Cleveland 588 Wedges

DSCN2152%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSCN2153%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSCN2157%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSCN2163%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSCN2164%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSCN2166%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSCN2170%20%28640x480%29.jpg

The 54* and 58* go in and out of the bag, they're out now as I don't think they fit the gaps with my irons. Some bag chatter, but lots of grooves left in them.
The 56* is my practice club.
Great wedges and I generally keep an eye out for them when looking for wedges. It was very disappointing that they discontinued them but I'm sure they'll be back and better than ever.

Im so glad this thread went up. Ive been super curious about the 588 wedges because it seems like each time a WITB goes up these wegdes are in it. There must be something special about them.

This is a brief article on the missing piece to many peoples bag, the Cleveland 588 wedge. If you remember this incredible wedge, we want to hear from you. What were your thoughts on it?

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=12830

My brother in law played this way back, and he still had it in his bag the last time we played two years ago. I wanted him to try my new wedges and put those old ones away, so he tried them out, but said he likes his old ones better. Far as I know he is still using them. After he raved about them, I thought I would try to find some too, but haven't had any luck.

Are you kidding me? I have the 49, 54, and 60. The first Cleveland wedges I bought. I have since purchased the CG14 50* and a CG12 56*(impulse buys). I keep putting the 12 and 14 in the bag, thinking they are newer, better technology clubs, but I just don't have the same results as the old 588s. I really like the feel/confidence of the 588s. I just took out the 588s and put back in the 12 and 14 wedges. My Burner 2.0 wedge is 45*, so now the 588 49* and the CG14 50* will be competing for a spot in the bag, along with the 588 54* and CG56*. I really hope you are as confused as I am. Damn, I got to quit reading all these threads :banghead:

I'm just think out loud... The 588.. THP Edition. POW!

I picked up a gunmetal DSG 52* and a TG Gunmetal 58* 588 at the end of last year and put Spinner shafts in them and they are awesome weapons. I asked my Cleveland Regional sales rep about these coming out this year with tour zip grooves (praying this will happen) and he said he hadn't heard anything. Here's to hoping!

I still have 54* and 58* 588 DSG RTG wedges. They rotate into the bag off and on. They are definitely the ultimate standard for cast wedges.

Ben it's interesting that you threw the word cast in there at the end. Do you find cast wedges to be inferior to forged? Not baiting just a question

Ben it's interesting that you threw the word cast in there at the end. Do you find cast wedges to be inferior to forged? Not baiting just a question

Not inferior, just different. I also have a set of Mizuno MP-T's that I consider to be the best forged wedges I've ever played, but I like the 588's better (and the cast Scratch 8620's). For whatever reason I like the feel of a cast sand and lob wedge more than forged.

Gotcha. Thanks for answering.

Not inferior, just different. I also have a set of Mizuno MP-T's that I consider to be the best forged wedges I've ever played, but I like the 588's better (and the cast Scratch 8620's). For whatever reason I like the feel of a cast sand and lob wedge more than forged.

Maybe its the metal and shape then. Maybe anyway. My Macbook is also forged. :alien:

did the Cleveland 588 wedge ever leave? Heck it’s still on the cleveland website, and I don’t mean the archive section!

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/UK_588-chrome-wedges__588C__viewProd_wedges.html

Wrong continent. :act-up:

Last edited:
It makes sense for Cleveland to release these. They might be the most popular Cleveland wedge on tour, of course we want them, lol.

Like I said, I still have my 56* and use it predominantly for my short game practice.

The people have spoken Cleveland, now make it rain.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I'll take the minority position here. I hope Cleveland doesn't re-release the 588.

Spoiler
My budget couldn't handle it!

I still have a full set of them, 52, 56, 60. I only use the 56 though. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much more use I can get out of it. My company got some CG 12 wedges a couple years ago through a vendor and use the 52 and 60 from that (we didn't get any 56). Quite frankly, I can't tell much of a difference between the two. Maybe that is just what I use them for and the conditions I play in.

I have used the 588 since I started playing. My Dad would get a new 588 SW every couple of years and would then give me his old one. We used to always get the copper ones until they quit making them, then moved to the tour satin chrome. One thing I loved about them was that they came in different finishes. I hate playing with chrome wedges! Too much glare, especially when you have to open one.

Wrong continent. :act-up:

I disagree! :D

I just noticed that I can get these little beauties at a decent price. hmmm.

Put up some pictures.

I'll be sure share some pics of mine this evening. It's not in the best of shape though.

I'm gonna go 588 hunting tonight after gym and range time. I'm set on at least one to see what it's about. I may just leave early lol.

Maybe its the metal and shape then. Maybe anyway. My Macbook is also forged. :alien:

Shape maybe. Not sure if it's the metal as there are also cast 8620 wedges I don't like (Vokey). I think it's more to do with balance. Every 588 (and CG12 for that matter... they are very similar) I swing just feels right. Right amount of heft, right amount of feel. Scratch replicated the feel with their 8620 wedges.

I love wedges with character though. Especially ones that have been personally put in that shape. Shows the true value of the club my friend. Can't wait to see them!

I'll be sure share some pics of mine this evening. It's not in the best of shape though.

Just goes to show how much of a feel game Golf is. To the untrained eye [me at first], these look no different than my X-Forged or CG15s. Obviously, this is not the case.

Just goes to show how much of a feel game Golf is. To the untrained eye [me at first], these look no different than my X-Forged or CG15s. Obviously, this is not the case.

In pictures you are correct. I think my CG15s (which I freaking love) are similar looking, but hold them both in your hand and the look is quite different.

In pictures you are correct. I think my CG15s (which I freaking love) are similar looking, but hold them both in your hand and the look is quite different.

The 588 to me, is a bit more compact looking. I also think that the 588 had the perfect leading edge of any wedge I'd ever played, and to me, that's what made it so freaking versatile. It's a bit duller than my Mizuno's but a bit sharper than my CG14's.

I love wedges with character though. Especially ones that have been personally put in that shape. Shows the true value of the club my friend. Can't wait to see them!

Well, this particular wedge of mine has character my friend. I've probably hit close to 10,000 balls with the 56*, as I still use it a ton for my short game practice. Ironically, the face and grooves are still in fantastic shape.

Back