Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

I have had the 2.0s for 3+ months now and love hitting them. I have previously only played blades/players irons so these feel more forgiving (I am playing much less now). I have found I hit these 2-3 clubs further than other sets and hit the 3 iron off most tees now (about the same as my 3 wood (235-245)). The big issue I have is the fact that the really good swings I make are making a huge difference to the distance. My very best shots always carry the green. My stock shots are consistent, but when I think I can get there with a hard 6 rather than a smooth 5 I almost always hit it way over the back.
Overall I love hitting these clubs but it is frustrating to make a double with a shot you think is the best in your bag.

Interesting comment about your 'really good swings I make are making a huge difference to the distance. My very best shots always carry the green.' Makes me think early generation PINGS. I was, way back in the day, a single handicapper and I felt when I hit a PING good it was a flyer type hit that went too far. Any other 2.0 players seeing this? I'm a fairly good iron striker (my problem is off the tee) and it sounds like the 2.0's may have some of that 'flyer' syndrome. I'm stuck in snowy New England so I've just had mats to hit off. I've hit the 2.0's and the new Cleveland CG16's. Despite the love at first site/hit I had with the 2.0's I seem to like the feel of the CG16's a little better but my full opinion will only be when I get a chance to hit both off grass and see how they feel when taking a divot. Lastly there's a big lovefest with the new Taylormade CB's here at THP. I haven't had the chance hit them yet. Anyone had the chance to hit the Cleveland CG16's and Taylormade CB's and how to they compare?

Interesting comment about your 'really good swings I make are making a huge difference to the distance. My very best shots always carry the green.' Makes me think early generation PINGS. I was, way back in the day, a single handicapper and I felt when I hit a PING good it was a flyer type hit that went too far. Any other 2.0 players seeing this? I'm a fairly good iron striker (my problem is off the tee) and it sounds like the 2.0's may have some of that 'flyer' syndrome. I'm stuck in snowy New England so I've just had mats to hit off. I've hit the 2.0's and the new Cleveland CG16's. Despite the love at first site/hit I had with the 2.0's I seem to like the feel of the CG16's a little better but my full opinion will only be when I get a chance to hit both off grass and see how they feel when taking a divot. Lastly there's a big lovefest with the new Taylormade CB's here at THP. I haven't had the chance hit them yet. Anyone had the chance to hit the Cleveland CG16's and Taylormade CB's and how to they compare?

I somewhat feel like that as well. Some shots take off for me 15+ yards longer than they normally do. I'd like to get my 6 bent to fit me so I can get a good bearing on it

All those 2.0 6 irons out there, let's hear what some of you guys think of them.

All those 2.0 6 irons out there, let's hear what some of you guys think of them.

I actually really enjoyed this club although ours came with a graphite M flex shaft. The distance was really good and my missed shots were not so bad. I would put these in my top two irons to seriously consider gaming.

I actually really enjoyed this club although ours came with a graphite M flex shaft. The distance was really good and my missed shots were not so bad. I would put these in my top two irons to seriously consider gaming.

Thanks OG. Glad to hear that you are enjoying the 2.0's.

I don't know yet, man. I hit one shot really far, but wasn't making consistent contact with them for the other 4-5 shots I took. I'm going to try it out more next time at the range since 5-6 shots in total isn't a fair way to judge any club.

[YOUTUBE]cIqFv_14Tvs[/YOUTUBE]

I was bored tonight and wifey actually agreed to do a video. Pay no attention to my daughter making noise in background. Wife had to hold her so she wouldn't try to get the golfballs. LOL

I didn't realize how much i15 do look like shovels compared to these! LOL

I really do like them or atleast the 6 iron. I really like the feel of it even with variety of balls I've hit with it. It has much different feel than i15 but that is just difference in material. It seems to be really forgiving and easy to shape shots. Next time I'm down to my friends shop I think I'm going to get him to throw a x100 in there. I like to see them with more boring ballflight when I take normal swing. Past few times I've been hitting its been going higher than I really would like. I was taking it easy in the video...no glove and shoes with zero grip. I was just making sure I didn't bust my tail and hit them solid. :D

I'm really glad to see people enjoying these irons. Taylormade is putting out some incredible products

just got an email from taylormade today: sending me a free 6 iron. i registered for one awhile ago - kinda cool.

Well I bit the bullet and bought a 4-PW set of these bad boys today. Damn you, THP! :)

Nice video JD10, got a nice swing there.

Well, 8 rounds in with these and I feel the need to gush about my absolute LOVE of these dang irons. The only PLAUSIBLE tweak I might make for them is after my iron shaft fitting I'm going to try and get done. My SS has evolved a lot and I simply want to see if the DG's are still best for me.

Great freaking irons, I've never been this completely satisfied with any of the other sets I've owned.

Well, 8 rounds in with these and I feel the need to gush about my absolute LOVE of these dang irons. The only PLAUSIBLE tweak I might make for them is after my iron shaft fitting I'm going to try and get done. My SS has evolved a lot and I simply want to see if the DG's are still best for me.

Great freaking irons, I've never been this completely satisfied with any of the other sets I've owned.

Great to hear! These irons are fantastic.. not quite sure they are for me personally though. They have an excellent feel to them

For those still pondering, Nailed it Golf has then on sale today, $399, http://www.naileditgolf.com/Default.aspx, here's the condition rating direct from their site: Condition: 9/10- These are very slightly used Refurbished Clubs. Some may even look brand new.

Hey guys

About me

Im 32 from the uk
i had never even picked up a golf club until summer of last year (2010)
had a few mates on at me to play with them, well i eventually played and i was complete rubbish, and i mean big time crap.
I probably took 300 swing that day and only managed to hit the ball 4 times :confused2:
But those four balls that got hit made me fall in love with the game there and then.

After playing another few rounds with my pals and using a spare set a crappy clubs
i went out and bought myself a used set of TM rac ( these were much better i thought)
but i would struggle using low to mid irons in fact i wouldnt touch any iron that was below a 7, and used my hybrid instead.

Anyway over the winter i had chance to practice my swing and for the last 2 months have had a club in my hand every day.
i was getting better but even at the driving range 3 4 5 iron would never come out the bag, i thought this is stupid im hitting my driver pretty well and my hybrid (both brand new TM)

there was nothing wrong with the rac it was more a lack of confidence from my half. and also the guys i played with all had fairly new clubs x22 etc
i felt i was missing out, they had great ball flight good distance, were my shots always fell behind.

Not for long thou :egyptian:

as you might have noticed i like Taylormade, so i went into my local pro shop i secretly was always gonna buy the TM 2.0 but tried a few other clubs, it didnt really matter how well i hit them
my heart was set on these and my mind was made up.

i purchased 4 - 9 + PW AW SW LW

i went with all the wedges for a few reason, i can now hit my 9 iron that of my old 7 rac at the range in winter, and felt i needed to make some distance up at the lower end.

But not only that i now have no trouble at all whipping the 4 iron out and driving it over 200 yards, something i was never able to do.

Im so pleased that i bought these they fill me with confidence and although i have only used these clubs a handful of times so far i know my golf season this year is gonna be really exciting.

And thanks to all the guys that reviewed them and took pics etc great work

So I've been back on the site for less than a week and read all of the great posts about these irons. I went to the local golf store today just browsing. Hit these bad boys and ended up buying them. Thanks a lot THP! Now I'm in big trouble. would one of you guys please explain it to my wife?

So I've been back on the site for less than a week and read all of the great posts about these irons. I went to the local golf store today just browsing. Hit these bad boys and ended up buying them. Thanks a lot THP! Now I'm in big trouble. would one of you guys please explain it to my wife?

Dear Wife
Since you know that nothing is more important to me than you, I have commited myself to maintaining my health at all costs.
Instead of sitting around the house watching TV drinking beer, I am now on a quest to work out more than ever!
My recent purchase of exercise equipment is but a small investment in my love for you. My workouts may take me many hours and many miles but I am willing to put in the sacrifice for our love..:love:

Last weekend when OEM, Hanks and DDec and I got together, three times I pulled one of OEM's Burner Irons to give it a go on extra shots around the course since I haven't hit them since the last THP outing. I'm still really impressed with the performance of these irons, and specifically the stock shafts.

OEM has the regular flex in his Burner 2.0s and I still was able to control the club and hit it straight. Probably a little higher than I would want ultimately, but still freakin long. First test was a 150 yard par 3. I hit his PW straight as an arrow, high enough to bring rain and it landed 5 yards over the green for a total of around 160 yards. These things just bomb the ball.

2nd shot. Short par 4, hit the 6 iron. Thinned it a little and still hit it at least 200 yards. 3rd shot, from over 200 yards to the green uphill and into strong wind, hit 6 iron again. Again, it flew straight and long, landing just abot 5 yards short of the green.

These irons just flat out work. They look good, are forgiving and feel pretty good too. I could game these for sure.

Last weekend when OEM, Hanks and DDec and I got together, three times I pulled one of OEM's Burner Irons to give it a go on extra shots around the course since I haven't hit them since the last THP outing. I'm still really impressed with the performance of these irons, and specifically the stock shafts.

OEM has the regular flex in his Burner 2.0s and I still was able to control the club and hit it straight. Probably a little higher than I would want ultimately, but still freakin long. First test was a 150 yard par 3. I hit his PW straight as an arrow, high enough to bring rain and it landed 5 yards over the green for a total of around 160 yards. These things just bomb the ball.

2nd shot. Short par 4, hit the 6 iron. Thinned it a little and still hit it at least 200 yards. 3rd shot, from over 200 yards to the green uphill and into strong wind, hit 6 iron again. Again, it flew straight and long, landing just abot 5 yards short of the green.

These irons just flat out work. They look good, are forgiving and feel pretty good too. I could game these for sure.

you were bombing these sticks last weekend.

GOOD LORD you are long!! I couldn't hit a 150 PW if all life on earth depended on it. You, my friend, are a solid 2-3 clubs longer than me on my best day.

Awesome results, and you don't game these ONLY because you are testing something else right now right?

GOOD LORD you are long!! I couldn't hit a 150 PW if all life on earth depended on it. You, my friend, are a solid 2-3 clubs longer than me on my best day.

Awesome results, and you don't game these ONLY because you are testing something else right now right?

Well, that's probably true. If I didn't win the S3 irons in the Christmas contest, and have the MCs to test right now, there's a very good chance I would have bought a set of Burner 20s by now. Because length isn't an issue for me, I don't "need" the length of the 2.0s to play effectively, but it certainly doesn't hurt. For me, consistent distance is more important than an extra 5 or 10 yards. But I bet I could get the 2.0s dialed in with enough practice time. I'm going to have a GI iron showdown at the THP outing.... should be fun!

Sorry, didn't mean to be a jackwad, but you posted that you were hitting them that length, with potentially (almost certainly) the wrong shaft, and most importantly straight! Seems like the right combo to me.

Dear Wife
Since you know that nothing is more important to me than you, I have commited myself to maintaining my health at all costs.
Instead of sitting around the house watching TV drinking beer, I am now on a quest to work out more than ever!
My recent purchase of exercise equipment is but a small investment in my love for you. My workouts may take me many hours and many miles but I am willing to put in the sacrifice for our love..:love:

LOL - absolutely love it! Just read this aloud to my wife and think I have permission to start pondering new irons!

Sorry, didn't mean to be a jackwad, but you posted that you were hitting them that length, with potentially (almost certainly) the wrong shaft, and most importantly straight! Seems like the right combo to me.

No, you didn't sound that way at all. I guess what I'm saying is that if circumstances were different I would have definitely had these in the bag by now, and still may end up with them in the long run. With the exteneded demo day this year at the outting I'm going to have a nice long time to compare them to many other irons to confirm what you have noted, that I hit these things really well and they seem suited to me.

No, you didn't sound that way at all. I guess what I'm saying is that if circumstances were different I would have definitely had these in the bag by now, and still may end up with them in the long run. With the exteneded demo day this year at the outting I'm going to have a nice long time to compare them to many other irons to confirm what you have noted, that I hit these things really well and they seem suited to me.

Cool, I look forward to hearing what you find. Wish I could have joined you all this year!

Back