Cleveland 588 Wedges

I bought 3 each in 51º and 56º several years ago when my club had a clearance sale. I still use them, but the last ones really need replacing now.

I like to hear this. I'd love to give these a go. The TA7's I hit were heaven and a re release, and to think these could be the same if they were to come out.... Just really makes me realize what great gear I've missed out on during the pre THP days.

Yoccos I think it's just a matter of time. I can't imagine Cleveland not rereleasing these at some point. I mean when these came out I am not sure you could find a bag at the local CC that didn't have these in them. At least in my neck of the woods.

I think it could be a great move to re-release them. With all of the talk about new grooves and new wedges, why not give people a great wedge that they are already comfortable with, just with the new grooves. Make it happen Cleveland!

Mmmm.......these in a black pearl finish!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

They already said if they come out in black pearl they won't be avaliable in lefty.

Yoccos I think it's just a matter of time. I can't imagine Cleveland not rereleasing these at some point. I mean when these came out I am not sure you could find a bag at the local CC that didn't have these in them. At least in my neck of the woods.

I think it could be a great move to re-release them. With all of the talk about new grooves and new wedges, why not give people a great wedge that they are already comfortable with, just with the new grooves. Make it happen Cleveland!

That would truly make my freaking YEAR!

I’ve seen more knock-offs of this wedge than just about anything ever produced. I actually owned a couple (knock offs) and would love to try the real thing, as I’m sure they’d blow the cheapo’s out of the water.

Nice pic of a non-Cleveland staffer playing these at Tavistock ironically.

1216155999_Ngcq8-L-1.jpg

Wow. These are really pretty. Is it sad that I have never seen a set of these in person?

I have a 56* in beryllium copper and still use it when other wedges misbehave.

I have a little chipping with it; it has a blunted face to the sole and can get stuck in our bermuda rough.

So, what is it about these wedges that makes them so popular with touring pro's?

So, what is it about these wedges that makes them so popular with touring pro's?

Hawk my bet is because a lot of them have played them for a long time that it would be tough to switch. For me wedges are like 3 woods. Once you find one it is tough to make the switch.

I think comfort is part of it, but even guys not on their staff switch to them. Versatility and feel.

Makes sense to me. Now you have me pondering these wedges lol.

Makes sense to me. Now you have me pondering these wedges lol.

Thats the problem though, you can ponder them all you want but you can't get your hands on them.

Thats the problem though, you can ponder them all you want but you can't get your hands on them.

Sure you can. Seem to be going for 70 bucks atm.

I bought a 588 gunmetal finish 50* as my first real wedge on a Thursday. I had a full set of 3 wedges by Sunday and kept them for 5 years, which is an eternity in my bag. The TA900 they "replaced" it with started their slide in market share and let the Vokey's take off. Still the best looking wedge I've ever owned.

Someone earlier asked if they were the original DSG. Not really, that was the Cobra Trusty Rusty. Which is also a legendary wedge is it's own right, but never in the same realm of popularity as the 588.

Great minds think a like man....I just posted the same thing on the home page article. The look and feel of yesteryear with the grooves of today? Makes too much sense.

Developing the wedges would easy too.....the molds, etc have already been made so all they have to do is pour/cast away! No new molds to make so it should be easy to bring these back to mass market with the twist of new grooves

588 paired with a spinner shaft? What a pairing that would be!

I have a few spots Im gonna check out for these. It's funny because I swear it's just one of those wedges I've seen. Now that I'm looking for some I may not find them lol.

I have a few spots Im gonna check out for these. It's funny because I swear it's just one of those wedges I've seen. Now that I'm looking for some I may not find them lol.

Please do...hehe

Cleveland always seems to be good at bringing back older designs. Maybe this is their chance?

You know I will! I don't think Ill get the same look as when I was asking to pick up the VAS lol. There is this little shop right by a golf course that I absolutely love. Lots of the older models and a pretty cool guy. You just never know if he is gonna be out golfing so the store may be closed. That I can respect! If I didn't have a couple conference calls I'd be out and aboot now.

Please do...hehe

This was also my first "real" wedge as well. I bought a 53* off a buddy of mine and immediately it became my favorite club in my bag. I used that wedge until it was just completely worn down. Before this wedge I used the PW that came with whatever set I had at the time. The 588 was a game changer for me and I'd love to see it make a comeback.

You know I will! I don't think Ill get the same look as when I was asking to pick up the VAS lol. There is this little shop right by a golf course that I absolutely love. Lots of the older models and a pretty cool guy. You just never know if he is gonna be out golfing so the store may be closed. That I can respect! If I didn't have a couple conference calls I'd be out and aboot now.

For those that do not know, we do articles called Throwback Thursday and one of them was on the Cleveland VAS irons. I being one of the few people in the world that liked the looks of them, Yoccos found a set for me and got them for me. Wonderful gesture and they are in our golf room.

Back