably a result of the fonzanoon swinging the club, but I do not usually hit a draw with my 5-iron. I weakened my grip at address and that seemed to straighten the ball out. The last ball of the session was a very nice gentle draw that seemed to carry a ways down range.

Warning: This is not an overly forgiving club. There is a definite sweet spot. Since it was the first range session and I was getting used to the 5-hybrid, I had a few bad swings. They were not forgiven by the club. I would not recommend this club to high handicappers looking for a hybrid.

I like what this club produced as far as ball flight and feedback. The only gripe I have with the club at this point is that it is a 5-hybrid and I am not used to it. Hardly the clubs fault. I saw some nice results with it, being the first session of the year. There will be many more sessions and rounds with the club. I did not find the club to overly forgiving, but that is probably more on the indian, and less on the arrow.

Great write ups guys, you put some good initial thoughts out there on this club and I can't wait to hear some more about it.

Hi Blugold, Nice first write-up! I picked up my 5 TP hybrid today and I am looking forward to hitting it. What is your normal ball flight and i would be good to know your handicap as well. I draw the ball as well but so far I am not hitting any hooks with my 3 and 4 hybrids.

I am a 16 handicap. My normal ball flight with a 5-iron (I play Adams Idea Pro Gold irons) is medium high. I would say that my normal ball flight with an iron was similar to the ball flight from the Rescue 11 as far as overall height. But I did feel like I was getting more carry with the Taylormade. The ball seemed to hang in the air forever. Which I liked. I don't usually hook my 3 or 4 hybrid either, which is why I am not overly concerned with the hooks I was getting today. Like I said in my initial write up, the hooks were most likely a result of the swing and my unfamiliarity with the club.

Awesome.. Thanks for answering my questions. I am really looking forward to your thoughts down the road.
I am a 16 handicap. My normal ball flight with a 5-iron (I play Adams Idea Pro Gold irons) is medium high. I would say that my normal ball flight with an iron was similar to the ball flight from the Rescue 11 as far as overall height. But I did feel like I was getting more carry with the Taylormade. The ball seemed to hang in the air forever. Which I liked. I don't usually hook my 3 or 4 hybrid either, which is why I am not overly concerned with the hooks I was getting today. Like I said in my initial write up, the hooks were most likely a result of the swing and my unfamiliarity with the club.

No problem sfj. Keep asking the questions. That is what I am here for as a tester of the club.

Alright i just got home from a 2 1/2 hour (4 large buckets) range session so give me a little bit to get my first on course review up. Little Teaser, THIS CLUB IS VERY VERY SPECIAL, YOU WONT REGRET BUYING ONE

That's a long range session. I sure hope that you didn't just hit the Rescue 11 for 2-1/2 hours.

You are killing me... lol.. I am really looking forward to your thoughts, although I think you pretty much gave it away with your last sentence..
Alright i just got home from a 2 1/2 hour (4 large buckets) range session so give me a little bit to get my first on course review up. Little Teaser, THIS CLUB IS VERY VERY SPECIAL, YOU WONT REGRET BUYING ONE

I am just getting back into the game. It's been 2 years since I have really focused on my game. I think I needed a little time off from the competetive golf in high school and college. Plus I was coaching high school and legion baseball Spring and Summer.

Anyways, I have never hit hybirds, but they will going into my bag very soon (2 Baffler Pros from my cousin whom is a pro, but just got switched to Titleist). 1H and 3H. Very excited to get them since I have never actually played a round on the course.

However, if I don't like the Baffler Pro's, I will be looking seriously into the R11 Rescue. Great looking club and sets up nicely. I hit them at the local Golf Galaxy and they had great feel and I loved the feedback I was getting from them. They had their simulator cranked up though. I was hitting the 3H 260 consistenly. I hit my Driver 280. Something ain't right. Like many have said though, this is not a club for someone that has a lot of off center hits. If you need a club with forgiveness go with the Superfast Hybird because it feels great too!

First Range Session

First Range Session

Alright guys im back from my first range session (long one lol) and i dont think i could be happier with this hybrid. I hit a totall of 4 large buckets which is allot of balls for this early in the year lol, only played 1 full round thus far but have been to the chipping/putting green allot. First bucket i just warmed up starting with the PW and moving on up ect...Now for the results.

Feel- I hit my 09 Rescue TP 10times then moved on to the Rescue11, there is no doubt in my mind that the Rescue 11 feels better than the 09, i didnt think it was possible cause i loved the feel of the 09TP. The face is pretty hot as well, its a solid feel kinda like the R11 Driver. The ball really feels like it explodes off the face. TM got the weighting of this club PERFECT, paired with the RIP 85 its very accurate and so smooth.:banana:

Sound- Love It, not as loud and tinny sounding as the 09 RescueTP, the Rescue11 has a deeper and more solid sound, its kinda hard to explain but it sounds great.

Distance- Pretty Damn Good, i wasnt swinging really hard today(about 80-85%) and i was seeing around 205-210 with the 4 21*hybrid. I bet i could get 220-225 out of this club on course swinging normal and with my good balls. There were a couple times i went after one and the first one i hooked way left and almost hit a car:banghead:(range runs right along the road for some reason), the second one i went after was perfect and cleared the fence at the back of the range so i couldnt see where it landed to get a good idea on distance but my guess would be around 220+.

Workability- This is very easy to work the ball with. Draw or Fade its a breeze with the Rescue11. Here is where it really shined for me, i had trouble controlling the trajectory with the 09 Rescue TP, i could but it was very hard for some reason, with the Rescue 11 it was much easier, i could hit that high soft landing ball and could also hit that low stinger/punch shot, very pleased with it.

Durability- Ok folks i beat the dog crap out of this today, at one point i couldnt even see the sole it was so muddy, allot of rain yesterday and the range was really soft. After 4 buckets this still looks new, ill just let the pics speak for themselves. I also wanted to test the paint where the crown meets the face as every TM wood/hybrid i have had if you catch one high will chip. Its not a big deal cause you cant see it at address, only when your looking up close cause about 1mm or 2mm of the white paint goes down onto the face. If you have one you will know what im talking about. I tee'd 2 balls up and talked my self into doing this for everybody on THP cause i had a really hard time trying to sky one on purpose. 2 balls skyed and the only thing that happened was a couple chips where the crown and face meet:clapp: Cant even tell a ball hit the white paint on the crown, i was very surprised. Its durable alright

Performance- This thing performed great, i was hitting shots off the toe and heel to compare distance with good shots and was surprised i didnt see more of a loss, lost about 5-7 yards on toe and heel shots, thats not bad IMO. Turf interaction was great, it really cuts through the grass and ground. There were a couple times i took a divot the size of my PW's normal divot and i didnt even know it until i saw it flying through the air lol. Like a knife through hot butter.

Final Thoughts- Im very thankfull to be testing this out, so far its a big improvement over my 09 Rescue TP and i didnt think that was possible. I cant wait to get out on course and play some rounds and see how the ball holds the green. Thanks again THP and Taylormade im looking forward to the long term testing. On to the Pics. The one of my R11 driver face just wanted to show where i was hitting them lol, not to shabby for the beggining of the year.

1stRangeSoleClean.jpg
[/IMG]
1stRangeSoleDirty.jpg
[/IMG]
1stRangeFace.jpg
[/IMG]
1stRangeFaceChips.jpg
[/IMG]
3 out of 4 not to bad lol
R11FacePic.jpg
[/IMG]

Good stuff 10yarddraw.

I hit mine during the 9hes I played today but didn't do overly fantastic. I think it may be my weapon of choice after bad drivers and second shots on par 5s. I need to adjust to increase loft.

Hey, very well done 10YD... You put it through the ringer today and it sounds like it came through with flying colors. I am in complete agreement with you that the R11 hybrids are an improvement. The R11 #3 hybrid is so much easier to get in the air vs. my 09 #3 rescue. I hope you get out there to the course soon and keep us posted. Great work!
Alright guys im back from my first range session (long one lol) and i dont think i could be happier with this hybrid. I hit a totall of 4 large buckets which is allot of balls for this early in the year lol, only played 1 full round thus far but have been to the chipping/putting green allot. First bucket i just warmed up starting with the PW and moving on up ect...Now for the results.

Feel- I hit my 09 Rescue TP 10times then moved on to the Rescue11, there is no doubt in my mind that the Rescue 11 feels better than the 09, i didnt think it was possible cause i loved the feel of the 09TP. The face is pretty hot as well, its a solid feel kinda like the R11 Driver. The ball really feels like it explodes off the face. TM got the weighting of this club PERFECT, paired with the RIP 85 its very accurate and so smooth.:banana:

Sound- Love It, not as loud and tinny sounding as the 09 RescueTP, the Rescue11 has a deeper and more solid sound, its kinda hard to explain but it sounds great.

Distance- Pretty Damn Good, i wasnt swinging really hard today(about 80-85%) and i was seeing around 205-210 with the 4 21*hybrid. I bet i could get 220-225 out of this club on course swinging normal and with my good balls. There were a couple times i went after one and the first one i hooked way left and almost hit a car:banghead:(range runs right along the road for some reason), the second one i went after was perfect and cleared the fence at the back of the range so i couldnt see where it landed to get a good idea on distance but my guess would be around 220+.

Workability- This is very easy to work the ball with. Draw or Fade its a breeze with the Rescue11. Here is where it really shined for me, i had trouble controlling the trajectory with the 09 Rescue TP, i could but it was very hard for some reason, with the Rescue 11 it was much easier, i could hit that high soft landing ball and could also hit that low stinger/punch shot, very pleased with it.

Durability- Ok folks i beat the dog crap out of this today, at one point i couldnt even see the sole it was so muddy, allot of rain yesterday and the range was really soft. After 4 buckets this still looks new, ill just let the pics speak for themselves. I also wanted to test the paint where the crown meets the face as every TM wood/hybrid i have had if you catch one high will chip. Its not a big deal cause you cant see it at address, only when your looking up close cause about 1mm or 2mm of the white paint goes down onto the face. If you have one you will know what im talking about. I tee'd 2 balls up and talked my self into doing this for everybody on THP cause i had a really hard time trying to sky one on purpose. 2 balls skyed and the only thing that happened was a couple chips where the crown and face meet:clapp: Cant even tell a ball hit the white paint on the crown, i was very surprised. Its durable alright

Performance- This thing performed great, i was hitting shots off the toe and heel to compare distance with good shots and was surprised i didnt see more of a loss, lost about 5-7 yards on toe and heel shots, thats not bad IMO. Turf interaction was great, it really cuts through the grass and ground. There were a couple times i took a divot the size of my PW's normal divot and i didnt even know it until i saw it flying through the air lol. Like a knife through hot butter.

Final Thoughts- Im very thankfull to be testing this out, so far its a big improvement over my 09 Rescue TP and i didnt think that was possible. I cant wait to get out on course and play some rounds and see how the ball holds the green. Thanks again THP and Taylormade im looking forward to the long term testing. On to the Pics. The one of my R11 driver face just wanted to show where i was hitting them lol, not to shabby for the beggining of the year.

1stRangeSoleClean.jpg
[/IMG]
1stRangeSoleDirty.jpg
[/IMG]
1stRangeFace.jpg
[/IMG]
1stRangeFaceChips.jpg
[/IMG]
3 out of 4 not to bad lol
R11FacePic.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks guys, im in love with this club for sure. I think im playing 9 after work tomorrow with my Pops so ill update again tomorrow night. Im getting ready to update the TM Tour Ghost Putter thread since i got my new TM-880 Maranello today, lets just say its another Huge improvement over my daytona 1 ghost. The new insert is amazing, anyway thats for that thread and not this one lol

Does THP have many head to head comparrisons to see how this New hybrid from TM compares to the Adams hybrids which seem to have that part of the equipment area locked up. It use to be TM had a great Rescue hybrid but it seems to have never gotten anty better then the original series. JMO.

Sounds like a sweet club... But the heel-biased placement of the alignment (sic) graphic bothers me from here! I can't help but suspect the engineering department at TM is cringing from what must be an error.
I noticed the weird placement in their latest advertisement. I thought it was a Photoshop mistake!

Back