TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Fairway Wood Review Thread

This is my only FW. Before I was testing this club, I was playing a Adams Fast 10 5 wood, also 18 degrees of loft (but men's senior flex). I have carried 3 woods (I mean a 3 wood, not they qty of 3) in the past, but I do not hit them well of the deck. (I had a sweet ping G10 3 wood, but I only hit it well off the tee). I also had a Cobra 3 wood, (senior flex 18 degree which is really a 5 wood), but that club was offset and I prefer a wood that sets up square at address. It was a pretty nice club, just not spectacular.

On my course, I can use the 5 wood off the tee to stay out of trouble (I hit my driver through the fairway on some holes of my home course from the forward tees) and as 2nd shots on par 5's. I cannot reach any par 5's in 2 anyway, so a 3 wood would not help there. My first FW was a 7 wood-Ping G5. That club was not easy to it off the deck, but I had only been playing about 1 year when I bought it and my swing was not consistent at all. I didn't buy a 5 wood until my swing got more consistent and I thought that I could use a little more distance on some holes.

It is worth trying this club in a 7 wood if you like 7 woods better than 5 woods. Or even try this 5 wood-I really like it. If you can hit a demo I think you will like it. Let me know if you have more questions. I answered this over the course of a half hour with my kids asking me questions, so I hope my answers are what you are looking for. This is the easiest FW that I have hit. I know I have only had it in the bag for a very short time, but it is growing on me quickly.

Thanks for the response :) earlier this year I was shopping around for FWs and hit with the 5 woods, but just hit with the 7 wood better. The next time I'm at the golf shop, I'll have to hit with this club and see how it does for me. I remember just hitting ok with the TM 5 wood. Now they should have the burners in stock, so I'll give it a try. Glad to hear its your newest club in the bag :)

Great write-up Duey!

Thanks buddy. If any specific questions I'll try to get answers for anyone.

None yet. I can kinda echo your thoughts about the SF off the deck. Never had really good consistent luck wth that. If I think of anything, I'll be sure to ask! Looking forward to more my friend!

I finally made it out yesterday for what I would consider my first legitimate round of the year and first time on the course for testing the SF 2.0. A buddy called yesterday afternoon and invited me to a very nice, very tight, private club so I jumped on the chance to play.

To start, uncovering the club and showing off the SF my friend was blown away by how sweet this club looked and after a couple dry swings his comments started with how light the club felt and ended with how he could feel the club head all the way through out the swing. He's now a fan. For myself, it was a mixed bag. This course calls for a 3w off a number of tee's and that's were this club shinned. It was very consistent around 220 off the tee on a still chilly spring day with soft fairways and little roll out. Very straight, low ball flight (not crazy about that), and easy to hit the center of the club face. But off the deck this thing helped me almost zero. By the fourth hole I was dreading pulling this thing out of my bag and honestly thats polar opposite to my R9 off the fw. I just could not get a clean sweep on this ball from the tight grass without slowing my swing way down and then I just was not getting the distances needed.

I have another tee time later today at another course and hope to spend a little time on the driving range with this first, but so far the R9 is leading the race for me.

great feedback Duey....do you think the issue with hittign it off the deck comes from the longer shaft?
I finally made it out yesterday for what I would consider my first legitimate round of the year and first time on the course for testing the SF 2.0. A buddy called yesterday afternoon and invited me to a very nice, very tight, private club so I jumped on the chance to play.

To start, uncovering the club and showing off the SF my friend was blown away by how sweet this club looked and after a couple dry swings his comments started with how light the club felt and ended with how he could feel the club head all the way through out the swing. He's now a fan. For myself, it was a mixed bag. This course calls for a 3w off a number of tee's and that's were this club shinned. It was very consistent around 220 off the tee on a still chilly spring day with soft fairways and little roll out. Very straight, low ball flight (not crazy about that), and easy to hit the center of the club face. But off the deck this thing helped me almost zero. By the fourth hole I was dreading pulling this thing out of my bag and honestly thats polar opposite to my R9 off the fw. I just could not get a clean sweep on this ball from the tight grass without slowing my swing way down and then I just was not getting the distances needed.

I have another tee time later today at another course and hope to spend a little time on the driving range with this first, but so far the R9 is leading the race for me.

Nice write up Duey. Sounds like it was a good option for you off the tee. If I remember right some people reported issues with hitting the original superfast off the fairway when they first got it. Hope it works better for you today.

great feedback Duey....do you think the issue with hittign it off the deck comes from the longer shaft?

Thanks. The SuperFast is only about a 1/2" longer than what I have my R9 at, so I don't think thats really it. The lie angle has the toe just a little higher and while I like the stretched out, low profile look off the tee, it don't suit me off the deck. The smaller pear shape of the R9 is just tough to beat at picking a ball and the adjustability of the loft helps as well.

Nice write up Duey. Sounds like it was a good option for you off the tee. If I remember right some people reported issues with hitting the original superfast off the fairway when they first got it. Hope it works better for you today.

Thanks ddec, my length really depends on a solid performance from a three wood. My short game was on fire yesterday, just had trouble getting there, lol.

Great feedback due. Ive been a big fan of the SF fw woods so I'm looking forward to the reviews.

Tapatalk: even for walkers

Duey, you're doing a great job on the write ups! Stick with it for a while and you'll soon find out that you'll be able to hit it off the fairway just fine. Keep up the good work!!

That was my issue with the 1.0. The thing is mini driver off the tee, but so difficult to hit off the deck.

Tap before talk.

My problem with the original was getting used to the weight (or lack there of). I think the weight, combined with the longer shaft will affect a new user. I choked up on the grip a little bit my first few times out. Obv, this club is lighter so there are more variables as well. Great work so far boss.

My problem with the original was getting used to the weight (or lack there of). I think the weight, combined with the longer shaft will affect a new user. I choked up on the grip a little bit my first few times out. Obv, this club is lighter so there are more variables as well. Great work so far boss.

Thanks Mardin. I have to admit, I never even tried choking up a little and even though its not much longer, that could help with the weight dfference. We'll check that out today, thanks.

Thanks Mardin. I have to admit, I never even tried choking up a little and even though its not much longer, that could help with the weight dfference. We'll check that out today, thanks.

No problem. Let me know how that works. I. can't wait to hear every else's views.

Due-I'm glad that you got a chance to get out on the course!

I think any 3 wood is hard to hit off the fairway-I am testing a 5 wood.

Due-I'm glad that you got a chance to get out on the course!

I think any 3 wood is hard to hit off the fairway-I am testing a 5 wood.

Thanks koko and your right about three woods, although the R9 3w, IMHO, is one of the easiest from that position. I thought it was long off the tee as well though until the SF 2.0 came along.

I have to say, yesterday I had one of those eureka moments with the SF 2.0 off the deck. I realized exactly what I was doing wrong and fixed it on the second hole of my round. Nothing more than keeping my head still, lol. The R9 is so easy to hit that I was getting away with poor technique, not going to happen with the SF. But, the rewards are infinitely better once you hit the SF properly. TC kept telling me these were a beast and I just could not agree based on my swing, but I found a different animal out there yesterday.

Off the tee on a short par four with a dog leg and water in front of the green, wind blowing 30 to 35 into my face, I hit the SF 2.0 straight as a string that pierced the wind and ended up in the best possible spot short of the green, 210 yards, leaving me 40 yards to the flag over the water. I don't think I could have hand placed the ball better. With out the wind that ball would have been huge, likely over the green.

Confidence in each club is such an important part of this game and after the one great shot of the deck on hole number 2 I knew it was there. My only miss giving now is that others will buy this club and my advantage will be gone.

good stuff Due....glad you figured something out yesterday. Sounds like it was a much better day.

Nice duey! The best thing about the SF is that you're just getting started with it, it gets better and better the more you get accustomed to it. I use to never hit 3w off the deck but I have no problem doing it now if I have to.

Good write up pal, and great tee shot into a wind like that!

good stuff Due....glad you figured something out yesterday. Sounds like it was a much better day.

Nice duey! The best thing about the SF is that you're just getting started with it, it gets better and better the more you get accustomed to it. I use to never hit 3w off the deck but I have no problem doing it now if I have to.

Good write up pal, and great tee shot into a wind like that!

Thanks guy's. As koko eluded to above, I don't think anyone really wants to hit a three wood off the deck, lol. For me it's a necessity. I'm the guy 20 or more yards behind the pack and my short game keeps me in the match. If I can stay out of trouble getting to the green, this little gem will be worth a bunch to lowering my score. I've felt very comfortable with the R9, but distance wise this one blew it away yesterday.

due how was the trajectory of the deck yesterday? I switched to a 4 wood last year because I hit the low ball off the deck. I know this club comes in a 4 wood option which I like.

due how was the trajectory of the deck yesterday? I switched to a 4 wood last year because I hit the low ball off the deck. I know this club comes in a 4 wood option which I like.

Great point ddec, I forgot to touch on that. I would call the trajectory mid for me. My R9 is a high flyer and I think thats were this gobbles up the distance. I would also call it mid off the tee as well, but it has this crazy way of showing what I call an afterburner in flight. It raises a second time in flight like something kicked in to give it another burst, hard to explain. My buddy noticed the same thing and made the comment that a mid trajectory flight like that shouldn't be able to go that far, lol.

Thanks guy's. As koko eluded to above, I don't think anyone really wants to hit a three wood off the deck, lol. For me it's a necessity. I'm the guy 20 or more yards behind the pack and my short game keeps me in the match. If I can stay out of trouble getting to the green, this little gem will be worth a bunch to lowering my score. I've felt very comfortable with the R9, but distance wise this one blew it away yesterday.

Great write up Duey! Would you say that your R9 was a better fit between your driver and hybrids? Is the SF so long that you would have a gap between it and your hybrid? Do you think a 4 wood would better length wise?

Great write up Duey. Good to hear your thoughts and how you can grow into this club. Glad though that you're getting a chance to head out there.

Great write up Duey! Would you say that your R9 was a better fit between your driver and hybrids? Is the SF so long that you would have a gap between it and your hybrid? Do you think a 4 wood would better length wise?

Great question 9i, I think thats going to be pretty subjective for each person, but I found that this will likely kick my 19* hybrid out of the bag and bring the 25* back in. I don't think the R9 was a better fit hybrid wise as I constantly had to push the 19* for 200 yards or more where yesterday I was able to hit a 5i into most greens and caught myself wishing I had the 5 hybrid. That area of 200 vs 175 yards is a tricky region for me. I'm really not used to being only 175 to 185 out, but the last two times out thats were I've been a bunch. Thats a strong 5i for me or a smooth/soft 5h.

Great write up Duey. Good to hear your thoughts and how you can grow into this club. Glad though that you're getting a chance to head out there.

Thanks Spank. Been a long winter, lol. We'll see plenty of rain/wind for the next month, but I can deal with that.

Back